The Best Fish & Chips

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
pfarmer241
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
2003/10/16 22:27:15 (permalink)

The Best Fish & Chips

If you are looking for a good dinner of fish and chips, visit the Cafe 776 in Englewood, FL. This is a little restuarant and the fish and chips dinner is more than most people can eat in one sitting. At a nominal price of $7.95 you get three large pieces of batter fried cod and lots of french fries. Their shrimp dinner is equally as good. It is always very busy, but worth the wait.

107 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6624
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 02:42:44 (permalink)
    Anyone in the Boston area should try the Sail Loft on Atlantic Ave. for really excellent fish'n chips!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 11:34:38 (permalink)
    Here's a little known fact....my Scottish forebearers had the 'real deal' on F&C, sooooooo, go where the Scots go,thats right ---Kearny,NJ,home of 'Argyle Fish and Chips'(located right on Kearny Ave) . wrapped in yesterdays newspaper(or earlier),delicious large pieces of cod,whiting or whatever came in that day off the boat, marvelously greasy,irregularly cut chips, all doused with pungent malt vinegar
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 12:26:24 (permalink)
    The best fish & chips I ever had was in London from one of the chipperies that are seemingly on every other street corner in that wonderful old city. A huge plank of breaded fish with formidable hand-cut fried potatoes. Yum!
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 12:47:37 (permalink)
    I never knew what the big deal was with Fish and Chips until I moved to Ireland. When the pubs disgorge their patrons at 11 p.m. the Irish lads and lasses line up at the chip shops like they were giving away free money.

I, not wanting to seem like a tourist (I actually wasn't, I was working there for a while making beer (talk about "coals to Newcastle)) lined up with everyone and got my first order. OH MY GOD! The stuff was wonderful. Big chunk o' fish battered in stuff that looked like glue (when you think about it batter is actually glue) and hand cut spuds. This entire mess was deep fried and thrown into a newspaper wrap. Not only did it look unappatizing in the grease, it looked worse in the greasy paper.

But oh the flavor. Delicious crunchy fish and tasty firm fries. Why, you might ask? I'll tell you why. This stuff was not being cooked in Hydrogenated vegetable oil. Oh No. It was being fried in Lard. The pig's gift to fine frying. I was hooked. I did this every night for months. While it was a bit rough on the old waste line (and I am sure on the blood flow" />) it sure was good to eat. Wish I had some right now.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 12:55:52 (permalink)
    My vote would be the fish & chips at the Black Seal in Essex, Connecticut (w/ a Newcastle Brown Ale, of course) !
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 13:03:43 (permalink)
    Does anyone remember the old Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips chain ??

We used to have them around here (SC) but I guess they went away many years ago ! I always thought they had excellent Fish and Chips. Then we got some Chappys Fish and Chips and they were good for awhile, but the quality went downhill and now they are all closed. About the only place now is Captain D's and they are awful there !!!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 13:37:09 (permalink)
    I agree with Kristi S. on this. Best I've had was in London. Swing a dead cat, you'd hit a Fish and Chips place.

For a time Treacher's F&C (along with Nathan's hot dogs!) were available at a small chain ("Miami Subs") partly owned by former Dallas Cowboy coach Jimmy Johnson. But alas Miami Subs is no more, at least in Dallas.
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 13:46:27 (permalink)
    There are many good to great fish & chips places in Eastern Ma. My 2 favorites are the Daily Catch on Hanover St. in the North End of Boston, a very small place, seats maybe 10-12; everything is cooked fresh from the docks. Grab your fish (or squid) and chips and eat walking around this beautiful, old part of Boston. Paul Revere park and Old North Church are practically across the street. Second favorite is Amelia's in Gloucester, across from the harbor and down the street from the Crow's Nest (Perfect Storm). Very good fried seafood of any kind, but the fried haddock is excellent; my preferred fish for fish & chips. They also have a great recipe for tartar sauce that it took me years to figure out. The owner, Amelia's mother Milena agreed to tell me if I had the recipe right if I promised not to spread it around, which I never have. Go there and try to figure it out; best I've ever had.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/17 16:23:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

I'll tell you why. This stuff was not being cooked in Hydrogenated vegetable oil. Oh No. It was being fried in Lard. The pig's gift to fine frying. I was hooked. I did this every night for months. While it was a bit rough on the old waste line (and I am sure on the blood flow" />) it sure was good to eat. Wish I had some right now.

MM, was that what it was that made it so good? I thought it was the combination of newsprint and malt vinegar that gave fish & chips (UK style) its particular taste...
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/20 09:13:34 (permalink)
    FYI Guys, Alton Brown of Good Eats had a super recipe for F & C a few weeks ago and I tried it over the weekend. Outstanding, better than any I've ever bought and the fries were double-fried and wonderful. Check out the web site for the recipe or let me know and I can get it for you.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1026
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/20 10:45:38 (permalink)
    The best I ever ate was in Ullapool, Scotland at Seefresh Seafoods:

And as Garykg6 says, the F&C in Kearny, NJ at the Argyle is superb!
    i95
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/20 11:26:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

The best I ever ate was in Ullapool, Scotland at Seefresh Seafoods:

And as Garykg6 says, the F&C in Kearny, NJ at the Argyle is superb!

MY, GOD !!!! It is pre-lunch, 11:25 am Eastern Standard Time and, without question, that is the most appetizing photo I have ever seen !! My stomach is actually growling !! On behalf of all of us pre-lunch east coasters, for the love of God, STOP TORTURING US WITH THESE MOUTH-WATERING PHOTOS !!!!!!!!!!!!
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/21 09:18:41 (permalink)
    Seeind that I'm inland and in Minnesota, fish n' chips like they serve on the coast is hard to find.
    But Saint paul, (actually a northern suburb called Roseville) has a place called Mac's Fish N' Chips on Larpentuer Ave.
    Great tasting Halibut slabs with their fries.
    I think one of their tricks is that they always use very clean oil for frying. Everything has a good fresh taste.

BTW, It ain't fish N' Chips, but the fried or grilled Walleye fillets at"The Tavern on Grand" in St. Paul is really good fish too.
    i95
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/21 11:56:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

We used to have them around here (SC) but I guess they went away many years ago ! I always thought they had excellent Fish and Chips. Then we got some Chappys Fish and Chips and they were good for awhile, but the quality went downhill and now they are all closed. About the only place now is Captain D's and they are awful there !!!

scbuzz:

Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips restaurants are alive and well with more than 100 locations nationwide (including one in Greenville, South Carolina). They're currently owned and operated by the same folks who brought you Pudgie's Famous Chicken (PAT Franchise Systems in New York) and their website is http://www.arthurtreachers.com/ . FYI.
    bubbaboy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/21 13:14:31 (permalink)
    i've always wanted to try LONG JOHN SILVER'S
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/21 13:32:08 (permalink)
    Thanks I95 !!! I didn't think to look on the internet .... DOH !!! , since I thought they were long gone !!

I'm in Sumter/Columbia, but the next time I am up around Greenville, I'll have to stop in and give it a try to see if they are as good as they used to be !!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/21 13:35:47 (permalink)
    quote:

That chain started in Columbus, Ohio. I know of just one Arthur Treacher's left in the Columbus area.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/21 13:43:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

That chain started in Columbus, Ohio. I know of just one Arthur Treacher's left in the Columbus area.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/22 11:04:41 (permalink)
    Since this topic has been active, I'll say here what I've mentioned at other times: Ye Olde English Fish and Chips in Woonsocket, RI, is extraordinary. The name may be silly, but it is fitting: the place was founded in 1922 by an emigre from Yorkshire. The batter is rich and offsets the slight sweetness of the fish perfectly, while the chips are flavorful with just the right mix of crispyness and softness. A special treat they offer is the fishcake, a thin piece of fish in between slices of potatoes, dipped in batter and then fried together in one piece. The potatoes almost melt into the fish, blending the flavors. It's like fish and chips in one, really special. The only complaint I have is their short hours - closed Sunday and Monday, and most evenings by 5 or 6 (Fridays until 8, I believe.) But well worth it - best I've had, including in England. And if you have room, it's just a short drive to[url='http://www.wrightsdairyfarm.com/']Wright’s Dairy Farm.[/url]

Here’s a picture with chips in the foreground, a couple of fishcakes in back at left and fish and chips back right. Man, I need to get up there soon....

Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/22 17:16:10 (permalink)
    Although not your traditional fish and chips, there is something special about getting the Ono Fish and Chips (they also fry up Ahi and Mahi Mahi but I prefer the Ono) at Alexander's Fish and Chips in Kihei, Maui. Of course, part of the great experience is taking your fish and chips across the street to Kalama Beach Park and eating them while watching the windsurfers and boogie boarders do their thing
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/22 18:35:25 (permalink)
    Mayhaw Man,
    When I was in Ireland, what I remember most is the early morning Guinness delivery trucks. They deliver so many half-barrels, so fast, that they don't even use refrigerated vans, they just load them onto flatbeds. In the small towns, there are pubs that must go through 15...20...30 kegs a night. Unbelievable.
    Wingster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/22 19:20:58 (permalink)
    The BEST fish and chips I ever had was in Dublin, Ireland this past summer, in the Temple Bar area. The batter was the most amazingly tasty and crunchy shell flecked with parsley that I have ever seen. Also, a small place called the Thistle (or Thistle's, I don't remember) outside of the international airport in Toronto is pretty great.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/22 20:16:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Mayhaw Man,
    When I was in Ireland, what I remember most is the early morning Guinness delivery trucks. They deliver so many half-barrels, so fast, that they don't even use refrigerated vans, they just load them onto flatbeds. In the small towns, there are pubs that must go through 15...20...30 kegs a night. Unbelievable.

I lived in a place called "The Wells" in Infield, County Meath. It was a free house, but Guinness was the majority of the beer coming across the bar, and it is about an hour west of Dublin proper on the road to Galway. Those trucks would show up in the back of the Wells about 7 in the morning and as my room was above the parking lot in the rear (literally) I have a much less fond memory of Guinees 1/2's being clanged around. What a racket

The Wells also serves Caffery's. An Irish Bitter made in Belfast. I am of the opinion that it is maybe the finest draft beer available in the world (yeah yeah you can throw Anchor Steam and Guinness in there, but it is really an amazingly smooth piece of craftsmanship).
    I actually prefer Beamish to Guinness, but it is less generally available the farther North and East you go in Ireland.

The whole thing was a great experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Lovely people, lovely country. If they would just get their act together as far as providing hot water I would move there. I lived in a town where you could get a T-1 connection at your house, but your chances of having hot water in the middle of the night in my place was zero. BRRRRRRRRRRR. Wet and Damp were the key words to all of my time there (summer or winter)
    Poverty Pete
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/22 20:42:53 (permalink)
    I'm a Guinness man, myself. As for the world's finest draft, Rooster's brewery in Yorkshire has some wonderful selections, but my all time favorite is Old Speckled Hen. A couple of years ago, I hiked the Cotswald Way, and had an OSH at every pub along the way.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/22 21:32:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I'm a Guinness man, myself. As for the world's finest draft, Rooster's brewery in Yorkshire has some wonderful selections, but my all time favorite is Old Speckled Hen. A couple of years ago, I hiked the Cotswald Way, and had an OSH at every pub along the way.

Did you have any "Old Spot"? The guy who is the brewmaster there showed up one afternoon at the Brewery in Abita a long time ago (1990?) and was an unbelievable character. He had flown to New Orleans to drive over to Cajun land to take delivery on his new "melodian", first time we had ever heard that term and I did not know what the hell he was talking about but it turned out to be a Savoire Accordian (the Stradivarious of the accordian world). He stood in the middle of the road and favored us with a few tunes (he was really good, once again, unbelievably, and one nice guy with a very good tempered wife). He had samples of his fine product for trade, but best of all he had a 12 inch enamel sign with Old Spot himself on it for a gift (when I asked him where "Old Spot" came from he told us "I name all of my beers after pigs"). I was able to go to his inn and brewery in The Cotswald's a few years later and he recognized me in the car park before I exited the car. If you ever get the opportunity try out his place and make sure you make the effort to meet the guy. Real Roadfood in a real old pub. Cool guy as well.

Here is a link for a brief description of the beer and the place from the Real Beer Page

[url][/url]http://www.protzonbeer.com/documents/27660-001228.html

edited for awful typing
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2876
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/23 04:22:36 (permalink)
    I would have to vote for the King's Head in Santa MOnica...also the best clam chowder on the West coast. I was disappointed with the fish in England because they left the skin on and it was extremely fishy tasting. And Long John Silver's is only good for Hush Puppies!
    ToddH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/23 09:45:42 (permalink)
    Did anyone here ever eat at a Hungry Fisherman restaurant? They were owned by the same company as Shoney's and Captain D's out of Pompano Beach Fl. The one here in Knoxville closed, and I haven't seen them since. They had very good fried fish and calabash shrimp.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/23 19:57:40 (permalink)
    Actually, I remember Old Spot. I stayed at the Old Spot Inn on, I think, my fifth night on the Way. Walking the paths of old England is a great way to find good food and ale.
    Stewdude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2003/10/23 20:20:41 (permalink)
    Assault and Battery in Greenwich Village New York makes a very authentic,very good Fish & Chips, along with mushy peas. And you get to finish off with a deep fried Mars Bar.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1