The Best Fish Sandwich(es)

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
cunamara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Joined: 2003/10/02 09:34:00
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 16:35:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kdiammond

I was broke and living in a rooming house, and here was a hot lunch! A whole gutted, bones and all thin fish, pan fried in cornmeal. This was slapped between 2 slices of Wonder fluff and sprinkled with hot sauce. Never had one better in the 22 years since.

I believe it was Don Quixote who said, "Hunger is the best sauce." One of the best eating experiences I've ever had was when I was "on the road" as a teen and into my 3rd day without eating when someone gave me a cold can of Vienna Sausage. Subsequently discovering that I'm no fan of that "stuff," I still remember it as epicurean experience.

Tom
#31
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Joined: 2003/10/30 12:30:00
  • Location: Hickory, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 16:43:56 (permalink)
WOW - what a turn the fish sandwich thread has taken...or swam!!" />
#32
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Joined: 2003/10/30 12:30:00
  • Location: Hickory, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 16:51:09 (permalink)
Since the 'tini' naming contest it has been hard to keep on track. I guess we have been sampling the winning combination....or what we have decided it is to us. LOL
#33
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Joined: 2003/05/06 15:45:00
  • Location: Joliet, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 16:52:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Wholey's fish Sandwich in Pittsburgh. 2nd prize goes to the Walleye Sandwich at Tavern on Grand in St. Paul MN.


Mark me down for a vote for Tavern on Grand, outstanding walleye.
#34
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Joined: 2003/10/30 12:30:00
  • Location: Hickory, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 16:54:28 (permalink)
Still want to know what a 'floating pig" is...how about it Ort. Carlton
#35
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 17:05:09 (permalink)
Isn't the hallmark of a good chef the ability to make a perfect omelete?
#36
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Joined: 2003/10/30 12:30:00
  • Location: Hickory, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 17:24:16 (permalink)
Whoa...getting deep in here!
#37
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 18:34:01 (permalink)
I know how to scramble eggs. I want to know how you guys do it?
#38
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 18:39:38 (permalink)
Cunamara: Roatan. Is that the island where a large sailing ship was lost in a hurricane a few years ago? And were you living there when it happened?
Cant remember the name of the ship, but I do remember the damn hurricane just seemed to follow it every place it went and all hands were lost. ...
#39
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
  • Location: Athens, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 21:36:34 (permalink)
Oh, Dearfolk,
A floating pig involves the slices of bacon "swimming" atop the fish in the sandwich. Yes, I had to ask, and that was the answer I was given, if rephrased herein. Dendan, I regret that I neglected to ask for slaw on it; I just might next time, if Mae's Whiz [All Around] is still there. And I hope it is.
Lleechef, it's not at all uncommon for me to eat at 3:30 A.M. Strikes me, though, that Louisville is on Eastern Standard Time. I was then living in Nashville, which is on Central Standard. So, by my Nashville yardstick, it was 4:30 A. M., at which time I was often eating something at one all-night diner or another in Music City. Some people go there for music; I went there to learn to write "away from home" (i. e., Athens/Atlanta), and in that respect, I succeeded masterfully. Many nights I wrote 6 to 8 pages nonstop, just listening to people's life stories as I s-l-o-w-l-y munched on something and drank highly diluted coffee.
When the U. Ga. Library closes at 2:00 this coming morning, I'll probably saunter by The Grill and have a bowl or two of slore (cole slaw) before giving up and going home to snore it off. My friend Danny fed me his Chinese leftovers on top of and three hours after a fine meal at The Normaltown Cafe, so I won't be particularly hungry.
Fully Informed, Ort. Carlton in Seemingly-Colder-Than-Marshfield, Wisconsin Athens, Georgia.
#40
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Joined: 2003/02/28 21:12:00
  • Location: McLean, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 21:44:10 (permalink)
Clothier -- if you machine washed his cast iron -- cannot say that I really can blame him (though I do not condone violence). Have a cast iron pan that will cook anything (including carmalize items) as its seasoning is about 100 years old. I can fry fish in this skillet with only the most modest glazing of any fat. It was one of the skillets that my great grandfather pack-peddled before he brought the rest of our family to this country from Russia.
#41
cunamara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Joined: 2003/10/02 09:34:00
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/10 23:39:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Cunamara: Roatan. Is that the island where a large sailing ship was lost in a hurricane a few years ago? And were you living there when it happened?
Cant remember the name of the ship, but I do remember the damn hurricane just seemed to follow it every place it went and all hands were lost. ...


It was the Fantome, an older, refurbished sailing craft that was ill-equipped to even come about in anything like those conditions, even in the lee of the island. The story is told in Jim Carrier's The Ship and the Storm: Hurricane Mitch and the Loss of the Fantome. It was a spooky read for me because, I kept thinking that if I had ventured out of where I was hunkered down, I might well have seen them pass -- which would have been even more spooky.

In the area where they down after losing all contact, they were being pummeled by 180 MPH winds and 50' seas and unable to do anything but keep heading into harm's way. The ship and its 31 crewmembers simply disappeared. Despite this being a diver's mecca only a few small items have been found along shores here. Fortunately, all of its passengers had been put off in Belize. If you're wondering why the hell they were out there, that's what much of the book deals with. -Tom
#42
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Joined: 2000/11/29 11:55:00
  • Location: Lexington, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 02:43:21 (permalink)
Michael's photo of the whitefish sandwich rattled my memory about a great plate of whitefish and an equally fine whitefish sandwich at a Traverse City restaurant in the mid 80s. We did a lot of asking around to find out where to go in town for the best whitefish. Could lleechef have served up that memorable fare?

When I heard part of the mass written for Leonard Bernstein's funeral, I thought about those Traverse City meals. The mass written by a close friend, surprised folks with the line, "Thank thee Lord for this tasty plate of fish."
#43
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
  • Location: West Chester, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 09:14:28 (permalink)
If there's a "best" fish sandwich, there has to be a worst. My nomination: Gefilte fish between two pieces of matzo.
#44
bumper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Joined: 2003/03/03 13:43:00
  • Location: maryville, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 09:39:06 (permalink)
IN Knoxville TN I really like the fried grouper sandwich at Kingston Alley on Kingston Pike .

" Large very tasty "
#45
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: online
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 09:43:07 (permalink)
Bumper, where have you been.

I will try the Kingston Alley. I have never been there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#46
bumper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Joined: 2003/03/03 13:43:00
  • Location: maryville, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 09:48:18 (permalink)
Once again lost in the busy world , when you go try the asian slaw very good !
#47
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7024
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 09:52:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Michael's photo of the whitefish sandwich rattled my memory about a great plate of whitefish and an equally fine whitefish sandwich at a Traverse City restaurant in the mid 80s. We did a lot of asking around to find out where to go in town for the best whitefish. Could lleechef have served up that memorable fare?

When I heard part of the mass written for Leonard Bernstein's funeral, I thought about those Traverse City meals. The mass written by a close friend, surprised folks with the line, "Thank thee Lord for this tasty plate of fish."

OK, 'fess up, where did you have that fish sandwich? I was cheffing in TC in the mid 80s! Wow, maybe you did eat my food......
#48
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7024
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 09:56:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Oh, Dearfolk,
A floating pig involves the slices of bacon "swimming" atop the fish in the sandwich. Yes, I had to ask, and that was the answer I was given, if rephrased herein. Dendan, I regret that I neglected to ask for slaw on it; I just might next time, if Mae's Whiz [All Around] is still there. And I hope it is.
Lleechef, it's not at all uncommon for me to eat at 3:30 A.M. Strikes me, though, that Louisville is on Eastern Standard Time. I was then living in Nashville, which is on Central Standard. So, by my Nashville yardstick, it was 4:30 A. M., at which time I was often eating something at one all-night diner or another in Music City. Some people go there for music; I went there to learn to write "away from home" (i. e., Athens/Atlanta), and in that respect, I succeeded masterfully. Many nights I wrote 6 to 8 pages nonstop, just listening to people's life stories as I s-l-o-w-l-y munched on something and drank highly diluted coffee.
When the U. Ga. Library closes at 2:00 this coming morning, I'll probably saunter by The Grill and have a bowl or two of slore (cole slaw) before giving up and going home to snore it off. My friend Danny fed me his Chinese leftovers on top of and three hours after a fine meal at The Normaltown Cafe, so I won't be particularly hungry.
Fully Informed, Ort. Carlton in Seemingly-Colder-Than-Marshfield, Wisconsin Athens, Georgia.

Ort., God bless any man that can eat at 4AM and write 6-8 pages nonstop. I would be the gal over in the corner sleeping soundly. [|)][|)]
#49
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Joined: 2003/10/30 12:30:00
  • Location: Hickory, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 10:02:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier



By the way, Traverse City sits rights on the 45th parallel and is half way to the North Pole.

Just thought I'd share.


Hey, the equator is half way to the North Pole if you are at the South Pole!!
#50
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 10:08:49 (permalink)
Believe it or not, I like Sonic's fish sandwich: nothing but fish & tartar sauce on a bun. Not gourmet, but reliable, quick, and inexpensive.

If a po-boy counts, the catfish po-boy at Mama's in Natchitoches, LA, is hard to beat.
#51
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7024
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 11:22:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dendan

quote:
Originally posted by clothier



By the way, Traverse City sits rights on the 45th parallel and is half way to the North Pole.

Just thought I'd share.


Hey, the equator is half way to the North Pole if you are at the South Pole!!

And the 66th is...........yes! The Arctic Circle! Anybody ever been there? It's beautiful, I think Sundancer has been that far north of Fairbanks.
Ok, back to fish sammiches.........
#52
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
  • Location: West Chester, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 15:50:49 (permalink)
We ALWAYS "doctor" the fish from the jar. It's been a very long time since I've had fresh made gefilte fish.
#53
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
  • Location: West Chester, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 15:57:59 (permalink)
Ok-you're on! Don't you think those cardboard FedEx envelopes will smell after holding fish??????
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

We ALWAYS "doctor" the fish from the jar. It's been a very long time since I've had fresh made gefilte fish.


Remind me in the spring, and I'll Fed-Ex you some edible fish.
#54
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7909
  • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 16:08:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

If there's a "best" fish sandwich, there has to be a worst. My nomination: Gefilte fish between two pieces of matzo.


Hows about lutefisk between two pieces of lefse. Oh, wait, that's another thread!
#55
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
  • Joined: 2001/06/24 11:08:00
  • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 16:37:09 (permalink)
Talking about fish sandwiches brings back memories of years ago when my children were very young. Our destination every Friday night (along with 100's of other people) was to go down to the "loop" in Oswego, NY which is right on Lake Ontario. There were several fish stands there, the most popular being "Rudy's". If the weather was cooperating, we would sit out at the picnic tables and eat our fish sandwiches (haddock) and try to protect ourselves from the preying seagulls! The children learned early to hunch over their fries and fish or they would go hungry. They were not the best fish sandwiches in the world but the ambiance was wonderful and we felt like we were really part of the "in crowd" for an hour or two.
#56
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: online
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 17:47:12 (permalink)
Around 1964 in Knoxville there was a party in a very nice part of town and they served gelfite fish from a jar. Within minutes many people got sick and eventually three people died from botulism. fortunately the commander from the local air national guard base was there and at the time, the base had the F-104's which is the fastest plane the Air Force has ever had. The only anti-toxin available was in Washington DC. They helicoptered him to the base where he flew the 104 to Washington in 15 minutes. That is 700 air miles away. These things flew better than 2,000 miles per hour. He landed, refueled, got the anti toxin and was back in Knoxville in 45 minutes. Many people were saved from a sure death.

It is said that a teaspoon of botulism equally distributed is enogh to kill the entire population of Knoxville. It is a anerobic bacteria that thrives in a closed container and is deadly.

I am sure that gelfite fish in a container is great, but I have never had the nerve to try it since.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#57
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 17:59:48 (permalink)
As an old seaman I'll tell you what we used to say about anyone who had become a pain in the ass: "Just like a seagull. eat, s--t, and squawk!
#58
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
  • Location: West Chester, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 18:23:12 (permalink)
Sundancer: That's the best excuse for not eating gefilte fish I ever heard. It's also a heck of a story. Wow.
#59
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18659
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) 2003/12/11 18:41:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Michael's photo of the whitefish sandwich rattled my memory about a great plate of whitefish and an equally fine whitefish sandwich at a Traverse City restaurant in the mid 80s. We did a lot of asking around to find out where to go in town for the best whitefish. Could lleechef have served up that memorable fare?

When I heard part of the mass written for Leonard Bernstein's funeral, I thought about those Traverse City meals. The mass written by a close friend, surprised folks with the line, "Thank thee Lord for this tasty plate of fish."

OK, 'fess up, where did you have that fish sandwich? I was cheffing in TC in the mid 80s! Wow, maybe you did eat my food......


I do remember having a good whitefish sandwich for lunch one day at the Grand Traverse Resort in 1984. But it wasn't the best I've ever had.
#60
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1