The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.??????

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 61
leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
  • Reward points : 0
The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 12:29 PM
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40863020

I know how much some people love "best of" polls...this one I couldn't pass up, since we talk so much about fried chicken places here...How many of you have eaten at one of these places that made the "Best" list. What do you think??? Comments on the selections??

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7409
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 12:43 PM
I'm totally shocked and pleasantly surprised that Two Sisters Kitchen in Jackson
a true locals spot that I doubt anyone outside of Mississippi has ever even heard of made the list. 
As someone who has been to quite a few Southern Style restaurants all over the south, I can truly say that Two Sisters Kitchen was one of my favorites of all time.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 12:56 PM
I can chime in on this one.

The entire United States?  They must not get around.

I've only eaten at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, but I've been there several times, both their Pico Boulevard location and their newest on Manchester Boulevard.

Is their chicken "that" good?  NO!  Is it good?  Sometimes.  Should it be in the Top Ten in the US?  I don't think so.

I've had so much that has been better.  The last visit I ordered white meat which I usually don't do and it was so dry, I had to douse it in hot sauce... not for flavor, but to get it down.

If talking the Southern California... Los Angeles and Los Angeles ajacent I find Mrs. Knott's much better than Roscoes.  Then again so are the chains Pollo Compero, Pioneer and Louisiana Fried Chicken.

http://global.campero.com/index.php?showPage=38

http://louisianafriedchicken.com/

My favorite at the moment is from the Philipine chain Jollibee:

http://www.jollibeeusa.com/

From the inclusion of just that one out of ten listing of Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, I'd say that those taking the poll don't get around much. 

Roscoe's is more about Roscoe's than it is about the chicken.

Would I go back?  Of course!

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4086
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 1:43 PM
And Stroud's not even on the list.  Those other places must serve up some amazing fried chicken!

Buddy

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 2:08 PM
No representatives from southern Indiana's "chicken belt", either.  I suspect Cajunking might be a little miffed!

There's a Harold's in Madison WI but I've never been there.

Brad

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 2:11 PM
I suspect that the only "poll" was of other members of the editorial staff at Food & Wine Magazine.

Chefs Michel Richard and David Chang are both highly regarded for fine cuisine.  That's probably why they have F&W's attention.

I must confess that I am in no position to contradict them on their choices, because the best conventional fried chicken I've had was at a couple of chains!  I've not been to any of the widely written about places. 

mar52
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 2:34 PM
Maybe Obama's stop at Roscoe's on his way to a fundraiser here put Roscoe's on their list.

MiamiDon
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 2:40 PM
Mar52 I had the rotisserie-broiled Pollo Campero chicken, but before I could try the fried, the franchise went out of business.

mar52
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 3:00 PM
MiamiDon,  They seem to be opening on the outskirts of Los Angeles, primarily in the Latino areas.

I now go to one near Hollywood Park.  They used to offer a Caesar Salad as one of their sides which made it better in my mind.  Now it's fries, beans or rice so it's not as healthy. 

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9809
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 3:49 PM
I have been to five of the places on the list and while a couple of them are quite good, they don't belong in the same conversation as Stroud's or even Bon Ton Mini Mart. And they list 2 places in New York City? Enough said!

mar52
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 4:07 PM
They obviously didn't try the fried chicken at the random gas stations in South Carolina.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/6/11 5:55 PM
Astonishing list.  I've been to Roscoe's (the one in Hollywood), and although I enjoyed it very much, I would never put it on my top 10 list.  Maybe top 10 in California.

The omission of Stroud's, Hollyhock Hill and/or Gray's Cafeteria, and one of my own favorites, Science Hill in Shelbyville, KY, seems bizarre.

If you click through to the additional photos, they do include Mary Mac's in their list of about 30 places, as well as several others like Jestine's Kitchen.  I've never been to the latter, but I know it gets lots of good reviews.. 

<message edited by rumaki on Sun, 11/6/11 5:59 PM>

2005Equinox
  • Total Posts : 219
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 1:15 AM
Dont know about anywhere else but here the Skyview Club wins hands down. Not spicy but VERY juicy and flavorful. Nice sized pieces. Even the white meat is very juicy.

MiamiDon
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 6:09 AM
mar52

MiamiDon,  They seem to be opening on the outskirts of Los Angeles, primarily in the Latino areas.

That covers a lot of ground here!

This one was opened right next door to a Pollo Tropical, which offers somewhat similar fare.  Pollo Tropical won.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3707
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 8:42 AM
Back in the 1990's when what I recall was their first USA store opened in Herndon, VA (suburb of WDC) Pollo Campero made the news because of the around-the-clock long lines of Central American Latinos hungry for a "taste of home".  Of course, this Gringo had to have a taste, too.

Their chicken is thinly-coated & presure-fried.  It reminds me of Broasted chicken (think Bon Ton mini-mart).  Of all the chains (KFC, Popeye's, Church's), IMHO, Pollo Campero is the best!

Now, they are also serving grilled chicken which my wife loves!  They also have a salsa bar.  I wish they also offered sour cream which goes great with "Broasted-style" chicken.

wanderingjew
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 8:59 AM
rumaki

Astonishing list.  I've been to Roscoe's (the one in Hollywood), and although I enjoyed it very much, I would never put it on my top 10 list.  Maybe top 10 in California.

The omission of Stroud's, Hollyhock Hill and/or Gray's Cafeteria, and one of my own favorites, Science Hill in Shelbyville, KY, seems bizarre.

If you click through to the additional photos, they do include Mary Mac's in their list of about 30 places, as well as several others like Jestine's Kitchen.  I've never been to the latter, but I know it gets lots of good reviews.. 

Gray's is good, but I can't see it being in a "best in the US" category.

mar52
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 12:49 PM
MetroplexJim: 

Now, they are also serving grilled chicken which my wife loves!  They also have a salsa bar.  I wish they also offered sour cream which goes great with "Broasted-style" chicken.

The Pollo Comperos around here sell plantains and crema so maybe if you asked for some crema... 

Glenn1234
  • Total Posts : 510
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 2:45 PM
MetroplexJim

Back in the 1990's when what I recall was their first USA store opened in Herndon, VA (suburb of WDC) Pollo Campero made the news because of the around-the-clock long lines of Central American Latinos hungry for a "taste of home".  Of course, this Gringo had to have a taste, too. 

Hi MetroplexJim -

I live in Herndon, VA.  Yes, those long lines were legendary!   They were hours long.  We waited several weeks for the novelty to wear off, and the lines to subside, before trying it.   Very good chicken. 
I think they opened around here in Herndon in 2003, maybe 2004.  The first one in the USA opened in Los Angeles in 2002. 

Glenn

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 3:09 PM
Don, there's one here in my neck of the woods on calle ocho and about a block past 27th ave. heading west on the south side of the road. I've never eaten there, but I pass it daily and it's open. Didn't realize that I might be missing out on something and have to check it out.

OxDawg
  • Total Posts : 51
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 3:35 PM
The chicken at Journey's End in Loganville Ga. is very good as is the Chicken at the Blue Willow Inn  in Social Circle.  Some of the best I've ever had was at the Coleman House in Swainsboro Ga. These three are the best restsurant chicken I have had and I have had restaurant and fastfood chicken all over the country also I had a mother and 2 grandmothers that could pan fry chicken with the best of them. The secret to good fried chicken is to start with good quality chicken, and go from there. My paternal grandmother raised and butchered her own birds, I will never forget her chicken, and have yet to duplicate it. The chicken at the Coleman House is the closest I have come.

MiamiDon
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/7/11 3:38 PM
DawnT

Don, there's one here in my neck of the woods on calle ocho and about a block past 27th ave. heading west on the south side of the road. I've never eaten there, but I pass it daily and it's open. Didn't realize that I might be missing out on something and have to check it out.

Yeah, I thought that there was another one in town.  My latest eating fad is Peruvian pollo a la brassa (?) from La Granja, which opened up on South Dixie very close to me.

* Roast Chicken

MetroplexJim
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 11/8/11 6:59 AM
mar52

MetroplexJim: 

The Pollo Comperos around here sell plantains and crema so maybe if you asked for some crema... 

Their crema for plantains is the Latin version of crème fraîche

It is crema agria (sour cream) that goes so well with broasted-style chicken.

I learned that "trick" by enjoying many times the BroastedTM Chicken at the late, lamented Whitey's Restaurant in Arlington, VA.  That chicken with beer-batter onion rings on the side, washied down with a few cold Coors Lights was a classic "Roadfood" meal!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A18147-2003May5&notFound=true    

If only Calvin had kept up with his 941 taxes ...  it really pi$$es me off that great establishment is now a #@^&-in wine bar.  Ugh!
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Tue, 11/8/11 7:14 AM>

MetroplexJim
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 11/8/11 7:03 AM
Glenn1234

MetroplexJim

Hi MetroplexJim -

I live in Herndon, VA.  Yes, those long lines were legendary!   They were hours long.  We waited several weeks for the novelty to wear off, and the lines to subside, before trying it.   Very good chicken. 
I think they opened around here in Herndon in 2003, maybe 2004.  The first one in the USA opened in Los Angeles in 2002. 

Glenn

Wow.  I know I'm getting old when I mix up my decades!

deeoh01
  • Total Posts : 62
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 11/8/11 7:54 AM
rumaki

Hollyhock and Gray's are well-known around Indy, but I wouldn't say they're the best around here.  I'd go with Mississippi Belle or Maxine's Chicken and Waffles before either of them.

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 660
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 11/8/11 8:32 AM
MetroplexJim

I learned that "trick" by enjoying many times the BroastedTM Chicken at the late, lamented Whitey's Restaurant in Arlington, VA.  That chicken with beer-batter onion rings on the side, washied down with a few cold Coors Lights was a classic "Roadfood" meal!

Yeah, I miss Whitey's.   Used to go there all the time when my brother lived by Courthouse Metro.  That was some seriously good chicken.

I've actually had some great food at Eat, the place that replaced it, but it's not the same.  I always find myself craving broasted chicken.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 11/8/11 6:06 PM
I think any 'Top 10' Fried Chicken list should be limited to an individual State, or maybe a Region. Trying to do one for the whole USA would have to be 'colored' (no pun) by other contributing factors...like the example quoted above about the narrow scope or sample of the judges demographics in this poll.
   If I were judging, I would probably be more biased towards the Mid-Western or Southern selections. When I visit the NorthEastern area of the USA Fried Chicken is not high on my list of entree selections. Same goes for my West Coast foodie desires !

MetroplexJim
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 11/8/11 6:26 PM
kaszeta

MetroplexJim

Yeah, I miss Whitey's.   Used to go there all the time when my brother lived by Courthouse Metro.  That was some seriously good chicken.

I've actually had some great food at Eat, the place that replaced it, but it's not the same.  I always find myself craving broasted chicken.

The immediate successor to Whitey's was "Tallula's", an estanlishment that catered to sandal-wearing gentlemen.  Eat Bar's menu looks interesting and includes fried chicken.

And they have restored Whitey's iconic signage:  http://eat-bar.com/ 

Since you are familiar with the Metro Corridor of North Arlington I know that you will find this to be very amusing:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo  Enjoy!

DougS
  • Total Posts : 475
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 11/8/11 7:37 PM
Thousands of people vote for Kentucky fried every day. Must be good to be that popular. Although, I do believe they have messed with the recipe just doesn't taste the same as when the Colonel set out with his pots and a dream.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Wed, 11/9/11 7:07 PM
ScreamingChicken

No representatives from southern Indiana's "chicken belt", either.  I suspect Cajunking might be a little miffed!

There's a Harold's in Madison WI but I've never been there.

Brad

I don't mind if the rest of the world doesnt know about the fried chicken trail here in SE Indiana, just means more chicken for me and my friends.

I have eaten at: (on the list)
Roscoe's
Two Sister's
Harold's
Prince's

They are good and I would eat them again and again

There are quite a few that could make that list, and many world famous places didn't make the list.

I think they need a new list maker!

MetroplexJim
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Thu, 11/10/11 9:42 AM
DougS

Thousands of people vote for Kentucky fried every day. Must be good to be that popular. Although, I do believe they have messed with the recipe just doesn't taste the same as when the Colonel set out with his pots and a dream.

Actually ... back in the day it was spectacular. 

I recall a road trip with my grandparents that took us through pre-interstate Kentucy in 1959.  We stopped at a full-service restaurant that featured "Col. Sanders' Famous Recipe Frid Chicken"; I had a 1/2 chicken dinner that was 10X wonderful.  Even the mashed potatos and gravy were fantastic; I ordered seconds.  Aside from the food I remember that we Pittsburghers had trouble understanding the Southern drawl of the waitress. 

A decade later I encountered Col. Sanders at the University Cafeteria in Charlottesville.  As he was dressed in his trademark "ice cream" suit and string tie (on which was affixed a pin identifying him as a Freemason), there was no mistaking him.  I told him about that dinner I had so enjoyed as a child.    He laughed and said "Those days are gone.  The only thing I recognize these days is the cole slaw. I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy my cookin'

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Fri, 11/11/11 7:15 PM
These lists are always, at once, hilarious and eye-opening.  There's a couple of repeats on the Bon Appetit list here, but I can't tell which list was written first.  I think writers (over)use the word "best" to grab readers' attention -- and it always works.  Having grown up in the South -- and now living in soul-food-starved New England -- I am not one to ever push away fried chicken, and I love it all.  Of the Yahoo! list, I've eaten at Pies-N-Thighs with Billyboy, and it was really great.  I've also found Roscoe's, Prince's, and Mama Dip's to be topnotch.  It's all depends on your palate, really.  I can't wait to try the other ones on both lists!    Chris

jackd418
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sat, 11/12/11 12:11 PM
They did include Mama Dips which is a good thing.

3fan4evr
  • Total Posts : 61
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 11/13/11 4:01 AM
Mama Dip's is wonderful for sure, but I must give a shout out to Bum's Restaurant in Ayden, NC. Undoutedly the best fried chicken I've ever eaten !!

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/28/11 4:17 PM
A lot of people seem to like Two Sisters, but I miss out on the allure. The chicken is OK, but no where near the best in Jackson, much less in the country.

wanderingjew
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Wed, 11/30/11 1:08 PM
mbrookes

A lot of people seem to like Two Sisters, but I miss out on the allure. The chicken is OK, but no where near the best in Jackson, much less in the country.

As someone who has traveled all over the south and southern Midwest and has had fried chicken just about everywere, the Fried Chicken at Two Sister's Kitchen is some of the best I've had.

Many have raved about the the Fried Chicken at Blue Willow Inn and Ms Wilkes' however I found the fried chicken at both places to be very ordinary.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 12/5/11 8:18 AM
About 45 minutes north of Kansas City lies the little crossroads of a town called Edgerton, MO.  All that's there is a great restaurant called Harmer's.  They have the brest fried chicken, and people discuss whether it's the cast iron skillets or some other secret that makes their chicken so good, but people come from miles around.

QFan
  • Total Posts : 641
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 12/5/11 7:21 PM
Just surprised that there's no mention made of Willie Mae's Scotch House in NoLa. Was (before Katrina) and still is one of American's unique roadfood establishments!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 12/5/11 10:47 PM
Had lunch at Pollo Campero today. Their fried (and grilled) chicken is fabulous. Now they are serving 4 kinds of fried or grilled chicken tacos. Three for $4.99. You pick which three of the four kinds you want. They all come "loaded". The price includes a side. I had the yucca fries today. After you've eaten yucca fries, you'll never want French fried potatoes again.

Twinwillow
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 12/5/11 10:56 PM
mar52

MetroplexJim: 

Jim, the (few) Dallas stores also offer "crema". Especially good with their incomparable fried plantains. Just ask for it. However, I recommend the sauce that they serve with the fried yucca. Fantastic! Like the Guatemalan version of "special sauce". Wait till you dip some fried chicken in that sauce!

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 12/6/11 12:01 AM
I don't know what you folks call "crema", but around these parts, the sauce is a forcefully seasoned sour orange/oil/onion/garlic sauce called Mojo. Depending how it's made, it can have a creamy look especially if it's based on a bottled mojo marinade that has xanthan gum and blended rather then discrete ingredients. That's served with smashed and refried green plantains that we call tostones and also with boiled yucca or as a sauce with Lechon or roasted chicken. Heck, we dip Cuban bread in it too or just about anything. It's Cuban Penicillin. Wait till you dip something in OUR sauce!

Twinwillow
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 12/6/11 12:08 AM
Mojo is a delicious spicy hot Cuban sauce as described above. In Mexican and Central American cuisine, "crema" is basically just, sour cream.

MetroplexJim
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 12/6/11 8:48 AM
Twinwillow

Mojo is a delicious spicy hot Cuban sauce as described above. In Mexican and Central American cuisine, "crema" is basically just, sour cream.

Your tips about what is now available at Pollo Campero will be most useful for my next trip there.  As an aside, several years ago I read that Wal-Mart would be offering in-store Pollo Campero in Latino neighborhoods.  I wish they'd do that for at least one of their four "super centers" within five miles of our home here in McKinney.

As the second ex-Mrs. Metro was a native of Bolivia my primary exposure to Latin foods (and sauces) is South American - the Andrean nations, Brasil, and Argentina.  In SA sour cream is crema agria; "crema" is crème fraîche.

Twinwillow
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 12/6/11 10:46 AM
MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

Your tips about what is now available at Pollo Campero will be most useful for my next trip there.  As an aside, several years ago I read that Wal-Mart would be offering in-store Pollo Campero in Latino neighborhoods.  I wish they'd do that for at least one of their four "super centers" within five miles of our home here in McKinney.

As the second ex-Mrs. Metro was a native of Bolivia my primary exposure to Latin foods (and sauces) is South American - the Andrean nations, Brasil, and Argentina.  In SA sour cream is crema agria; "crema" is crème fraîche.

At Pollo Campero, their crema is thick like sour cream. However, I've noticed at local authentic Mexican restaurants, their crema is not as thick as sour cream.

Jim, write me if you ever want to meet up at a Dallas area Pollo Campero for lunch together.
<message edited by Twinwillow on Tue, 12/6/11 10:49 AM>

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 07/10/12 12:28 PM
My recommendation for best fried chicken would be Cook's Corner in Dearborn, Mo    They claim their secret is their cast iron skillets.  They also serve outstanding tenderloins as well, and excellent homemade pies and cobblers.  Outstanding Midwest food.

shahadat991
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 09/4/12 2:46 AM
hello,
While fried chicken traces its origins to the South, innovative chefs across the country understand the innate appeal of the homey, crunchy, juicy dish. Here are 10 of the best fried-chicken restaurants you'll find:
thanks

MetroplexJim
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sat, 09/8/12 11:08 AM
Going back to the Yahoo "list" that started this thread - at least they listed one of my all-time favorites:  Prince's Hot Chicken of Nashville.  It is wonderous and this hilarious video really "catches the flavor":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg .

I am shocked that Stoud's of K.C. and Babe's of Dallas were not listed.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sat, 09/8/12 1:17 PM
I've had the fortune to eat at Pine state biscuits and princes.  I liked Princes for the heat and Pine State's biscuit and chicken was first rate. I don't think I have a sophisticated enough palate to judge fried chicken very well having grown up in oregon and not really being a huge fan of chicken in general. National polls are always interesting. I did not like Roscoe's all that much when i was there two months ago but it wasn't horrible. i hope some day to visit Kansas City and sample Stroud's.

Twinwillow
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sat, 09/8/12 4:41 PM
Although I still love Pollo Campero, lately, (due to their close proximity to my home) I've been using the drive thru at Popeye's. It's so convenient for me. I'm there and back home in less than 15 minutes with delicious, crispy, tasty fried chicken, biscuits and cole slaw dinner. I'm a very happy camper for only about $6.99.
<message edited by Twinwillow on Sat, 09/8/12 5:47 PM>

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9579
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 09/9/12 6:09 AM

RibDog
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Sun, 09/9/12 11:27 AM
I agree with Buddy that Stroud's should be on the list as it is the best I have had.

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 09/10/12 4:20 PM
If the folks responsible for that list are really interested in great fried chicken, then they need to get down here to southeastern Indiana, where the dish is almost an obsession. There's quite a few mom-and-pop places ( no chains of course ) in this corner of the state that serve up some amazing fried chicken. My favorite is the Old Brick Tavern in tiny Penntown, just a few miles east of Batesville. Other favorites of mine include St. Leon's Tavern in ( where else? ) St. Leon, and Wagner's Village Inn in the very German community of Oldenburg, several miles north of here. A couple of weeks ago I took Screaming Chicken to Wagner's and he gave their boid a big thumbs up. The Fireside Inn, the Brau Haus and Klump's Tavern ( taverns serving fried chicken dinners are big around here ) also have very good chicken, and every one of these places deserves to be Roadfood-reviewed.
<message edited by carolina bob on Mon, 09/10/12 11:29 PM>

MiamiDon
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Tue, 09/11/12 2:49 PM
Twinwillow

Mojo is a delicious spicy hot Cuban sauce as described above.

Cuban mojo is neither spicy nor hot.

ezrydr
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Thu, 09/13/12 7:15 PM
I've always loved Harold's, on Chicago's south side, but for the last few years I find that the fried chicken at Anne's Hideaway in Naplate, Illinois (about an hour west of Joliet), to be a little better.
<message edited by ezrydr on Thu, 09/13/12 7:58 PM>

oldrebel58
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/5/12 10:41 PM
I am not sure of the best f chicken in the us but i wonder if anyone has eaten at a Mrs Winners in Atlanta or other states or Frenchy's in houston. These are 2 of the best fc chain places i have ever eaten. Anybody know if Mrs. Winners is still going in some form after bankruptcy and are they still as good? Any info drop me an email!
hungry reb

Hepcat
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Mon, 11/5/12 11:36 PM
shahadat991

While fried chicken traces its origins to the South, innovative chefs across the country understand the innate appeal of the homey, crunchy, juicy dish. Here are 10 of the best fried-chicken restaurants you'll find:

Huh?! So where is here?

MetroplexJim
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? - Wed, 09/11/13 9:37 AM
marteenhook

If you have a Pit Barrel Cooker then you can make The Best Fried Chicken at your home easily.

Nice try, but this thread is about fried chicken.

marteenhook
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? - Thu, 09/26/13 3:21 AM
MetroplexJim

marteenhook

If you have a Pit Barrel Cooker then you can make The Best Fried Chicken at your home easily.

Yes dear You can do it. If you search on google How to make fried chicken in Pit Barrel Cooker then you can get lots of YouTube video for the cook.

wanderingjew
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? - Thu, 09/26/13 7:08 AM
MetroplexJim

marteenhook

Why are you even wasting your time responding to spam?

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? - Thu, 09/26/13 3:23 PM
We had exceptionally good fried chicken, following a reader's recommendation, at a place called Bell's Hamburgers in Toccoa, GA earlier this month.  It may not be as good as Gus's or Champy's, but it was a whole lot better than most that I have had. 

Ed Face
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? - Thu, 09/26/13 6:46 PM
Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans is my favorite. It has an amazing brittle crust, it's wet battered and perfectly seasoned, red beans & rice with pickled pork is the perfect side. Delish.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 61