The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.??????

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
2011/11/06 12:29:12 (permalink)

The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.??????

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40863020

I know how much some people love "best of" polls...this one I couldn't pass up, since we talk so much about fried chicken places here...How many of you have eaten at one of these places that made the "Best" list. What do you think??? Comments on the selections??

60 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 12:43:11 (permalink)
    I'm totally shocked and pleasantly surprised that Two Sisters Kitchen in Jackson
    a true locals spot that I doubt anyone outside of Mississippi has ever even heard of made the list. 
    As someone who has been to quite a few Southern Style restaurants all over the south, I can truly say that Two Sisters Kitchen was one of my favorites of all time.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8085
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 12:56:37 (permalink)
    I can chime in on this one.

The entire United States?  They must not get around.

I've only eaten at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, but I've been there several times, both their Pico Boulevard location and their newest on Manchester Boulevard.

Is their chicken "that" good?  NO!  Is it good?  Sometimes.  Should it be in the Top Ten in the US?  I don't think so.

I've had so much that has been better.  The last visit I ordered white meat which I usually don't do and it was so dry, I had to douse it in hot sauce... not for flavor, but to get it down.

If talking the Southern California... Los Angeles and Los Angeles ajacent I find Mrs. Knott's much better than Roscoes.  Then again so are the chains Pollo Compero, Pioneer and Louisiana Fried Chicken.

http://global.campero.com/index.php?showPage=38

http://louisianafriedchicken.com/

My favorite at the moment is from the Philipine chain Jollibee:

http://www.jollibeeusa.com/

From the inclusion of just that one out of ten listing of Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, I'd say that those taking the poll don't get around much. 

Roscoe's is more about Roscoe's than it is about the chicken.

Would I go back?  Of course!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 13:43:59 (permalink)
    And Stroud's not even on the list.  Those other places must serve up some amazing fried chicken!

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5155
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 14:08:37 (permalink)
    No representatives from southern Indiana's "chicken belt", either.  I suspect Cajunking might be a little miffed!

There's a Harold's in Madison WI but I've never been there.

Brad
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 14:11:12 (permalink)
    I suspect that the only "poll" was of other members of the editorial staff at Food & Wine Magazine.

Chefs Michel Richard and David Chang are both highly regarded for fine cuisine.  That's probably why they have F&W's attention.

I must confess that I am in no position to contradict them on their choices, because the best conventional fried chicken I've had was at a couple of chains!  I've not been to any of the widely written about places. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 14:34:35 (permalink)
    Maybe Obama's stop at Roscoe's on his way to a fundraiser here put Roscoe's on their list.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 14:40:38 (permalink)
    Mar52 I had the rotisserie-broiled Pollo Campero chicken, but before I could try the fried, the franchise went out of business.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 15:00:09 (permalink)
    MiamiDon,  They seem to be opening on the outskirts of Los Angeles, primarily in the Latino areas.

I now go to one near Hollywood Park.  They used to offer a Caesar Salad as one of their sides which made it better in my mind.  Now it's fries, beans or rice so it's not as healthy. 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 15:49:45 (permalink)
    I have been to five of the places on the list and while a couple of them are quite good, they don't belong in the same conversation as Stroud's or even Bon Ton Mini Mart. And they list 2 places in New York City? Enough said!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 16:07:06 (permalink)
    They obviously didn't try the fried chicken at the random gas stations in South Carolina.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/06 17:55:48 (permalink)
    Astonishing list.  I've been to Roscoe's (the one in Hollywood), and although I enjoyed it very much, I would never put it on my top 10 list.  Maybe top 10 in California.

The omission of Stroud's, Hollyhock Hill and/or Gray's Cafeteria, and one of my own favorites, Science Hill in Shelbyville, KY, seems bizarre.

If you click through to the additional photos, they do include Mary Mac's in their list of about 30 places, as well as several others like Jestine's Kitchen.  I've never been to the latter, but I know it gets lots of good reviews.. 

post edited by rumaki - 2011/11/06 17:59:20
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 01:15:36 (permalink)
    Dont know about anywhere else but here the Skyview Club wins hands down. Not spicy but VERY juicy and flavorful. Nice sized pieces. Even the white meat is very juicy.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 06:09:30 (permalink)
    mar52

MiamiDon,  They seem to be opening on the outskirts of Los Angeles, primarily in the Latino areas.

That covers a lot of ground here!

This one was opened right next door to a Pollo Tropical, which offers somewhat similar fare.  Pollo Tropical won.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4214
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 08:42:31 (permalink)
    Back in the 1990's when what I recall was their first USA store opened in Herndon, VA (suburb of WDC) Pollo Campero made the news because of the around-the-clock long lines of Central American Latinos hungry for a "taste of home".  Of course, this Gringo had to have a taste, too.

Their chicken is thinly-coated & presure-fried.  It reminds me of Broasted chicken (think Bon Ton mini-mart).  Of all the chains (KFC, Popeye's, Church's), IMHO, Pollo Campero is the best!

Now, they are also serving grilled chicken which my wife loves!  They also have a salsa bar.  I wish they also offered sour cream which goes great with "Broasted-style" chicken.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 08:59:53 (permalink)
    rumaki

Astonishing list.  I've been to Roscoe's (the one in Hollywood), and although I enjoyed it very much, I would never put it on my top 10 list.  Maybe top 10 in California.

The omission of Stroud's, Hollyhock Hill and/or Gray's Cafeteria, and one of my own favorites, Science Hill in Shelbyville, KY, seems bizarre.

If you click through to the additional photos, they do include Mary Mac's in their list of about 30 places, as well as several others like Jestine's Kitchen.  I've never been to the latter, but I know it gets lots of good reviews.. 

Gray's is good, but I can't see it being in a "best in the US" category.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 12:49:06 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim: 
    Now, they are also serving grilled chicken which my wife loves!  They also have a salsa bar.  I wish they also offered sour cream which goes great with "Broasted-style" chicken.

The Pollo Comperos around here sell plantains and crema so maybe if you asked for some crema... 
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 14:45:44 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Back in the 1990's when what I recall was their first USA store opened in Herndon, VA (suburb of WDC) Pollo Campero made the news because of the around-the-clock long lines of Central American Latinos hungry for a "taste of home".  Of course, this Gringo had to have a taste, too. 

Hi MetroplexJim -

I live in Herndon, VA.  Yes, those long lines were legendary!   They were hours long.  We waited several weeks for the novelty to wear off, and the lines to subside, before trying it.   Very good chicken. 
    I think they opened around here in Herndon in 2003, maybe 2004.  The first one in the USA opened in Los Angeles in 2002. 

Glenn

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 15:09:06 (permalink)
    Don, there's one here in my neck of the woods on calle ocho and about a block past 27th ave. heading west on the south side of the road. I've never eaten there, but I pass it daily and it's open. Didn't realize that I might be missing out on something and have to check it out.
    OxDawg
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 15:35:25 (permalink)
    The chicken at Journey's End in Loganville Ga. is very good as is the Chicken at the Blue Willow Inn  in Social Circle.  Some of the best I've ever had was at the Coleman House in Swainsboro Ga. These three are the best restsurant chicken I have had and I have had restaurant and fastfood chicken all over the country also I had a mother and 2 grandmothers that could pan fry chicken with the best of them. The secret to good fried chicken is to start with good quality chicken, and go from there. My paternal grandmother raised and butchered her own birds, I will never forget her chicken, and have yet to duplicate it. The chicken at the Coleman House is the closest I have come.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/07 15:38:19 (permalink)
    DawnT

Don, there's one here in my neck of the woods on calle ocho and about a block past 27th ave. heading west on the south side of the road. I've never eaten there, but I pass it daily and it's open. Didn't realize that I might be missing out on something and have to check it out.

Yeah, I thought that there was another one in town.  My latest eating fad is Peruvian pollo a la brassa (?) from La Granja, which opened up on South Dixie very close to me.

* Roast Chicken
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/08 06:59:13 (permalink)
    mar52

MetroplexJim: 

The Pollo Comperos around here sell plantains and crema so maybe if you asked for some crema... 

Their crema for plantains is the Latin version of crème fraîche

It is crema agria (sour cream) that goes so well with broasted-style chicken.

I learned that "trick" by enjoying many times the BroastedTM Chicken at the late, lamented Whitey's Restaurant in Arlington, VA.  That chicken with beer-batter onion rings on the side, washied down with a few cold Coors Lights was a classic "Roadfood" meal!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A18147-2003May5&notFound=true    

If only Calvin had kept up with his 941 taxes ...  it really pi$$es me off that great establishment is now a #@^&-in wine bar.  Ugh!
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/11/08 07:14:45
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/08 07:03:26 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

MetroplexJim

Hi MetroplexJim -

I live in Herndon, VA.  Yes, those long lines were legendary!   They were hours long.  We waited several weeks for the novelty to wear off, and the lines to subside, before trying it.   Very good chicken. 
    I think they opened around here in Herndon in 2003, maybe 2004.  The first one in the USA opened in Los Angeles in 2002. 

Glenn

Wow.  I know I'm getting old when I mix up my decades!
    deeoh01
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/08 07:54:05 (permalink)
    rumaki

Hollyhock and Gray's are well-known around Indy, but I wouldn't say they're the best around here.  I'd go with Mississippi Belle or Maxine's Chicken and Waffles before either of them.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/08 08:32:01 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    I learned that "trick" by enjoying many times the BroastedTM Chicken at the late, lamented Whitey's Restaurant in Arlington, VA.  That chicken with beer-batter onion rings on the side, washied down with a few cold Coors Lights was a classic "Roadfood" meal!

Yeah, I miss Whitey's.   Used to go there all the time when my brother lived by Courthouse Metro.  That was some seriously good chicken.

I've actually had some great food at Eat, the place that replaced it, but it's not the same.  I always find myself craving broasted chicken.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/08 18:06:35 (permalink)
    I think any 'Top 10' Fried Chicken list should be limited to an individual State, or maybe a Region. Trying to do one for the whole USA would have to be 'colored' (no pun) by other contributing factors...like the example quoted above about the narrow scope or sample of the judges demographics in this poll.
       If I were judging, I would probably be more biased towards the Mid-Western or Southern selections. When I visit the NorthEastern area of the USA Fried Chicken is not high on my list of entree selections. Same goes for my West Coast foodie desires !
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/08 18:26:32 (permalink)
    kaszeta

MetroplexJim

Yeah, I miss Whitey's.   Used to go there all the time when my brother lived by Courthouse Metro.  That was some seriously good chicken.

I've actually had some great food at Eat, the place that replaced it, but it's not the same.  I always find myself craving broasted chicken.

The immediate successor to Whitey's was "Tallula's", an estanlishment that catered to sandal-wearing gentlemen.  Eat Bar's menu looks interesting and includes fried chicken.

And they have restored Whitey's iconic signage:  http://eat-bar.com/ 

Since you are familiar with the Metro Corridor of North Arlington I know that you will find this to be very amusing:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo  Enjoy!
    DougS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 476
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/08 19:37:37 (permalink)
    Thousands of people vote for Kentucky fried every day. Must be good to be that popular. Although, I do believe they have messed with the recipe just doesn't taste the same as when the Colonel set out with his pots and a dream.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/09 19:07:17 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

No representatives from southern Indiana's "chicken belt", either.  I suspect Cajunking might be a little miffed!

There's a Harold's in Madison WI but I've never been there.

Brad

I don't mind if the rest of the world doesnt know about the fried chicken trail here in SE Indiana, just means more chicken for me and my friends.

I have eaten at: (on the list)
    Roscoe's
    Two Sister's
    Harold's
    Prince's

They are good and I would eat them again and again

There are quite a few that could make that list, and many world famous places didn't make the list.

I think they need a new list maker!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? 2011/11/10 09:42:50 (permalink)
    DougS

Thousands of people vote for Kentucky fried every day. Must be good to be that popular. Although, I do believe they have messed with the recipe just doesn't taste the same as when the Colonel set out with his pots and a dream.

Actually ... back in the day it was spectacular. 

I recall a road trip with my grandparents that took us through pre-interstate Kentucy in 1959.  We stopped at a full-service restaurant that featured "Col. Sanders' Famous Recipe Frid Chicken"; I had a 1/2 chicken dinner that was 10X wonderful.  Even the mashed potatos and gravy were fantastic; I ordered seconds.  Aside from the food I remember that we Pittsburghers had trouble understanding the Southern drawl of the waitress. 

A decade later I encountered Col. Sanders at the University Cafeteria in Charlottesville.  As he was dressed in his trademark "ice cream" suit and string tie (on which was affixed a pin identifying him as a Freemason), there was no mistaking him.  I told him about that dinner I had so enjoyed as a child.    He laughed and said "Those days are gone.  The only thing I recognize these days is the cole slaw. I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy my cookin'

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1