Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Best Pizza You Ever Ate!

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 137
Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 11/12/06 3:32 PM (permalink)
I can't say I am an expert on Indiana pizza. I haven't lived there for 38 years. When I visit I concentrate on the breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.

tater dickens

• Total Posts: 14
    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 11/29/06 11:30 PM (permalink)
    Lombardi's, Johns, Totonos and Patsy's in New York Haven't made the trip to New Haven yet since I'm from California but hopefully next year. Also, never understood the attraction to "Chicago Style" thick crust pizza. My daughter lives in Chicago and I've tried the pizza several times but it apperas to me that this is more like a casserole than a pizza. But then again I also don't get the attraction to the Chicago dog. Keep the dog simple-brown mustard, chili sauce and topped with raw onions.

Nightengale212

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 11/30/06 3:37 PM (permalink)
      I have three favorite pizza places. Caserta Pizza in Providence, R.I. which hands down is the best pizza I have ever eater. Then comes Sam's Pizza in Bristol, R.I. which has very classic Naples region pizza, and Craigeville Pizza in Hyannisport,MA which has the freshest toppings as well as great sauce. All worth a stop by if in the area.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 11/30/06 4:39 PM (permalink)
        Family Pizza in Triangle , VA, many years ago when they had one store. Last time I was there, they were a small chain, and the pizza was good, but nothing out of this world. The Wishing Well bar/restaurant/dive/college hangout in Springfield , MA was special. I once worked there. I did a lot of jobs but never got to make the pizza. The pizza was very variable, and made from memory. It was flat and of various shapes, depending on the mood of the maker (one of 2 brothers, or special friends, who as far as I know worked for free). It was hearth baked (not in a pan) and usually had some slightly burned spots on the edge. I never saw a woman in the kitchen. If a woman had worked there, the kitchen would have been cleaner. The area around the 'Well has gone way down hill, and I don't know if they are still open.

pineyhill

• Total Posts: 87
          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 11/30/06 4:49 PM (permalink)
          I've always been fond of Ted's Pizza in Menomonie, WI. Steve's Pizza in River Falls, WI also darn good. Come to think of it the owners of each place are related.

WarrenJersey

• Total Posts: 6
            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 12/1/06 4:39 PM (permalink)
            The best I've ever had is still 3 Brothers on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, New Jersey. I couldn't even find their equal in Italy, with a place on Capri coming the closest. I've found in my travels all over the United States and Europe that the closer you get to New Jersey, the more the pizza is like the pizza in Naples. And, in Europe, the closer you get to Naples, the more the pizza is like the pizza in New Jersey. Another very good pizza is Pizzeria Regina in Boston and in several towns surrounding Boston. There is also a very good place in Destin, Florida called Ciao Bella. In the Dallas area, a chain called Joe's Pizza and Pasta makes very good New York-style pizza.

OilCan

• Total Posts: 19
              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 12/21/06 6:51 PM (permalink)
              I've been hearing about Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, for a long time and never got a chance to visit until this year.

I looked for when I was in the area a few times but being unprepared and with no address, no luck.

Then I bought a GPS and on my way to NY a few months ago we decided to try to find Pepe's. As luck would have it they were out of clams that night and the line was long so we went to Sally's.

Very good pizza....one of the best I've ever had, and I've had quite a few.

About a month ago I got the chance to stop by Pepe's again but because of the long ride I had left I grabbed a tomato and cheese pizza to go. 2 hrs later when I got the chance to eat it, well...it was still one of the best I've ever eaten.

This week I finally got the time and chance to have one of their "White Clam" pizzas. (Excuse me as I genuflect). I have now found the place I want to be buried.

To say that it was good..or even great is an understatement. This was the best thing I've eaten in a long long time.

I can't say enough about it. A little too salty for my wife but for me it had the taste and texture of something that is clearly superiour to any other pizza you'll ever eat.

Thanks everyone for recommending Pepe's. Sally is a close second so you can't go wrong at either.

Enjoy!!

bigcookies

• Total Posts: 20
                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 12/27/06 6:44 PM (permalink)
                I would have to say the best pizza I've ate is from Mario's Pizza in Winston Salem, NC. They are from NY and you can tell!!

kidtcha

• Total Posts: 25
                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 12/28/06 5:24 PM (permalink)
                  Patsy's in NYC across the street from Serendipity II.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 01/8/07 1:37 AM (permalink)
                    Little Luigis( A local pizzaria) right here in town. The people that run it are from Italy and know pizza better than anybody else. Papa Murphys is also very good. I have never been dissapointed by a pizza from there. The local Piggly Wiggly also makes a pretty good take-n-bake pizza. The only frozen one I will touch is the one the local meat market makes. I dont bother buying frozen pizza from the store because every time it sucks.

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 01/8/07 2:17 AM (permalink)
                      would have to be maruca's (mentioned in roadfood alot) on the seaside nj boardwalk...perfect thin crust , just the right amount of cheese..so so good!

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 01/8/07 2:53 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by tater dickens

Lombardi's, Johns, Totonos and Patsy's in New York Haven't made the trip to New Haven yet since I'm from California but hopefully next year. Also, never understood the attraction to "Chicago Style" thick crust pizza. My daughter lives in Chicago and I've tried the pizza several times but it apperas to me that this is more like a casserole than a pizza. But then again I also don't get the attraction to the Chicago dog. Keep the dog simple-brown mustard, chili sauce and topped with raw onions.

No, it's not a casserole. Same ingredients as other pizzas, just thicker crust and more cheese. Not too hard to figure out. Either you like it or you don't. But it certainly beats what passes for pizza in CA.

As far as Chicago dogs, it depends on where you get the dog. I'm sorry that Chicago has such little to offer in regards to food. I'm sure that Sacramento has a much better offering than our little city.

Your probably best to sticking to what you know. Sounds like you don't have a tolerance for different foods. Chains would probably work quite well for you. Most of them stay pretty consistent from coast-to-coast.

sftreat

• Total Posts: 50
                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 01/8/07 7:20 AM (permalink)
                          Back in the 70's there used to be an pizza parlour called "The Citadel". Their specialty pizza that was to die for was a meduim crust pastrami and fresh sliced tomato. Best Pizza i ever put in my pie hole. The pizza parlour was located in St. Helena CA in the middle of the napa wine country.

MarbleIndex

• Total Posts: 2
                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 01/10/07 10:56 PM (permalink)
                            Flying Tomato in Muncie, Indiana, had good stuffed double-crust pizza in the 1980s. It was near the Ball State campus.
                            Greek's Pizza, just down the street, is good too and is still going.

RandellButts

• Total Posts: 16
                              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 01/22/07 12:38 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Polish guy

Most of you may be to young to remember real Pizza. Back in the later part of the 1940, Gary, Indiana, the first place to make Pizza in the United States, per Collier's Mag. was FLAMINGO'S, on West 5th. Ave. near Adams St. This was PIZZA, none like it since.

Do you, anyone, remember this?

HEY POLISH GUY, I HATE TO BUST YOUR BUBBLE. PIZZA WAS FIRST MADE IN NEW YORK IN 1905. CHECK OUT THIS SITE.

http://www.pizzacorner.com/history.asp

K00ky

• Total Posts: 24
                                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 01/31/07 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                Margherita pizza on jamaica avenue in queens new york, AMAZING

thefoodguy

• Total Posts: 44
                                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 02/1/07 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by OilCan

I've been hearing about Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, for a long time and never got a chance to visit until this year.

I looked for when I was in the area a few times but being unprepared and with no address, no luck.

Then I bought a GPS and on my way to NY a few months ago we decided to try to find Pepe's. As luck would have it they were out of clams that night and the line was long so we went to Sally's.

Very good pizza....one of the best I've ever had, and I've had quite a few.

About a month ago I got the chance to stop by Pepe's again but because of the long ride I had left I grabbed a tomato and cheese pizza to go. 2 hrs later when I got the chance to eat it, well...it was still one of the best I've ever eaten.

This week I finally got the time and chance to have one of their "White Clam" pizzas. (Excuse me as I genuflect). I have now found the place I want to be buried.

To say that it was good..or even great is an understatement. This was the best thing I've eaten in a long long time.

I can't say enough about it. A little too salty for my wife but for me it had the taste and texture of something that is clearly superiour to any other pizza you'll ever eat.

Thanks everyone for recommending Pepe's. Sally is a close second so you can't go wrong at either.

Enjoy!!

So its worth the drive from northeastern CT.?...?

Andoo

• Total Posts: 85
                                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 02/1/07 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                    I like Ann's in Hales Corners just outside of Milwaukee, and when I lived in Brookfield Wis. ages ago I always thought Marty's was the best. I really can't say we have even one that rates better than O.K. here in Monterey Cal. Just too thick and bready of a crust for me.

Guy Boccabella

• Total Posts: 5
                                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 02/4/07 7:30 AM (permalink)
                                      This changes on a daily basis for me, but for now, I'd have to go with Spruce Pond Creamery, in Franklin, Mass., for its organic flat bread pizza. Usually organic versions of pizza taste about as good as cardboard, but Spruce Pond bucks that trend by turning out some really delicious thin crust pizzas with ripe organic Roma tomatoes and organic cheeses and flour brought to life in a wood oven. It's incredibly flavorful pizza and with some fresh organic or "natural" toppings including Bell and Evans chicken, organic portabello mushrooms, sweet red peppers, eggplant, spinach and even a non-nitrate pepperoni! The service can be a bit lethargic, at times, but for the most part can be forgiven because of the great tasting, fresh pizza. As an added bonus, Spruce Pond Creamery makes some wonderful homemade ice cream. We've had phenomenal flavors like raspberry, chocolate truffle and apple cream pie. Pizza and ice cream -- what a great combination, especially when its a tad more healthy version!

Spruce Pond Creamery, 370 King Street, Franklin , MA (508) 520-7900

Eric

bxfinest

• Total Posts: 79
                                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                        Nicks Pizza on E. Gun Hill rd.(off the 5 train) Bronx USA.
                                        Good pizza and the best tasting sicilians you'll find anywhere.

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                          John's of Bleeker Street in NYC. For a local (Washington, DC) pizza, Pizzeria Paradiso.

sudie

• Total Posts: 228
                                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                            Glad to see Fricano's in Grand Haven MI mentioned. I've been eating there on and off since I was little, and whenever I get back there, it's always as good as I remembered it.

dholk

• Total Posts: 107
                                              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                              The best pizza I ever ate was at Adrienne's Pizza Bar in the financial district of Manhattan. Their regular round pizzas are great, but their sheet (grandma-style) pizzas are amazing. I've eaten there several times and have yet to be disappointed.

Here's some info about the place from sliceny.com:

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2005/06/adriennes_pizza.php

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                                                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                There was a time, back in the 1970s and 1980s, when the pizza at Pizzeria Due in Chicago was as close to perfection as you could wish for in a food. I had several experiences with pizzas there that were heavenly. Unfortunatley, the place has gone really downhill the last 10 years. It's not even my favorite pizza in Chicago anymore. That honor might well go to the stuffed spinach at Piero's in Highland Park.

I've also had great pizza eating experiences at (where else?) Pepe's in New Haven.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                                  John's, Bleeker Street, NYC

katandmoon

• Total Posts: 4
                                                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 2:55 PM (permalink)
                                                    The best pizza I've ever eaten is at Zio's Italian Restaurant in Gaithersburg, MD. The crust is just right and the tomato sauce is outstanding.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                                      • Location: Long Island, NY
                                                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                                      Pepe's & Roseland, haven't tried Sally's or Modern yet...

llg

• Total Posts: 6
                                                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 02/9/07 6:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        New Haven CT and surrounding area is the pizza capitol of the world as far as my husband and I are concerned. Since moving south to NC, the one thing we miss is great pizza. It's very sad.

These are our favorites in the New Haven CT area

Zuppardi's West Haven
                                                        Bacco's Waterbury
                                                        Rossini's Cheshire
                                                        Bimonte's Hamden
                                                        Roseland Derby
                                                        Modern Apizza New Haven
                                                        Tolli's East Haven
                                                        Frank Pepe's New Haven
                                                        Sally's New Haven
                                                        The Spot New Haven

carolg

• Total Posts: 1
                                                          • Location: Winston-Salem, NC
                                                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 02/17/07 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          WOW! Memories.....first it'd have to be my grandmother's
                                                          Sicilian. Out and about in Pittsburgh it was Beto's for me.
                                                          Now in Winston-Salem, hands down it is Mario's!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                                            • Location: Trevor, WI
                                                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 02/17/07 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                                            Pizzeria Uno's on Michigan and Wabash in Chicago. Of course it was Chicago Style (1/4' crust if that thick, but more than 1' pie. Major yum). I've been to other Pizzeria Uno's since, but they all, while pretty good, pale in comparison, as does Edwardo's.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 137

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com