Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Best Pizza You Ever Ate!

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 137
jwagnerdsm

• Total Posts: 89
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 02/17/07 7:44 PM (permalink)
In rural Iowa, at different parts of my life, I loved:

1.) In grade school: Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Sioux Falls (Ad Jingle: "We Serve Fun at Shakeys, also Pizza." Probably more truth in that than I knew).

2.) In high school, with my friends: Godfather's at the then new mall in Worthington, Minnesota, a 16-mile drive to the only multi-plex in the area, the only McDonald's, and the only pizza.

3.) Babe's, in downtown Des Moines, when I was a sophomore and high school and took my first real trip to Des Moines with members of the high school speech and drama club.

4.) Pizza Ranch in downtown Sheldon, Iowa, a place I dined every day during lunch while working my first full-time newspaper job.

5.) Big Tomato Pizza, Des Moines, today (open til 4 a.m. on weekends with a variety of interesting slices for $2.)I like the potato and onion ring pizza.

6.) La Pizza House, S.E. 14th, in Des Moines, as much for their onion rings as their pizza.

couple_seeking_food

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 02/17/07 8:45 PM (permalink)
    I spent 12 years in New Haven from 1977 to 1989 and found what others have said, there are many terrific pizzas there. My all time favorites are #1 Sally's White Clam and #2 Pepe's White Clam. Moderna Appiza is much quicker to get into and the pies are excellent, but if you have to choose one, crank up your patience, wait the line, and eat at Sally's.

LaPoint

• Total Posts: 5
      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 02/18/07 11:22 PM (permalink)
      The Best in Platsburgh N.Y area in my humble opinion were and hopefully still are. Zachery's #1, Arnie's#2 and the Monople #3. Three very different styles but all were great. There was also a Dominos on U.S. Ave in the late seventies through early 80's that was not part of the chain. They used to deliever the Pizza in little red, white, and Blue toyota pick up trucks that had gas ovens in the back that keep the pizza warm. They made a great pie also.

Randy1887

• Total Posts: 22
        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 02/19/07 2:47 PM (permalink)
        All different, all great:
        Thin Crust
        1. Louie's, Waukegan, IL
        2. Pagliai's, Grinnell, IA
        3. Quonset Hut, Waukegan, IL
        4. Little Villa, DeKalb, IL
        5. Zeno's, Marshalltown, IA
        6. Mama Del Grado's, Marshalltown, IA
        7. Pizzaria Uno, Chicago

RiteTouchPOS

• Total Posts: 1
          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 02/27/07 12:15 PM (permalink)
          maybe 1 am just biased but del vecchios in Weston fl has one of the best Sicilian pizza i have ever eaten, if you guys would like to prove me wrong feel free to send me a box.

Jason

Milkman

• Total Posts: 1
            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 03/12/07 8:52 AM (permalink)
            Like mentioned earlier in this post, it depends where you live. I grew up in NJ and moved to Iowa 18 years ago. In NJ there was a little hole in wall of a place called Kate & Al's. They were open only 4 days a week and sold more pies than most places would sell in 7 days. They would press the dough out, place it in pans (rectangular) and top it with cheese. The dough would proof like that until ready for the oven. They would top it with sauce right before going into the oven. When ever I would go home for a visit I would pick up a pie before seeing my parents, my sister does the same. Now for Iowa, in my opinion there is no good pizza in Iowa. A place mentioned two replies back was Zeno,s in M'town. I hated it, but the locals rave about it. It just depends on what you were raised on.

booboobirdie

• Total Posts: 143
              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 03/12/07 9:33 AM (permalink)
              "but if you have to choose one, crank up your patience, wait the line, and eat at Sally's."

For me, it wouldn't just be patience. I think I'd need an anger management session (or 2) to ever deal with THAT again. Last time will be my LAST TIME....seated and order taken and sodas delvered immediately, pizza (with no possibility of ordering more sodas) approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes later, and then a check thrown at us slightly over an hour after we were done eating. On the bright side, I no longer feel like I'm missing out by not going there, as I can honestly say that, IMHO, Modern is much better, and not just because of the service (which is GREAT). They really do have a great pie.

The Bru Room at BAR on Crown ST. is also pretty incredible. The service stinks, but the pizza, hand crafted beers, and salad are to die for.

roadfooder

• Total Posts: 5
                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 03/12/07 11:17 PM (permalink)
                Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in Fort Lauderdale. The heat from the coal oven gives the crust a great charred flavor.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 03/13/07 12:28 PM (permalink)
                  My wife and in-laws preferred Alex & Aldo's pizza (31st St., LaGrange Park, IL). They make a nice thin crust pizza but we haven't eaten there for years; hopefully it hasn't changed.
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Milkman
                  Now for Iowa, in my opinion there is no good pizza in Iowa.
                  You don't mention your specific Iowa location, but if you haven't tried the Alfredo pizza at Felix & Oscar's in Des Moines (Merle Hay Mall) give it a shot. Very different (Alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce) but I find it good and quite filling.

Brad

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 03/13/07 1:28 PM (permalink)
                    I agree the best pizza (apizza) is probably your A. 1st one and B. where you were raised. In Southern CT it's all about the NH style, years ago there was a place called Bachamiello's (not sure on spelling) he was from Wooster street and used be called the "Clam Man of Wooster street" he had a little place in my town of East Haven that to me at the time was the best pizza (Apizza)around now he's long gone but alot of the places in the area are good. For you folks that travel far and wide for Pepe's, Sally's, Modern you must have a Foxon Park White Birch soda with your pie.

llg

• Total Posts: 6
                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 03/13/07 3:49 PM (permalink)
                      Definitely Foxen park white Birch is essential......w/ "abeetz!!

SgtHulka

• Total Posts: 30
                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 03/13/07 4:50 PM (permalink)
                        Rendinos in Akron \ Portage Lakes, OH. Bam. The owner has been in business for 20 or 25 years, same location. She's in this little plaza. All to go pizza and on the weekend people are in line out the door. Pizza takes a little time 30 - 40 minutes but well worth the wait.

The pepperoni is cut thick and gets crunchy on the edges and real crumbled italian sausage. The best.

SuperDave70

• Total Posts: 31
                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 03/29/07 4:31 AM (permalink)
                          Pizzaria Bianco, Phx AZ
                          Grimaldi's, NY

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 03/30/07 10:11 PM (permalink)
                            Grottos pizza on the boardwalk in Rehobeth Beach Delaware. For some reason it's not as good in the inland locations.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 04/3/07 12:56 PM (permalink)
                              West Coast: Sonny's, San Clemente, CA. Owned by Sonny Genovese, so you better like it.
                              East Coast: Totonno's, the one at Coney Island on Neptune

lunasatic

• Total Posts: 283
                                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 04/4/07 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                Vito's in Levvittown, PA (also had the best Philly Cheesesteaks & homemade cheesecake).

llg

• Total Posts: 6
                                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 04/4/07 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                  so the question still remains, is there any good Pizza to be eaten in the Piedmont Triad of NC??? Have not found it yet, but still looking. Any thoughts

stridge

• Total Posts: 63
                                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 04/11/07 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                    I have to say out here in Danville IL my favorite is the "gormet" Itialian Pizza at a rustic shack named " Mr Mustard's" out west on US 150 . The crust is hand tossed (not always round) garlic sauce, fresh toppings. and if Mr Mustard is in you can request this Chicago Irish tennor for a song . It doesn't take much to get him going. They also serve real Chicago dogs, pasta pie pluse a lot of mouth watering treats. They also serve the best local ice cream,Wright's from Cayuga Indiana.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 04/11/07 1:38 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by exsquidao

I agree the best pizza (apizza) is probably your A. 1st one and B. where you were raised.
                                      Bearing in mind that I'm feeling deprived, never having had a shot at the great ones I read about on RF:

I remember at least the first pizza place where I ate, though only the city and era (Albuquerque, early fifties). My parents always got a large hand-tossed with everything, and I loved it: would have left-overs the next day for breakfast, which drove the food police at my elementary school nuts!

My favorite, I think, was the kind I made at a chain where I was employed, and could make it exactly the way I wanted. House-made Italian sausage, fresh onions, and mozzarella, easy on the (house-made) sauce, and cooked really crispy. Not sophisticated, and the crust (from the home office) was nothing to write home about, but I loved it and can't find anybody to make one the same way for me.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
                                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 04/11/07 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                        The two best round pies I've eaten were both at Pepe's in New Haven. (A sausage and then years later a clam pie).

The best square pizzas have all come from my hometown area. Ghigiarelli's in Old Forge, PA (crispy crust with perfect blend of tomato and onion), the now defunct Gabello's in Duryea (similar but with a seasoned kick) and the aforementioned Pizza Perfect (oily with cheese and onion) in Trucksville.

While I'm on subject here, let me state that a friend and I visited New Haven about a month ago and were both thoroughly disappointed with the Clam Pie at Pepe's. The pie was overcooked and the clams were dry. I know they say they only use fresh clams, but I'm thinking these could've been canned. Maybe since they are NOW open all day, they are cutting corners? Sure hope not.

duck1

• Total Posts: 2
                                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 04/16/07 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                          Bobes Pizza in Vincennes Indiana

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 07/5/07 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by db1105

Grottos pizza on the boardwalk in Rehobeth Beach Delaware. For some reason it's not as good in the inland locations.

I always looked forward to Grotto's on our many trips to Rehoboth/Dewey. It's like what one can get in Manhattan and that's a compliment!

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                                              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 07/5/07 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                              I don't know what the absolute best is, but definitely at the top of the list:

Colony Grill in CT;
                                              Modern Apizza in New Haven

Mike's "Special" - Mike's Restaurant, Fairhaven, MA

The one we ordered our first night in San Francisco in July of 1991 - no idea of the name of the restaurant - we found it in the yellow pages and they delivered to our hotel - but boy, it was good.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 07/5/07 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                                Best pizza I ever had was Art's Pizza in Beaver Falls, PA.

As I enjoyed this treat in the Winter of 1968, I checked Google before writing this and, yes, they are still in business; for a "Mom & Pop" (especially one in a "depressed area") that fact lends credence to my fond food memory.

I've travelled the world since, yet Art's is still a vivid memory.

jerzeydawg

• Total Posts: 167
                                                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 07/9/07 7:30 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Joisey

Jules--Jersey city NJ. Not thick, not thin. Crispy & sauce to die for!

I remember Jules! It was on West Side Ave.
                                                  I havent eaten there in about 25 years!!

Going down the other end of West side was another Italian place at the bottom of Woodlawn Ave, called Frango's which was later changed to the Family Tree Restaurant.

jerzeydawg

• Total Posts: 167
                                                    • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 07/9/07 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Polish guy

Most of you may be to young to remember real Pizza. Back in the later part of the 1940, Gary, Indiana, the first place to make Pizza in the United States, per Collier's Mag. was FLAMINGO'S, on West 5th. Ave. near Adams St. This was PIZZA, none like it since.

Do you, anyone, remember this?

You're joking, right? Lombardi's opened the first pizzeria the United States in 1905 in New York. Frank Pepe opened his pizzeria in New Haven in 1925.

I'm a Lombardi and proud to say that Genarro Lombardi brought Naples Style pizza to America in 1904.

phillytim

• Total Posts: 9
                                                      • Location: Philadelphia, PA
                                                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 07/13/07 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                                      The ORIGINAL ITALIAN PIZZA, there in Avis, Pennsylvania, really makes the best pizza I've had...and I've had a LOT of pizza in my life!

They're a cute little shop that's been there since the 60s or 70s. They do pizza right!

Great, deep sauce; loads of cheese; spicy pepperoni; fresh, daily home made dough. Baked to perfection in a flavorful oven.

The guy is totally italian, a rarity for my neck of the woods there in northeaster PA!

eatingteam

• Total Posts: 186
                                                        • Location: Warminster, PA
                                                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Fri, 07/13/07 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        These are what I came up

Rank
                                                        NAME LOCATION RECOMMENDATION
                                                        1 *Lombardi's NY Any
                                                        2 *John’s NY Any
                                                        3 Penndel Pizza Penndel, PA Any
                                                        4 Rustic Pizza Northern Liberties, PA Specialty
                                                        5 Ray Famous Manhattan, NY Loaded Meat
                                                        6 Papas Chambersburg, NJ Any
                                                        7 Marras South Philadelphia, PA Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
                                                        8 Nina's II Trevose, PA Any
                                                        9 Nicolosi’s Phillipsburg, NJ Double Cheese Pepperoni
                                                        10 Schiano’s Warminster, PA Any
                                                        11 Celebres South Philadelphia, PA Old Style Pizza
                                                        12 Soho Old City, PA Any
                                                        13 *Taconelli’s Philadelphia, PA White
                                                        14 Yalda Grill Kabob Horsham, PA Buffalo Wing, Sloppy Joe
                                                        15 Grand Stand Pizza Franklin Park, IL XL Pan Pizza DBl chse /
                                                        Buffalo Pie
                                                        16 Macks Wildwood, NJ Any
                                                        17 Grimaldi's Brooklyn, NY Plain
                                                        18 Mr. D's Wildwood, NJ Plain
                                                        19 DeLorenzo’s Chambersburg, NJ Tomato Pie
                                                        20 *Di Fara’s Brooklyn, NY Double Cheese

These would be my top 20. I have plenty more but these are the best ones I have eaten.

Tony

PamF

• Total Posts: 23
                                                          • Location: forest park, IL
                                                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 07/14/07 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Brad_Olson

My wife and in-laws preferred Alex & Aldo's pizza (31st St., LaGrange Park, IL). They make a nice thin crust pizza but we haven't eaten there for years; hopefully it hasn't changed.

Alex & Aldo's still there and still serving wonderful thin crust pizzas. Restaurant changed owners about 5 or 6 years ago but kept original pizza recipe.

wickedgoodhotdogs

• Total Posts: 27
                                                            • Location: Sunapee, NH
                                                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 07/15/07 4:51 PM (permalink)
                                                            SAL'S JUST PIZZA

WICKED GOOD!!!!!!
                                                            SUNAPEE, NH

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 137

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com