Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Best Pizza You Ever Ate!

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 137
Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 09/16/06 10:27 PM (permalink)
Let's be positive. My pizza experience goes back 45 years when I worked for Chuck Martin's Pizza in Speedway, IN. I learned from a man devoted to making the best pizza possible. He spent all day preparing his sausage and crust. I know he used the best ingredients available. I learned to appreciate good pizza. He opened for takeout at 5:00 PM every day.

Fast forward to now. I was asked to check out a pizza in Minneapolis. The place was Cafe Bicko. We tried their combination special and I can say it was one of the best pizzas I have had in years. A little gem of a place, does no advertising, and if you drove by you would not know it was only a pizza place. Was it the best? Well it was the best in recent memory. So what is the best pizza you ever ate?

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 09/16/06 10:40 PM (permalink)
    There used to be a great place in St. Paul about 20 years ago called Grandpa Tony's. Do you know if that's still around. They made an excellent pizza.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 09/16/06 10:44 PM (permalink)
      Best thin crust pizza-Zaffiros on the east side of Milwaukee.Best thicker crust-Pietros on the southeast side of Milwaukee....

Starlord

• Total Posts: 27
        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 09/18/06 11:46 PM (permalink)
        The best pizza I have ever had was a bit off-putting to me at first. We were visiting our son and his wife in Olympia, WA, and we decided to have pizza. When it was brought home, I looked at it and said, "They can't sell pizza like that!" Turns out it was a Papa Murphy's pizza, and they build the pizza for you, but you take it home and bake it there. That was the best pizza I have ever eaten, and I would love to see a Papa Murphy's open down here in Arizona.

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 8:15 AM (permalink)
          Jules--Jersey city NJ. Not thick, not thin. Crispy & sauce to die for!

wheregreggeats.com

RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 8:26 AM (permalink)
            Pepe's.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 8:48 AM (permalink)
              Lombardi's.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 10:50 AM (permalink)

I have hit the trifecta here in this state. Pepe's (Both places), Sally's and Modern. I have yet to try Bar, on Crown St. which has received high marks. Another place that has been reviewed here was last nights destination, Roseland Apizza in Derby, CT. As I approached the driveway, my heart sank as I could see that it was closed.

====....."They can't sell pizza like that!" Turns out it was a Papa Murphy's pizza, and they build the pizza for you, but you take it home and bake it there. That was the best pizza I have ever eaten, and I would love to see a Papa Murphy's open down here in Arizona.====

I would get Papa Murphy's where I used to live out west. They were good in a way that was typical of pies west of the Mississippi, a bit thicker and more bread-like. My trick was to order a medium pizza but have it placed on a large baking circle. I would then stretch it out and create a thin crust pie. After it has cooked a while, I would transfer it from the cardboard circle and onto oven rack. This way, I have created a thin, crisp crust much like what is found out here in the east coast.

I have heard that the best pizza ever is usually the first one you ate...

mark

Acme

• Total Posts: 12
                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 11:05 AM (permalink)
                  Charlie's Red Top in Norristown PA a local favorite since 1959

dgeorge

• Total Posts: 20
                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 12:31 PM (permalink)
                    grimaldis , patsy"s or roseland

catosaurus

RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 2:29 PM (permalink)
                      Oh, but I miss La Barbera's! It was located in West Los Angeles on Santa Monica Blvd. and made the best pizza ever! We'd order the pepperoni (more like salami, really ... moist) and garlic, and the heads would turn as it passed by other diners coming to us. I know people who'd order one to-go, pick it up, and eat it all in the car driving home.

The family lost their lease back in the 1980s, and decided to retire, rather than reopening elsewhere. The spot is now a mini-mall (what else?).

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 5:26 PM (permalink)
                        Any of the Italian restaurants on Fordham Road in the Bronx in the late 40's, early 50's.

John

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/19/06 9:45 PM (permalink)
                          Amato's Pizzeria, Lyons Avenue, Newark, New Jersey, 1964.
                          The Bear

Fred Ferris

• Total Posts: 153
                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 09/21/06 9:49 AM (permalink)
                            Resevoir Tavern...Parsippany, NJ

johns72604

• Total Posts: 74
                              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 09/21/06 10:38 AM (permalink)
                              De Fara's, Brooklyn NY
                              Totonno's, Brooklyn NY

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 09/21/06 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                Frank and Pat's in Green Bay

Wander

• Total Posts: 38
                                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 09/21/06 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                  Aniello's Pizzeria in Corning, NY. Thin, crackling crust hot out of the oven, just enough sauce and cheese. I've never ordered toppings on this pizza joint's pie because the plain cheese is just that damn good. Well worth the hour drive from home.

Jaybomb

• Total Posts: 29
                                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Thu, 09/21/06 9:53 PM (permalink)
                                    Pizza Perfect, or Victory Pig in Wilkkes-Barre PA will both give you their best, by the cut, real sicilian pizza. De-frickin-licious.

Otherwise I suggest a pizza from Il Forno in Frederick MD.

Polish guy

• Total Posts: 333
                                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 09/24/06 3:21 PM (permalink)
                                      Most of you may be to young to remember real Pizza. Back in the later part of the 1940, Gary, Indiana, the first place to make Pizza in the United States, per Collier's Mag. was FLAMINGO'S, on West 5th. Ave. near Adams St. This was PIZZA, none like it since.

Do you, anyone, remember this?

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 09/24/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                        the orig lou malnatis in lincolnwood illinois

Mark in VT

• Total Posts: 153
                                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 09/24/06 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                          That's easy...........American Flatbread, Burlington, VT

ChiTownDiner

RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sun, 09/24/06 4:51 PM (permalink)
                                            Satellite Pizza, Bayport, Long Island.

sigmagrrl

• Total Posts: 15
                                              RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Mon, 09/25/06 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                              The best place is J&S Pizza in Rosedale, Queens! It's sicilian: thick, hot, cheesy, and sliced suasage, not the kibbles and bits kind!

Doatsie82

• Total Posts: 205
                                                RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/26/06 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                                Jo-Jo's in Lyndhurst, NJ

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
                                                  • Location: San Diego area, CA
                                                  RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Tue, 09/26/06 8:27 PM (permalink)
                                                  Lido's Italian Food (open 50 years) in Lemon Grove, California and The Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest, San Diego. Obviously, I from San Diego!

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
                                                    RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 09/27/06 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    Cafe Italiano's pizza in Birmingham, AL, mid '60s.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                      • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                      RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Wed, 09/27/06 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                                      The first pizza I ever had... and the last one.

I even remember eating a great pizza at Pizza Inn back in the mid 60s, I swear!
                                                      Joe

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                                        • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
                                                        RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 09/30/06 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                                        Wow, is Pizza Inn still around? I remember Shakey's was my favorite growing up in Iowa. I still see them occasionaly in California.

Does anyone remember Happy Joe's ? There was one in Spencer, Iowa in the 70's, don't know if they were a big chain or just something in the Mid-West. Wonder if they still exist somewhere?

Oregano's here in Phoenix does an excellent deep dish Chicago Style pizza. Place is always on a wait.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                          • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                          RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 09/30/06 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by sigmagrrl

The best place is J&S Pizza in Rosedale, Queens! It's sicilian: thick, hot, cheesy, and sliced suasage, not the kibbles and bits kind!

The kibble & bits thingie really rings true to my ears. Now I know how to describe how I DO NOT want my pizza topped. Thanks, sigmagrrl!

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                            • Location: Versailles, KY
                                                            RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! Sat, 09/30/06 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                                            There used to be a place in Lexington, KY, called Lexitalia and they had excellent pizza, as well as other Italian dishes. The crust was chewy and just right and the sauce not too sweet nor too salty. The same with their spaghetti, which was to die for.
                                                            Other than that (and don't laugh) I have to say Mr. Gatti's because of fond childhood memories of going there with my friends.

Andrea

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 137

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com