Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3008
2008/06/18 15:46:09 (permalink)

The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo

This just posted on Yahoo -

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/sliceamerica/8380/the-best-pizza-in-the-u-s

Pizzeria Bianco in Pheonix! And a James Beard Award to boot!

33 Replies Related Threads

desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/18 18:59:32 (permalink)

If only it were true. Not knocking Bianco's pizza, it is very good, but I have to say that I am a huge fan of Patsi Grimaldi's in Scottsdale.

I have said it before, I think the reason Bianco's tastes so good to so many people is because by the time you wait 3 hours to get a table you're starving, which makes it all the more tasty!

That and it has become very fashionable to eat there. Chris seems like a genuinely good guy, but the wait combined with the posers I have seen at the place have kinda turned me off of the joint.

DD

Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/18 19:34:37 (permalink)

Yahoo must be wrong. I have it on good authority that the best pizza in the US comes from Gary, Indiana.

jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/18 20:48:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

Yahoo must be wrong. I have it on good authority that the best pizza in the US comes from Gary, Indiana.

I think i'm having another acid flashback...
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/19 20:16:23 (permalink)
    Time to test the person at Yahoo who wrote that headline for smokin' da dope. The author of the article didn't even say this was the best pizza in the USA. In his last paragraph, Adam Kuban wrote:

"Have I had moments like this in New York and in Naples? Of course I have. Does Bianco make the best pizza in the U.S.? In the world? I don't know. I've had a lot of great pizzas in a lot of great restaurants, and I'm not sure if I am in any position to put one up against another anymore—these meals were merely slices in time; unique experiences that will remain with me forever, none better than the other. And with all that said, I had one of those experiences last Saturday. I am happy to report that the force is strong in Phoenix, and we have Chris Bianco to thank for that."

Motto of story: Don't believe everything you see on the Internet.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/19 20:50:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

If only it were true. Not knocking Bianco's pizza, it is very good, but I have to say that I am a huge fan of Patsi Grimaldi's in Scottsdale.

I have said it before, I think the reason Bianco's tastes so good to so many people is because by the time you wait 3 hours to get a table you're starving, which makes it all the more tasty!

That and it has become very fashionable to eat there. Chris seems like a genuinely good guy, but the wait combined with the posers I have seen at the place have kinda turned me off of the joint.

DD

As a "Basinonian" I agree wholeheartly with the Dog! I've eaten there 3 times and it's no big deal. It's a unique building, but the Pizza is average at best. It's developed a Rep not based on quality but hype. If everyone says it's true then it must be true---NOT! And the prices are outragous! I don't think these people who do these reviews ever eat there.
    FYI-- A "Basinonian" is someone who lives in the Valley of the Sun, aka Phoenix, aka the Basin since we're surrounded by mountains that hold in the air pollution, much like LA, sad to say.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 07:20:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme
    .....As a "Basinonian" I agree wholeheartly with the Dog! I've eaten there 3 times and it's no big deal. It's a unique building, but the Pizza is average at best. It's developed a Rep not based on quality but hype. If everyone says it's true then it must be true---NOT! And the prices are outragous! I don't think these people who do these reviews ever eat there.........

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 10:51:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:
    .....As a "Basinonian" I agree wholeheartly with the Dog! I've eaten there 3 times and it's no big deal. It's a unique building, but the Pizza is average at best. It's developed a Rep not based on quality but hype. If everyone says it's true then it must be true---NOT! And the prices are outragous! I don't think these people who do these reviews ever eat there.........

What is supposed to mean?
    hutt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 11:01:07 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

...and don't you wish it was a reality, 24/7
    porkbeaks
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 11:06:49 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, since you asked....................it means I thought it best not to comment on the red highlighted portion of your statement. While I wholeheartedly believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how much it flies in the face of folks whose opinion I do respect, to say that the pie at Bianco's is nothing more than "average at best" is pretty much a moronic statement. pb
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 11:49:39 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, since you asked....................it means I thought it best not to comment on the red highlighted portion of your statement. While I wholeheartedly believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how much it flies in the face of folks whose opinion I do respect, to say that the pie at Bianco's is nothing more than "average at best" is pretty much a moronic statement. pb

That's MY Opinion. I think their Pizza is "AVERAGE AT BEST" and I'm stickin' to it. By the way, have you eaten there or are you just going by what others have told you? Saying it's a moronic statment is moronic. So there you Moron.
    porkbeaks
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 11:57:09 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's MY Opinion. I think their Pizza is "AVERAGE AT BEST" and I'm stickin' to it. By the way, have you eaten there or are you just going by what others have told you? Saying it's a moronic statment is moronic. So there you Moron.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 12:09:05 (permalink)
    Hey, it's just pizza yall! Not something really important like chili.
    Joe
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 16:44:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Joe

I agree PJ8. But I think we may have set a record for Omicrons in a thread!
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 16:46:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Joe

Oh papajoe the blasphemy that you wrote is killing me over here. Great pizza makes the whole world seem that much better
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/20 16:50:00 (permalink)
    I've been there. Pizza, way better than average. Prices, not at all outrageous.
    sandiahead
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 05:50:46 (permalink)
    I've never eaten there and I probably never will. Grimaldis is good, Rays is good, Brothers is good and Luna isn't too bad either. There's plenty of good pizza in the Phoenix area that you don't have to wait hours for. If I were going to wait 3 or 4 hours for pizza I'd just hop on a plane and fly to New Jersey.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6322
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 10:03:29 (permalink)
    Hey, I knew people years ago who ran Red Devil pizza in Phoenix.It was great pizza. Is it still there????
    desertdog
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 10:20:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Hey, I knew people years ago who ran Red Devil pizza in Phoenix.It was great pizza. Is it still there????

It is, and they still do a great job. They just opened another up in Pinetop...one of the better places to eat up there.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6398
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 10:35:39 (permalink)
    With the full range of pizzas available across the nation, no wood-fired pizza can be considered average at best. Even when they occasionally botch one it is still well above average.
    porkbeaks
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 10:49:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sandiahead

I've never eaten there and I probably never will. Grimaldis is good, Rays is good, Brothers is good and Luna isn't too bad either. There's plenty of good pizza in the Phoenix area that you don't have to wait hours for. If I were going to wait 3 or 4 hours for pizza I'd just hop on a plane and fly to New Jersey.

If classic Jersey pizza is where you've set your personal preference bar, I can't say I blame you. My idea of perfection is what I grew up on in Central NJ in the 1950's and 1960's, however I would never expect to find anything remotely similar at Pizzeria Bianco. While I have never been there, I know what to expect based on the many reviews and discussions that I've read, here and there, on the internet for a couple of years. I have little doubt that Bianco pizza would sit nicely on my taste buds because.........well, why wouldn't it? Freshest and best of ingredients, very fine pizza oven, all brought together by a guy who takes pride in his product which will probably never be better than it is right now. To me, that style of pizza heads the group with everything else (Sicilian, Greek, New Haven and, most definitely The Jersey/New York) wonderful variations of the original. I respect it, I do not prefer it, but I would never say it's "average at best". jmho, pb
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 11:58:19 (permalink)
    oooooh, a heavy debate breaking out on the PIZZA thread..
    love all the opinions! That's what it's all about, expressing your opinions.

And we even got a plug on here for NJ pizza! Let's here it for NJ!
    And I'll probably take a little heat for what I'm about to say next. I've tried a very popular central Jersey pizza place, Federici's in Freehold, and I did NOT like it. And that's just MY opinion. I HATED their CRACKER-THIN cardboard CRUST that breaks apart while you are eating it.
    (my first preference is a nice, doughy crust. My last preference is CRACKER-THIN). However, the place has got quite a following, so many others LOVE it, including Bruce Springsteen and his family...
    just not ME. Everyone has their own personal tastes. I hated it.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 12:07:12 (permalink)
    Pizza crust can never be too thin for me...

I've heard that Bianco's was fantastic. That number one rating is not their first..It's been mentioned for several years now in different magazines on and off...We tried to go when we were staying in Scottsdale, but unfortunately it was 113 degrees in MAY! We knew we'd have to stand outside and wait so we passed.

"Oh, it's dry heat." Really? It was the hottest weather I have ever encountered and made living in Florida for 25 years feel like Alaska! Don't you believe for one minute what the Arizona Tourism Board tells you!

Word has it that customers at Bianco's line up before they open at 5:00 PM and if you're much later, you're talking an hour or more wait. The guy who owns the place is a pizza fanatic. He has a wonderful reputation. Now, they have Grimaldi's too! Unbelievable. We've all seen pictures of Grimaldi's pizza from one of the posters. How could you go wrong at either place. When you have a good population base, you get all the good restaurants! Lucky them!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/06/29 12:43:39 (permalink)
    I love thin cracker-style pizza crust! I'll have to try Federici's the next time I get to the Freehold area.
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/07/01 11:21:51 (permalink)
    Best pizza is Natales in Gillette NJ, there you go
    fattybomatty
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/07/01 11:33:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GNeedles59

Best pizza is Natales in Gillette NJ, there you go

Gneedles...where in Gillette is that? I'd love to check it out
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/07/01 14:52:03 (permalink)
    IT is on Valley Road across the street from a Stewart's Root Beer in a little strip mall. While the pizza is good (as I remember) it probably is not the best in the world. I was just throwing in my 2cents into a conversation which seems pretty absurd. With tastes varying and all, I would think it is impossible to peg one pizza joing as "the best". But if you like thin NY style pizza, this place is pretty good.
    Fattybomatty, I work in Plainfield and cannot find a good pizza place here, got any ideas?
    fattybomatty
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/07/01 15:04:28 (permalink)
    Sadly some of the pizza place in the area have gone downhill, but I know a few. Gneedles what part of plainfield do you work in? This way I can tell you the closest places to you
    desertdog
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/07/02 01:20:19 (permalink)

When I was a kid, I thought Shakey's was the best pizza I've ever had, (probably was, Iowa is not known for it's pizza). Stopped by one in Redlands, CA this past weekend. Quite nostalgic as they seem to have kept the same theme for all these years. Pizza was decent, certainly nothing to write home about, but I got to go back in time for a little while, which was kinda cool.

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: The Best Pizza in the US - According to Yahoo 2008/07/02 02:00:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

When I was a kid, I thought Shakey's was the best pizza I've ever had, (probably was, Iowa is not known for it's pizza). Stopped by one in Redlands, CA this past weekend. Quite nostalgic as they seem to have kept the same theme for all these years. Pizza was decent, certainly nothing to write home about, but I got to go back in time for a little while, which was kinda cool.

I used to occasionally go to the one by LAX, on Arbor Vitae (I'll admit it), cause I espescially liked their fried chicken on the lunch buffet... I like the fact that most of them still have that 70's look to them. Last time I went was about 5 years ago, when I lived out there
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1