The "Bulkie" roll

Author
tonemonster2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
2005/11/17 10:58:43 (permalink)

The "Bulkie" roll

I am a big fan of bulkie rolls, which seem to be available in most of New England, except where the Tonemonster lurks, which is Fairfield County. Does anyone know the difference between, say a portugese roll and a bulkie roll ? What are different types of rolls in different regions, like the weck ?

16 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18889
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/17 11:18:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tonemonster2

I am a big fan of bulkie rolls, which seem to be available in most of New England, except where the Tonemonster lurks, which is Fairfield County. Does anyone know the difference between, say a portugese roll and a bulkie roll ? What are different types of rolls in different regions, like the weck ?

OK. What is a bulkie roll and what is a Portugese roll?
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/17 11:50:48 (permalink)
    A bulkie roll is kind of like a kaiser roll, but better. In Worcester MA, you're either a Widoff's fan or a Lederman's fan. (I'm for Widoff's.) These rolls, with a nicely chewy crust and soft yielding crumb, are so good many Worcester-ites toast them for breakfast, eschewing bagels and the like. Man I miss em. California is incapable of producing such yeasty rapture.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/17 11:54:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by essvee

A bulkie roll is kind of like a kaiser roll, but better. In Worcester MA, you're either a Widoff's fan or a Lederman's fan. (I'm for Widoff's.) These rolls, with a nicely chewy crust and soft yielding crumb, are so good many Worcester-ites toast them for breakfast, eschewing bagels and the like. Man I miss em. California is incapable of producing such yeasty rapture.

That sounds very much like what we called hard-rolls in Connecticut. I loved those rolls. I loved them grilled and buttered, along with coffee for breakfast. I can't get them in Ohio.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/17 11:55:01 (permalink)
    Okey---Bulkie roll---"harder" crust--airy inside--firm texture---Portugese---softer crust---sweet dough thats "cakey" in "tooth"! both good! Bulkie is my all time favorite burger roll!!! Portugese is the same as "Hawaian" Bread--killer sandwich rolls!! great with pastrami and good mustard!!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/17 11:59:25 (permalink)
    quote:

This is true---BUT--San Francisco Sour Dough is AWESOME and really is local----take it 500 miles and its NOT the same bread! I miss it---the best bread ever for grilled cheese!!!! EVERYWHERE has good regional breads! I THINK i have hade beef on Weck---i remember a hard roll---harder then Bulkie or Kaiser---and oval shaped---it was good what ever it was!!
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/17 13:48:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Water Street in Worcester is not what you remember. There is still some good stuff there, but Goretti's, a local, former, supermarket "chain" that is down to one store, makes a better bulkie. Big Y and Price Chopper do a good job too. They go stale fast, and then, as tiki says, they become good for grilled cheese.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/18 12:17:10 (permalink)
    Do you mean, no Widoff's? No Lederman's? I can't believe it. I won't believe it. (sticks fingers in ears) I can't HEEAAARRR yoooo...
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/18 13:35:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    California is incapable of producing such yeasty rapture.
    We're also incapable of producing Nor'easters and freezing rain, so takes yer choice.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/18 17:51:46 (permalink)
    All this talk of bulkies reminds me----any of you Boston area folks remember a place in town---out by the Prudential building--called the Bulkie?---grat deli---and it seems that it was ALWAYS potato pancake month there--LOVED the sandwiches---and there was a fabulous pastry place close to them too---anyone know if they are still there???---i remember it was open 24 hrs---great food and people watch at 3am!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/18 18:09:49 (permalink)
    quote:

Now that I know you're talking about what they call hard rolls in Fairfield County I cannot imagine why you can't find them. There used to be a nice kosher delicatessen on Park Street in Bridgeport where they had hard rolls all the time. But, if you still can't find them, perhaps you'll want to make them yoourself. In that case, here:

Exported from MasterCook *

Bulkie Rolls

Recipe By : King Arthur Baker's Newsletter
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cup & 2 tbs water
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 1/4 teaspoons salt
    3 1/2 cups King Arthur Flour
    1/2 cup semolina flour
    2 tablespoons pumpernickel flour
    2 teaspoons dry yeast

Place liquid ingredients, salt and sugar in bread machine, add flour,
    semolina and pumpernickel flour. Make well in flour and add dry yeast.
    Program machine for dough cycle, allow machine to complete cycle, form
    8-12 rolls of desired size. Slash rolls diagonally let rise 2 hours,
    bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes until brown. Steam oven with mister
    in first 10 minutes of baking time. When rolls are done, turn oven off
    and allow rolls to cool for 10 minutes in the oven.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Nice crunchy hard roll, that hold up well for sandwiches!
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/23 11:48:40 (permalink)
    Michael, the bulkie roll is different than the hard roll or kaiser roll. It is smaller in circumferenve, slighjtly rounder, and a little more dough-ey. It is also dusted with some sort of flour.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/23 12:06:41 (permalink)
    quote:

Michael, the bulkie roll is different than the hard roll or kaiser roll. It is smaller in circumferenve, slighjtly rounder, and a little more dough-ey. It is also dusted with some sort of flour.

OK. I just found Googled references to them as being hard rolls, and the King Authur recipe noted that they are hard rolls. At any rate, I sure miss hard rolls.
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/23 12:59:53 (permalink)
    Are you saying you can't get hard rolls in your neck o'the woods ? I thought they were ubiquitous !
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/23 13:10:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Are you saying you can't get hard rolls in your neck o'the woods ? I thought they were ubiquitous !

If I could get hard rolls in Central Ohio I would not be this nasty and obstreperous.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/11/25 17:42:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

OK. What is a bulkie roll and what is a Portugese roll?

Isnt a portuguese roll, "muffin", sweet and mostly used for breakfast??..I eat them anytime of day!-- You just reminded me, I am going down to Marlborough Mass in the AM, and have to pick me some up, and restock the freezer..
    They are good for anytime, not just breakfast.. Its like an english muffin to look at without the holes and just sweet, and a ham and cheese sandwich with tomato and mustard sounds just like what I will have when I get back to Maine tomorrow night on one of those.. It almost has a flavor like the cuban "media noche" style bread.. sweet.... YUM...
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: The "Bulkie" roll 2005/12/20 11:48:34 (permalink)
    Growing up, real Portuguese breads were the advantage of having a Dad who commuted to New Bedford. It's hard to find good Portuguese breads even as far inland as Gillette Stadium, my current neighborhood. New Bedford, Fall River, and Provincetown are most reliable, and in N.B. and F.R. you pretty much need an introduction to the neighborhood baker.

Portuguese bread is a white loaf with a light crispy crust and a light moist crumb and a moderate texture. More refined than the rustic loaves that are popular now, not chewy like a sourdough, and more akin to a larger baguette with a lighter crust. Generally when baked into rolls it has an even lighter crust. Unfortunately, supermarkets and bread suppliers around the region basically re-shape their bulkie dough into a fat hoagie loaf, maybe dust it with flour, and sell it as a Portuguese roll.

Portuguese sweet bread is a fine textured, almost cakey soft bread, frequently with a slight yellow hue from eggs. It has a thin, soft, golden crust shiny from egg wash. Closest relative might be a brioche but it's not so rich and perhaps a bit sweeter than the typical brioche. It's a great breakfast bread.

I don't recall the real Portuguese bakeries selling the muffins, but they did show up in supermarkets. Something akin to the sweet bread, but not as rich and a bit coarser textured. Maybe closer to a crumpet than an English muffin, but not bubbly like a crumpet.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1