The Cans on the Cooking Shows

Author
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
2005/04/25 19:15:34 (permalink)

The Cans on the Cooking Shows

Just curious. It seems all the cans -- tomatos and whatnot -- on the TV cooking shows have labels that I have never seen in the supermarket. Are these commercial purveyors' stuff, to the restaurant trade? Stuff that the general public doesn't get to see? Is it any better? Things like that?

Just curious.

19 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18641
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/25 19:17:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

Just curious. It seems all the cans -- tomatos and whatnot -- on the TV cooking shows have labels that I have never seen in the supermarket. Are these commercial purveyors' stuff, to the restaurant trade? Stuff that the general public doesn't get to see? Is it any better? Things like that?

Just curious.

I understand they paste labels on the cans so as not to give free advertising to the companies.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/25 19:21:48 (permalink)
    I agree with Mr Hoffman... Pasted on labels... Though there's been a generic version or 2 I've recognized, but thats been over a several year period...

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/25 19:43:44 (permalink)
    Look closely at the labels on Rachel Ray's stuff.

They aren't just tape over a brand name ... her labels on everything from bottled stuff, canned stuff, frozen stuff, etc., all look authentic -- and they look like stuff I'd like to try.

She'd need a full-time graphic artist tokeep up with it if the relabel everything.

The paste-overs are common on the morning shows and look a bit tacky IMO.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18641
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/25 19:51:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Look closely at the labels on Rachel Ray's stuff.

They aren't just tape over a brand name ... her labels on everything from bottled stuff, canned stuff, frozen stuff, etc., all look authentic -- and they look like stuff I'd like to try.

She'd need a full-time graphic artist tokeep up with it if the relabel everything.

The paste-overs are common on the morning shows and look a bit tacky IMO.

I've noticed the ones on her show. They look very much like new labels that have replaced the brand labels, not paste-overs.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/25 19:54:32 (permalink)
    I was going to say... With todays printers, you can (get it - can) come up with anything and make it look authentic.. Not like the old days when they used rubber stamps... Paste over dont mean a label on top of a label, but a "new printed label"... Hmmm... We could have fun with this! Get your Paint Shop program*, color printer and digital camera ready!!!

* JASC Paint Shop Pro is a good start...

rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/25 20:01:22 (permalink)
    I know its a bit off topic but I remember in scout camp changing the labels on the cans in the kitchen stores area with a razor blade, warm water and scotch tape. Dumpin beets in the fruit salad, language I've never heard before.
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/25 23:43:00 (permalink)
    I haven't watched the Sandra Lee show in quite awhile, but I seem to remember her being pretty obvious with using recognizable labels. Although I think plenty of people would argue that what she does is not even cooking - back when the Food Network website still had message boards there were some lively discussions on that.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/26 07:38:51 (permalink)
    Sandra Lee could just boil water for a half-hour and I'd watch her.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/26 12:50:06 (permalink)
    The color and lack of ornamatation on the labels has always led me to beleive they have some poor associate locked in a closet pasting over regular labels with show generated clones. It makes sence.. why advertise for XYZ if they don't pay..
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/26 13:02:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

all that AND she can cook!! The Mrs. was cleaning out the frig the other day, as she walked by me with an armful she said "I feel like that "bimbo" you watch on food channel (Racheal) being a typical nonthinking male I mutteringly replied..."sure don't look like her" ...... I'm sure I'll be payin for it for yrs.....
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/26 14:24:54 (permalink)
    yes definitly thet paste on computer generated labels, other wise they'd be doing free advertising. similarly, i work at a hotel/events space and at a wedding here recently, the people even went so far as to put brightly striped (in the same colors as the wedding party, no less ) lables over their COSTCO brand water bottles that said "water" in fancy script! funnny you wouldn't want to mess up the photos with an ugly costco bottle now would you!!?!?!?!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/04/26 20:47:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

quote:

all that AND she can cook!! The Mrs. was cleaning out the frig the other day, as she walked by me with an armful she said "I feel like that "bimbo" you watch on food channel (Racheal) being a typical nonthinking male I mutteringly replied..."sure don't look like her" ...... I'm sure I'll be payin for it for yrs.....

Oh boy... Good Luck there...

MikoEats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/08/10 22:11:39 (permalink)
    Yeah, you got in trouble there. But even as a female I don't think RR is a bimbo...I want to BE her! What a life that gal has, and she looks great too.

Anyway, about the labels -- graphic designers can churn out 50 of those in a day. I know this because I work in museums, and we have a fully stocked 1940s grocery exhibit. WE had to faithfully reproduce labels of long-defunct brands and make them look new. We scanned old labels, photoshopped out any faded or stained or torn or rusty bits, and printed out beautiful bright new labels. We then carefully cut them out and applied them with rubber cement onto new, emptied-out cans. It was easy as pie. The Food Network is blessed with legions of stylists, designers, and interns, and this kind of thing is just part of a show's look and easy to do. Doesn't take long at all to design something like a food label on the computer.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/08/10 22:33:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

Just curious.

Out here on the west coast there is a chain of "non-membership warehouse grocery outlets" called Smart & Final ( http://www.smartandfinal.com ) that offers a lot of commercial foods--both size and quality--to anyone who wants to shop there. I, in fact, shop there a lot for things like capers and chutney that tend to be outrageously expensive in regular supermarkets but are quite reasonable in products for the restaurant trade.
    Cornbread
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/10/28 01:40:19 (permalink)
    quote:

What? I watched her once make a Turkey Meatloaf, not wash her hands and then proceed to make a triffle. Semi-Salmonilla more like it.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/10/28 13:57:19 (permalink)
    I personally liked Sandra Lee's Halloween special. That strapless dress and her leaning over the tables to point out the decorations was a true culinary moment.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/10/28 14:03:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

quote:

Yup, Sandra and Rachael sure have nice cans.

Oh, you're talking about the food cans.
    laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/10/28 14:08:13 (permalink)
    I've been agitating for a Food Network swimsuit calendar for some time. Maybe we should start a petition.

Vayo con Queso
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: The Cans on the Cooking Shows 2005/10/28 14:42:14 (permalink)

I do remember reading a press release from Shasta Soda quite a while back commenting on the fact that they paid XXX dollars to be featured in the opening credits of the Rosanne Show . The scene if you ever saw it was of the whole cast at the kitchen table in Rosannes home, camera slowly revolves around the backs of the sitting group- looking across the table. Soda cans are both on the table and being opened by John Goodman...Shasta Root Beer if I remember correctly.A paid 'endorsement'.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1