Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Chocolate Shake, Perfection?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 01/16/06 4:03 PM (permalink)
If you can, try watching "The Secret Life of - Milk Shakes" on the Food Network. As I recall, there was a chocolate shake made with a scoop of vanilla, a scoop of chocolate and milk. It looked pretty tasty.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sf/episode/0,1976,FOOD_17616_37992,00.html

CookieMonster

• Total Posts: 3
    RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Thu, 03/2/06 7:52 PM (permalink)
    I grew up in NY, where a milkshake was what most of us think of -- made with ice cream. What a shock I had when I moved to New England and ordered a milkshake. It was indeed what I would call chocolate milk. Ick. And a frappe was what I would call a milkshake. But don't knock New England -- they had some of the best local ice cream stands (haven't lived there in over ten years, so don't know if they still do). I ate a lot of ice cream while living in New England, and I'm not a big fan of ice cream!

I do, however, love chocolate milkshakes. A milkshake should be so thick that you can't suck it up through a straw. Those milkshakes made with pre-made mixes are not milkshakes!! My father, whose parents owned a soda fountain, told me that the trick to a good milkshake was to make sure the milk was really cold (like, put it in the freezer for a while before making the milk shake)......

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Thu, 03/2/06 8:57 PM (permalink)
      To clarify all of the above...and add some tangent products...

1. As a SoCal young man stationed at Ft Devens Mass in the 60's, I was appalled by the lack of 'density' in the ice cream based beverages. Namely the Milk Shakes (no ice cream in them) Frappes, I learned were what I had grown up with out West.

2 DQ makes a great Shake or Malt, Butterscotch and other flavors too, using their soft serve mix in stead of the 'hard ice cream' we have been discussing.

3 On the West Coast at the Foster Freeze and DQ stands back in the 60's we would order a BOSTON SHAKE. That was a thick milk shake with a DQ soft-serve sundae built into it...looking somewhat like a Float but with the topping visible (hot fudge?) Usually the sundae flavor matched the shake flavor...Chocolate/chocolate or Butterscotch/butterscotch, but having a Hot FUdge sundae float in your butterscotch shake was a real treat too.

4. Lastly.(1964-65) Cooking at a HoJo's on Rt 95 north of Boston I soon learned that Milk Shake was the thin, no ice cream beverage described by others... Then Velvet, Cabinet, Frappe, Concrete, and Thick Shake were pretty much interchangable terms for what the rest of the USA calls a "Shake".

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
        RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Thu, 03/2/06 10:28 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

1. As a SoCal young man stationed at Ft Devens Mass in the 60's, I was appalled by the lack of 'density' in the ice cream based beverages. Namely the Milk Shakes (no ice cream in them) Frappes, I learned were what I had grown up with out West.

2 DQ makes a great Shake or Malt, Butterscotch and other flavors too, using their soft serve mix in stead of the 'hard ice cream' we have been discussing.

3 On the West Coast at the Foster Freeze and DQ stands back in the 60's we would order a BOSTON SHAKE. That was a thick milk shake with a DQ soft-serve sundae built into it...looking somewhat like a Float but with the topping visible (hot fudge?) Usually the sundae flavor matched the shake flavor...Chocolate/chocolate or Butterscotch/butterscotch, but having a Hot FUdge sundae float in your butterscotch shake was a real treat too.

4. Lastly.(1964-65) Cooking at a HoJo's on Rt 95 north of Boston I soon learned that Milk Shake was the thin, no ice cream beverage described by others... Then Velvet, Cabinet, Frappe, Concrete, and Thick Shake were pretty much interchangable terms for what the rest of the USA calls a "Shake".

Yep, I remember the Boston Shakes at Tastee Freezes in Michigan in the the 1950's and 1960's. There were alot of Tastee Freezes in Michigan in the 1950's and the 1960's, then they died out in the 1970's.

Rev.Bucky

• Total Posts: 57
          RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Sat, 04/15/06 4:11 AM (permalink)
          Malt is great in so many shakes, don't limit it to just chocolate or Vanilla, that's Milkshake facism!! In fact, a milkshake I came up with is: Cherry syrup, Pineapple, and Malt, it tastes like Pineapple Upside down cake, mmmm.

And I find this very appropriate, Thanx Jonathan Richman, from the It's Time for Johnathan album Double Chocolate Malted!:

Double chocolate malted
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          No mam a single is not enough not enough no
          (no no no)
          I want a double chocolate malted today
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          I want that horlex brand of chocolate malted
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          yeah I want two scoops!
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          I don't want just a single
          (no no no)

double chocolate malted
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          double chocolate malted for me
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          double chocolate malted for me today
          (yeah yeah yeah)

I want chocolate malted with chocolate ice cream
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          don't use vanilla
          (no no no)
          two scoops and I want two things of horlex malted
          (yeah yeah yeah)

double chocolate malted thank you
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          I dont want any marachino cherries dont puts nuts on it
          (no no no)
          no nuts no nuts
          (no no no)

no whipped cream either
          (no no no)
          no marshmellow
          (no no no)
          but lots of malt
          (yeah yeah yeah)

double chocolate malted
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          double chocolate malted today thank you
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          double chocolate malted today
          (yeah yeah yeah)

double chocolate malted
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          double chocolate malted
          (yeah yeah yeah)
          double chocolate malted today
          (yeah yeah yeah)

I don't want any vanilla ice cream no

(no no no)

yeah you already know about no nuts right

dbouma

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 06/5/06 1:37 AM (permalink)
            If you go to www.softservedepot, they have home made ice cream maker kits and home made shake maker kits with different flavor option kits. They rock!

www.softservedepot.com

roadrash

• Total Posts: 231
              RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Thu, 06/8/06 12:20 AM (permalink)
              To me, the perfect chocolate shake/frappe has GOT to be made with chocolate ice cream, whole milk and Hershey's chocolate syrup. Ideally, the ice cream is Hershey's too. Delicious!

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
                RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Thu, 06/8/06 7:51 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by roadrash

To me, the perfect chocolate shake/frappe has GOT to be made with chocolate ice cream, whole milk and Hershey's chocolate syrup. Ideally, the ice cream is Hershey's too. Delicious!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                  RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Thu, 06/8/06 8:20 AM (permalink)
                  Around here, a chocolate shake is chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup and milk. One made with vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and milk is called a "black and white".

For homemade shakes, I prefer Fox's U-Bet syrup to Hershey's.

phlmaestro

RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Thu, 06/8/06 7:04 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by RubyRose

Around here, a chocolate shake is chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup and milk. One made with vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and milk is called a "black and white".

I was going to say the same thing. Are you in the Philadelphia region? I was surprised earlier this year when I visited the midwest to see them making a chocolate shake with vanilla ice cream, but after doing a bit more research and seeing posts on here, it looks like that's closer to the national norm than what you and I are used to. I've always loved black and white shakes, but have been less crazy about chocolate ones. Now it's great to know that when most people talk about chocolate shakes, they mean the ones I've been loving for years.

EmmaGal

• Total Posts: 2
                      RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 06/26/06 4:08 PM (permalink)
                      I grew up around milkshakes. Hot summer afternoons were cooled off by a double chocolate milkshake.

goldfish

• Total Posts: 2
                        RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 06/26/06 9:31 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by tastysavant

quote:
                        Originally posted by joanie41

I think you have a lot of options here. I mean, we're talking about inherently yummy stuff: milk, ice cream (or not), flavorings (upscale or regular), and so on.

If I went to your shop, and you offered several different types of a chocolate shake, including a frothy chocolate milk, a "traditional" shake, and a shake that went to college (fancy chocolate flavorings, etc), AND you had a little description of each, I'd be happy as a clam. Again, this isn't rocket science, and you could easily offer all three options without things getting too complicated.

If it were my shop, I'd offer a vanilla shake (not everyone eats chocolate) and I'd make sure I offered malt, which is MY favorite add-in!

Have fun with this -- it's a happy dilemma!

Come to think of it, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Not everyone's idea of perfection is the same, and the fact that all three options are variations onto themselves makes having all three a no brainer.

Alright, its decided, all three it is. Now its time for me to do some happy experimenting to get what I think is best for each .

And yes, vanilla and malts are a must!

Whatever you decide to call your "ice cream, flavoring and milk" drink, make sure you make it with hand scooped ice cream.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                          RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 06/26/06 9:55 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Somehow I missed this thread!! At Carvel, they have whats called a 'thick shake float' with a BIG dollop of Carvel's superior soft ice cream inthe middle of the shake with no toppings...YUM!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                            RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 06/26/06 10:19 PM (permalink)
                            Y'all are arguing over nothing. Here's Perfection:

Fill up a metal mixing glass with vanilla ice cream. Squirt in plenty of root beer syrup. Put in a big scoop of malt powder. Add milk to about 80% depth. Put mixing glass in the mixer and let it ride for about 30 seconds. (Understand I'm going from a 40 year memory here.)

Pour into a large glass, screw the cherry, whipped cream, etc.

Sit back and experience nirvana.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                              RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 06/26/06 11:02 PM (permalink)
                              Bushie, you're talkin my language now.

r45u

• Total Posts: 1
                                RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Mon, 08/14/06 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                Can you help me with premix powder recipe for soft ice cream machine using FRESH COWS MILK, not water?

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                  RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Fri, 08/18/06 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                  Mr. Hoffman, 40 years without a "milkshake" is a long time. You don't know what your are missing, even if you have to eat it with ice cream mixed in it. My favorite is a Pineapple "milkshake".

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
                                    RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Sat, 08/19/06 1:25 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by roadrash

To quote a quote:
                                    AAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give a big hoo ha for the lowly Root Beer Float----I know it doesn't belong in this thread but I just started thinkin' and salivatin'.

Peachpie9

• Total Posts: 40
                                      RE: The Chocolate Shake, Perfection? Sat, 08/19/06 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
                                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Don't forget strawberry and butterscotch. But limit the malts to the chocolate and vanilla.
                                      Don't listen to him. If a customer like myself comes in and
                                      orders a strawberry malted, do it. They're heaven.

I so agree. Ever try a peach malted? Nectar of the gods.

quote:
                                      Originally posted by tastysavant

Mom and Pop Chocolate Milkshake

4 scoops vanilla ice cream
                                      1/2 cup of milk
                                      3 tablespoons chocolate flavored syrup

Gourmet (for a lack of words) Chocolate Milkshake

4 scoops vanilla ice cream
                                      ¼ cup of milk
                                      ¼ cup chocolate ganache

Not to confuse you further, Rick, but consider making your "Mom and Pop" with REAL chocolate syrup, from whatever source. Wish I could come over for a chocolate shake (NOT chocolate milk) right now!

Catherine

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com