The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 4 of 7, messages 91 to 120 of 193
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
Well, people, would need a ride. Anyone willing to pick me up at (92nd and Greenfield), in West Allis?

X1

• Total Posts: 937
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 12:49 PM (permalink)
    You do NOT have to twist my arm for a Kauffman's stop!!

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 602
      Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 12:54 PM (permalink)
      I'm in- not sure about any family hangers on- maybe a +1, but not sure who
      I vote YES for Paradise Pup
      E

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
        Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 2:42 PM (permalink)
        As I picked up some new wheels yesterday I'm in for a definite 1, a very good chance of 2, and possibly even a 3.

As far as pre-ordering at PP, I'd like the vegetarian option, please.  Kosher if possible.  Or I guess I could settle for a cheeseburger.
        <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Sun, 01/20/13 2:45 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
          Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 3:57 PM (permalink)
          Good start everyone.  I'm getting the distinct feeling that our hearty Midwestern roots will allow us to stand in the cold for a few minutes while we wait for Paradise Pup to open up.  I just hope AlyceinRoadfoodland's blood, thinned by years of southern California warm weather, will withstand the low temps.

As for New York Bagel & Bialy, no need to make an advance stop there, the Niles location will be part of the tour!

cjucoder, there are several reasonably priced motels in Des Plaines.  Also, neighboring suburb, Rosemont, because of its close proximity to O'Hare airoirt, is built on a foundation of hotels and motels.
          Buddy
          <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 01/20/13 4:02 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 4:08 PM (permalink)
            The guest list so far:
            chicagostyledog - 2 (Joining the group late)
            JRPfeff/PieDiva - 4 (Possibly more)
            X1 - 1
            quijote - 1
            cjucoder - 1
            irisarbor - 1 (Possibly 2)
            ScreamingChicken - 1 (Possibly 2)
            ann peeples - 1 (Pending a ride)
            AlyceinRoadfoodland - 1
            carolina bob - 1
            abe_froeman & Mr. Maki - 2
            BuddyRoadhouse - 2

Total Contingencies - 18

Still hoping to hear from living4funwi, MilwFoodlovers, and stricken_detective.  Also, anyone else who would like to join the group.  The Contingent accepts all.

Buddy
            <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Mon, 02/11/13 6:13 PM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2366
              Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 4:30 PM (permalink)
              At least 2 in the Jpfeff/PieDiva clan will be attending

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 7:16 PM (permalink)
                Put me down as one who's attending as well as one who's looking forward to a return visit to the Pup. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my 9:30AM doctor's appointment in the southern 'burbs makes it unlikely that I'll be there before or even by 11, but I imagine that when I do arrive y'all will still be enjoying your char cheddar burgers ( save one for me please! )  
                <message edited by carolina bob on Sun, 01/20/13 7:18 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 9:11 PM (permalink)
                  Bob, if necessary, we'll get you a burger to go.

Buddy

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
                    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 01/20/13 10:05 PM (permalink)
                    We'll be at the International Kennel Club Show in the morning and will track you down in the afternoon.

Mark & Nina

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
                      Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 01/21/13 12:13 AM (permalink)
                      Oh shoot, Mark!  You being at the dog show has reminded me that I'll be at the other convention at McCormick Place that weekend- the Chicago Dental Society Midwinter Meeting.

I'm 99% sure I signed up for a class or two on Saturday, but when I get to work tomorrow, I'll double check.  If I did, I'm pretty sure they were free classes and it won't be a big deal to skip them. 

ScreamingChicken

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 01/21/13 8:37 AM (permalink)
                        abe_froeman

I'll be at the other convention at McCormick Place that weekend- the Chicago Dental Society Midwinter Meeting.
                        Your middle name's "Fun", isn't it.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                          Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 01/21/13 8:30 PM (permalink)
                          Ann, I'm sure I or anyone else driving that day can pick you up. If I'm driving it may work out best if we could all meet up somewhere not too far off the highway. But as the Big Day approaches and we know who all is going, we'll come up with a plan.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Wed, 01/23/13 2:55 AM (permalink)
                            I was out doing my "homework" today, prepping for the Tour, and I have to say, I'm even more enthusiastic about the event than before.  I stopped at two places I knew I wanted on the tour, but hadn't visited in a long time, so was unsure if they were still any good.  After today's visits all doubts have been removed, and I may be more excited about bringing the group to these joints than I am about Paradise Pup!

I started out at Rinconcito Hispano, the Pupuseria, and discovered they've expanded their menu to include even more Salvadoran specialties.  I ordered one Pupusa just to refresh my memory and then tried one of the newer specialties, Pastelitos De Carne, described as "Salvadoran meat pies made with ground beef".

What arrived at the table was a plate of three pies that looked like typical Mexican Empanadas.  But these were so unique, so different from a typical Empanada.  The first bite started with an audible crunch, but the dough was so light it didn't even seem like it was fried.  After a second or two the crunchy exterior practically melted in my mouth, giving way to the flavorful beef filling.  I had to restrain myself from eating all three Pastelitos because I knew I had more stops to make.

I also tucked into the Rebueltas Pupusa, a thick tortilla-like pancake stuffed with pork rinds and cheese, then griddled.  Another winner.  Both specialties were served with three kinds of salsa and a huge jar of the house pickled cabbage, a sort of Salvadoran cole slaw.

Our biggest problem at Rinconcito Hispana will be walking out of there without filling up too much for the rest of the tour.

Next up was Los Tamales Oaxaquenos, another small family run place specializing in Tamales.  I ordered one Tamale con Pollo and a Gordita stuffed with Al Pastor.  Two more slam dunks!  The Oaxacan Tamale is very different from what we're usually served at most Mexican restaurants.  Rather than a long cylinder shape wrapped in a corn husk, these are more flat and square, and wrapped in banana leaves.  The chicken was shredded lovingly by hand and stuffed abundantly in the masa.  Very tasty!

The Gordita looked like a sope, split in two, stuffed with a generous load of Al Pastor and other toppings, then finished off with a large dollop of crema.  Red and green salsas were served on the side along with a basket of house made chips.  They even have a limited selection of Agua Frescas; Horchata and Jamaica, of course, but also a very refreshing Mango.

Other house specialties include Pambasos; similar to a torta, but made on a long loaf of bread, dipped in red sauce, then stuffed with potatoes and chorizo, Quesadillas de Nopales (cactus), and a dish just for MilwFoodlovers; Camarones Diavolo.

I also checked in with Rand Red Hots to make sure they could accommodate the group, and they are looking forward to our arrival.

More on the Non-Eating parts of the trip in my next post.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Wed, 01/23/13 10:32 AM (permalink)
                              Sounds very promising so far, Buddy.  Will we be able to transport ourselves via foot for at least part of the day or are your selections fairly distant from one another?

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Wed, 01/23/13 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                It will be a mix of near and far, with mostly near.  It will also be the end of February in Chicago.  Could be a mild part of the winter, could be bone chilling.  Either way, I'm not planning to walk anywhere except from my car to the front door of the restaurant.  Even then, if I can coerce any other Contingent members to carry me that short distance, I won't turn down the service.

My motto: "Whenever possible, don't let your feet touch the ground.  There's spiders and worms and stuff down there."

Buddy
                                <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Wed, 01/23/13 1:58 PM>

Pie Diva

• Total Posts: 56
                                  Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 01/28/13 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                  Looks like the JPfeff/PieDiva crew is now at least 4 and most likely 6. Thanks for all your hard work Buddy!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 01/28/13 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                    Yes, it's terribly hard work!  All those mom and pop restaurants I'm forced to try in order to make sure they're worthy of Contingent consideration.  It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for you, my friends.

Thank you Pie Diva for keeping me informed.  I'm off work this coming Thursday and Friday, and will try to put out a substantial update with a final list of where we'll be eating, and more info on our non-eating stops.

Buddy

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                      Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 01/28/13 8:04 PM (permalink)
                                      Beaudreax, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass. My night driving is not what it once  was. See you when the days get longer.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 01/28/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                        Very disappointing, but I understand.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 02/4/13 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                          If one of the Milwaukeeans could please bring me (for Mrs. Chicken) a pint of Purple Door cinnamon ice cream I would be much obliged!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                            Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Tue, 02/5/13 10:59 PM (permalink)
                                            Has it been that long?
                                            I guess it's been that long!
                                            I stole that from the Oak Ridge Boys, by the way.

Big Ugly Mich

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Tue, 02/5/13 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                              How about Leon's?

Big Ugly Mich

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Tue, 02/5/13 11:02 PM (permalink)
                                                ScreamingChicken
                                                If one of the Milwaukeeans could please bring me (for Mrs. Chicken) a pint of Purple Door cinnamon ice cream I would be much obliged!
                                                How about Leon's?

Big Ugly Mich

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Tue, 02/5/13 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                                  BuddyRoadhouse
                                                  Still hoping to hear from living4funwi, MilwFoodlovers, and stricken_detective.  Also, anyone else who would like to join the group.  The Contingent accepts all.
                                                  Has it been that long? I guess it's been that long! Props to the Oak Ridge Boys!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Wed, 02/6/13 12:33 AM (permalink)
                                                    Outlook not so good. I expect pictures!!!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                      Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Wed, 02/6/13 2:18 AM (permalink)
                                                      Big Ug,
                                                      Is that your way of saying you'll be joining us for this tour?

Buddy

living4funwi

• Total Posts: 18
                                                        • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                        Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Wed, 02/6/13 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        Sounds like a fun time as always.  I have plans to be in Door County that weekend. Hi to all. Hopefully I can make another outing soon!

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 602
                                                          • Location: Deerfield, IL
                                                          Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 02/11/13 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                                          I am really looking forward to seeing everyone.
                                                          Do we have a semi-itinerary?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Joined: 12/10/2004
                                                            • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                            Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Mon, 02/11/13 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            Sorry, I've been delinquent in my updates.  Been busy with work and other such useless time consuming activities.

Got a day off on Tuesday, leading up to a certain Mardi Gras gathering in the evening.  I'll do my best post the latest information, including some non-eating stops under consideration.

Buddy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 4 of 7, messages 91 to 120 of 193

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com