The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 151 to 180 of 193
abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 12:08 AM (permalink)
I'm available on Friday evening, too, assuming I'm not too worn out from working on the house all day.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 9:34 AM (permalink)
    http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/dining/the-state-of-the-wisconsin-fish-fry-2013-118qn86-192317361.html

Who are these "food experts" from Pewaukee Wisconsin giving their opinion on Wisconsin fish fries?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
      Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
      Beats me.  Carol Deptolla must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

AlyceinRoadfoodland

• Total Posts: 31
        Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 2:18 PM (permalink)
        Now Buddy, is that anyway to talk when the Mayor is so anxious to boost tourist?
        That said, I'll be in the neighborhood by about 4pm - 330-603-6075.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
          Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 2:57 PM (permalink)
          Lot's of chores and errands to take care of today while working out details for tomorrow.  Information may come in pieces, hope y'all can work with that.

Because we're traveling in a fairly tight area, my concept is to treat the tour with a more improvisational attitude than those we've done in the past.  We'll have a definite starting point (Paradise Pup) and a definite finish (Mehanata).  In between we can duck and weave based on the whims of the group. Because of that, there will be a list of places we'll be (potentially) visiting, with full addresses, but no map to speak of.  For anyone without a GPS, we'll work out directions from stop to stop.

Our first stop is Paradise Pup, located at 1724 S. River Rd., naturally in Des Plaines.  They open at 11:00am and are known for long lines.  Not as long as at "Hot Doug's", but long enough.  We should plan on meeting there at 10:45.

I'll hand out a full list of places at Paradise Pup and we'll go from there.  I'll have my cellphone turned on all day Saturday.  If anyone needs that number, please send me a PM.

See you at 10:45 at Paradise Pup!

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 3:00 PM (permalink)
            Another page bump:

chicagostyledog - 2 + Sam (Back on the list!)
            JRPfeff/PieDiva - 6 (Could there...Possibly...be...more)
            X1 - 1
            quijote - 1
            cjucoder - 1
            irisarbor - 2 (Possibly 3 or 4)
            ScreamingChicken - 1
            AlyceinRoadfoodland - 1
            carolina bob - 1
            abe_froeman & Mr. Maki - 2
            BuddyRoadhouse - 1

Total Contingencies - 19 People and one big ol' Dog!
            <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Fri, 02/22/13 9:05 PM>

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
              Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 7:28 PM (permalink)
              NEWS FLASH! Nina, Sam, & I will be present and accounted for at Paradise Pup tomorrow.
              CSD

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 8:53 PM (permalink)
                Yay!!!

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 8:59 PM (permalink)
                  BuddyRoadhouse

ScreamingChicken - 1 (Possibly 2)
                  Just 1 this time...gainful employment will keep the others from attending.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 9:44 PM (permalink)
                    Screaming Chicken, I meant to get you some Purple Door today, but the last gasps of a rotten cold kept me indoors all day. I'll try to swing by a grocery tomorrow before X1 and I hit the road, so I hope you have a well-stocked ice chest waiting, just in case all goes well. Not sure what kind you might favor, so I'll try for something with chocolate in it unless I hear back otherwise. -Q

Edit: Just went back and saw that you hope for cinnamon, so will try for that. If cinnamon's a no-go, do you want another flavor?
                    <message edited by quijote on Fri, 02/22/13 9:48 PM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
                      Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Fri, 02/22/13 10:35 PM (permalink)
                      Q - We already procured the ice cream for CluckingRooster.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 3:10 AM (permalink)
                        For anyone checking the thread before leaving home Saturday, you might want to bring a cooler.  You probably won't need it with the cold weather, but just in case, some of the items we pick up at the various shopping opportunities might be better off in a cooler.

The itineraries are printed up and my alarm is set for an early wake up.  See you at 10:45 at Paradise Pup!

Buddy

quijote

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 5:31 AM (permalink)
                          JRPfeff

Q - We already procured the ice cream for CluckingRooster.

Okay! This means I only have to look for the lutefisk chocolate bars he requested. A clucking rooster is a hungry rooster.

quijote

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 7:46 AM (permalink)
                            JRPfeff

I was thinking the same thing.  Are there hotels in the area that rent rooms by the hour?

{I get pretty brave when the Pie Diva is 900 miles away}

Actually, because I may have stay overnight in DP if I get too tired, I looked around for inexpensive hotels and found this place that has a 4-hour rate. The Yelp and Yahoo reviews do seem to indicate that there is a bit of trysting going on there....

ScreamingChicken

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 7:49 AM (permalink)
                              I would never ruin the great taste of lutefisk with chocolate.

ScreamingChicken

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 7:55 AM (permalink)
                                quijote

JRPfeff

I was thinking the same thing.  Are there hotels in the area that rent rooms by the hour?

{I get pretty brave when the Pie Diva is 900 miles away}
                                Actually, because I may have stay overnight in DP if I get too tired, I looked around for inexpensive hotels and found this place that has a 4-hour rate. The Yelp and Yahoo reviews do seem to indicate that there is a bit of trysting going on there....
                                Is it BYO trysting partner or are on-site rentals available?

Pie Diva

• Total Posts: 56
                                  Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 8:20 AM (permalink)
                                  I would prefer staying here.  http://www.sybaris.com/. And they have an afternoon rate!

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                    Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 8:30 AM (permalink)
                                    Does this Sybaris place have the necessities for pie baking?

chicagostyledog

• Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                      Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 9:05 AM (permalink)
                                      JRPfeff

Does this Sybaris place have the necessities for pie baking?

They do. However, I cannot go into details on this forum.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 9:19 AM (permalink)
                                        Depends what kind of pie your lookin' for.

Buddy

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
                                          Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 10:03 AM (permalink)
                                          Big thick juicy pie

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
                                            Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                            Q, if you're looking for top-notch accomodations in Des Plaines, you're better off at the Polo Inn.

Only the best hobos and meth addicts stay there.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                              And it's walking distance to the McDonald's Museum!

Buddy

chicagostyledog

• Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                Our hats are off to Buddy Roadhouse for one of the finest, funnest, tours in Contingent history! Great job!
                                                Great food! Great company!

Mark, Nina, & Sam

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                  Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 11:40 PM (permalink)
                                                  Awesome day!  Well paced dining, fun variety of activities & great food.  As I told BuddyRoadhouse, I was amazed at all Des Plaines has to offer. 

Why didn't we go to McDonald's Museum?

Great job Jeff!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sat, 02/23/13 11:49 PM (permalink)
                                                    JRPfeff
                                                    Why didn't we go to McDonald's Museum?
                                                    Believe me, I investigated that option.  Unfortunately, that museum is closed until warmer weather rolls around.

Come back in June and we'll take the tour.

Buddy

quijote

Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 02/24/13 12:57 AM (permalink)
                                                      Thanks Buddy and the Contingencies for a fabulous day!  X1 and I made it back to Milwaukee safe and sound, but next time I may want to stay over in DP for the extended tour. I don't think I'll pick the Polo Inn, however tempting hobos, meth, and bedbugs may be. But I may try to find a way to sleep in the Shop and Save market, which I have absolutely fallen in love with. If you come looking for me, I'll be curled up in the pierogi section or hunkered down with the paczkis.
                                                      <message edited by quijote on Sun, 02/24/13 1:03 AM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                        Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 02/24/13 1:40 AM (permalink)
                                                        Nothing like a soft, pillowy prune paczki to lay your head upon.  Sweet dreams my little prince...

Buddy

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                          Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 02/24/13 3:19 AM (permalink)
                                                          So sorry i missed this one! Glad you all had a good time......
                                                          Annie

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                                                            • Location: Milwaukee, WI (Ex-NOLA)
                                                            Re:The Contingent Invades The NW Suburbs Of Chicago, February, '13 Sun, 02/24/13 6:18 AM (permalink)
                                                            Yes, thank Buddy for organizing this...very much fun!

I loved both the markets, of course, but the highlight was the bacon-wrapped Feta rolls at Hemanata.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 151 to 180 of 193

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com