The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
yellodeere
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/10 22:05:31 (permalink)
I remember meeting you in New Orleans !  I would like to join you for this Mad city tour.  Keep in touch.
yellodeere
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/10 22:29:35 (permalink)
I'd Pay to see that link in person !!  Really good operator.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2556
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/15 21:14:43 (permalink)
Based on the input on this thread, this is how the itinerary is shaping up.  Feel free to make suggestions if this misses the mark.

11:30 - Pan & Pan, for those who can get there early and want to try a Mexican bakery/taqueria.  We can enjoy the Madison AtoZ experience with Nichole & JM (and wait for Buddy & Co.).

12:30 - Leave Pan & Pan/Woodman's and travel to State Street, we may want to drive via Williamson Street which is more interesting than East Washington Ave.  Unfortunately, I believe the Corner Store is closed Sundays.

13:00 - Park at the Capitol - State St. Ramp, Lot 8 on this map - http://www.cityofmadison.com/parking/downtownMap.html. Congregate on State Street side of Capitol following tour.  We will also park some vehicles on the University end of State Street to ferry people back to their cars following this portion of the tour.

13:00 - 15:30 - Wander down State Street.  Stop to sit & eat at Plaza Tavern, one Asian/Mid-Eastern place, and Daily Scoop Deli for ice cream.  We can also grab and share stuff to eat on the street as the group travels from Capitol to university - this is the scavenger hunt.  I'm putting together a map identifying all restaurants on and near State Street.  Stay tuned.

16:00 - Asian Midway Foods and maybe a drive through the arboretum.

16:30 - Since Doug's Soul Food is TM'd on Sundays, and there is a lot of interest in barbecue, I suggest a stop at Smoky Jon's for our late meal.

Pluses, this covers the following:
  • Tag along to a Madison AtoZ review
  • Sample some unusual ethnic food
  • Eat at a Roadfood reviewed place
  • Barbecue by request
  • Some cultural attractions - State & Willy Streets, the Capitol, arboretum
We could also try to go to The Curve which is very close to Midway or another non-State Street place.  But that may too many stops, too much food.

Minus:
  • We completely miss the West side & Middleton. 
I think the only way we could add those areas is as the start or end, but Woodman's works great as the meet-up place and we have a lot of votes for barbecue.  The route is also fairly compact, a lot of food without much driving.

Feedback?
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 645
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/16 00:26:23 (permalink)
Looks awesome, Jim.  In the 13:00-15:30 block, we may want to skip the Asian/ME place if the scavenger hunt later on has us procuring ethnic foods. That would give us more time for the hunt, especially since some orders (and walkers) will take longer than others.

The good thing about not doing the west side and Middleton this time around is that it leaves open the possibility of another tour someday for that part of town.

I hope yellodeere and the other newer posters can join us.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/16 01:14:36 (permalink)
Without making a big issue of it, I'd rather go to Fat Jack's (assuming it's open on Sundays) for 'Que.  I'd be happy to discuss the matter privately with any interested parties.

Other than that, it looks like a fine schedule.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/16 08:32:44 (permalink)
Both Smoky Jon's and Fat Jack's are open Sunday evenings.  The only issue I can think of is that the road to Fat Jack's (Monona Drive) is really torn up right now but it's a very short stretch and shouldn't be a problem.

Brad
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/16 20:26:53 (permalink)
Quijote - We can play the second sit-down by ear.  I know that some of the group will want to rest on the way down State.  Fortunately, there is plenty of al fresco dining along the way (I think that is Spanish for dining ala trunk).  We could have some folks sit and order while others scatter about looking for culinary treasures to bring back.  If any restaurant has a problem with that, we can have JM & Nichole pull a "Do you know who we are?" on them.

Buddy - No problem with me for Fat Jack's.  This may actually make for a better driving route.  And this will also put us within range of David's Jamaican Restaurant and Michael's Frozen Custard if anyone still has room.  I've plotted the revised route and it looks something like this.

Bobbi & I will be in Madison on Sunday and intend to verify which restaurants on State Street are open.  After that I will post my map and restaurant list so that we can plan further.  I think the diversity of cuisine on State Street will surprise some of you.

Jim
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/17 10:21:25 (permalink)
JRPfeff
We could have some folks sit and order while others scatter about looking for culinary treasures to bring back.  If any restaurant has a problem with that, we can have JM & Nichole pull a "Do you know who we are?" on them.

The restaurant people may well tremble and relent when they see our WWbbD? bracelets.... The spirit and legacy of buffetbuster can soften even the most hardened restaurateurs.

this will also put us within range of David's Jamaican Restaurant

cjucoder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 170
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/17 15:08:53 (permalink)
quijote

The restaurant people may well tremble and relent when they see our WWbbD? bracelets.... The spirit and legacy of buffetbuster can soften even the most hardened restaurateurs.
I am temporarily living with a relative so only have a limited number of possessions with me. I made sure to bring my WWbbD bracelet, but forgot a bunch of tax records. Shows my priorities

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/17 15:59:03 (permalink)
Speaking of the WWbbD bracelets... I managed to lose mine somewhere in the Charleston SC area. Jim, are there any still available?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/17 16:46:03 (permalink)
Sorry Bob.  The last of the wrist bands were distributed in Buffalo.

Jim
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2881
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/17 17:16:14 (permalink)
I'm holding a small sack for return at our next meeting...
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/17 17:24:34 (permalink)
Wow CTD!

A man of lesser integrity would have ebay'd those for thousands by now.

Jim
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/18 01:35:04 (permalink)
That's true.  I'll bet those suckers are worth a fortune in the Roadfood community.  I'm gonna start watching my back at these Meet & Greets...

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2881
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/18 10:13:29 (permalink)
There are a few folks trying the 'I've lost it" routine...I believe these are the folks responsible for driving the market on ebay resulting in a virtual black market.  Carolina Bob comes to mind as he has "misplaced" 14 WWbbD wristbands...how else does one afford 13 states in 17 days?
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/18 11:01:34 (permalink)
Actually it was seventeen states in thirteen days, and yes, I'm the one responsible for the current black market in WWbbD bands. It was a nice profitable scam while it lasted, but apparently the jig is up.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/18 19:04:29 (permalink)

Bobbi and I had other business in Madison today so we decided to scout the May 2 route.  Our first stop was at Pan & Pan, the Mexican bakery and taqueria.  We didn't know what to expect, but these Mexican baked goods were excellent.  We bought everything on that platter.  Our grand total was $5.50.

We hadn't planned on having lunch there, but they had carnitas tacos on special for $1.  I ordered one just to try it, and they brought out a basket of chips and a large bowl of salsa with it.

These carnitas were like the ones I remember from 25 years ago.  I have a pretty good idea that some lard was used in the preparation.

After our snack we took a leisurely drive to the Capitol Square and parked. A look at the Capitol from the top of State Street.

Turning 180 degrees, you can see the east end of the UW campus at the far end of State Street. 

We walked the length of State Street and back, checking to find which restaurants were open on Sunday.  There were some disappointments, which I will detail in another post.  But there was still a huge choice of cuisines, with plentiful street side dining and numerous park benches for rest and refueling.

After State Street we drove past Midway Asian Foods and through the UW Arboretum.  Based on the heavy pedestrian and cyclist use of the arboretum, it is probably not the best place to bring a caravan of motor vehicles.  We then drove to Monona Drive and past Fat Jack's, David's Jamaican, and Micheal's Frozen Custard.  We noticed both Latino and Asian food markets on Monona Drive.  They may be worth a stop.

After a stop at the houses my brother moved and is preparing for sale, we decided to return to Pan & Pan for another meal before heading home.  They served the same excellent tortilla chips, this time with a red salsa rather than the green we had the first time.  It was killer hot.

I ordered the carnitas platter that was on special for $5.99.  It included 2 spare ribs, rice, beans, and corn tortillas.  It was all very tasty.

We had a great day and are really looking forward to the May 2 Eat & Greet.  If you are having doubts about attending, get over them.  You won't want to miss this one.  I am updating my State Street dining list and will post it after I'm done.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2010/04/19 20:40:01
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/19 20:26:20 (permalink)
This is the followup to yesterday's walk down State Street.  The street was very busy, with most restaurants open for lunch with many patrons.  That means we should have a good range of choices on the 2nd. 

Unfortunately, three places previously mentioned were not open.  Miles Teddywedger's is closed Sundays and Vientiane does not open until dinner (although it was hard to tell they were still in business by the looks of the place).  The biggest disappointment was that the Roadfood reviewed Plaza was not open for lunch.  This despite their website saying the that grill is open at Noon on Sunday.  We'll need a Plan B for burgers on May 2, in case the Plaza is not open.

We compiled a list of possible Roadfood-worthy stops on State Street.  I tried to leave out chain and coffee houses, as well as bars not noted for their food. The type of cuisine is noted where it is not obvious in the name.  I will have copies of this printed for the May 2 Eat & Greet.

Please discuss. 

100 Block of State Street
  • Myles Teddywedger’s Cornish Pasty, 101 State Closed Sunday
  • Ian’s Pizza (Unique slices), 115 State
  • Frida Mexican Grill, 117 State
  • Zander’s Capital Grille (Burgers), 118 State
  • Tiki Shack (Tropical seafood), 122 State Opens Later
200 Block of State Street
  • The Icon (Tapas), 206 State Opens Later
  • Orpheum Lobby Restaurant (Sandwiches), 216 State
  • Nick’s Restaurant (Diner), 226 State
300 Block of State Street
  • Mad Dog’s Chicago Style Eatery, 309 N. Henry
  • Plaza Tavern (Home of the Plaza Burger, Roadfood reviewed), 319 N. Henry Opens Later
  • Tutto Pasta, 305 State
  • Pizza di Roma (NY style pizza), 313 State
  • Takara (Japanese), 315 State
  • Parthenon Gyros, 316 State
  • Himal Chuli (Nepalese), 318 State
  • Chautara (Himalayan/Nepalese), 334 State
  • Casa de Lara (Mexican), 341 State
  • Veintiane Palace (Thai), 151 W. Gorham Opens Later
400 Block of State Street
  • Brickhouse BBQ, 408 W. Gorham
  • Hawk’s (Pub fare), 425 State
  • Asian Kitchen (Chinese), 449 State
  • Taste of Tibet, now open
  • Wasabi (Sushi, Japanese), 449 State Opens Later
500 Block of State Street
  • Fugu (Asian fusion), 411 W. Gilman
  • Amy’s Cafe (Salads, sandwiches), 414 W. Gilman
  • King of Falafel (Middle Eastern), 453 W. Gilman Opens Later
  • Sushi Hut, 505 State
  • Nadia’s (French Provencal), 508 State Opens Later
  • MiaZa’s Café (Italian), 515 State
  • Gino’s (Italian), 540 State
  • Kabul (Afghan, Middle Eastern), 541 State
  • Buraka (East African), 543 State
  • Husnu’s (Turkish), 547 State
  • Fat Sandwich Company, 555 State
600 Block of State Street
  • State Street Brats, 603 State
  • Rising Sons Deli (Laotian, Thai), 617 State
  • Mediterranean Café (Middle Eastern), 625 State Opens Later
  • Sunroom Café (Sandwiches), 638 State
  • Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry (Madison’s favorite burgers), 317 N. Francis - 2 blocks off State
  • Porta Bella (Italian), 425 N. Francis Opens Later
Library Mall Area
  • Memorial Union Daily Scoop Deli
  • Thai’s Cuisine – Food Cart
  • King of Falafel – Food Cart
  • Other food carts available

post edited by JRPfeff - 2010/04/27 21:31:20
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/19 21:04:29 (permalink)
Great scouting report, Jim. I just ate dinner, but those pictures have incited cravings in me for Mexican food. Would Dotty Dumpling's Dowry work as a good backup if the Plaza Tavern is closed? A lot of people rave about DDD's burgers, but I don't know if it's the sort of place that's perpetually packed and difficult for a moderately sized group to eat in. Or we could consider Zander's, Nick's, or Hawk's instead....?

Or we could just go to a pizza or ethnic place instead the Plaza Tavern for lunch.... The diversity of food on State seems wide enough to allow for further exploration (without repetition) during the Scavenger Hunt.

Alternatively, maybe we could do the BBQ for lunch and the Tavern for dinner, though that would throw off the balance of cultural activities.... But then we could rearrange the order of things a bit: Pan & Pan, BBQ, grocery stops, State Street Scavenger Hunt, Lakefront walk?, Plaza Tavern, Ice cream.

(Edit: Web info indicates that Fat Jack's opens at 4:00 pm, so scratch that last idea.)

It sounds like it'll be a wonderful experience, no matter what.
post edited by quijote - 2010/04/19 21:11:21
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/19 23:25:45 (permalink)
The list looks great!  The Contingent salutes you, JRPfeff and Pie Lady, for your diligence and extra effort.  Any instant impressions as to pricing and or Roadfoodworthiness at any of these places?  I can attest to Himal Chuli, Chautara, The Daily Scoop, and Dotty Dumpling's.  Any of the others strike you as being exceptional?

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 606
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 09:47:24 (permalink)
I would lean towards the places that are more nibble-friendly as opposed to entire meal-ish, personally...
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 940
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 11:23:46 (permalink)
I agree.
Not to mention, with all the unusual ethnic variety, I'd rather stay away from pizza, burgers and Mexican.

BBQ/Soul, however, is still my top choice
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 11:23:48 (permalink)
I agree.
Not to mention, with all the unusual ethnic variety, I'd rather stay away from pizza, burgers and Mexican.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 19:49:21 (permalink)
X1

I agree.

You can say that again.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 21:15:56 (permalink)
irisarbor & X1 - That is the only way we will survive.  There are plenty of counter service places that will work for noshing.  However, most of the unusual ethnic places are sit down service.  We can order carryout and find a place to share, otherwise, some may want to pick places to sit for at least one meal. 

Depending on our head count, some may want to split off into smaller Contingents (Squads?) and go to different restaurants in some locations.

Buddy - I can't argue with your picks.  Here are some suggestions for our three hour tour, for what they are worth. 

A stop at Ian's to share a few slices (they are huge) will be a good start.  This is also a chance for our Ian's virgins to try Mac & Cheese, Bacon & Eggs, or whatever truly bizarre pizzas they are offering that day. 

Nick's is a Madison classic and definitely Roadfoody.  The fried chicken is highly recommended and they offer pie and outdoor seating, too. 

On our Sunday walk we almost stopped at Mad Dog's for a pulled pork topped Polish, but you don't need to come to Wisconsin for Chicago food. 

I really would like to eat at the Plaza, if it is open.

If we are sitting down, I take Himal Chuli over Chatura for our Himalayan fix.  They offer outdoor seating (Note that I'm assuming a beautiful day).  Otherwise, carryout something from each to share and compare.

Takara looks like a good stop for sushi. 

I've tried Pizza di Roma and liked their pie, but what do I know having never been to NYC. 

I think Oakland Gyros in Milwaukee is far superior to the Parthenon.  Skip the Parthenon.

Brickhouse BBQ smelled good when we passed it.

Kabul for Afghan food and Buraka for East African are adjacent.  Maybe some carryout from each to split on the street.

A trip over to Dotty's is not for everyone.  We could send someone (we're bringing our kids) over to carryout some burgers. 

I'd like to try the Thai from Rising Son's Deli.

By the time we get ice cream at the Union we'll be dead. 

Eyes >>> Stomach
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 21:27:32 (permalink)
What happened to 3, maybe 4 stops, max?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 21:32:51 (permalink)
I'm just laying out some suggestions.  And we don't all have to stop at the same places. 
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/20 22:10:21 (permalink)
Nearly all of these sound compelling, so I'm game. I must say that the idea of fried chicken at Nick's sounds really good.... I've been to a few of the ethnic places (several years ago) and enjoyed them, so I have no problems with that.... I too would like to hit the Tavern if it's open, just because.
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/21 01:09:52 (permalink)
I'm holding out hope that I can make it but it seems unlikely. I am trying to catch up on all the info. Keeping my fingers crossed.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The Contingent will invade MadCity on May 2, 2010! 2010/04/22 22:12:36 (permalink)
X1,

I was poking around looking at Madison restaurants and found one that will be worth a trip back some time.  Madison's version of The Bayou claims to be a New Orleans style tavern.  The menu looks authentic to me, even down to fresh Leidenheimer bread flow in daily, but you're the expert.  Unfortunately for our May 2 outing, they are closed Sundays.

Jim
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1