The Contingent's Friday fish fry

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5233
2011/10/31 11:46:27 (permalink)

The Contingent's Friday fish fry

Last Friday some of us met up at Beer Belly's on West Layton Ave. in Milwaukee.  In a moment, the result of that trial.

I mentioned a visit to Antigua in a different report; after our lunch there we went and got culturized at the Milwaukee Art Museum.  Here are a couple of shots of the Calatrava-designed Quadracci Pavilion, which was added about a decade ago and is pretty neat.

On to the food!  As we were the first ones there I was wedged up against the wall and didn't get any people photos, but I tried to get most of the plates.

The Chicken Family started with a cup of flavorful, mildly spicy shrimp bisque.

Mrs. Milwfoodlovers ordered the macaroni and cheese with a side of green pepper sticks and something else.  The mac 'n' cheese had a nice smoky flavor from one of the cheeses used...at least, I hope that was the case and it wasn't liquid smoke.

Milwfoodlovers holds up his plate of pan-fried walleye.

Pie Diva ordered a plate of "belly sticks" (stuffed breadsticks) to share with the table.  Thanks!

X1's blackened grouper; it looked really good and during the drive home Mrs. SC and I agreed that one of us should've ordered it.  X1 also ordered some tasty clam strips to pass around but there's no photo.

I also had the pan-fried walleye but chose rice pilaf instead of fries or potato pancakes.

My daughter likes crab legs so that's what she chose.

Are fried smelt popular in any other states?  They're definitely a Wisconsin Thing and these were pretty good...crispy, just slightly fishy, and great with a beer.  This is my wife's plate and those are potato pancakes to the right.  Unfortunately Beer Belly's makes them in advance and that's to their detriment, as they weren't all that great and a few more minutes in the fryer might've helped.

Buddy and Mrs. Roadhouse split cups of clam chowder and shrimp bisque.

And then they ordered a plate of pan-fried bluegill.  I think Buddy was pretty well overloaded by this point so I'm not sure if he liked it or not, but generally it's a good frying fish and it seems to be becoming more widely available these days.  A few minutes later that dish of mac 'n' cheese was upside down on the table...sitting next to Buddy is somewhat akin to being in the front row at a Gallagher show!

It was a good meal and a good time and I'm sure we would've lingered at least a little bit had Beer Belly's not scheduled another group of people for our table.  Not too long after getting home (about a 2 hour drive) I cashed in my chips for the evening...

Brad
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2011/10/31 11:47:48

6 Replies Related Threads

quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 650
    Re:The Contingent's Friday fish fry 2011/10/31 12:30:36 (permalink)
    Great reports, and thanks for the pics, Brad. I had the pan-fried bluegill at Beer Belly's, and really enjoyed it. Less interesting were the fries and slaw accompanying the meal. On Pie_Diva's recommendation I ordered the "Ranch Fries," but I'm guessing the server only heard the word "Fries," as there was no ranch flavor on what I ordered. I agree that X1's grouper was delicious, and that shrimp bisque looks mighty good. Ideas for next time.

For me, the star of the show was the applesauce that Pie_Diva and Son of Pie_Diva brought: warm, pureed yet slightly chunky, and nudged with the right amount of cinnamon and clove. Really delicious.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4318
    Re:The Contingent's Friday fish fry 2011/10/31 12:56:17 (permalink)
    Brad,
    The bluegill was fine, but as I 've mentioned in a couple other threads, I'm still dreaming of the fried walleye buffetbuster ordered at McBob's earlier in the day.  I'm tellin' ya, we gotta check that out sometime!

Gallagher?  Really?  That's just plain hurtful.

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    Re:The Contingent's Friday fish fry 2011/10/31 14:08:50 (permalink)
    I'd certainly be interested in a McBob's visit but according to the website the walleye's a Wednesday/Friday special, so that might make it a bit more difficult for some.  Can't hurt to try, though.

Brad
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:The Contingent's Friday fish fry 2011/11/04 16:04:31 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Yeah! 

Buddy is more of a Yakov Smirnoff kind of guy.

Back to the "Fish Fry".................

I live in the WRONG STATE!!!!!!!
    Your adventure looks wonderful and I am sure it tasted even better than the pictures.
    post edited by CajunKing - 2011/11/04 16:06:13
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:The Contingent's Friday fish fry 2011/11/04 21:58:52 (permalink)
    I l-o-v-e fried smelt, though it has been a few years since I have had any.  I just would get the dressed smelt, toss them in the hot oil and fry them.  I have never seen them breaded before.  Fried smelt eggs are also fantastic.  (No, you don't have to crack the shells.)

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4318
    Re:The Contingent's Friday fish fry 2011/11/04 22:54:55 (permalink)
    CajunKing

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Yeah! 

Buddy is more of a Yakov Smirnoff kind of guy.

You guys are killin' me.  Oh well, you're both still funnier than either of the two alleged comedians you mentioned.

Buddy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1