The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab?

Author
JDAStonewall
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2009/04/09 16:27:58 (permalink)

The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab?

I keep hearing rumors that The Crab Shack on Tybee Island, Georgia serves imported crab not locally caught. Any truth to this?

18 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/09 18:24:26 (permalink)
    I am not sure if there is any truth to this or not, but do you have a source for where you heard this "rumor?"

For that matter, if it is true, I guess my question is "so what?"  If they are still serving a quality product - and from my actual visits there - my opinion is that the place serves a quality meal - then I don't know that it matters.  G&M Restaurant is widely believed around these parts to sell (one of) the finest crab cakes in the Baltimore area, and I am pretty sure that they have been known to use imported crab meat.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2296
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/09 22:13:06 (permalink)
    What I know about the Crab Shack is that Al, Janet and I went there a few years ago, and none of us were at all impressed with their super-duper all-inclusive dinner for three.
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/09 22:50:24 (permalink)
    having just spent two and a half years in Savannah my comment is that the Crab Shack is a fun place to go. Sometimes one can get a good meal and sometimes a so-so one. I cannot verify whether they use imported crab or shrimp but it never seemed like they were using the best local shrimp for example. I always had a good time but certainly there are better places to get crab and shrimp and other seafood than the Crab Shack.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/10 10:12:59 (permalink)
    Is there a limited crab season?  If  so, I would expect all places serving crab year round to use some that is imported.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/10 10:39:17 (permalink)
    Smokestack Lightning has the correct view on The Crab Shack: the place is fun, the food is OK, not great on their best day. We were there last about three years ago and had a good time on a chilly evening under their heaters, and we'd be happy to return , but not because the food is worth any sort of detour - it aint. 

BTW: Did Smokestack take his handle from the greatest BBQ book ever written, or the rock group, or something else?

Cheers, John 
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/10 14:04:25 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Smokestack Lightning has the correct view on The Crab Shack: the place is fun, the food is OK, not great on their best day. We were there last about three years ago and had a good time on a chilly evening under their heaters, and we'd be happy to return , but not because the food is worth any sort of detour - it aint. 

BTW: Did Smokestack take his handle from the greatest BBQ book ever written, or the rock group, or something else?

Cheers, John

Thanks John,

Actaully i took the name from the song by the great blues artist Howlin' Wolf. i am makinga  film on him and writing a biography on him. He was actually referring to trains but was known to love BBQ as wll!

Josh
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/10 15:13:22 (permalink)
    I was told that Crab Shack's seafood was imported by a friend of my son's who worked his way through college there.  I saw a sign recently that read, "You didn't come all the way to Savannah to eat seafood imported from Asia, did you?"  No restaurant was mentioned n this ad.  Local seafood from the area from Savannah to Brunswick is awesome.  There really isn't any problem with eating frozen seafood, but I have trouble with the imported across the world stuff.  Local is better tastewise and for the economy.  That said, I have to agree that the Crab Shack is a fun place, but if I were looking for great or even good seafood, I'd go elsewhere.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8332
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/10 15:20:55 (permalink)
    I would die for decent crab here in Wisconsin.I am sure whatever I do get if I dare to order it, is from galaxys far,far away...
    JDAStonewall
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/10 16:52:04 (permalink)
    So what are some of these better places to go that you guys are speaking of?
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/04/10 17:21:54 (permalink)
    Try Despositos.
    sellsfish
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/05/04 19:02:06 (permalink)
    None of the "Fry houses" use local product......I repeat NONE!!!  I use to wholesale from Amelia Island, to Wrightsville beach NC. I handled all the high end places. Imported crab is cheap, only a few dollars per can for lump, and about 14-15 for jumbo lump. domestic blue crab jumbo lump sells for $24. lb!! Ask for the chef and ask what brand of crabmeat.....I will bet it from US foods and is Bluestar brand. Good but an import from Indonesia! You have to go to the high end eateries to get any local grouper or snapper. If you do not spend $25 +, it is not local. There are NO local picking houses anymore. There are a few in Al., NC, MD,VA. Most of your local blue cab is shipped to DELMARVA, as they pay twice the amount per bushel as you can get local. If you want local and high quality, go to the Inn at Palmetto Bluff, The Lodge on Little St Simon, The Woodlands, The Sanctuary, .....you get my drift. There are many great places to get great seafood. I have been fighting for truth in menu laws for years, but the hospitality group is opposed to any change.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/05/04 21:54:14 (permalink)
    JDAStonewall

Not necessarily better but cheaper: MacEwee's Restaurant and Oyster Bar on Tybee.  Also try William’s and Love's close by.
    post edited by plb - 2009/05/04 22:27:34
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/05/04 22:02:36 (permalink)

Im  with the other poster-Who do you have to kill to get a crab dinner any place inland.  In Ohio any crab would have to be imported so I couldnt have any complaint on that end.  I was Hyped when we had a Joes Crab Shack open here!  What a bummer to only find snow, king and dungs!  I was dreaming of a blue crab feast with newspapers, mallets and the whole shebang!
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/05/06 08:17:31 (permalink)
    I totally agree with Sellsfish,Man speaks the truth.I grew up eating fresh from the boat seafood many years ago and now I don't step foot in any restaurant around here anymore.They shut down one of the last crab processing plants here years ago and that was the end of fresh picked crab.I am lucky to have many Friends who are Commercial Fishermen and I know what I am getting is Local and Fresh.
    juleebella
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/05/06 08:41:48 (permalink)
    plb

JDAStonewall

Not necessarily better but cheaper: MacEwee's Restaurant and Oyster Bar on Tybee.  Also try William’s and Love's close by.

Unfortunately, Williams' burned down a number of years ago and has not rebuilt.  It's a shame - that was our favorite place for seafood when visiting Tybee/Savannah.
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/05/06 10:16:09 (permalink)
    We had dinner last January at the Wassaw Sound Fish Company in Savannah.  Some of the best seafood we'd had ever!  It's in an old fast food place...Church's maybe, but the fish was wonderfully prepared.  They use fresh in season and otherwise frozen domestic  WE would highly recommend it. 
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/06/14 09:46:48 (permalink)
    The Crab Shack in St.Pete has great crabs.Grouper is also great.
    rrstein
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:The Crab Shack, Tybee Island-Imported Crab? 2009/08/06 08:59:29 (permalink)
    If you are looking for the real deal on fresh blue crabs and local shrimp you need to go the the Sunbury Crab Company.  Uncle Joe catches the shrimp and one of the sons of the owner goes after the crabs daily.  Believe me they are FRESH! 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1