Hot!The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4193
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/22 09:38:32 (permalink)
Sadly, the only question for the remainder of the Rangers' season is wether or not they will end up with the best W-L record in Texas.  Presently they 'enjoy' a three game lead on the Astros.

And the only suspense is wether or not Jon Daniels will resist his seemingly annual pi$$ing away of prime prospects for a soon-to-be free agent pitcher:  I'd recount what he 'paid' for Koji Uehara, Cliff Lee, and Matt Garza (combined records for the Rangers: 9 - 13 & a single save) but the exercise would make me ill.

In the meantime, Joey Gallo has 6 HR in 12 games in AA with an OPS of 1.127. 

Maybe Daniels could get Bartolo Colon for him.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10384
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 08:10:50 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

MetroplexJim

And speaking of water seeking its own level, the Brewers ...
...just won 2 of 3 in Pittsburgh, are 10-3 against the Pirates so far this year,
If the Brewers were any good, they would have never lost those three games to the Pirates! 

harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1165
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 09:28:28 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

I'd recount what he 'paid' for Koji Uehara, Cliff Lee, and Matt Garza (combined records for the Rangers: 9 - 13 & a single save) but the exercise would make me ill.

Cliff Lee has been such an on-and-off hero to us up here (literally on and off, since he was acquired, left, then came back again) -- and now he's been on the DL since May 20. I guess the only thing to brag about this month is a sweep of the Padres and the Braves.  Our bright new hope is infielder Reid Brignac, and now he's on the DL, as are pitchers Mike Adams and Jeff Manship.

Sheesh! But go Phils!

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5141
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 09:42:14 (permalink)
harriet1954

Our bright new hope is infielder Reid Brignac,
Oh, my...28 years old already and the owner of a .224 career batting average.  If he's what the Phillies are promising their fans when they trade Chase Utley and/or Jimmy Rollins I won't fault you in the least should you decide to go ballistic.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 09:57:00 (permalink)
Instead of flags, I think we should have yellow cards now. :D
harriet1954
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 10:08:06 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

harriet1954

Our bright new hope is infielder Reid Brignac,
Oh, my...28 years old already and the owner of a .224 career batting average.  If he's what the Phillies are promising their fans when they trade Chase Utley and/or Jimmy Rollins I won't fault you in the least should you decide to go ballistic.

I don't "go ballistic", and Utley and Rollins aren't being traded. Trust me, Jimmy isn't going anywhere.
Go Phils!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 12:31:10 (permalink)
I finally went to a Twins game at their new Target Field, what, four years after its opening? Great ball park. We sat in the upper deck very top row at the right field wall line. I don't think there is a bad seat in the park, but yeah, we were about as far away as you could get. I was disappointed in the brat I had. It wasn't bad but it wasn't a brat in my opinion. I found out later if I had only walked a little further on the concourse I could have gotten a real brat from Kramarchuks.

cwdonald
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 13:50:39 (permalink)
Rollins and Utley both have no trade clauses, so it is unlikely they will go anywhere, unless they want to.

Reid has a little power, a decent glove. Hopefully he can provide some stability at the corner. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/23 18:55:49 (permalink)
cwdonald

Rollins and Utley both have no trade clauses, so it is unlikely they will go anywhere, unless they want to.

Reid has a little power, a decent glove. Hopefully he can provide some stability at the corner. 

I'm glad to see Howard almost all the way back from his Achilles.  Years ago, I was playing basketball when a team-mate suffered a complete tear.  It was the worst injury I ever heard or saw that didn't involve blood.  That has to still be in Howard's head.

BTW:  Welcome to Roadfood!!!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/06/23 18:57:26
harriet1954
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/06/24 08:58:09 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

I'm glad to see Howard almost all the way back from his Achilles.  Years ago, I was playing basketball when a team-mate suffered a complete tear.  It was the worst injury I ever heard or saw that didn't involve blood.  That has to still be in Howard's head.

BTW:  Welcome to Roadfood!!!

Jim, Achilles problem or no, Howard could never run! He's slimmed down a bit, which is nice, and he does seem to be in much better health than ever, but he needs to get back to his fantastic power-hitter days. He was absolutely amazing to watch at one time. I've also never seen anyone hold a bat like he does before the pitch is delivered. I don't know if anybody else does that.
I knew I was getting old when I read about Ibanez being released from the Angels the other day. I guess this is it for him. He was my favorite Phillie at one time, and I had the pleasure of speaking with him briefly at Phillies Photo Day in 2010. A nicer player would be kind of hard to find. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/01 09:41:36 (permalink)
As promised above I made the very short trip to neighboring Frisco to check out Joey Gallo - who, despite having just turned 20, leads organized baseball in homers.

I was expecting a long, flowing 'Josh Hamilton-type' swing.  Wrong.  He takes a short, violent stroke reminiscent of Bryce Harper.  And he just kills it; one of his two doubles was a liner so low that the first baseman jumped; it hit the wall so quick the right fielder looked frozen in his tracks.

He only had routine plays at third but did display a rifle arm.  And, he is very fast. 

Forecast:  a late July promotion to AAA and a September 'cup of coffee' in the Show.  I can see him in the 2015 Rangers outfield.

Update edit:  Gallo will be playing in the All-Star Futures game - Sunday, July 13, 17:00 EDT, on the MLB Channel.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/03 08:20:12
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/05 10:21:56 (permalink)
Congratulations to the Cubbies!  They just skimmed the cream of the A's farm system for two very mediocre pitchers: Samardzija & Hammels.  Just like last year when they snookered Texas for C.J. Edawrds, Justin Grimm, and Mike Olt for a few months of Matt Garza and his grotesque goatee.

Like Sports Illustrated I can see the 2017 Astros in the WS.  They'll be playing the Cubbies or the Marlins.

The Orioles have also made hay by getting Adam Jones and Chris Davis for pitching trash - shades of their stealing Frank Robinson in his prime for Milt Pappas.  Evidently the Cubs learned their lesson when they dealt Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio.  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/05 12:49:16 (permalink)
It's weird seeing Billy Beane making an "all in" move like that but the A's really are a good team...just under the radar for a large part of the country.  Samardzija and Hammel are both having career years so at their ages (29 & 31) it's quite possible they've finally become pitchers instead of throwers, and Beane's gambling that they'll continue the pace for the rest of the season.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/06 09:39:20 (permalink)
After one gets through economics 101, one of the first "advanced" lessons concerns Present Value and Future Value

That's why I, as an economist by trade, 'geeked out' when I read about Bobby Bonilla's contract. 

The Mets released him in January, 2000 with $5.9 million in guaranteed money remaining on his contract.  Rather than get an immediate check for $5.9 then, Bonilla's agent negotiated a deferred arrangement wherein Bonilla - beginning 07/01/2011 - would be paid $1.19 million/year for 25 years ending 07/01/2035.

Play with the formulas above and analyze who got the better deal - Bonilla or the Mets. 

(BTW:  there is no 'right answer'; however, this exercise in analysis may enhance your understanding of financial planning and decision-taking).

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/06 13:38:59 (permalink)
I mentioned above that I'll be checking out the "Futures All-Star" game 07/13 on MLB Network.  Here's a site that lists the rosters with links to all their stats.

My goodness, the Cubbies will be smiling soon with Bryant and Baez!  The folks on Waveland had better park their cars farther from Wrigley!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/09 09:52:12
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/09 10:28:34 (permalink)
Save for the grievously wounded Rangers (Fielder, Profar, Harrison, Holland, Perez, Soto, Moreland, Feliz, et al.) now fighting to be just the winningest team in Texas (only 1 game ahead of the 2017 World Champion Astros!), the season is going pretty much as I expected. 

(Maybe Nolan Ryan has 'Cursed' the Rangers like Bobby Layne 'Cursed' the Lions.  It doesn't pay to mess with Texans - especially when road leading to Rangers' Park is Nolan Ryan Expressway!)

Baltimore is pulling away, Detroit dominates, the Dodgers finally woke up, Washington will leave Atlanta in the dust when Matt Williams finally b!tch-slaps some sense into Harper, and the Bucs and Cards are in a dog-fight as Milwaukee implodes. 

I have a hunch that the Angels will end up on top of the AL West, but Oakland continues to confound and amaze.  They may be one of those 'destiny' teams like the '60 Bucs or the '69 Mets: far greater than the sum of their parts. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/10 08:37:25 (permalink)
JRPfeff
As the plane began its final descent, the gentleman sitting next to the young man asked him if he was a ballplayer. He asked because the young man had a odd tan-line from his wrist to his elbow. The young man responded that he had made his major league debut the previous night for the Rays, going 0-4, but making the defensive play of the game in center field. He was returning to join the Dur'm Bulls.

Since then, Kevin Kiermaier has become Tampa Bay's regular right fielder, hitting .304 with 4 homers in 24 games. More impressive to me are the multiple times he's been featured for outstanding defensive plays at MLB.com. This morning he hit the apex, making Sports Center's #1 play for Friday. Da da da. Da da da.

Now I wish I would've gotten his autograph.
Be thankful you didn't try to shake his hand...he might've torn it off!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/11 10:27:34 (permalink)
A century ago today - 07/11/1914 - The Boston Red Sox debuted their rookie left-handed pitcher, George Herman Ruth.

---------------------------------

For the past decade every time I get a new class I take their 'cultural temperature' and five them a 'test' where I ask them to identify 50 'famous names' - e.g., Franklin Roosevelt, Muhammad Ali, Eminem, Julius Caesar, Marilyn Monroe, Mick Jagger, Tom Cruise, Barak Obama, etc.

Believe it or not, the name "Babe Ruth" is identified correctly more than any other.  Even recently arrived Latinas know who he is! 

BTW: very few kids these days can identify Mick Jagger, Madonna, or John Lennon!

Anyone else "feeling old"?

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/14 10:43:46 (permalink)
I know that you all are probably as tired of my yapping about Joey Gallo as you were about my grousing about the Rangers trading Chris Davis four years ago.

But, the announcers at yesterday's Futures Game at Target Field kept going on about his BP that included him hitting one clear out of the stadium.  Then he did it during the game, hitting one beyond the stands and breaking a windshield on a truck!  (Didn't I say earlier that MLB parks aren't big enough)?

Here's little 20 y.o. Joey hitting a freaking 430' pop up a few miles down the road from me at the Rangers' AA team in Frisco, TX.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/14 13:40:23 (permalink)
He hit a Chevy pickup truck parked on the pedestrian plaza behind right field there for display promotional purposes. It was during the pre-game batting practice. He hit a longer one into the stands during the game. Normally a vehicle wouldn't be parked there. It was probably parked in that dark area in the lower right of this photo behind those right field stands. The building behind right field next to the pedestrian plaza is a 7 story parking garage. I parked there for 17 years when I worked downtown. If someone ever lifts one on that open upper deck it would be a feat for the records.

post edited by Davydd - 2014/07/14 13:41:40
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/15 06:07:10 (permalink)
MetroplexJim,
The Home Run Derby is about as exciting as -----------------------------Soccer????
Throwing batters powder-puff's is no challenge. Even I could crush one of those! 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/15 10:09:11 (permalink)
Gallo also hit a tape-measure dinger in the game; in fact, it proved to be the game-winner.

I agree about Home Run Derby.  I DVR'd it and went through the 3+ hours in about 20 minutes - same as I did with the last 'futbol' game in which the US team played. 

And, we got beat by a country that leads us only in wooden shoes, dikes, and marketing schemes for dope & hookers! 

The Netherlands beating us is one thing, but their beating frigging Brasil (where all boy babies have a futbol in their cribs)?!?!  That's like Ghana throwing a football team together and beating the Steelers; that only shows how ridiculous a 'sport' soccer is.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/23 12:05:52 (permalink)
Unfortunately, the 'out of it' teams have a powerful incentive to keep their prime prospects 'down on the farm' through the end of the season; keeping them there puts their free agency off for an additional year.  For that reason we won't be seeing the Cubs' Kris Bryant or the Rangers' Joey Gallo in the 2014 Show.

Kris Bryant looks ready right now; in fact he'd be batting clean-up for every other team in the NL Central!

Prediction for 2015 -  most improved teams:  Rangers and Cubs.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/23 12:10:19
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/24 00:40:42 (permalink)
Tony LaRooosa , New VP of Baseball Operations with the Dbacks, will be Cleaning House after the season, maybe sooner!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/07/24 12:41:49 (permalink)
The Rangers now lead both leagues in losses!

Who woulda' thunk that?

Good news, however: they got two stud pitching prospects for Soria.  Now, I hope they unload Rios for some more farm club replenishment, then calmly wait for next year.  In the meantime they should pitch Darvish on five days rest.

And, #1 draft choice coming!  Woo-Hoo!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6437
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/08/01 10:59:52 (permalink)
I must say that yesterday's trade deadline was an extremely exciting one.

12 Deals totaling 39 players and untold $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Tigers look like the big winners
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/08/01 11:22:41 (permalink)
The Red Sox were the big winners:  Cespedes, Craig, & Kelly for two 'rentals'. 

Genius!

And Lester will be the opening day starter for the 2015 BoSox.

The big joke on both the Tigers and the A's is that the O's will be in the WS this year;
they'll will be grabbing Burnett off waivers soon.  Amaro has a lot of trash to take out. 

I am so freaking happy that the Bucs and Rangers were quiet as church-mice, though the Rangers do need to get something for Rios.. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/08/08 10:30:32 (permalink)
Prediction:  the Brewers will be in third place in the NL Central no later than August 12.

Edit, early September:  O.K., so I missed the inevitable by a few weeks.  Go, BUCS!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/09/07 10:35:14
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/09/07 11:02:18 (permalink)
Looks like my preseason predictions about the Orioles/(the rest of the hurting AL East), Nats/Braves, Dodgers/Giants, Cards/Bucs (and Brewers), and Angels/A's are all coming true. 

To me, the biggest surprise is the KCRs.  How the Hell are they ahead of the freaking Tigers?  They are starting to remind me of my beloved 1960 Pirates.  Baseball is a team game and the KCR's are certainly playing as a team - perhaps a Team of Destiny.

Does Billy Beane work for the BoSox?  He traded the AL West away when he traded a 100 RBI bat and team leader away for a pitcher rental.  Is he insane?  When Cespedes isn't launching balls over the Green Monster, he's putting dents in it both with batted balls and his stocky body.  This trade is right down there with Chris Davis & Tommy Hunter for a Uehara rental.

And speaking of Crush Davis, here's a very bold prediction for a player presently hitting below the Mendoza Line:  a HUGE September and post-season

BTW, who was yelling at the O's to sign Nelson Cruz?  That worked out rather well. 

Edit:  Could anything else go wrong for the Rangers?  Ron Washington quits 'for personal reasons'.  WTF!?  I fully expect to wake up some morning to the news that the Rangers' charter flight was hijacked by terrorists.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/09/07 11:07:45
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Crack of the Bat, BASEBALL, 2014: Have Your Sons Focus on IT and Retire Early! 2014/09/14 10:22:42 (permalink)
Well, it seems that one of my predictions went South (and sour):  Chris "Crush" Davis will not be having a got streak this month and into the playoffs.  He'll be eligible for the ALCS and the O's will most definitely make it there, then we'll see.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1