The Curmudgeon And Primanti's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
2012/10/26 11:25:09 (permalink)

The Curmudgeon And Primanti's

OK, so for years I've been putting down the whole Primanti Brothers thing. I mean, c'mon. French fries and coleslaw on a sandwich? Are they nuts?

My feelings about Primanti's, never having been there, were cemented by an experience I had at a short-lived sandwich shop that opened here in Gahanna, Ohio several years back. I went in when it first opened and, looking at the menu board I saw pastrami sandwich listed. How could I resist? But then I watched as the guy behind the counter began making my sandwich. First off I saw him using some sort of white bread, and I was aghast. Pastrami on white? But then I watched as he started putting fries atop the pastrami. Was this guy out of his mind?. But then he went even further. He added slaw, and then some tomato. Well, I'd ordered the thing, but that didn't mean I'd have to eat it. I had him wrap the sandwich up to go, paid whatever it cost (it was a long time ago and I can't recall the price), and left with my "pastrami" sandwich. The first trash can I saw became the recipient of my whatever-it-was.

But on Thursday of this week lleechef got me into Primanti's on The Strip  in Pittsburgh to have lunch with my grandson. I admit that I wanted to go, but just to prove I was right and "they" were wrong Still, lleechef made me promise not complain about the sandwich all the way back to Gahanna.

Folks, Primanti's won. lleechef and I split a pastrami sandwich and It was absolutely marvelous. (My grandson had a double egg and cheese.) I can't wait to go back again, and next time I'll have a whole sandwich, and it'll be the double egg and pastrami. Heck, even the fries were delicious.

And after all these years of thinking Pittsburgers were nuts I apologize, and say from the bottom of my heart, they were right and I was an idiot.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/10/26 11:27:15

50 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10081
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 11:38:00 (permalink)
    Michael, I am so glad to see you have come around to our side!  Us Pittsburghers are indeed nuts, just not because of the Primanti's sandwiches. 

About two weeks ago, M and I were staying in town for the weekend and she had a Primanti's craving.  So, we headed down to Pittsburgh on a quiet Sunday afternoon.  She got here roast beef and was quite happy.  My go to sandwich is the capicola, which I order 98% of the time I am there.  But on this day, I was in the mood to try something different.  Instead, I got the hot sausage. 

As much as I love hot sausage (Pittsburgh is a great hot sausage town), it was bland and lifeless.  As a matter of fact, the only other sandwich besides the capicola that I have tried and liked is WJ's favorite, the kielbasa.  I will give the pastrami a try very soon. 

Before I left that day, I asked for a capicola and cheese to go and then had a "Ahhh, that's better moment" when I got home.

Michael, since you were open minded enough to try the Primanti's sandwich, may this could be your avenue to get lleechef to try a bologna sandwich at G & R Tavern(sorry Lisa!)
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/10/26 11:44:57
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 11:46:10 (permalink)
    If it works I'm nominating you for a Nobel.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6645
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 12:21:12 (permalink)
    OK you two.  I will go to G & R Tavern and take a bite of Michael's bologna sandwich to see if I like it or not.
    I was thrilled that Michael liked Primanti's!  Now we can go back!!  I always get the pastrami but next time I will try the capicola and cheese in honor of BB.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 12:24:31 (permalink)
    One Nobel Peace Prize nomination coming up!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 12:48:31 (permalink)
    Good news all around!  By the way, what does Michael's grandson think of Primanti's and Pittsburgh in general?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7678
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 13:07:44 (permalink)
    Lleechef and The Curmodgeon

It would be highly adviseable to perhaps order a kolbassi and cheese with the Cap and Cheese and split both

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 13:12:29 (permalink)
    I was shocked to see there are 11 different reviews for Primanti's.  Could this be the most of any restaurant officially reviewed here on Roadfood?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 13:47:33 (permalink)
    I loved prim anti's on my visit to pittsburgh bt both trudy and Sam opted for sandwiches without fries.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 14:04:50 (permalink)
    When I had lunch at the Cranberry Twp Primanti's yesterday, a couple of things struck me as odd.  First, the young lady asked if I had ever been to a Primanti's before.  I just kind of laughed, but maybe they feel the need to warm newbies ahead of time just what kind of sandwich they specialize in.  The second question was if I wanted everything on it.  I can promise you that you will NEVER get asked that question at the original Strip District location.    

BTW, I do take the tomato off the sandwich.  Not because of personal preference, but because of the acid reflux issue. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 14:10:03 (permalink)
    BB, my grandson had never been to the Primanti's in The Strip before, but he's been eating at one somewhere else -- I think near where he lives in Squirrel Hill -- since he got to Pittsburgh. Oh, and he loves Pittsburgh, but he still marvels at the size of a small order of fries at the Dirty O.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 14:12:39 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

It would be highly adviseable to perhaps order a kolbassi and cheese with the Cap and Cheese and split both

As there will certainly be many more visits to Primanti's I'll wait till after I get my double egg and pastrami to try the kielbasa and cheese. And, as I love kielbasa I'm looking forward to it.

easydoesit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 495
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 14:18:09 (permalink)
    In the past some months, lleechef has time and again demonstrated the power that an irrestible force can indeed exert against an immovable object.

Can we get her into Congress?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 14:25:25 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Oh, and he loves Pittsburgh, but he still marvels at the size of a small order of fries at the Dirty O.
    So glad that he likes it here.  And King Kong would marvel at the size of fries at the "O"!

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 16:04:16 (permalink)
    Glad to see you can admit to your mistake.

But dear god, why did you throw that other sandwich out. You wasted your money. Had you tried it one of 3 things would've happened. 1) you may have "Gotten" it. That's great. 2) You may have decided that it was fine but not for you. 3) You may have hated it. In any case, you money was either well spend on an enjoyable sandwich or spent finding out something that just doesn't work for you.

It's never a bad thing to step outside your comfort zone once in a while.

DT
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 16:12:42 (permalink)
    I tossed it because I was offended by it. The very idea of a pastrami sandwich not on rye with good mustard ... HORRORS
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 870
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 16:36:40 (permalink)
    Much as I respect buffetbuster's opinion, the capicola sandwich hasn't pleased me on any of the times I've had it. But a few months ago, I tried the Genoa salami sandwich and found it marvelous.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 17:04:44 (permalink)
    I won't eat any sandwich which requires me to disjoint my jaw in order to take a bite out of it. 
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/10/26 17:07:25
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 17:09:38 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Next time I will get the cap and cheese to eat there and a kolbassi and cheese to take home.  And there's no more splitting!!!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 17:15:11 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    BTW, I do take the tomato off the sandwich.  Not because of personal preference, but because of the acid reflux issue. 

Omeprazole is your friend.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 17:26:44 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

I won't eat any sandwich which requires me to disjoint my jaw in order to take a bite out of it. 

Oh, heck, neither will I. This sandwich doesn't require that. Honestly.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 19:49:34 (permalink)
    Did you have the fries on any of your sandwiches? Thats what freaks me out-dont like fries much.........
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3997
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 20:06:05 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

OK, so for years I've been putting down the whole Primanti Brothers thing ...

My feelings about Primanti's, never having been there ... 

And after all these years of thinking Pittsburgers were nuts I apologize, and say from the bottom of my heart, they were right and I was an idiot.

Wow!  I'm going to read this whole thread in the morning, but () I can't resist asking if we are soon going to see Mr. Hoffman start another thread that would begin something like this:

"OK, so for years I've been putting down the whole Primanti Brothers  Five Guys thing ...
    My feelings about Primanti's Five Guys, never having been there ...
     And after all these years of thinking Pittsburgers Five Guys Fans were nuts I apologize, and say from the bottom of my heart, they were right and I was an idiot".

-----------------------------

We only kid the ones we love. 
    Thank you, Michael, for all your contributions to this site! 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 20:11:54 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Did you have the fries on any of your sandwiches? Thats what freaks me out-dont like fries much.........

The fries come on all their sandwiches. By the way, I'm not a fan of fries, and even when I do eat some I want vinegar on them. But these were really good fries, and they were just right on the sandwich I ate..
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 20:17:12 (permalink)
    There will never be a day when I'd have anything nice to say about Five Guys, or any other place where they squeeze the good stuff out of their meat. As to your partial quote from my original post on this thread, you left out what was important: "...were cemented by an experience I had at a short-lived sandwich shop that opened here in Gahanna, Ohio several years back." The important part of that is the fact that this place made Primanti's style sandwiches -- the bread, the meat, the potatoes, the slaw and the tomatoes. That's why I said what I did about not wanting to go to Primanti's.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 21:05:11 (permalink)
    Ralph, I will have to try that Genoa salami.  That sounds rather good!
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/26 22:34:58 (permalink)
    When I lived in Bloomfield, I'd go to Primanti's maybe 4 days a week. I go to the Primanti's in Cranberry now since it's the closest one to me, and the suburban ones have some really good wings. I do hate how they ask if you've ever been there before. The city joints have a much better atmosphere though. Everyone has to go to the one in the Strip sometime but my favorite is the one down Southside. It's 1/2 restaurant, 1/2 blues bar (even sell cigars there). They put on the most meat I've noticed as well.

All of them are better with egg and a healthy amount of Red Devil, but my favorites by far are the pastrami or corned beef. Capicola, salami and kielbasa are good as well, and I agree with the hot sausage. The only brand I really like so far is Uncle Charley's extra hot. BB, I think you might become a pastrami convert!

To anyone who hasn't visited yet....Absolutely stay away from the cheesesteak (just a hamburger patty), and the Cajun chicken one.

In Beaver county, there are 2 bars that copy Primanti's that are very good too. Bowser's near the mall in Monaca which loads up on the meat, and the Back Door Tavern in Fallston. They make it into a hoagie, but their half is almost twice the size of Primanti's. Neither have as big of a meat selection though.

Sorry if I rambled too much, had a long day :(
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/27 10:11:24 (permalink)
    Everything at the Back Door Tavern is gargantuan.  Their fish sandwich is easily 3 times larger than Wholey's.
    I noticed the Red Devil on the table but didn't use it.  I will next time.
    gostillerz
    We stopped at Oram's for a doughnut and then wished we had bought a dozen to bring home!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/27 10:13:14 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

There will never be a day when I'd have anything nice to say about Five Guys, or any other place where they squeeze the good stuff out of their meat. As to your partial quote from my original post on this thread, you left out what was important: "...were cemented by an experience I had at a short-lived sandwich shop that opened here in Gahanna, Ohio several years back." The important part of that is the fact that this place made Primanti's style sandwiches -- the bread, the meat, the potatoes, the slaw and the tomatoes. That's why I said what I did about not wanting to go to Primanti's.

So, after all these years, may I continue to assume that you have yet even to try Five Guys
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Curmudgeon And Primanti's 2012/10/27 10:28:20 (permalink)
    Even though I am a native and generally love all things Pittsburgh I am one of those curmudgeons who asks for his friens "on the side" when I visit Primanti's..  Yes, I know that is a 'violation', but I am sitting in a restaurant eating, not gnashing at a 'meal between bread' while driving a truck.

As Pittsburgh joints go, I prefer the Dirty O.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1