The Dirty O to close

Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
2005/12/27 19:00:49 (permalink)

The Dirty O to close

The Original Hot Dog Shop, or "Dirty O" will be closing.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/tribpm/s_407842.html

26 Replies Related Threads

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2005/12/27 21:07:26 (permalink)
    I know that places come and go, but the closing of such an institution as the Original O's seems almost impossible. Their hot dog is quite good, but the real gem is their outstanding fries. They've been providing college kids with an inexpensive form of sustenance for decades.

Of course, it appears The O will still be open on the Carnegie Mellon campus and in Plum Borough, wherever that is.

But still, that the dirty landmark will close its doors must cause one to pause and reflect on just how temporary a deal all this really is.
    The Bear
    P.S.--If they decide in the 11th hour not to close, beloved nickname or not, I hope they clean the place.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7768
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2005/12/27 21:33:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Of course, it appears The O will still be open in Plum Borough, wherever that is.

I too am sad to hear of the passing of the O, I wonder how well the Applebees or TGIF's that replaces it will do

Plum Borough is an outer eastern suburb of Pittsburgh.
    ScreenBear
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2005/12/27 21:40:48 (permalink)
    Wandering,
    Maybe it'll be a nail salon.
    The Bear
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2005/12/27 22:32:19 (permalink)
    It's a shame to just close the business.
    There must be a location in the Pittsburgh area that's just screaming for a legendary hot dog place.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2005/12/28 03:59:28 (permalink)
    This is very sad news. My family stopped there in the summer of 2004 and loved the place. It is really sad that a pkace that has meant so much to so many will soon be gone.
    John Fox
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2005/12/28 06:19:45 (permalink)
    quote:

Wandering,
    The Bear

Or a CVS or Rite Aid. Like we need more of them. These drug stores have popped up all over the place in Jersey replacing such fine establishments as Eagan's hot dogs in North Arlington, Jahn's Ice Cream in Union, Clark Lanes in Clark, the Parsonage Diner in Edison, George's Hot Dogs in Elizabeth, and others.
    tater dickens
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/01/22 23:39:53 (permalink)
    Once again another gastronomic icon is closing to be replaced by the "umpteenth" yuppie bar or trendy restaurant. I'm happy to say that fortunately I visited the The "O" last year on a trip from California. Two dogs plus fries with gravy washed down with a root beer. One of the best atmospheres in a dog shop that I have experienced. I mourn the passing a great Pittsburgh institution.
    Kenny da Fat Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/21 19:40:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tater dickens

Once again another gastronomic icon is closing to be replaced by the "umpteenth" yuppie bar or trendy restaurant. I'm happy to say that fortunately I visited the The "O" last year on a trip from California. Two dogs plus fries with gravy washed down with a root beer. One of the best atmospheres in a dog shop that I have experienced. I mourn the passing a great Pittsburgh institution.

Fear not ye hotdog loving Pittsburghers!

There is a place that should fit the bill. Go to Yovi's on Liberty Ave., in Downtown Pittsburgh. I know it's sacreligious to blaspheme against the Original Hotdog Shop, but it wasn't my favorite. I can see if it held some nostalgia for you, or that's were you met your gal whilst attending Pitt, but to me the bad out-weighed the good; namely, you're taking your kid's life in your hands if you went there anytime other than a tuesday at noon (and that wasn't a sure fire bet either). Yes, the fries were outstanding and the dogs pretty good, but what's gone is gone.

Yovi's has ALSO been a Pittsburgh institution for 20 years. They make "chicago style" hotdogs, with all the trappings - the tomato, the hot pepper, the pickle, the celery salt, all on a fresh poppyseed hotdog bun. Plus, Yovi's dogs have something the O's never had - that kosher SNAP! Yes, the snap of an honest to gosh natural casing. AND, their fries are really good too.

IMHO, Yovi's got it ALL OVER the Dirty O. But as we know, one man's treasure is another man's trash. Try it, you may like it!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/21 20:15:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

quote:

Wandering,
    The Bear

Or a CVS or Rite Aid. Like we need more of them. These drug stores have popped up all over the place in Jersey replacing such fine establishments as Eagan's hot dogs in North Arlington, Jahn's Ice Cream in Union, Clark Lanes in Clark, the Parsonage Diner in Edison, George's Hot Dogs in Elizabeth, and others.
    CVS,no, but Walgreen's yes.I loathe Walgreens for what they've done to almost prime location in the Chicago area.And they're all the same!Sadly down in my other abode in historic Pawleys Island SC they bought out the Lachicotte buildings at N Causeway and they're going up there too,much to the dismay of many residents-right across the street from CVS.Here in Chicago the developers have bought my employers property for 10mil and we've been in the process of moving our 50,000 sq ft facility down next to the runways at O'Hare.They'll be building more condos,and probably a few more new banks and a Walgreen's on the property.
    John Fox
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/21 20:17:15 (permalink)
    Although I've never been there, I would suggest Hot Dogma, also in Pittsburgh. Located in the basement of a church, this place serves a grilled Boars Head all beef dog, which, in my opinion, is better than the O's dog, which was from Star Beef. What brand is served at Yovi's?
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/22 08:30:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Although I've never been there, I would suggest Hot Dogma, also in Pittsburgh. Located in the basement of a church, this place serves a grilled Boars Head all beef dog, which, in my opinion, is better than the O's dog, which was from Star Beef. What brand is served at Yovi's?

I saw a show on tv about this place. I wonder how it is doing now.They were on such a tight budget that is was up in the air if it was going to stay open. I thought it was clever how they used the Panini Grills to avoid using ventilation hoods.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/22 16:47:29 (permalink)
    Does Yovi's have fries like the Dirty O? That's what I liked about the place. Hot dogs were good but the fries were the draw. I'll miss the "O". BTW - does Isaly's still have any places open in PGH?
    John Fox
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/22 19:03:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ohman

quote:

I saw a show on tv about this place. I wonder how it is doing now.They were on such a tight budget that is was up in the air if it was going to stay open. I thought it was clever how they used the Panini Grills to avoid using ventilation hoods.

Due to the exposure from the show on Food Network, Hot Dogma is doing well. I hear from the owner every now and then. He is from Jersey, one town over from me. We had lunch together in Dec. and he said if all goes well, they will be looking to expand.
    Kenny da Fat Man
    Hamburger
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/24 15:21:19 (permalink)
    Hey Guys...Is there some reason we Pittsburghers don't meet and eat? And that is definately NOT a double endentre!

1. Isaly's - Perrysville Ave in West View. Besides the chipped ham, they make a sandwich called "The Bomber"; fried baloney & onions w/ cucumber sauce on a homemade roll, Not for the diet crowd.

2. I think Yovi's uses Hebrew National - whatever the brand, it's a mighty tasty dog. I think if you try Yovi's you'll like it.

3. I think Yovi's fries are great...Not shoestrings like the O had, but a bit thicker w/ skins on - sort of like Potato Patch's.

4. I went to Hot Dogma...wasn't overly excited, it was just O.K. Great Name, o.k. dogs. I hope they make it....

5. Nobody really rebutted my assessment of the Dirty O's "astmosphere". The Oakland location was really not the greatest. They had a location on Carson Street that was much more family friendly, but it went under for some reason.

6. I might as well mention this too: there is a pretty good little hotdog shop in McCandless, on Perry Highway called New York Hotdog. it's been there for 20+ years, so they must be doing something right. Sorry, can't tell you the brand, etc, but they are pretty good.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/24 17:27:40 (permalink)
    Thanks, Kenny. I miss the Isaly's but wanted to find out when I make it to the area. you're right about the Dirty O atmosphere, but that was part of the deal. I took my "Southern Belle" spouse there last summer on a week night about 7:00 and we had a treat watching the people. She was amazed at the characters.
    ScreenBear
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/24 20:46:34 (permalink)
    Kenny,
    If Yovi's imports EVERYTHING from Chicago, why wouldn't he use the Vienna Beef, which, by the way, while all beef, is not kosher?

The only "major" brands that are kosher are Hebrew National and Best's Kosher, out of Chicago.
    The Bear
    P.S.---Been to the Pickle Barrel lately?
    Kenny da Fat Man
    Hamburger
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/25 17:27:03 (permalink)
    quote:

Kenny,
    If Yovi's imports EVERYTHING from Chicago, why wouldn't he use the Vienna Beef, which, by the way, while all beef, is not kosher?

The only "major" brands that are kosher are Hebrew National and Best's Kosher, out of Chicago.
    The Bear
    P.S.---Been to the Pickle Barrel lately?

Hi Bear...You're misqouting me man. I didn't say Yovi's imports EVERYTING from Chicago; I don't know if he imports ANYTHING from Chicago.

I said they are Chicago Style. To me, Chicago Style means a "natural skin on" all beef hotdog served in a steamed poppy seed bun, with mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, kosher pickle spear, sport peppers with a dash of celery salt. All I can tell you is, IT IS GOOD!

Just keepin' it real.

BTW...Haven't been to the Pickle Barrel for a while, but swing by the 'Burg and we'll go there for lunch, my treat.

Kenny DFM
    ScreenBear
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/25 19:29:57 (permalink)
    Kenny,
    I could have things mixed up, but I thought that when Yovi's opened up, all the publicity surrounding it was that he was shipping everything in from the Windy City. I could have two different stories confused. I tried to call them, but the number online is disconnected. Gosh, you'd think they'd have a phone.
    The Bear
    P.S.----2nd round of dogs are on me.
    Kenny da Fat Man
    Hamburger
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/02/26 09:26:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Kenny,
    I could have things mixed up, but I thought that when Yovi's opened up, all the publicity surrounding it was that he was shipping everything in from the Windy City. I could have two different stories confused. I tried to call them, but the number online is disconnected. Gosh, you'd think they'd have a phone.
    The Bear
    P.S.----2nd round of dogs are on me.

Bear, you're crackin' me up man! You tried to call them?? You ARE a man with a passion!

As far as Yovi's goes, are we talking about the same place? I can't remember when they actually opened, but they have been there for many, many years...Probably 25 years. I can remember going in there as a kid. AND it's a hole in the wall, so I can't believe it garnered much attention when it opened. But it seems if anyone would pay attention, it would be a frankfurter fanatic...Namely you!

Kenny DFM
    jessviajar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/03/08 20:46:11 (permalink)
    Hi! Can someone give me the scoop on whether or not the Dirty O is closed or when it will close? I was planning a trip to Pittsburgh on Sunday and had planned to go... but after seeing this post and trying to Google the other locations (and finding nothing), I might have to call it off. Any info would be REALLY appreciated!
    Thanks!
    ScreenBear
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/03/09 10:03:23 (permalink)
    The Original Hot Dog Shop, Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, will remain open until it is sold, according to an employee at the Plum Township (Pa) store.

Pilgrimages are in order. Call 412 621-7388 (Forbes Ave.) to confirm.
    The Bear
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/03/09 11:35:37 (permalink)
    Ever since I first heard about this sad story, I having been taking friends and relatives who have never been to the "O", down to the Oakland location. Just two weeks ago, I took my brother. Can you imagine living in the Pittsburgh area for almost 50 years and never chowing down at the "O"? The dogs and fries were just as good and the bathroom was just as scary as they always have been. I sincerely hope a way is found to keep this Pittsburgh institution going.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/03/09 11:56:46 (permalink)

The Simon family only has themselves to blame for this decision. They haven't put a penny into renovating the insides of the place. The tables "rock", many of the chairs are broken, and the floor is "sticky" due to decades of grease and spilt beer. How hard is it to clean the floor even on a weekly basis?

Hot dogs now start at $3.09 and go up from there. In addition, they charge an additional 10% after 11pm "for security" which consists of a minimum wage non-armed security person.

I still love their fries, but many friends don't want to support a business that hasn't invested in their building and fixtures in years. Greed is not always good.
    bcory
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2006/03/09 12:03:26 (permalink)
    reviewed here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=106&RefID=106
    KenKenobi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2010/06/17 11:01:43 (permalink)
    John Fox

[id=quote size=1 font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by ScreenBear

Wandering,
    The Bear

About a month before it closed in 1997, I was at Jahn's, where my wife and I had our first date.  It was the day I graduated law school.  It was the day I proposed to her.

You don't do that at Friday's or Applebees.

You cannot manufacture charm or "vibe" see "American Idol" for an example.

We are slowly creeping toward generic fun, antiseptic food choices and a bland existence if we don't pay attention.

Ken

P.S.  Give me a menu, recipies and the backing and I'd open an NJ Jahn's myself.  Miss you Dottie ! :(

Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: The Dirty O to close 2010/07/24 16:36:10 (permalink)
    I'm glad to see that someone bumped this ancient thread so I can report that the Oakland Original is still open with no immediate plans for closing. Like everything else, it will depart someday, perhaps not too far in the future. Every time i have been there lately, there have been more folks at both Five Guys or Panera, both close by.

But another Pittsburgh iconic hot dog joint is in trouble: Original Station Street Dogs, which much to everyone's surprise reopened several years ago after having been shuttered for a couple of decades. Now the hours have been cut to 11-3 Monday through Saturday and the place is for sale or lease. It's too bad the owners can't hang on for another year, because things should pick up when the adjacent construction site becomes a shiny new Target.  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1