Empire

We plan on hitting Patsy's and Ray's

Any others we should try?

Tony

15 Replies Related Threads

the acting man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/08/31 12:44:03 (permalink)
    LOL @ Ray's...which one?

Even better than John's of Bleeker Street is Joe's, which is also on Bleeker, staring right into Washington Square Park, almost across the street from John's. It is probably one of the better pies in Manhattan, and is just this little stop that's easily missed (you'll know it because it is popular, though).

Despite the cheesy name and the fact that they're trying to franchise the place with an added Italian cuisine menu to boot, Goodfella's on Hyland (??) in Staten Island boasts national taste awards, and for good reason. If the boss is there, pick his brain, because he's one of those guys who seems to always want to make something new and better. I don't go to Staten Island often, but when I do, if I'm in the area, I'll go there, and take friends.

There's a place on the eastern side of Broadway around 110-112th St. near Columbia. HUGE slices. Cheap. Pretty good. Seemed like a hole in the wall when I first went.

Get to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and head to the western exit. Amongst the stench of vagrants and shrewd characters rests a place lovingly coined "Dollar Pizza." The sign says .99 cent pizza, but, who cares. It's pretty good stuff for the price. You can't go wrong.

Then go to Di Fara's again. Just because it's the best in the city...
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/08/31 13:07:32 (permalink)
    I recommend:
    New Pizza Town on 84th and Broadway
    Frank's on 22nd and 1st
    Luigi's on 88th and 1st
    Sal's on Court Street in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn

All standard Neopolitan slices (not brick oven)
    buenosds
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/08/31 13:42:41 (permalink)
    freddie and pepes broadway and the w 70's, i think...
    also w69 st @ columbus, jeez i can't remeber the name though.
    there is also a place on bway at 73 st., maybe called arthurs? jeez, i must be getting old! different cheese taste there makes it stand out!
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/08/31 14:14:21 (permalink)
    L&B Spumoni Garden for Sicilian
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/01 17:29:30 (permalink)
    the acting man Posted - 08/31/2007 : 12:44:03
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LOL @ Ray's...which one?

We may have to make this trip just Patsy's and all the different Ray's...

We were at Difara's and were not that impressed. Besides the fact we waited 1.5 hours in line for it and they could not have hustle or cared any less. It was decent but no Lombardis' (who took ten minutes after a 5 minute wait to be seated and was the best pizza we ever had). I really wanted to like Difara's as an Eatingteam member is from Brooklyn and told us to go there. When service is that bad it is very hard to stay objective about it. We ran into the same problem with Taconelli's in Philadelphia. We tried there twice and both times no less than three hours to get our food...

Tony
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/02 21:12:55 (permalink)
    L&B Spumoni Gardens in brooklyn for squares (and old school spumoni).
    New Park in Queens- ask for a well done pie.
    Patsy's Uptown- nice classic pie. understated.
    Joe and Pat's- Staten Island- nice
    Denino's- Staten Island- old school tavern
    Sac's- Queens- squares
    Rizzo's- LIC- squares.

then get it together and get in the car and go to New Haven and check out Sally's and Pepe's and Modern and you will get to the next level... enjoy - fb
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2392
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/02 22:46:26 (permalink)
    Check out adrienne's pizzabar on Stone Street in the Financial District. Bleecker Street Pizza on the Corner of Bleecker Street and 7th Ave Soutb has a really good "Grandma" slice. Twin's Pizza in Astoria (or Long Island City) makes wicked Sicilian slices. I thought the Ray's on Prince Street made some good pizza.
    the acting man
    Hamburger
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/14 03:37:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by eatingteam
    We were at Difara's and were not that impressed. Besides the fact we waited 1.5 hours in line for it and they could not have hustle or cared any less. It was decent but no Lombardis' (who took ten minutes after a 5 minute wait to be seated and was the best pizza we ever had). I really wanted to like Difara's as an Eatingteam member is from Brooklyn and told us to go there. When service is that bad it is very hard to stay objective about it. We ran into the same problem with Taconelli's in Philadelphia. We tried there twice and both times no less than three hours to get our food...

Completely understandable...

I just took two friends to Di Fara's tonight for their first time, and it took us more than an hour and a half to get our pie with half sausage (with the topping making it, what we thought, unique enough to send through without being compromised for their "efficiency" quip that they have posted on the wall). The one guy liked it better than Lombardi's, like myself (I'm not a big fan of them, to be honest, but I'll try them again, I'm sure), despite the wait. The other, not so. It is just tough to give it a fair go when the wait is that long, and I felt it tonight. The sausage wasn't great (rather bland), and I must say, after finally getting a plain slice, that the square is much better (even if it does take longer to make). The woman would correct Dom to get him to keep to the order queue, but he couldn't/wouldn't.

They are inefficient, despite my love for them. To be fair, though, and this is the second time I've been there, the crowd who just want slices are some of the nastiest bunch of people I've run into in *ANY* pizza joint. The wait makes them worse, it seems. No mind to who's in line. No attention to those waiting on whole plain pies. They complain. They shove. No apologies. Every man for himself. Little kids, who aren't naturally wont for their patience, are a real doozie if they're not of a pleasant demeanor. I can see why they try to get "slice pies" out like they do, despite order placement...just feed 'em and get out!

But even if the disorder pissed off thousands of customers to the point of a no-return, New York is a city of millions...and they love pizza...

I'm hoping to try New Park this weekend.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/14 04:47:38 (permalink)
    Isn't anyone hitting those fantastic places in the Bronx? Like Full Moon on Arthur Avenue in the "real" Little Italy (get the whole pizza; the slices don't sit as well), or those places in Pelham, like Lou's, I believe?
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/15 08:54:47 (permalink)
    Let me know the names of the places in the Bronx and we will put it in one of our tours this year...

Tony
    the acting man
    Hamburger
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/19 15:08:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

Isn't anyone hitting those fantastic places in the Bronx? Like Full Moon on Arthur Avenue in the "real" Little Italy (get the whole pizza; the slices don't sit as well), or those places in Pelham, like Lou's, I believe?

Nothing against them, but I don't get outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn because of work. I've been meaning to visit, though.

As for New Park...their "trick" is the sauce, which is sweet and, dare I say it, jelly-like? It's unique, to say the least. I can't say I loved it, but it wasn't all that memorable, either. Pass on the square slices. I can't say I'd venture out to that part of Queens just on the whim of getting pizza, but it's quaint, so it's not like the worst place one could be.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/19 15:34:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the acting man

quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

Nothing against them, but I don't get outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn because of work. I've been meaning to visit, though.

As for New Park...their "trick" is the sauce, which is sweet and, dare I say it, jelly-like? It's unique, to say the least. I can't say I loved it, but it wasn't all that memorable, either. Pass on the square slices. I can't say I'd venture out to that part of Queens just on the whim of getting pizza, but it's quaint, so it's not like the worst place one could be.

If ever in the Bronx you must stop at Nicks on E.Gun Hill Road(catch the Dyre ave bound 5 train). Slices and sicilian are terrific. Also serve great Calzones, heros, and mozorella beef patties. Trust me very well worth the trip!!!
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/19 16:03:28 (permalink)
    Joe and Pats on Victory blvd in Staten Island!! Awesome super thin crust pizza.

Lombardis

Johns on bleeker

Star tavern in Orange N.J. makes a nice bar style pizza Super thin as well
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/09/19 16:21:47 (permalink)
    Take a ride out to Port Jefferson Long Island and enjoy a real coal oven pizza at "The Pie" right on Main.
    Or hit Salvatore's on Shore Road in Port Washington, also a coal fired oven and great pie as well.
    K00ky
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: The Eatingteam is looking for NY pizza 2007/10/02 21:19:01 (permalink)
    Margherita pizza on jamaica ave- Good pizza, if you dont mind it greasy, Always packed when i get there
    Gabys pizza on hillside, Was on rachel ray and won against chicago pizza in some contest
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1