The Fall Roadfood Tour

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 120 of 120
buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
  • Reward points : 0
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Mon, 10/14/13 1:19 PM
joseiw-
I was recently in Wichita and enjoyed a few of the restaurants you reviewed.  Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Big_g
  • Total Posts : 333
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Mon, 10/14/13 2:42 PM
I'm driving in from East TN and hope to be there around 4ish...would enjoy hooking up with folks on Thursday for a dinner and some talk.

ChiBears15
  • Total Posts : 68
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Mon, 10/14/13 7:33 PM
Good evening everyone,

Ok, I just found out that Rendezvous serves Ghost River beer on tap.  Lol the ribs and beer I have wanted to try forever can be found at Rendezvous!  If most of the tour participants are staying downtown, this would be the perfect dinner destination since it is centrally located.  Folks can walk or take a quick cab ride.

I am arriving in Memphis around 11am Thursday, so anytime in the evening works for me.  Does 8:00pm work?  Like I said, I can go anytime.  Maybe buffetbuster can make an executive decision on dinner time  ?  Thanks.

-Danny

P.S.  First round of beers for everyone is on me!!!

joseiw
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Mon, 10/14/13 11:08 PM
That's great.  I would love to hear what you thought.  Looking forward to seeing you on the trip.
Joe

joseiw
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Mon, 10/14/13 11:10 PM
Is there a demand for Rendezvous at 8 pm?  I am flexible as to time and place. 

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2625
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 7:59 AM
buffetbuster, cousin Johnny and myself will meet at the Rendezvous at 8pm or slightly after on Thursday as we return from Mississippi.  Chris and Amy will also join us as they arrive later that evening.  They have larger tables and it looks like our group is growing! First person in, please plan accordingly!  Safe travels everyone! 

Big_g
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 9:59 AM
I'll plan on being there as well.

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 2:31 PM
Looks like we're approaching 8...keep it coming! 

ChiBears15
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 7:58 PM
Hey everyone,
I am thrilled that we are getting together Thursday night at Rendezvous.  I've been reading trip reports on this forum for a while now, so it will be fun to meet you guys in person.  Happy travels.  See you all in Memphis. 

Cheers,
Danny

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 9:01 PM
Hey CTD

You gonna try some slugburgers while you are in N MS??

They are good for you and they grow on you!

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 9:30 PM
CK-
We will be stopping in at White Trolley. Hopefully I will like the slugburger there better than the one from Borroum's Drug Store.

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 9:56 PM
I am merely along to provide balance and discretion to this group. 

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/15/13 10:09 PM
Week's Diner in Booneville, MS is the "True Home" of the slug burger.

The original was called a Week's burger

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/wweekss/

Or

Johnny's Drive INN in Tupelo, MS for a slugburger and sit in the ELVIS booth.

schlotz
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 9:05 AM
Count me in for Thursday night at Rendezvous! 

Looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

-Boyd

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 10:38 AM
Boyd, glad to see you will be on the bus tour and I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 11:09 AM
Please keep a spot open for me at Rendezvous.  Looking forward to it!

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 11:35 AM
Glad you are joining us Stephen!

TnTinCT
  • Total Posts : 442
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 11:48 AM
We'll be on the road and hoping to be able to join you all on Thurs night - 2 seats for Tim and Terri

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 6:05 PM
Looks like we are ar 12 and counting.....initial reports are strong with Alcenias an all out TEN! Just sat down at The Pie Folks in Germantown with Cliff and he is making me eat more pie! Ugh!

ChiBears15
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 6:37 PM
CTD,

I am going to Alcenia's tomorrow for lunch.  What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Danny

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 8:07 PM
Anyone going to the Womens Exchange for lunch be aware they have a busy Thursday so they recommend getting there 15 minutes before the 11:30am opening.

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 8:12 PM
First, tell Miss BJ the big Roadfood guys loved meeting her and the food was great! Pork chops were a tenand are onyour Thursday selection. We loved five of six sides with spagehtti being average. Your choices are black eyed peas, Alcenias corn, green beans, pinto beansand yams. We loved cabbage, mac n cheese, green beans, cole slaw and lima beans with okra. The catfish nuggets with homemade tartar sauce was great as was the fried green tomatoes. Save room for pie or bread pudding with bourbon sauce.

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 8:18 PM
And be prepared for a big hug from BJ when you walk in the door!

ChiBears15
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 8:59 PM
CTD - Thanks for the quick rundown.  All those options sound delicious.  If you and buffetbuster, considering you have traveled and have eaten all over the country, give this place a ten then it must be a great restaurant.  I will definitely mention you guys when I eat there.

BB - Miss BJ sounds like a sweetheart.  Can't wait to meet her!

See you all at Rendezvous tomorrow night.

-Danny

Big_g
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 9:09 PM
Some one gave me a touch of a cough...think Sea Lion...but I'm on drugs and should be good to go.  See y'all tomorrow night =)

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 10:53 PM
I tried to call and make a reservation for 12 tomorrow night at the Rendezvous, but they said they only take them for parties of 15 or more during the week. But, she also told me to call back tomorrow between 9 and 4 and they will see what they can do.

If they do take the reservation, I will post it here, along with the name it is under.

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/16/13 11:32 PM
buffetbuster

I tried to call and make a reservation for 12 tomorrow night at the Rendezvous, but they said they only take them for parties of 15 or more during the week. But, she also told me to call back tomorrow between 9 and 4 and they will see what they can do.

If they do take the reservation, I will post it here, along with the name it is under.

UMMMM HELLOOOOOO  there will be two of you that will eat for 3 or 4 normal humans

So reserve for 15

joseiw
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 12:08 AM
Kerry and Joe will plan on 8 at Rendezvous, assuming no problems on the drive.
Joe

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 1:33 PM
Nope, they wouldn't take a reservation, even for 13 people. First ons ghere, grab us a table and we will find you. See everyone tonight!

ChiBears15
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 5:32 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just had the most amazing dining experience at Alcenia's Soul Food.  Fried catfish, collard greens, mac n cheese, and yams...  Simply awesome!

Collard greens and mac n cheese are not even on the menu for Thursdays, but she had them today anyway!  I am feeling lucky.  My only mistake was not leaving room for dessert.  I was just too full to order any pie or pudding, and I hate wasting food so I passed.  Regardless, the food was excellent (a perfect ten) and the owner is a sweet, entertaining host.  I told her that the roadfood guys say hi and she said to thank you. 

I went to the Arcade Restaurant this morning for breakfast and had a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (aka the Elvis sandwich).  It was surprisingly very tasty.  It also helped that my waitress was drop dead gorgeous haha

See you guys in a couple of hours for ribs.  I have pics from both the eateries I visited today; I will post them as a trip report when the roadfood bus tour ends.

Cheers,
Danny   

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 5:41 PM
We had a great day in Mississippi today, specifically Corinth. After a fair breakfast at the Blue Plate, we hit Corinth running. Breakfast at Abes, very colorful, Slug burger comparison test at White Trolley Cafe, I could go a lifetime before having another, tamales at Dillowrths Tamales, a Great peach malt and pimento sandwich at Borroums Drug Store, a must stop, a $5.50 lunch plate that could have fed 3 people with ham and dumplings and 3 veggies and cornbread and a final stop at Phillips Grocery in Holly Spings for a burger and some okra....nap time!

Big_g
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 5:43 PM
Made it to the Hotel =)
If you see a tall, heavy bald guy wandering around...its probably me.
See y'all tonight

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 5:44 PM
Dinner looks to be at 15 now.

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 5:56 PM
ChiBears15

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just had the most amazing dining experience at Alcenia's Soul Food.  Fried catfish, collard greens, mac n cheese, and yams...  Simply awesome!

Collard greens and mac n cheese are not even on the menu for Thursdays, but she had them today anyway!  I am feeling lucky.  My only mistake was not leaving room for dessert.  I was just too full to order any pie or pudding, and I hate wasting food so I passed.  Regardless, the food was excellent (a perfect ten) and the owner is a sweet, entertaining host.  I told her that the roadfood guys say hi and she said to thank you. 

I went to the Arcade Restaurant this morning for breakfast and had a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (aka the Elvis sandwich).  It was surprisingly very tasty.  It also helped that my waitress was drop dead gorgeous haha

See you guys in a couple of hours for ribs.  I have pics from both the eateries I visited today; I will post them as a trip report when the roadfood bus tour ends.

Cheers,
Danny   

Danny

You are SOOOOOOOO in trouble, if you are going TRY and keep up with Chi Town Diner and Buffetbuster.  PIE is a MUST.

Stretch that stomach, gorge yourself, you only live once! 

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 5:59 PM
Oh come on Greg !!!!!

no more slugburgers the rest of your life????

Your day sounds like a great start to a wonderful weekend.

Enjoy yourself and EAT EAT EAT!!!

ChiBears15
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 6:53 PM
CajunKing,

Thanks, now I feel ashamed of myself for passing on delicious dessert options at Alcenia's lol.  I will work on stretching my stomach so that pie will be able to follow every meal

Are you not coming with us on the bus tour?!  I wanted to meet you to say thanks for the awesome trip reports you put together on this site.  They provide entertainment for viewers like me yet you receive no compensation whatsoever.  Maybe sometime in the future.

Danny

P.S. T-Minus 2 hours and counting until the Rendezvous visit... hehe   

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 7:28 PM
Looks. like dinner is up to 17 if arrive safely.

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 7:34 PM
Looks. like dinner is up to 17 if arrive safely.

TnTinCT
  • Total Posts : 442
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/17/13 8:44 PM
Still traveling, won't make it tonight but see you all in the morning!

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Fri, 10/18/13 7:41 PM
Fourteen of us convened on the Rendezvous for a nice meet and greet dinner on Thursday evening.  The place was rocking and we were finally seated after about 45 minutes wait at 8:45pm.  An enjoyable dinner and some catching up with old friends while meeting and getting to know new friends.

Friday started with a pre-dawn raid on Bryant's Breakfast, a 5:30am opening popular breakfast spot.  We indulged in eggs, biscuit sandwiches of every variety, cinnamon rolls and someone even slipped in some pie. 

The bus loaded up at 9:30am and we pulled out for the long 5 minute drive to Gus's Fried Chicken.  The staff was gracious enough to open an hour early as the lines pre-opening would have precluded us from stopping here.  The chicken was among the best I've had anywhere!  From there, a short 15 minute ride to Desiree Robinson's Cozy Corner and some fantastic bbq in a day that would be filled with three top contenders.  Here we had bbq pork, ribs, Cornish hen, sausage, bologna and plenty of bbq spaghetti.  It was amazing and great to see her 4 generations of family working together.

Next up, a quick change of pace as we visited the Cupboard.  Most folks opted for the 4 veggie plate and our two had mac n cheese, buttered squash, eggplant casserole and collard greens on the first and mac n cheese, fired okra, corn pudding and green beans on the second.  We finished off with banana pudding, apple cobbler and their famous lemon ice box pie.  Ahead of schedule, a quick audible took us to Nancypalooza's recommended Muddy's Bake Shop for pie, bars and a great lemon iced strawberry cake....so good!

BBQ double header time - first stop, the Germantown Commissary for bbq everything - pork shoulder, ribs, shrimp, sausage, deviled eggs and of course, banana pudding - which I felt was my best ever!  Finally, Central BBQ for a bbq sampler compliments of Roadfood that began with house made chips, pulled chicken nachos, and finally a plate for each with a dry rub wing, a bbq glazed wing, a couple of ribs and a pulled pork slider.  Whew! 

Many choose to walk the mile or so back as we had a picture perfect 72 degrees and sunny skies.  Most are taking a break or a short nap before formulating dinner plans.  A great day! 

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Fri, 10/18/13 9:15 PM
You have room for Dinner??

I do miss being there.  Sounds like you all had a wonderful day.  Food - Friends and Weather wise.

Stephen - Good job on the planning

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Fri, 10/18/13 11:23 PM
A small but hardy group convened for dinner at Automatic Slim's Tonga Club where the predominate selections were of the nautical variety...shrimp 'n grits, catfish, roasted oysters, redfish...and one big ass steak!  A Roadfood first...6 diners, NO desserts!  Also helped that only one dessert choice remained available!

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Sat, 10/19/13 8:46 PM
Small???  you are talking about you BB CJ and others right???

Did anyone have an Elvis??  Sounds good on the menu.

Gotta love a big ass steak and shrimp & grits

What was the dessert?  Their website doesnt list ANY desserts
although the Bananananas Foster sounded good

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Sat, 10/19/13 9:57 PM
About Time !!

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Sat, 10/19/13 10:42 PM
Whew...today was a pie half day and a meat half day!  We started the day departing Memphis at 8am for the 90 minute ride to DeValls Bluff Arkansas.  A small town with few buildings, we pulled up to a small (as in 3 people can be inside) pie shop on a country rode.  The specialty is fried pies and there were nine flavors available, so we tried 'em all.  Plus we picked up a slice of chocolate cream and coconut cream.  The most unique fried pie was woodpecker, which as told to us is a favorite of hunters and has chocolate, cherries and marshmallow inside.  Really good!  Next, up the country road about 3 minutes and we approach cautiously The Family Pie Shop.  Ms. Mary was really open yet but we got in and after telling us she had no pie, we managed to rustle up 30 slices of custard, chocolate cream, coconut cream and sweet potato pie.  These we took to go and enjoyed on the bus.

We continued westward to Benton Arkansas home of Ed & Kay's.  We had our dining room, great servers and lots of pie and veggies.  We needed the sugar break so we started with cheese dip and followed with veggies - purple hulled beans, mac salad, garbanzo bean salad, greens, squash casserole and a few more.  And then came the pie...direct from their own pie room display case.  While we tried peanut butter, lemon meringue, coconut cream and apple, the hit was the French raisin!  Outstanding!

Time for meat and our next stop redefined a platter.  Stubby's in Little Rock had a 5lb. meat sampler that we shared with 6 folks!!!  It had everything from ribs to pork to chicken to ham, but the best in America award goes to there beans!  BBQ style and loaded with meat scraps and pieces, they were amazing!  Ten minutes later and we're welcomed to McCLards BBQ for gigantic beef ribs and tamale pie that was 6 inches high!  This place was hopping and folks just hover around a table that looks like it's finishing and then swoop on in!  Great food and lots of fun!

The day finishes with a classic steak dinner at Doe's Eat Place.  They rolled out the red carpet for us as well as all their specialties.  While a very limited menu, we got it all beginning with great tamales with a beautiful chili sauce.  This was followed by grilled shrimp heavily seasoned and served in drawn butter and the lightest battered fried shrimp on the planet.  A refreshing house salad and it was time for the main event.  Three inch high T-Bones the size of the platter were served up and down the table.  There were also matching sirloins and huge pieces of grilled salmon.  The sheer volume was daunting but we held our own! 

A great trip, outstanding food and a really nice group of Roadfooders!  Thanks to Michael, Jane and Stephen for organizing one of the all time best!  Next year, the 10th anniversary trip...gonna be a biggie!!!

If you were on the trip, please feel free to add your observations and comments.

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Sat, 10/19/13 10:53 PM
OK now I am REALLY sad, that I didnt get to make this trip, I will have to start saving pennies for the 10th.

Greg - Sounds like a great day of food and PIE.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Sun, 10/20/13 11:08 AM
CTD
Thanks for the trip reports!  Sounds like a good time was had by all and glad to hear no one starved to death.  Wish we could've made it.....maybe next year!

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Mon, 10/21/13 7:39 AM
A big thanks to ChiTownDiner for diligently writing a report everyday about our adventures.  This was easily the best eating Roadfood bus tour yet and frankly, it will be difficult to top.  Lots of pie and barbecue, which is my kind of trip!  And you couldn't ask for a better group of people to travel around and eat with.

ChiBears15 is planning on writing a trip report and I, along with others will be adding some photos and commentary as we go.

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Mon, 10/21/13 7:50 AM
Okay, I can't help but posting a photo now.....

So what separates the professional eater from the recreational eater?  The ability to adapt under difficult circumstances.  Here is Michael Stern

getting the perfect photo of fried pies at the newly reviewed Ms. Lena's. This is despite having his expensive camera lens break the day before and the unwillingness to set his fork down, so he can get to the pies that much quicker! 

ChiBears15
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/22/13 9:26 PM
Cliff and Boyd,

I received your private messages, but the website will not allow me to reply back to you because I have not yet been a Roadfood.com member for 15 days.  Lol I guess they are worried about spammers signing up on this site. 

It was a real pleasure to meet you two and everyone else during last weekend's outing in Memphis/Arkansas.  It was the perfect combination of great people and delicious food.  Please please please keep in touch.  If any of you are ever in the Chicago area (even if it is a brief trip), contact me and maybe we can find time to grab a meal. 

Cliff, as for a trip report, feel free to start one on your own.  I will add my photos (most likely starting this weekend) to your report as you go along.  Thanks again for giving me a ride to the airport and buying my lunch (or was that dinner? lol ) Sunday night. 

Cheers,
Danny Nowak

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/22/13 9:39 PM
ChiBears15,
You do know there's a whole group of Chicago and Milwaukee Roadfooders who get together on a semi-regular basis, don't you?  We're known as The Contingent, and both ChiTownDiner and buffetbuster are members (Pittsburghers and other out of towners earn "honorary" status by attending at least one of our outings).  We just did two tours in the last month, one of which coincided with the Memphis tour.

Keep your eye on the "Eat and Greet" forum for information on future tours.  We'd love to have you join the group.  You just have to abide by our one rule: You can talk about sex, politics, or religion, but the Bears and Packers are off limits.

Hope we'll see you soon,
Buddy

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Tue, 10/22/13 11:56 PM
BuddyRoadhouse

Keep your eye on the "Eat and Greet" forum for information on future tours.  We'd love to have you join the group.  You just have to abide by our one rule: You can talk about sex, politics, or religion, but the Bears and Packers are off limits.

When does this alleged sex talk take place?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/23/13 2:42 AM
It's your sex life we're talking about, so any time you're not with us.

Buddy

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/23/13 3:10 AM
Sadly, that must be a very short conversation.

buffetbuster
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/23/13 7:02 AM
ChiBears15

Cliff, as for a trip report, feel free to start one on your own.  I will add my photos (most likely starting this weekend) to your report as you go along.  Thanks again for giving me a ride to the airport and buying my lunch (or was that dinner? lol ) Sunday night.  
Thanks Danny!  Like I said in the message sent you, I wasn't planning on doing a trip report, but this was such a fantastic trip, I feel like I need to do one.

Buddy-
Gregg did let ChiBears15 know about the Contingent and hopefully he will join in.  He is a really good guy and all you Bears fan will like him a lot.  No doubt the Packers fans remain skeptical!   

<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 10/23/13 7:15 AM>

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/23/13 8:44 AM
I'd like to re-visit this TTM sex talk...did I miss it or was it a short lived conversation?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/23/13 2:18 PM
The Travelin Man
Sadly, that must be a very short conversation.
I didn't know you were married.

Buddy

Howard Baratz
  • Total Posts : 445
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Wed, 10/23/13 3:28 PM
ChiTownDiner

I'd like to re-visit this TTM sex talk...did I miss it or was it a short lived conversation?

I believe this is where the expression "talk to the hand" originated.

CajunKing
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/24/13 5:19 PM
Howard Baratz

ChiTownDiner

I believe this is where the expression "talk to the hand" originated.

YOUCH !!! - TTM it is a good thing we LIKE you!

or

Is this where the expression "SMALL" talk came from??
<message edited by CajunKing on Thu, 10/24/13 5:20 PM>

ChiTownDiner
Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour - Thu, 10/24/13 5:34 PM
I believe both origins are accurate! 

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 120 of 120