The Fifth Sense of Taste: Umami

Author
KrissyLynn969
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2012/12/29 21:49:14 (permalink)

The Fifth Sense of Taste: Umami

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all, I am a new user here and wanted to introduce myself first.
I am currently a second year student at the San Jose State University studying Behavioral Science with a minor in visual culture.

I in bit of a need of help from you guys. Recently I my friends and I stumbled onto the topic of taste buds and apparently there is a less-well known fifth taste bud called umami (sweet, sour, salty, and bitter are the other four). 

Umami is the Japanese word for delicious and has been described to make one say "ahhh" or "mmm" when one experiences it. 

A bit more in here  

The word ‘umami' is now widely recognized and used amongst chefs, food writers and food fans around the world, but not so long ago it was known only in Japan, or among scientists, and even then viewed with considerable skepticism. One man who has been aware of umami longer and understands it better than most is Professor Tim Jacob, School of Biosciences, University of Cardiff who specializes in the relationship between smell and taste. “Umami has only been accepted in the west for the past 10 years or so, and the discovery of taste receptors for umami gave it credibility,” says Jacob. 

Now here's the part where I need your help. I would like to do a school project about this mysterious fifth taste bud. I have been trying to collect images on the internet of facial expressions "ahh" or "mmm" by people all over the world. However its really hard to find other races of people. I am asking if anyone here would please share your photos of friends or family enjoying food. 

Thank you for helping!
post edited by KrissyLynn969 - 2012/12/29 21:50:33

4 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:The Fifth Sense of Taste: Umami 2012/12/29 22:16:49 (permalink)
    Welcome Krissy! Good luck with your project!

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8082
    Re:The Fifth Sense of Taste: Umami 2012/12/30 00:28:51 (permalink)
    Hi Krissy,

You might find some information on this thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/F...=614132&high=umami

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:The Fifth Sense of Taste: Umami 2012/12/30 02:39:18 (permalink)
    "Studying Behavioral Science with a minor in visual culture."
    "Visual Culture"????????
    I think we used to call that "Reading"!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:The Fifth Sense of Taste: Umami 2012/12/30 11:35:10 (permalink)
    I think of Umami as a different taste sensation for different people, an ahh Umami moment for me might be a ugh Umami moment for someone else. More of a perception of taste than an ingredient or spice. IMHO!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1