The Film "Super Size Me"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
daveritzdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
2004/05/07 23:47:49 (permalink)

The Film "Super Size Me"

This Fast Food documentary has opened today here in New York City. I will probably see it tommorow at midnight and will let you know what I think. Has anyone seen it yet? Have you read anything about it in your local daily paper? Has it opened in your city or town? Give a holler and let everyone know what you think! There has got to be thousands of opinions about this out there!

46 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/08 10:55:47 (permalink)
    Heard an interview with the filmmaker on NPR a few days ago. Sorry, i'm just not into a film about a guys kidney functions going south...
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/08 12:04:13 (permalink)
    Sounds like a medical program to me!

The Lady
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/08 15:13:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Heard an interview with the filmmaker on NPR a few days ago. Sorry, i'm just not into a film about a guys kidney functions going south...

You mean that you didn't like that scene in Airplane when Peter Graves' bodily functions started going haywire?

Actually, the movie sounds very interesting to me, and I hope to see it.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/08 18:34:16 (permalink)
    Well, that Airplane scene was funny, but I did not get the impression that the guy "Supersizing" had any hunor about him at all. As I wont likely watch the film, please let us know about it - I like to read film reviews...
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/09 08:10:57 (permalink)
    I saw the review in "Entertainment Weekly"...an "A"!
    daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/09 18:18:48 (permalink)
    Hey folks, just wanted to add that the local newspaper print ads for "Super Size Me" were offering a discount for any McDonalds employee, with proof of company ID, for tickets to see the film here in NYC! Very strange indeed! Is this happening in your town also? I still need to see the film, and will check it out on monday.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/10 10:29:52 (permalink)
    A great review on this pretty much sums it up:
    The phoniness surrounding "Super Size Me," Morgan Spurlock's fake documentary on fast food, is beginning to reach super size proportions. This week, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) began desperately trying to piggyback the release of Spurlock's voyeur flick in an attempt to promote its animal rights agenda. PCRM president Neal Barnard, who refers to cheese as "morphine on a cracker" and "dairy crack," makes a guest appearance in the film to push his food-is-addictive mantra. But just as Spurlock's creation is nothing more than a sensationalistic reality show masquerading as a documentary (Spurlock's production company, after all, is aptly named "The Con"), PCRM dons its own disguise. The self-styled medical charity is really just an animal-rights front group (funded generously by PETA) with a vegetarian agenda. Now these two cons are teaming up to frighten Americans into accepting their dietary utopia. A quick overview of PCRM's handiwork reveals why nobody should be fooled.

PCRM frequently makes the misleading claim that "new studies" in collaboration with Georgetown University show that a vegetarian diet can cure diabetes. However, the research itself is funded and run by PCRM (not Georgetown), and uses a grand total of 59 human subjects. Back in 1999, PCRM tried to pull the same stunt with a slapdash study that examined a mere 11 patients. In each instance, PCRM collaborated with a single Georgetown doctor named Mark Sklar in order to claim credibility. It just so happens that Sklar is also a PCRM member who served on the group's Program Committee for a conference in 2000. When not busy schlepping for PCRM's conferences and bogus studies, Sklar pushes vegetarian cookbooks in his spare time -- he's hardly an unbiased researcher.

Barnard's phony physicians group seems more enamored with frivolous litigation than medication. Earlier this year PCRM ran an advertisement soliciting plaintiffs to sue doctors who prescribed low-carb (and presumably meat-heavy) diets. Given the scourge of frivolous malpractice lawsuits, why would a true "physicians committee" want to encourage litigation against its own profession?

That's not a real concern for PCRM, which admits that only five percent of its members are doctors. The group has recklessly claimed that "meat consumption is just as dangerous to public health as tobacco use," and as early as 1999 began demanding tobacco-style federal lawsuits against meat producers and restaurants.

efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/10 12:36:49 (permalink)
    I say. Don't believe the hype. To call this film a documentary should be illegal. In fact there is another person doing the same thing to refute the claims of "Super size me"

http://www.nationalreview.com/stuttaford/stuttaford200404290832.asp

This person's goal is to lose weight and feel healthy eating only McDonalds for one month.

PERSONAL CHOICE is what makes you fat and unhealthy. It's what you eat and how much of it not where you buy it. McDonalds doesn't MAKE you unhealthy - YOU make you unhealthy. I find the fact that people try to blame others for their bad personal choices completely infuriating.

As for the film, I probably won't waste my money on it. It's just foolish propoganda.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/10 15:21:03 (permalink)
    It is a film about one persons individual experience eating nothing but fast food for a month.

The "refute" film is another.

Documentary: Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/10 15:32:20 (permalink)
    you are right, you alone are responsible for eating unhealthy food. But calling this film hype is not really accurate.

A guy eats Mcds for a month straight and lives a sedentary life style. While a bit extreme, it is not too far off for a lot of people. In general, and I am being general, we live a sedentary life and eat absolute crap. Here is one individual's experience with it. Is there a bigger agenda here? Of course there is.

Does not mean that the film is totally invalidated. In saying that the film in invalid because it paints too broad a picture, is invalidating one generality and accepting another.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/10 15:42:31 (permalink)
    Speaking of McDonald's, I think it's rather interesting (though certainly sad for the families involved) that the company's CEO recently died of a heart attack at age 60 and then his replacement, who I believe is in his 40's, just had colon cancer surgery. Is that just coincidence, or have they been eating too much of their company's product? (Also Wendy's CEO Dave Thomas died of heart disease)
    Oneiron339
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/10 16:40:10 (permalink)
    Yeah, and Richard Burton (the poster child for excessive lifestyle, re: drinking, smoking, eating improperly) outlived Dr. Jim Fixx, the running guru who probably single-handedly created the running for fitness boom.
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/11 08:36:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

A great review on this pretty much sums it up:
    The phoniness surrounding "Super Size Me," Morgan Spurlock's fake documentary on fast food, is beginning to reach super size proportions. [remainder deleted to save space]

Oneiron, Thanks for posting this review. What's the source?
    Oneiron339
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/11 11:13:26 (permalink)
    consumer freedom.com
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/11 11:44:12 (permalink)

Here's an idea, how about actually seeing the film you are so flippantly calling "foolish propaganda". This film is NOT about blaming McDonalds for making people unhealthy. It's more about McDonald's business practices and rising health concerns in a culture enraptured b fast-food.

But hey, why make an informed opinion when an sweeping generalization will do?

Since you've apparently seen the movie, why not give us a brief outline about what's actually in it so that we can continue the discussion based upon the real movie, not the press reports. Everything I've read about it, which isn't much, seems to indicate that it's basically a travelogue through this fellow's bowels after a month of eating as unhealthy a diet as possible. Since even the lost tribes in the Amazon jungle know that fast food, or any food for that matter, in large doses is unhealthy, I'm not sure what the point is. Is there more to the film than that?
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/11 15:25:24 (permalink)
    I'll wait for the book to come out !!!

And I'm all for anybody blocking anything by Michael Moore (in fact I wish we could block him at the borders !!!) .... why, I'd even vote for them for President !!!!
    daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/11 23:14:25 (permalink)
    Hey all Roadfooders, I finally saw the Documentary "Super Size Me", and as promised, I will give you my honest opinion about it. Morgan Spurlock, the writer and director of this film, provokes his audience into really thinking about how corporate America markets fast food and keeps us craving it and coming back for more! He is funny, honest, and yet brutal in his quest to consume all of his meals for a month within the friendly confines of the Golden Arches! Ultimately, he shows how schoolchildren, who are too young to make healthy food decisions, are fed an unhealthy diet of sugar water, starches,fatty meats, and processed foods by profit-greedy corporate school cafeteria operators! Hopefully, this film will let you make your own decisions about Fast Food! The medical doctors in the film, who monitor Spurlock's health during his thirty day binge, give very frank advice and insight to what a poor diet can do to your everyday health! I hope all of you see this documentary for what it stands for: The Truth! My favorite part in the film is the point when Spurlock, in the middle of his binge, finds himself getting addicted to Fast Food, and experiences withdrawl symptoms. When he finally satisfies his craving, he becomes ill from the effects! Most of us can very much relate to this because it is so real! Overall, an Oscar worthy cinema experience that I hope all of America will see, and surely will be talking about for a long time! Will Spurlock become the number one enemy of corporate America? Will children be fed healthier food in schools? Let's hope for people making changes for an informed, improved America.
    buggsy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/12 00:34:50 (permalink)
    I guess I should not even post anything at this time because I've been drinking a bit and am a little emotional about this issue.
    That being said, I can't wait to see the film. It won an award at the Sundance film festival and I enjoy film as art. Recognize that this is a work of art and not science. The filmmaker consumed 5,000 Mcdonalds calories every day for a month. He admits that he stoppped his usual fitness workout while he was on his Mcdonald's diet, gained twenty-five pounds, and damaged his liver.
    HELLO! Does any of this sound strange to you? Anyone will gain weight eating 5,000 calories of soybeans a day unless they can work it off.
    I'm not a dietician and have a serious weight problem myself. As big as I am or have been in the past, I could not even imagine gaining 25 pounds in a month. The bottom line is that the filmaker's change in lifestyle and not his food choices played a primary role in his health problems.
    The food at McDonald's and other fast food restaurants is wretched. I eat it when I have to. I wonder what this guy was thinking, being an apparent healthnik, when he decided to do his 'scientific' study. Could there be an agenda?
    Thanks for listening to my somewhat inebriated rant.

Mike the Great
    Oneiron339
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/12 09:00:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by daveritzdog

Hey all Roadfooders, I finally saw the Documentary "Super Size Me", and as promised, I will give you my honest opinion about it. Morgan Spurlock, the writer and director of this film, provokes his audience into really thinking about how corporate America markets fast food and keeps us craving it and coming back for more! He is funny, honest, and yet brutal in his quest to consume all of his meals for a month within the friendly confines of the Golden Arches! Ultimately, he shows how schoolchildren, who are too young to make healthy food decisions, are fed an unhealthy diet of sugar water, starches,fatty meats, and processed foods by profit-greedy corporate school cafeteria operators! Hopefully, this film will let you make your own decisions about Fast Food! The medical doctors in the film, who monitor Spurlock's health during his thirty day binge, give very frank advice and insight to what a poor diet can do to your everyday health! I hope all of you see this documentary for what it stands for: The Truth! My favorite part in the film is the point when Spurlock, in the middle of his binge, finds himself getting addicted to Fast Food, and experiences withdrawl symptoms. When he finally satisfies his craving, he becomes ill from the effects! Most of us can very much relate to this because it is so real! Overall, an Oscar worthy cinema experience that I hope all of America will see, and surely will be talking about for a long time! Will Spurlock become the number one enemy of corporate America? Will children be fed healthier food in schools? Let's hope for people making changes for an informed, improved America.

Dog - you've got to be kidding! If you believe there is educational or entertainment value to this drivel, then I have some property to sell you in FL. This guy has an agenda (see my original post re: consumer freedom.com above) and the "documentary" he came up with is another of the type of Michael Moore shams trying to portray facts. Check http://www.nationalreview.com/stuttaford/stuttaford200404290832.asp
    where someone else did the same McD's month-long diet - AND ACTUALLY LOST WEIGHT! Buggsy had it right too, maybe we should go out and get drunk rather than pay nine bucks to watch this movie.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/12 10:08:38 (permalink)
    If The National Review is against it, I'm for it!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/12 10:12:49 (permalink)
    quote:

Yeah, and Richard Burton (the poster child for excessive lifestyle, re: drinking, smoking, eating improperly) outlived Dr. Jim Fixx, the running guru who probably single-handedly created the running for fitness boom.

Just goes to show ya....
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/12 10:53:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

If The National Review is against it, I'm for it!

Speaking of sweeping generalizations....
    daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/12 19:07:05 (permalink)
    Wow, it's debates like this that make America great! The power of the press is a great thing, and can work both ways. Everyone should read as much as they like about "Super Size Me", but also see the documentary and make your own educated choices on the authenticity of the subject matter! Everyone's voice matters. Hey, let's here from more people out there reading these forums! Liberals, Conservatives, and normal people, are you out there? Give us a holler about the Golden Arches, Fast Food, and "Super Size Me".
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/12 21:05:15 (permalink)
    Haven't seen the film, but my two cents is that the rise in obesity rates seems to have coincided with a decline in the number of people who smoke. Maybe it's not the supersizing, it's just that we are eating more and smoking less. I am not saying that the two are related on an individual basis, it's just that at a very broad generalized level, we weigh more but smoke less as a society. I have no numbers to back me up; this is only the observation of an ex-smoker who gained weight after quitting.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/05/13 09:59:49 (permalink)
    I quit smoking on January 1, 1968 (after about 25 years of three pack a day habit) and almost immediately discovered that food could be delicious. Since then I have gained about 60 pounds - and from my observation that is quite typical of ex-smokers who are not careful of their diet and do not exercise enough.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/06/03 17:33:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

quote:

Just goes to show ya....

I think it should be noted that Jim Fixx had heart disease in his family. His death was probably related to genetic problems, and all the running in the world couldn't have prevented it.
    mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/06/04 00:00:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like there are many factors to consider when speaking of the causes of obesity. Personal nutritional choices, lifestyle, marketing strategies, and genetics play a big part in our obesity problem. Regarding the movie, can one not say it is a wake-up call for all Americans to realize that big business/corporations bottom line is to make money? Whether or not an individual has the ability to control their food intake is of no concern to these large corporations. Sad, definitely. Grounds for a lawsuit for making you fat.... it will never fly in my opinion as long as people have choices and the ability to make them. I have a lot of compassion for obese individuals and I sincerely hope this very serious health problem can be overcome because it causes much more than physical health problems. It ruins the lives of many fine, intelligent, and deserving individuals.
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/06/04 12:40:56 (permalink)
    I saw the movie last week. It didn't so much open my eyes about the health dangers of fast food so much as it showed the extent to which, like tobacco companies, makers of unhealthy food target children. Kids know Ronald McDonald like they knew Joe Camel. I was also shocked to see candy bars being sold in schools.

One other point, for the individual responsibility side: I agree that the film had an anti-McDonald's aim, and that it proceeded deductively--McDonald's is bad, let's see how--as opposed to inductively--let's see what happens if I eat McDonald's for a month. But here's the thing: they had a devil of a time finding nutritional information in the restaurants, even though McD's knew they were making the movie. It's like the automobile defects database that isn't being released to the public like Congress set it up: if the information isn't out there, you can't accuse people of ignorance.
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: The Film "Super Size Me" 2004/06/04 13:29:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hiram Callahan

But here's the thing: they had a devil of a time finding nutritional information in the restaurants, even though McD's knew they were making the movie. It's like the automobile defects database that isn't being released to the public like Congress set it up: if the information isn't out there, you can't accuse people of ignorance.

OK, the information wasn't in the restaurants, but McDonald's isn't trying to hide it: http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.nutrition.index.html

Why is McDonald's and the fast-food industry generally held to this standard of providing nutritional information, when other restaurants are not? Go demand that your local bakery/BBQ joint/seafood shack posts the truth, NOW!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1