The Flavor... it's the flavor !!!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/24 21:28:38 (permalink)
There is one flavor...Fudge Attack, or something like that that is the only ice cream I can say that finally is TOO Chocolate for me. Dark Chocolate with fudge ripple and dark Choc. chunks... Another of the Denali flavors.
I am partial to the English Toffee- Heath Bar flavors, And Cariboo Crunch fills that slot just right !!
OH, BTW GooGoo Cluster's bothe the candy and the ice cream flavor are high on my list of sweets when I can find them. ( but the candy that uses Pecans in place of Peanuts)
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/25 19:05:24 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I have to say that my favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor that is currently available (I last saw it about six months ago) is Chubby Hubby. It's not so much so good; it's just weird enough to hook me in.
Ben & Jerry's had a Peanut Butter ice cream out for awhile to commemorate George Washington Carver's usage of that noble legume... I think the proceeds benefitted Tuskegee Institute. When production stopped on that one, I was truly crestfallen. Maybe I had ought to write them, especially in my atrocious Southern accent, and tell them just h-o-w much I miss it. Sigh.
Nostalgically; Coolly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/25 19:10:13 (permalink)
Ort.
Chubby Hubby is one of my wife's favorites also...That's why she married me, I guess.
It would be interesting to see if B & J would respond in the Vermont dialect to your Southern eptisle.
AL
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1179
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/29 16:38:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Ort.
Chubby Hubby is one of my wife's favorites also...That's why she married me, I guess.
It would be interesting to see if B & J would respond in the Vermont dialect to your Southern eptisle.
AL

I won't allow Chubby Hubby in my house. For reasons that would be obvious if we had pictures of ourselves on this site. *harumph*
Alirush
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/29 17:35:18 (permalink)
Our Walmart used to carry Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt versions of all of the top flavors, but I can't seem to find them anymore! The chocolate fudge brownie version was particularly decadent - felt like eating the real thing.

We have a great local custard place in Arkansas called Shakey Frozen Custard (not to be confused with Shakey's - the burger place). They make fresh custard every hour or so (do all custard places do that?). My favorite is the vanilla custard with chocolate, caramel, and hot, salty, whole pecans. There's something about the combination of flavors and temperatures...
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/29 18:00:10 (permalink)
As long as Ben and Jerry's has been put into play; Cherry Garcia is our favorite. I often buy the "single serving" size (pint ) and have it finished off within the hour!
elltea
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/05/01 01:27:17 (permalink)
Ben & Jerry's really is single-serving size! Ask any poor college student... we used to each eat one of those and call it our caloric intake for the day.

I must agree with VibrationGuy about the Tillamook and Umpqua ice creams... when you're driving through Southern Oregon make sure to pull off I-5 in Roseburg for a scoop of the Umpqua Black Raspberry.

I've started making my own ice cream as well (lemon curd flavor rivals even the Washtenaw Dairy in Ann Arbor), but the "Mocha Lace" at Wentworth's in Hamden, CT is probably the single best flavor I've ever had. Fine threads of coffee candy coated in chocolate that shatter in your teeth when you bite into the rich vanilla.... swoon.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/06/30 18:49:14 (permalink)
AOL's Money-line link headlines a Beer Flavored Ice Cream now being tested in the U K (Not the University of Kentucky !!). I just don't think it will push Choc.Chip off the charts !!
Here's the Link

http://money.cnn.com/2003/06/12/news/funny/beer_flavored_icecream/index.htm
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/06/30 21:45:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

AOL's Money-line link headlines a Beer Flavored Ice Cream now being tested in the U K (Not the University of Kentucky !!). I just don't think it will push Choc.Chip off the charts !!

Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/06/30 23:41:28 (permalink)
Alirush, where is the Shakey Frozen Custard shop in Arkansas? I've never heard of it and would like to try it. There is a frozen custard shop in Little Rock (can't think of its name) on Westhaven Drive (right across from Wynnsong 10 Theater) and right behind Corkey's Barbecue (corner of Westhaven & Bowman Rd.). It puts out really delcious frozen desserts of all sorts, and my St. Louis friends say its products come the closest to Ted Drewes goodies of any they have ever found anywhere, which to me is a pretty fine recommendation.
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/01 13:24:14 (permalink)
Hrm. Amy's Ice Cream in Austin has beer flavors from time to time. I'm not a beer drinker, but I do kinda get the malt/dairy synergy.

Lately, I've become rather infatuated with the lemon ice cream from Fran's Chocolates in Seattle. Fran Bigelow is an artisan chocolatier, but this is clearly her most amazing flavor. Lemon ice cream is Not Easy - lots of sugar, acid, volatile flavor compounds....it's a technical challenge, but this stuff is like manna from heaven.

Eric, Heard Walking Away Muttering "Ben Who?"
Alirush
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/01 15:06:16 (permalink)
Liketoeat, there's a Shakey's Frozen Custard in Hot Springs on Rt 7 right next to the Hot Springs mall. There used to be one in Fayetteville, but I'm not sure if it's still there. They seem to always be housed in odd little buildings that were obviously not originally built as frozen custard shops. The two I'm familiar with are drive-thru/walk-up window only. I prefer the walk-up window - I like to really contemplate what to order (before ordering my regular!) and I also like to watch the custard-making process. They claim to make fresh custard every hour...tastes like it, too.

Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/01 18:35:14 (permalink)
Alirush, thanks for the info re the Hot Springs location of Shakey's Frozen Custard shop. I was right by there just a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately was unaware of it, but will surely try it out next time I'm in that area. It seems that the best frozen custard shops anywhere are the walk up or walk up-drive thru combo types. I too, like you, do the walk up and study bit and also like you nearly always wind up ordering the same thing (plain vanilla). Thanks again for this information.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/02 09:49:52 (permalink)
There's a guy in Austin that makes "custom" ice cream for parties and special orders. He has his own flavors, but will also make custom blends. I've had his Mango-Habanero blend several times (he sometimes offers it at a local Round Rock restaurant), and it is truly heavenly.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/09 18:58:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

Hrm. Amy's Ice Cream in Austin has beer flavors from time to time. I'm not a beer drinker, but I do kinda get the malt/dairy synergy...

Eric, I didn't know Amy's served that until I read your post last week. I talked to a friend this past weekend, and she said Amy's offers a Shiner Bock flavor occasionally (as they rotate flavors). Mr Mayor would like that!!!

I suppose I'll try it when I run across it. Thanks for the tip. (I guess. )
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/10 13:02:19 (permalink)
Bushie:

My pleasure. It's widely known offline that I am *anything* but a Responsible Adult. I rather enjoy leading people to their downfall; I want some like-minded people there with me at my final destination.

Eric
elcoraidercheer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/15 20:18:20 (permalink)
There is a restaurant/ice cream stand in Lancaster PA, that I often go to, called CJ's Corral. There they have a special flavor each week and three flavors every weekend. Some of their most popular flavors are Teaberry, Peanut butter, Licorice, and Cremesickle. If you're ever going through the Lebanon/Lancaster area, it's a good place to pull over and get a quick and cool treat. They even have a petting zoo and an area for kids to stretch their legs.
repartee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/16 05:06:23 (permalink)
Over here in Japan we get, as you can imagine, odd flavours.

Black sesame is nice. Another one is vanilla with the ubiquitous corn niblets in but the worst is wasabi!

One thing they've started doing here is turkish ice cream, which is lovely, what, stretchy and viscous. Apparently they make quite a performance of it in Turkey. It's hard to scoop out. They throw it up in some long tube like affair, have the punters stand around and catch it in the cones. It's fabulous. Try some if you can get it.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/21 19:45:49 (permalink)
I hesitate to do this, for I post this purely as hearsay, not having experienced it myself, but was advised this weekend by St. Louis friends whose food judgment I trust as better than my own (and who are Ted Drewes fanatics; the same friends who earlier this spring pronounced the frozen custard shop on Westhaven Dr. in Little Rock as the closest they'd ever found to Ted Drewes) that they had at long last found a frozen custard shop which is fully the equal of Ted Drewes, specifically Culver's Frozen Custard of Bloomington, 1807 W. Market, Bloomington, IL. The "monthly menu" with "specialty flavors of the day "- a different one for each day of the month - surely looked wonderfully delicious and in some cases quite unusual, unique. I post this info for anyone who might be through Bloomington, IL, some hot day this summer and want to check it out. Liketoeat
city
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/22 22:37:17 (permalink)
Starbucks ice cream is great. Especially the lowfat latte!
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/22 22:47:28 (permalink)
Bushie, I DO miss BlueBell from Brenham way out here in KY...love their seasonal flavors, like Poteet Strawberries and Cream.

I've had Graeter's, and I thought the serving looked a bit small, but boy was it good. Quite unlike any ice cream I'd had before.

For stuff I can just pick up at the store, I like Edy's Dreamery, and Hagen Daz's Bananas Foster.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/23 04:42:56 (permalink)
Like to-
Just noticed they are building a Culver's next to the Walmart just off I-64 in Corydon, Indiana. We are looking forward to contributing to the success of the business in the near future.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/23 09:49:20 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, as mentioned in my above post, I've never tried Culver's (never even heard of it before last week), but I fully trust food judgment of those friends, so am sure that you will enjoy the offerings of the new Culver's in Indiana when it gets going. The Illinois Culver's menu had some great looking specialty offerings.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/07/23 11:18:35 (permalink)
Greetings, all! I've been a lurker on the roadfood.com forums for quite some time, but was motivated by this ice cream thread to register, finally. :)

I had the most delicious flavor ice cream recently, from Bredenbeck's Ice Cream parlor in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia. I'm not sure if it was home made or one of their regular flavors (I think they scoop up both Haagen Dazs and Bassetts), but this was the -best- tasting ice cream I've had in a long time. It was pineapple-coconut, and no, it did not have Rum in it, a la Pina Colada! :P It did have nice chunks of pineapple and wasn't too heavy on the coconut and tasted just right on a very warm summer day.

Anyways, that's my introductory contribution. I must add that I thoroughly enjoy reading posts on the forums, but find that they tend to make me almost ravenously hungry! :P

thanks folks!

~~tarragon~~
spamlamb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/08/28 18:19:39 (permalink)
VibrGuy & jmckee -

Little tid-bit on Graeter's if you ever are flying through Cincinnati airport or driving through Northern KY. While they do not sell Graeter's, Skyline or Montgomery Inn ribs at the airport (aka "The Big Three of Cinti"), you can get a half-dozen pints packed in dry ice the Graeters store at the Buttermilk Pike exit off I75. It's about 15 minutes from the airport, and stopping there saves you more than half the cost of getting it delivered ($31+/- instead of $70+ for 6 pints). My dream 6-pack: Black Rasp Chip, Mocha Chip, Toffee Chip, Dbl Choc Chip (sometimes fatal), "regular" Choc Chip and flav of the month. As The Who may have sung once in Cinti: "The Best I ever had!"

Side-note: my sister-in-law dated Rich Graeter for a brief period of time. I think she stopped seeing him once she discovered his favorite flavour was vanilla.

A couple more quickies: who has the 2nd-best ice cream in Cinti? My vote would go to Aglamesis Bros on Madison in Oakley. And their Greek heritage makes them a more likely complement to a dinner of Skyline chili. UDF (United Dairy Farmers to the uninitiated) also was pretty good, for a chain ... but why would one go to a chain in Cinti?

Best ice cream parlour in Denver would have to be Bonnie Brae on University. Pretty good - but not Graeter's.

Cheers!
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

*creepy music goes here*

I was just extolling the virtues of Graeter's to a friend in SoCal not ten minutes ago. The black raspberry chocolate chip has to be one of the best ice cream flavors of all time. Their low-overrun method really makes superb ice cream.

Eric
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/08/28 19:29:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

Our favorite flavor is Purity Ice Cream of Ithaca's Cinnammon. It goes great with holiday pies and desserts. Otherwise, give me good old french vanilla with lots of butterfat :)

Yes, Purity Ice Cream!!!! It is not until we move away from an area that we really realize the great "Roadfood" things about it........I look back and think of Purity Ice Cream, Dinosaur Barbeque, fish sandwiches out at the "loop" in Oswego, hot dogs at Heid's, Cornell style barbeque chicken, and I could go on and on. But unless a person has moved away from where they have always lived, they will never really appreciate the foods in their own area.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/09/01 20:10:37 (permalink)
They have a garlic festival every year in Gilroy, CA, and I always read that they serve garlic flavored ice cream there.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/09/02 00:23:44 (permalink)
Having had both Culver's and Ted Drewes, I'd have to say Ted wins by a spoon in the custard department. On the other hand, Culver's butterburgers just totally get the job done.
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/03 08:44:31 (permalink)
For anyone around Madison, WI one of my favorite spots is on Monroe St. Out past Camp Randall. Pasqual's Mexican deli is on the right for some good food and across the street is Michael's custard.
An excellent combo!
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/03 18:26:44 (permalink)
I just tried a new "Kopp's" flavor, turtle cheesecake (as dessert after having a "light butter" patty melt at Solly's, and prior to that a tour of "Specher's" brewer and sampling all of the 9 beer varieties they were pouring today). I have eaten the Kopp's regular "turtle" flavor in the past, but adding the cheesecake chunks makes it even better. I love the way Kopp's adds massive amounts of butter roasted and salted pecans after the strands of custard come out of the machines (for turtle and butter pecan flavors) and toasted pistachios to the pistachio custard.

All of Wisconsin is Packer wild now that they have reached the playoffs, and Kopp's in Milwaukee is serving what their marquee touts as "Bret Farve's Favorite Dessert", Key Lime Pie Custard, tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out.

Each of the Kopp's flavors I have tried over the last 2 months is better than any similar flavors I have ever had anywhere in my 64 years (except maybe the orange pineapple that my father in law made at the little stand in North Carolina that he ran for 30 years before his death).
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1