The Flavor... it's the flavor !!!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6614
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/03 21:12:54 (permalink)
I had the pleasure of eating Wells' Blue Bunny ice cream at the visitor center in Le Mars, Iowa (ice cream capitol of the world, they proudly advertise). They had an entire menu of all their ice creasm flavors, sundaes, other concoctions. I asked for ONE SCOOP of toffe/vanilla/Heath Bar ice cream. It arrived and was what the rest of the world calls THREE SCOOPS! Best ice cream I ever ate anywhere. They make their own waffle cones and dip the open end in chocolate and looked like they were filled with about three scoops too. Across the street is Bob's Drive-In, also rated by the Sterns (as was Blue Bunny) and they are famous for their hot dogs. (I was too full after the ice cream). Le Mars, Iowa is a great Roadfood destination!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3278
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/08 21:37:52 (permalink)
Hi Hillbilly,

I never realized you were a "Cheesehead in Beertown." I'm just south in the Kenosha/Racine area. I've never tried a Solly's butterburger and hope to soon. If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop in at Kewpee's in downtown Racine for one of the best cheeseburgers in the midwest. The Spot Dirive-In in Kenosha also has a highly respectable cheeseburger. We always go to Kopps after eating at "The Lobster" on 76th. My favorite flavors are Dreamsicle and Midnight Chocolate Cake.

Here's a list of this month's offerings: www.kopps.com/jan2004.htm

Stop in at Lisa's on Oakland for a paper thin.
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/09 01:19:25 (permalink)
Here in Oklahoma we have a Braum's Ice cream stores. They make a very good product, you can even find it in Baja Oklahoma. We do get Blue Bell in our grocery stores. I think it is a good Ice cream. In fact I would like to spend a few months this summer taste testing. My doctor, Wife, Daughter, Son and the Grand kids said NO!
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/09 02:39:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mobley

Anyone here been to Carl's Frozen Custard in Fredericksburg VA? During the Summer the place is slammed. Some people I knew in the DC area told me about it and now it's a "must stop"..The flavors are pretty basic, but it sure is good.

Though I live in Central Kentucky, I discovered Carl's about 10 years ago and have visited 5 or 6 times since, almost always on warm evenings when local folk come out in large numbers. Just love the place. In fact, I'm staring across the room at one of those painted wooden cut outs of the Carl's building (a gift from Fredericksburg friends).

I imagine you are also fascinated by the original machinery (which looks like it might be Jules Verne's idea of a custard machine). I'm amazed they are able to keep it working. The place is a living museaum.

On my last visit, I tried something new (as if there are many choices): a Carl's maple syrup sundae. It's made with the vanilla custard, maple syrup, and pecans and I thought it delicious.

Carl's should reopen for the year sometime in February, when Carl returns from Florida.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/09 08:44:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Hi Hillbilly,

I never realized you were a "Cheesehead in Beertown."

I'm really a [blue]"TARHEEL"[[/blue]size=1][/size=1]in beertown for the winter, wondering why I accepted this project at this time of year. But in fact, we are really enjoying Milwaukee, and are very impressed by the architecture and cleanliness of the whole area. we can find an "Event" of some kind (from NBA games to a "Lynrd Skynrd" concert, the "Rockettes" performance, very good stage productions ("The Foreigner" Sunday night) and the Rodeo next week.

AND THE BEER IS GREAT!

Thanks for suggesting more places to try!

(DAMN, that blue came out more like "Duke" blue than "CAROLINA BLUE", and that will never do!)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/09 09:49:25 (permalink)
Hillbilly,
That is UK Blue for sure. Tubby Smith will be proud of you for displaying his colors in your post. (Welcome to Rupp Arena)!!
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/09 10:05:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hillbilly,
That is UK Blue for sure. Tubby Smith will be proud of you for displaying his colors in your post. (Welcome to Rupp Arena)!!

Given the "whooping" that "Tubby's Troops" laid on "Roy's Boys" last week, I suppose that it is appropriate to acknowledge the victors.

BUT---our BBQ can still beat your BBQ! AND we are the home of "Krispy Kreme".
dte3672
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/09 12:07:22 (permalink)
I LUV the ice creams with thick ribbons of peanut butter swirled through them-Baskin & Robbins Peanut Butter Chocolate or Blue Bunny's Peanut Butter Panic!
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/11 05:20:51 (permalink)
Wow, my first roadfood post was in this topic! I don't know why I'm thinking of ice cream since it's so cold outside, but ... as a child there were two favorite ice creams I'd always get when visiting my grandparents in Delaware. Sadly, both are -long- gone from existance but fondly recalled, I believe, by many in Delaware. One was soft-serve custard, Lehmann's, on Governor Prinz Boulevard just north of the Merchandise Mart. There was also a miniature golf course next to the ice cream stand so usually we'd go play mini golf then get a nice cone. YUM! The second was a dairy called Linthwaithe's on Concord Pike, in the same general location as the Concord Mall. Linthwaithe's was home-made ice cream in many flavors; my favorite used to be a double dip of mint and lemon.

-tarragon
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/11 05:32:59 (permalink)
I still mourn Chocolate Fudge Marble.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/01/11 06:38:24 (permalink)
Hillbilly,
I will yield to you on the subject of P O R K BBQ, but standfast at the City Limits of Owensboro, KY to shout the advantages of Mutton at the Moonlite !!!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 09:26:15 (permalink)
I remember a strange little ice cream shop in Berkerley Ca than had a flavor called Rubyfruit Jungle. If you know Rita Mae Browne's book of the same name you'll know why I passed on this one.
ahmicchick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 09:52:57 (permalink)
I remember going with my Dad on our weekly visits to Maynard's, an ice cream parlour in Toronto that's now long-gone. They made a wonderful grape ice cream, it was my favorite. I've tried to replicate it, and came close, but... Does anyone have a recipe for grape ice cream (not sherbet)?

By the way, this is my first post on roadfoods, I love this forum.

Thanks!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 09:59:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Much as I hate admitting my ignorance in public, tristan, what the heck are you talking about?

Wasn't Rita Mae Brown the woman who sued martina navratalova for palimony a few years back?

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think...

Tom Robbins had a similar euphamism for this part of the female anatomy in one of his books a few years back. I believe his was the "Peachfish" if memory serves me correctly. Not a flavor of ice cream I would favor either, tristan!!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 10:02:15 (permalink)
quote:

Much as I hate admitting my ignorance in public, tristan, what the heck are you talking about?

Wasn't Rita Mae Brown the woman who sued martina navratalova for palimony a few years back?
Not wanting to risk driving this forum in a direction I'll regret, I'll humbly drop this topic dear clothier. I'll try to reframe from salacious comments in the future.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 10:33:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Isbill

Here in Oklahoma we have a Braum's Ice cream stores. They make a very good product, you can even find it in Baja Oklahoma. We do get Blue Bell in our grocery stores. I think it is a good Ice cream. In fact I would like to spend a few months this summer taste testing. My doctor, Wife, Daughter, Son and the Grand kids said NO!

Hey Bill---being a recent Oklahoman i was just wondering---Baja Oklahoma--is that that big place south of us that mistakenly thinks its the only place you can get great brisket and keeps a cover on the chili so the beans wont fall in?
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 10:36:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

I remember a strange little ice cream shop in Berkerley Ca than had a flavor called Rubyfruit Jungle. If you know Rita Mae Browne's book of the same name you'll know why I passed on this one.

You should'a stopped in!
ahmicchick
Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 10:48:10 (permalink)
quote:

Welcome Ahmicchick.

Interesting name. Care to share it's meaning?

Hey Clothier,

When back in Canada for the summers, we go to Ahmic Lake, about a 3 hours' drive north of Toronto. Two things:

1) "Ahmic" means beaver
2) If you're ever in that area, make sure to try Kawartha Dairies ice cream, any flavor.
ahmicchick
Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 11:07:48 (permalink)
Well, not quite the Arctic Circle, but far enough north that dogsledding is apparently a popular winter pasttime. It's still in Ontario, actually by quite a bit. I think that if you continue due north you eventually get to Hudson's Bay, but Ahmic Lake is cool enough for the summer weather we want!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 11:18:33 (permalink)
Man, this thread is just loaded with double entendre...
stormycat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 12:36:25 (permalink)
The very best ice cream flavor sensations I have ever experienced were:

1. Cinnamon at the Farson Merchantile, Farson, Wyoming
2. Ginger at Grays in Tiverton, Rhode Island
3. Peppermint Patty at Shermans in South Haven, Michigan
4. Anything from Jilbert's Dairy in Marquette, Michigan
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 14:55:19 (permalink)
We stopped at a Braum's in Tyler,TX and had some great ice cream...From then on everytime we saw a sign, there would be a discussion as to the need for another stop. Turned out to be about a .500 average on the stops. I think Duff can recognize the signs now !
In Tilamook OR the dairy there has great ice cream also. Check my travelog --Part Two-- for a couple of testimonial photos.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 15:12:54 (permalink)
Yep. That Tillamook ice cream is excellent!!
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/16 15:15:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Isbill

Hey Bill---being a recent Oklahoman i was just wondering---Baja Oklahoma--is that that big place south of us that mistakenly thinks its the only place you can get great brisket and keeps a cover on the chili so the beans wont fall in?

Y'all are just jealous. I believe you are referring to one of the Great State of Texas contributions to society - the Honky-Tonk. They usually don't sell ice cream in them.
spaniel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/19 01:30:45 (permalink)
Herrell's ice cream has some terrific flavors. One of the best I've had was Butter & Burnt Brown Sugar. It was like the caramelized top of a creme brulee in ice cream form. This would be good enough on its own, but I actually had it as part of an ice cream cake that also included cookie dough ice cream, a fudge-chocolate crunch base and a kind of semi-frozen buttercream frosting.

They also make Purple Cow ice cream: black raspberry ice cream with chocolate chunks mixed in.

Wawa food markets (convenience store chain in Mid-Atlantic states) has had some great special edition flavors in their house brand. One was called Muddy Sneakers - white chocolate flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel. Awful name, but the ice cream was good. Another was pumpkin with marshmallow swirl.

Does anyone remember Ben & Jerrys Pecan Pie from a few years back? I keep hoping they'll bring it back (along with "Raspberry Gone Coconuts" - I think that's what it was called - and Heath Bar Crunch frozen yogurt)
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/19 02:36:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

BUT---our BBQ can still beat your BBQ! AND we are the home of "Krispy Kreme".

Hillbilly, North Carolina pork barbeque does indeed rule. It's true. And I'm thankful to Tar Heels for doing it so well. I go to North Carolina every summer for a serious fix of their fine barbeque, and dine on it from the ocean to the Tennessee border.

West Kentucky is a hot bed of barbeque, notable for mutton. While west Kentuckians slow roast pork, beef, and mutton, it's the latter that earns them laurels.

Mutton barbeque came into vogue in the 19th century as farmers and farmer's wives searched for a way to make the tough and strong flavored meat of older sheep more palatable.

I hope you'll incorporate a stop in Owensboro sometime on one of your journeys. Brother AL is right-on about The Moonlite; it's grand, and is one of several good places there.

If you must crow about North Carolina que and Krispy Kreme, I must remind you of the wondrous sorghum syrup cooked in the Kentucky hills in early October and the seven national championship banners hanging in Rupp.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/19 09:29:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

If you must crow about North Carolina que and Krispy Kreme, I must remind you of the wondrous sorghum syrup cooked in the Kentucky hills in early October and the seven national championship banners hanging in Rupp.

I'll concede that "Bourbon Hill" has more banners than the full 20 miles of "Tobacco Road" (UNC, NC State and Duke--if Duke really counts), but man, we have had some great games among these 3!

AND we also cook the sorgum syrup (we call it molasses) in the NC hills. My job used to be to keep the mule moving around with the pole attached to the cane wringer so we would have the juice to cook in the vats. Incidentally, although it isn't on the menu, you can get a fix of of molasses at "Cracker Barrell" if you ask the server. I always get some along with extra butter and biscuits to go along with my "Uncle Herchel's Breakfast" when I get homesick for some good country ham and southern breakfast. You can also get "red eye gravy" by asking, but outside of the south it turns out to be nothing but cold, putrid grease.

Hell, I LOVE some chains!! Especially those that serve up food you can't get anywhere else in the region. Cracker Barrell outside the south is a great example. I will even drop by sometime for their "Beans 'n Greens" combo of pintos, turnip greens, onions, relish and cornbread. I am a proud, practicing "Hillbilly", not just by post name.
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/02/21 21:58:42 (permalink)
I'm a pastry person more than Icecream. There were several occasions though when I really thought I'd died and gone to heaven over Icecream!!!

31 FLAVORS *Blueberry Cheesecake* Icecream with huge cheesecake chunks!

KALIEDOSCOOPS *Tiramisu* Icecream with soaked ladyfinger chunks in a big sugarcone!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2004/04/19 10:40:34 (permalink)
The Peach Stands that sell fresh peaches and other produce during the summer months in South Carolina also has ice cream parlors on one side of their building and they sell a peach ice cream that is creamy with chunks of fresh peach in it. It is worth the drive to buy peaches just to get the ice cream.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2005/04/02 09:54:39 (permalink)
I'm hooked on Graeters Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Chip is the wrong word. My last bowl had a piece of chocolate the size of a Hersheys miniture in it.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1