The Flavor... it's the flavor !!!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2003/04/03 15:27:36 (permalink)

The Flavor... it's the flavor !!!

Even some of the chain type ice cream counters/stands/parlors have flavors that stand out.
Baskin Robbins 'Pralines and Cream' has always been one of my favorites. They used to make Pink Grapefruit Ice that was very good also.
The Thrifty Drug Store chain, before Rite-Aid bought them out, Had an APRICOT MANGO Sherbet that was outstanding.
There are several soft-serve stands in the Louisville area that have an excellent product...not the watery stuff that comes out of a faucet in many places.
So what about FLAVORS ???........

95 Replies Related Threads

stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/03 16:21:02 (permalink)
    Does Baskin-Robbins still make the "Bubble Gum" Ice Cream? There were pieces of pink gum inside...and yes, they gave you a spittoon. Yuck! I always liked their Fudge Brownie!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/03 18:22:14 (permalink)
    There are some places in Milwaukee that their specialty is custard and butter burgers. They are super clean with a lot of stainless steel and the custard is fantastic. I do not recall the name, but i go there each time I am there. I'll bet the Mayor will know

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    WhirlGirl2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/03 19:47:03 (permalink)
    The place you are talking about in Milwaukee is called "Culver's".
    I can't vouch for the custard because I was too stuffed with a butter burger and fries! I'm not sure if I would go back...there is just something weirdly obscene about something named a "butter burger".
    Other custard places I love are:
    Leon's 27th and Oklahoma The grande dame of custard places. Try a "hot fudge Leon's over butter pecan custard".
    Kopp's many locations Always interesting flavors. Burgers bigger than your head.
    Golden Gyros 70-something and Lincoln Great flavors! For those who need a gyro and custard to be complete.
    Mimma's Brady Street not really custard...but they have kick-ass gelato.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/03 20:07:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the referrals on the custard stands. I have never been off the freeway in Southern Wisconsin, so know little of it. We would always chow down in the Chicago area, then use I-90 to head west or northwest, rather than North!!
    Paul for the last 12 years of my teaching career in SoCal we had May-June and Nov-Dec off on the year-round schedule, so roadtrips of 4 to 6 weeks were an annual event. Coming back to Louisville to visit my kids was part of each years agenda...but the going and coming took on the look of the search for lost treasure!! We targeted festivals, BBQ, Trains, and anything else that caught out fancy. I have a box of Stern's and other roadie books behind the seat in our truck. That info and a cooler pretty much describes the basic equipment needed to travel.
    Speaking of Road habits, it is interesting to me that instead of looking for a Service Station for clean rest rooms, today's traveler seeks out a fastfood joint, or better yet a WalMart. It is amazing how my wife can recover from several hours of driving simply by taking a lap around the inside of a Supercenter !!!
    njMike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/03 20:25:43 (permalink)
    Al The Mayor...

You're right about the books and cooler.

Have you tried one of the electrothermic coolers? It plugs into the cigar lighter and keeps things cool inside. You can also get an AC adaptor for use in your motel room. Even neater, if you reverse the plug, it warms. So if you're taking hot food to an event, it will keep it warm, too. I think ours is an Igloo, but Coleman and others make them, too.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/03 20:53:28 (permalink)
    Regardless of Opinion, "Culvers" was fun and hospital clean. the custard was wonderful and the butter burgers were super and I appreciate their cleanliness

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/03 22:12:35 (permalink)
    NJMike, How many things can you plug into the lighter socket... I have
    1. Radar detector
    2. Cell Phone charger
    3. Digital Camera charger
    4. Radio scanner tuned to railroad freqs.
    Now I need a 'Live' cooler and a GPS unit!!!
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/04 20:03:57 (permalink)
    Custard in Milwaukee is a way of life. Bella's Fat Cat on Brady is a worthy new contender in the frozen custard zone, and an old standby is The Farm Family Restaurant on Hwy. 20 in Racine, Wis. Oscar's has really good stuff, too. Here's a list of their flavors of the day. I'm a sucker for the Drumstick variety. http://www.oscarscustard.com/docs/flavors.html

I also really like Kopp's, of course, and I am eating some Culver's vanilla right now.

I used to always get 31 Flavor's Chocolate/Peanut Butter ice cream. I liked it 'cause the peanut butter was kind of hard and a little salty.
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1453
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/05 09:42:42 (permalink)
    Our favorite flavor is Purity Ice Cream of Ithaca's Cinnammon. It goes great with holiday pies and desserts. Otherwise, give me good old french vanilla with lots of butterfat :)
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/08 21:30:32 (permalink)
    Hello Southern Folks frozen custard has made it to Raliegh N C a chain but really good its named GOODBERRYS !
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/08 21:49:32 (permalink)
    I wish Goodberry's was in Knoxville, The best we hve is Dairy Queen which is good, but it ain't custard. I wish we had Wisconsin custard here.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/11 18:03:13 (permalink)
    Blue Bell ice cream out of Brenham, TX is the brand I buy 99% of the time. I don't know how far out of the "chosen land" (TX ) they sell, but if you can't get it where you live, have some next time you're down here! They were the original creamery to concoct Cookies n' Cream (crumbled Oreo's in Vanilla), and the first time I had it, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. Over the years, though, my favorite flavor is Blue Bell Natural Vanilla Bean. It has tiny little flecks of the roasted vanilla bean all throughout, and no "unnatural" flavors added. Although my wife ruins it by pouring chocolate syrup on top, I like mine "straight up". However, adding a few chocolate-covered expresso beans ain't too bad!!
    mobley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/12 14:24:48 (permalink)
    Anyone here been to Carl's Frozen Custard in Fredericksburg VA? During the Summer the place is slammed. Some people I knew in the DC area told me about it and now it's a "must stop"..The flavors are pretty basic, but it sure is good.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/12 17:53:35 (permalink)
    Guernsey Ice Cream, Northville Michigan
    Flavor of choice, Butter Pecan made them famous, but I also seen
    the Pink Grapefruit ice cream in the freezer where they dip the cones.
    Alinosi Ice Cream, Grosse Pte Woods, Michigan
    spumoni
    Herron
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/13 11:51:50 (permalink)
    We used to live in walking distance of Guernsey Dairy (Northville, MI) and visited far too often . Ray's Ice Cream in Royal Oak, MI is also superb (especially the cinnamon and lemon ice cream).

If you are in the Detroit area and want the best custard, visit Erma's in Utica, MI. It is open in the summer through October (when the special is delicious pumpkin custard). Chocolate and vanilla custard is available every week. They offer weekly specials, including Wild Erma which is custard packed with fresh fruit.

Erma's is an outdoor stall with wooden signs describing how its specialties are constructed. While Ted Drewes in St. Louis is wonderful, we give the nod to Erma's.
    Baldyeaglehead
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/13 13:26:13 (permalink)
    The custard at Leon's in Milwaukee is the best if you prefer chocolate or vanilla, as I do. If you are into variety, Culvers and Kopp's are great! Now that winter is finally over in Wisconsin, I can do my favorite routine, have a cheeseburger and fries at Mazo's, walk across the street to Leon's for a chocolate cone, and waddle 4 blocks home.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/13 20:03:27 (permalink)
    In Cincinnati, Graeter's is the quality ice cream of choice. Manufactured by the old "French Pot" method (for "chip" flavors, the chocolate is poured, molten, into the pot while the mixture stirs, making for chunkier-than-chunky ice cream), Graeter's is simply the finest ice cream I've ever tasted. And I've tasteda lot.

Each month, there is a flavor of the month, ranging from the obviously seasonal (Peppermint Stick in December) to the obscure but wonderful (Cherry Cordial in February). I love the chip flavors, but no flavor the company manufactures has the allegiance of the few, the proud, the militant who diligently wait until August for the Cocoanut flavor. Local columnist Laura Pulfer can tell you better than I what happened when Cocoanut was cancelled as flavor of the month.

http://www.enquirer.com/columns/pulfer/1999/08/05/lp_everything_just.html

I should mention that Cocoanut, when combined with Graeter's superb bittersweet chocolate sauce, makes one heckuva "Mounds Sundae."

VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/13 21:28:27 (permalink)
    *creepy music goes here*

I was just extolling the virtues of Graeter's to a friend in SoCal not ten minutes ago. The black raspberry chocolate chip has to be one of the best ice cream flavors of all time. Their low-overrun method really makes superb ice cream.

In the NW, there are a couple of favorites of mine. I love Tillamook, especially the Lemon Angel Food Cake flavor (which they don't sell through distribution in half-gallons because its delicate lemon ice cream and chewy chunks of real angel food cake tend to pick up funky flavors. Another regional brand that really makes me drool is Umpqua, out of Roseburg, OR, who makes Ol' South Fudge Pie, which is mocha ice cream, bittersweet fudge ripple, chocolate bits and either chocolate wafers or cake pieces (it's been awhile, and now I'm drooling again).

Delsa's Ice Cream of Boise, ID used to be spectacular - it has changed hands since my last visit, so please don't hold me to blood on it, but it was wonderful high-butterfat ice cream with great flavors. I remember in the late 70's/early 80's a plea from local orthodontists to change the licorice ice cream from it's coal-black hue to something else (it ended up turquoise, to my memory) to stop staining behind the braces of unsuspecting consumers.

Eric

rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/14 02:02:14 (permalink)
    I took to making my own ice cream many years ago. The reason was to match desserts with good flavours. Coconut-banana cream pie needed chocolate bourbon ice cream. Strawberry shortcake wanted almond amerreto, triple chocolate mousse cake didn't need but recieved red currant ice cream. All time favourite is caramel that even my kids like. Once you get the base down, any flavour is possible.
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/22 20:31:37 (permalink)
    For ice cream the best is Taggart's Ice Cream Shoppe on Fulton Road in Canton, Ohio. I worked there 35 plus years ago made all of 90cents per hour, came in early once to do my homework, I think the owner thought I was going to quit, so he called me down to his office (in the basement) and gave me a nickel raise, or what amounted to a $1.50
    more a week. We made our own ice cream, which was up to 22% butterfat, also made are own sherberts. The absolute best ice creams' were choclate pecan, butter pecan, vanilla and coffee. The best sherbert as fresh pineapple It was pretty heady stuff to be all of 15 yoa and making ice cream. The worst were rum raisin and orange pineapple We also made all of or own sauces, choclate, hot fudge, maple walnut, etc. Soda pops were also handmade, coke syrup then filled with fizzy water, same with rootbeer, cherry, lime fizz, etc. The best confectionary was the BITTNER SPECIAL, 5 scoops of vanilla ice cream,
    a squirt or two of homemade choclate sauce, blended, then mixed and poured (read spooned) in to an old fashioned soda glass, and then put a scoop of pecans on top. When my dad came in I always put a lot of extra pecans in the mixture and on the top.

When I was hired I was told I would soon learn to hate ice cream. I ate at least two helpings a day, for the two years I worked there.I still love ice cream. Actually it is my downfall.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/22 20:46:38 (permalink)
    Great Story CCJPO: How did you do the recipe and validate 22% butterfat?

Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/22 21:50:31 (permalink)
    rumbelly, have you ever tried just a simple "strawberry-banana" mix? I don't know why, but when I make my own, that mix has always been my favorite. There's just something about those two flavors together that really works for me. When peaches are in season, adding those to the mix, or just peaches by themselves, makes an absolutely wonderful ice cream.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/22 21:57:01 (permalink)
    I stay at the Marriott facilities and they always have strawberry-banana yogart. It is really good and I can see why you like it. In addition the have the peaches yogart and it is equally delicous. I am sure it is equally good in ice cream.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/23 07:07:00 (permalink)
    Bushie;
    Sounds great I guess the bananas give it a creamy texture. Will try next spin so to speak.
    Cosmos
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/23 11:24:46 (permalink)
    Oh,I forgot our other fav: Hershey Ice Cream (no relation) Moose Tracks. Its vanilla filled with swirls of fudge and mini peanut butter cups. Another Hershey fav is Dinali Fudge. Its vanilla with ribbons of fudge...sinful. The vanilla is another wonderful high butter fat product.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/23 13:36:18 (permalink)
    Cosmos,
    The Alaskan named products are apparently owned or leased out to different ice cream producers. In SoCal we had all the flavors..Moose Tracks, Cariboo Crunch, etc, but under the DREYER's label. here in Indiana BLUE BONNRT makes them. Another regional specialization??
    AL
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/23 13:38:52 (permalink)
    Al, I wondered why everybody had the same name for their product. Thanks for the info.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/23 15:09:10 (permalink)
    Currently something like 85 dairies license MooseTracks and associated flavors from a Michigan-based company. It's similar to the Goo-Goo Cluster model that was in place in the 80s, except I'm not sure that Denali Flavors actually manufactures any of the components - I think they sublicense the formulae to other, larger, ice cream ingredient vendors.

Eric, who admits the peanut butter components are pretty good.
    Cosmos
    RE: The Flavor... it's the flavor !!! 2003/04/24 16:58:44 (permalink)
    Wow, I never heard of that, nor had anyone else's version to compare. Hershey does make a great base product as their ice cream is creamy and flavorful. I normally don't go for the added stuff but the chocolate fudge is a velvety melt in your mouth experience, and yeah the peanut butter cups are great too.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1