The Food Channel

Author
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
2003/11/06 08:51:56 (permalink)

The Food Channel

Did a quick search and could not find any posts regarding the 24/7 opportunities to watch Food TV. We seem to watch more and more of it. Any favorites for the forum members?

28 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/06 09:01:23 (permalink)
    dendan, this thread pretty much covered your question. As always, PLENTY of opinions.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=483
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/06 09:03:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Bushie. I took a look. Seems like there would be more or a continuing discussion on the shows. Maybe I watch too much TV and not on the PC as much.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4585
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/06 10:41:16 (permalink)
    I noticed that there now only seem to be about 5 shows, all repeated endlessly. The variety seems to be extinct. There's no sense of place and time. The only show I make a point to tune in is "A Cook's Tour", with Anthony Bourdain. I always wish I were along on his travels. Don't know whether I could eat bugs like he does, though
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/06 10:43:06 (permalink)
    Agree - Bourdain does take it a bit further than most. But half the fun is the travel portion of the show.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/08 11:19:44 (permalink)
    Have you seen the newer episodes? I like the older style where things weren't so "staged". I heard that Brad Pitt may be starring in a movie about Bourdain's life.
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/09 11:47:45 (permalink)
    It always seems that my favorite programs are on the least. Barefoot Contessa, Paula Dean's Southern Cooking and Jacque Torres are usually on Saturday only. I'd be more than willing to give up some of Emeril. They give him way too much air time.
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1181
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/09 11:52:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LizzieR

It always seems that my favorite programs are on the least. Barefoot Contessa, Paula Dean's Southern Cooking and Jacque Torres are usually on Saturday only. I'd be more than willing to give up some of Emeril. They give him way too much air time.

I know. And the other thing is that they'll take a new show, like the new Mario Batali American/Italian show, and put it on at 10:30 Wednesday. We're all in bed by then. I know I could tape it, but...I'm trying not to tape too much to avoid being centered on watching TV......I loved Batali's show in Italy and have looked forward to this....I enjoy Emeril, but by having him on every night at 8 they're kind of telling all their other talent that they don't rank....
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/09 13:42:31 (permalink)
    Like many of you here, the subject matter implied by "the Food Channel" is near and dear to my heart. I love food and I like to talk about it qand learn about it almost as much as I love to eat it. All that being said.....

I have reached the point to where I think the food channel is one of the dullest things on TV. All of the "best of" shows seem to have no real relation to what is really good, the "food finds" shows don't seem to be finding anything very good, and I already know how much junk food Americans eat, so why should I care about how it is made?
    The "hosts" in some of these shows are never at the site, they are just reading a script over stock video tape. I think this type of programming is better off being on the "Shameless Promotion" channel running on channel two in some hotel room.

I do like Tony Bourdain. Alot. He is intuitive about food, a great writer, and a generally funny guy and appeals to me greatly. I like Jaques Torres and also enjoy Sara Moulton, as she clearly knows what she is doing and cooks things I would like to eat most of the time. While Emeril is an aquaintance and someone I admire, I don't get much out of his show, although I love all three of his places in New Orleans. The guy knows his way around the pots and pans. And as far as Paula Dean and the Barefoot Contessa go, those shows just seem like really poor versions of "Two Fat Ladies", which was a wonderful program. I like Mario and enjoy his restaurants. Malto Mario is a good show with some great cooking going on. I like the 'Sweets" lady as well, but her name escapes me at the moment.

I guess, if I could wish a perfect food channel, that it would be more like Alton Brown or Sara Moulton. My interest lies more in learning about technique and the reason behind why things are automatically done a certain way, than in the best hot dog in Dubuque, Iowa.

But on the plus side, at least they got rid of that "Cissy" woman who used to host Ready, Set,Cook (now THERE was a dumb show). I guess she is back to doing local weather in Scranton. Where she belonged all along.

Later, I will post what I really think
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/10 11:26:38 (permalink)
    I used to watch a lot of the Food Channel, but don't find myself doing so much anymore. I'd have to agree that there is too much focus on just a few shows - an hour of Emeril at 8 every night is excessive enough, but then they show him at various other times as well. I'm always happy to see a local boy make good, but please, something else. They also seem to have a lot of new bland and characterless shows that fill the off-hours: perky cook/hosts in a generic studio kitchen doing who knows what - I never stay to find out. Rachel Ray, who I find a bit annoying, almost falls into this category, but I have to admit she has more of a hook to her shows than most. Now they're showing the fun Alton Brown every weekday - at 11:30 PM! I usually only make it through the Daily Show at 11 before fallng asleep, but if I do stay up later it's going to be to do something more worthwhile that watch a cooking show. Sorry, A.B.

I'm not even going to get into their attempt to ride the reality/contest show craze. I love Iron Chef as much as the next person, but whose idea was "Date Plate"?
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/10 11:56:43 (permalink)
    Ok I admit it .... I'm a Food Network junky !! I love to watch it and I don't care what show it is !!! I do like Bourdain, Batali and Brown the best. Some of the other shows do drag on a bit, but overall it still beats most of what else is on !! Especially on the "NETWORK" channels !!!!

So if I'm not reading, I'm watching Food Network (with TV Land a close second) !!
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/10 12:05:36 (permalink)
    I think when they think they've got hold of a good concept, they just beat it to death.

I.E., if I see another episode of Unwrapped, I may come Unglued.
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/10 16:05:26 (permalink)
    In reply to jmckee's comment about Emeril and telling the other talent that they "don't rank". I've been in radio & television for 30 years. Many of them as a program director. Radio & TV is a business except for it's hand-out cousin PBS. You put your best-rated best pull on in your prime time. It's that simple. Emeril is their best puller for audience and dollars. Believe me, if anyone could out pull Emeril, he would be on in another place. But nobody has that pull there. Emeril's audience and resulting commercial income makes the other shows possible.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/10 16:58:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Mayhaw Man writes the "food finds" shows don't seem to be finding anything very good

I will stick up for Sara Pickney's "Food Finds." To be sure, it has its flaws. The production values are rather generic, and she herself can be hard to take at times - relentlessly cheerful and enthusiastic. But she does go to the sites she features, even if she doesn't often interact with the people on camera (this has a positive side; the segments tend to be more about the producers and their food than about her mugging for the camera, as happens on other shows.) The people she features are almost always small local producers. There is a tendency toward favoring confectioners, bakeries and the like, but I wouldn't call what she features "junk food" in the manner of the mass-produced stuff on "Unwrapped." It mostly looks like good stuff, local cheeses, pastries and the like. I certainly don't mind being given ordering information at the end of the program - many of these foods are exactly the sort I would like to support myself. I know that when she did a segment on southern New England, she features Kenyon Mills and their johnnycake meal. No complaints from me - that's just the sort of typical local product folks around here eat and cherish. I will agree that there are other programs out there that use a similar formula without being as good, though. I do enjoy the cooking shows (when done well), but I'm also interested in learning about the best hot dogs in Dubuque - hey, that's one reason I'm hanging around this website. Best to all,

JL
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/10 23:23:19 (permalink)
    Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I kind of enjoy the Food Channel. It's elevator music for the eyes--read a newspaper or book, look up periodically to see if there's anything interesting on. . . . If I see a good-looking recipe I'll check it out, then maybe do a search for similar ones. Beats the hell out of CNN.
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/11 08:13:28 (permalink)
    Slightly ot, I remember a PBS cookpng show, Floyd on Food . Insane brit, Lots of drinking , Combat cooking . Always flat out, Burners up all the way. All the time . Things burning ,Cacthing on fire. Food tasted, Declared crap and thrown out.Pure chaos. All in all great fun.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/11 08:41:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Argent

Slightly ot, I remember a PBS cookpng show, Floyd on Food . Insane brit, Lots of drinking , Combat cooking . Always flat out, Burners up all the way. All the time . Things burning ,Cacthing on fire. Food tasted, Declared crap and thrown out.Pure chaos. All in all great fun.

I loved that show. It was hysterical. I have a tape on him and several of his cookbooks. I will never forget the show where he was "half-tanked" and took over the cooking of an omelet in a kitchen in France. The housewife was quite indignant that he was showing HER how to cook a good omelet![url][/url]
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/11 13:08:59 (permalink)
    I'm getting tired of Unwrapped as well. I love Jamie Oliver and have worked my way through one of his cookbooks. But, I'm not find of his Twist show. The old ones were much better.

As for Food Finds, I'm glad someone else noticed how generic the production values are. Ditto for Best Of. I stopped watching it due to the obnoxious use of stock music. The hosts are dorks as well. I'd love to see Jill Cordez spend an afternoon with Tony Bourdain, happily eating grasshoppers and drinking goopy Mexican hooch.

I used to wonder why Jane and Michael didn't get hooked up on Food Network. Now I'm glad they really didn't.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 09:53:23 (permalink)
    I have been watching the food channel since its inception. Over the past few years I have slowly but surely curtailed my watching time. This due to the selection of shows by the program staff. Some of the older offerings such as restaurant reviews from across the country with Alan Richman and Nina Griscom were so real. You actually heard them comment on the quality of the dishes being tasted. Not every piece of chicken or fish or steak or dessert was fabulous, over the top. Some dishes they actually did not like very much. With food finds and other current shows like this, Everything is incredibly fantastic. The viewer is left with nothing to determine an understanding of the hosts tastes or why something is soo good and other dishes are not. Tony Bourdain is an exception to this phenomenon. He tells it like it is. If it tastes like sawdust, he says it tastes like sawdust. He therefore comes across as real and credible. I also liked David Rosengarten. He would analyze and truly give you a sense of the different methods and techniques that went into a particlar dish. Alton is good. Two Fat Ladies was another good show. Emeril is way overexposed. I would think he would be more desirable if he were on an hour a day, instead of six hours. Bobby Flay is too slick for me. I rather see Jack McDavid replace him. The only thing good about Martha is her guests. Rachael Ray is a foxy little thing, even if her cooking is on the primitive side. So much to say about the food channel and so little time. I simply wish they would chuck those shows which feature how to make taffy for a variety of new or established chefs and cooks and restaurant critics. It would be much more cutting edge.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 10:35:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

Tony Bourdain is an exception to this phenomenon. He tells it like it is. If it tastes like sawdust, he says it tastes like sawdust. He therefore comes across as real and credible.

The Food Channel and Tony Bourdain failed to come to an agreement about continuing their relationship. This was announced by AB on another board yesterday. Apparently he did not have any interest in going on if he could not control content and show ideas. He is shopping around the remaining episodes and will continue somewhere.

I find this encouraging actually, as I think that the show would be even better in a longer format with less "dramatic recreations" and just a camera and a boom mike following him around eating, smoking, and drinking.

For an example of how great this can be, check out the first Vietnamese episode. He eats dinner with a family way up in the Mekong Delta (some kind of mud baked duck) and starts into a drinking contest with Grampa. Both of these men are clearly enjoying themselves and the family is as well. Not one shred of condesention or "look how strangely these people behave, let's watch and laugh". Just mutual respect and a whole lot of good natured humor. And some really giant cigarettes rolled up by Grandma (picture Luckies that look like bannanas). He is an interesting writer and a decent travel guide. I look forward to wherever he turns up next.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 11:01:53 (permalink)
    So long Tony, it's been good to know 'ya. That would figure, wouldn't it? Before this website, and before the HGTV "slickness" invaded Food TV, I too used to wish Jane & Michael could show their travels, equiped with a video camera and nothing else. It's now clear why that didn't and wouldn't happen.
    Over on another food related board right now, a Food TV producer is
    soliciting for places that serve "elegant, upscale, sandwiches". the kind with no crusts, of course. He's only asking in NYC and LA which pretty much sums up why Food TV is unwatchable. 48 other states and all we get is the 2 most overexposed places in the country.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 11:47:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

So long Tony, it's been good to know 'ya. That would figure, wouldn't it? Before this website, and before the HGTV "slickness" invaded Food TV, I too used to wish Jane & Michael could show their travels, equiped with a video camera and nothing else. It's now clear why that didn't and wouldn't happen.
    Over on another food related board right now, a Food TV producer is
    soliciting for places that serve "elegant, upscale, sandwiches". the kind with no crusts, of course. He's only asking in NYC and LA which pretty much sums up why Food TV is unwatchable. 48 other states and all we get is the 2 most overexposed places in the country.

C'mon, that's not fair. Where is it? Inquiring minds want to know (and make fun of)
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 11:56:38 (permalink)
    It's- http://www.chowhound.com/main.html
    -and scroll through the LA board. I think it's OK to mention them, as they have a link to Roadfood. They need you on the NO board, MM.
    It's sort of the opposite of here since it's geographically oriented instead of subject oriented.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 12:02:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

The Food Channel and Tony Bourdain failed to come to an agreement about continuing their relationship. This was announced by AB on another board yesterday. Apparently he did not have any interest in going on if he could not control content and show ideas. He is shopping around the remaining episodes and will continue somewhere.

I find this encouraging actually, as I think that the show would be even better in a longer format with less "dramatic recreations" and just a camera and a boom mike following him around eating, smoking, and drinking.

Wow. Hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info.

I agree that this could turn into something really good. When you hear of further developments, please let us know.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 12:42:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

It's- http://www.chowhound.com/main.html
    -and scroll through the LA board. I think it's OK to mention them, as they have a link to Roadfood. They need you on the NO board, MM.
    It's sort of the opposite of here since it's geographically oriented instead of subject oriented.

Actually, they have me on there occasionally. Ison't post there very often though, primarily because I prefer the company of friends (or at least erudite opponents) and prefer to not get slagged repeatedly if I post an opinion that someone feels like starting a "piling on" effect. I read it alot though.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 12:55:41 (permalink)
    I'll second that. There's a continual battle between good food and "hip" food, it seems. Maybe that's why it's enjoyable here. Even when we disagree, we have fun.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 14:28:41 (permalink)
    Must agree with Bill and Mayhaw Man. I browse and occasionally post on chowhound. However I find the website unwieldy to use and somewhat impersonal. Roadfood is a site that is welcoming and friendly.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 16:02:18 (permalink)
    A little history: FoodTV turns 10 this month. This article is syndicated by the Chicago Tribune; should be available on this link for a week.

I've watched so much of FoodTV over the past several months not much of it appeals to me right now .

, and now, here is the link, he posted editingly:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/food/2208878
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3899
    RE: The Food Channel 2003/11/12 16:25:19 (permalink)
    Interesting article, hermitt4d! Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1