The Gourmet Sandwich Shop

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2419
2011/04/16 08:32:19 (permalink)

The Gourmet Sandwich Shop

Going back about 20 to 25 years ago, the Gourmet Sandwich shop was the in thing. I wouldn't  compare it to a Deli, because the Deli was more like Carved Pastrami, Corned beef, quality meats and cheeses and not so much of the vegetable toppings. The Gourmet Sandwich Shop was more into sliced meats, maybe "Boar's head" selection of bread and cheese and an array of vegetable topping such as, Alf sprouts, Avocado, tomato, lettuce, spinach, onion,  cucumber slices,and so on. I would see these places all over town, In fact I opened a restaurant in Hawaii with this kind of menu and I made menus in a few places in Washington State using this concept. My question is, in this day and age when everything is leaning towards fresh this and that, why is everyone eating Subway and not the great breads, cold cuts, cheeses and vegetable topping  that were offered in the sandwich shop ???? I am missing a few of my favorite topping on this sandwich, but all in all, this is the way I make my sandwiches at home. I have to start buying more topping, they give a good crunch to the sandwich. This sandwich is also low in calories and good for you. Do you still see the Gourmet Sandwich Shops in your Town ????????????................
This is a Tuna salad sandwich on wheat........

I asked my wife why don't we have deviled eggs more often, she agreed..

On white, but still good.......

I put the Mushrooms on the sandwich in honor of my good friend Michael Hoffman...
post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/04/16 08:42:04

12 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 09:11:27 (permalink)
    You know, I dont see many good gourmet sandwich shops around anymore. I dont think they could compete with the price points of the zillions of Subway shops around, which I find inferior. Bob and I are old school, I guess-we will pay for good food, not eat something mediocre because its cheap. Your sandwiches look divine.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 09:24:21 (permalink)
    Lettuce and tomatoes on a tuna salad sandwich? Why would you set out to ruin something good?
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 09:37:40 (permalink)
    I'd love to have those sandwiches and deviled eggs right now minus the mushrooms, with my apologies to Mr. Hoffman.   I can't relate to the love affair with Subway and other chain "delis" either.  Serve a quality sandwich like those pictured and I gladly pay the freight. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 09:51:19 (permalink)
    No apologies required. He adds mushrooms because he knows I'm allergic to them. He wants me dead, you see.
    pnwchef
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 10:21:35 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

No apologies required. He adds mushrooms because he knows I'm allergic to them. He wants me dead, you see.

I could not have said it better myself !!!!!!!!!
    pnwchef
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 10:29:18 (permalink)
    My wife called me from the market yesterday asking me if I wanted anything. I asked for Wheat bread, Black forrest Ham and White American cheese. She called back and said they only have yellow. I said whatever, get what they have. I wanted the American cheese sliced from the Deli loaf of cheese. She gets home, this is what she found in the deli case, already sliced and sealed.

I may be stupid, but I know the difference between white and yellow. When I was taking the picture of the cheese, she walked by the kitchen and shook her head and said, I think your loosing it. I thought she was going to say, the cows aren't going to milk themselves. My answer would have been, we have steers..............pnwc
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 10:54:02 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

I could not have said it better myself !!!!!!!!!

But you'll work on it.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 12:50:10 (permalink)
    As I recall, the Carvery/Cutting Board concept of the late 70's through the 80's had a principally narrow demographic of mid 20-40's women. The faux rustic wood, country style logos,plastic florals, and forrest green decor along with the artisan whole grain breads and fluffy leaf romaine and alfalfa didn't draw college age students or working class males very well and became quite cliche'.

PNWCHEF 

My question is, in this day and age when everything is leaning towards fresh this and that, why is everyone eating Subway and not the great breads, cold cuts, cheeses and vegetable topping  that were offered in the sandwich shop ???? I am missing a few of my favorite topping on this sandwich, but all in all, this is the way I make my sandwiches at home. I have to start buying more topping, they give a good crunch to the sandwich. This sandwich is also low in calories and good for you. Do you still see the Gourmet Sandwich Shops in your Town ????????????................
    This is a Tuna salad sandwich on wheat........

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 14:57:45 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

D'oh!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 15:38:34 (permalink)
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/16 16:37:22 (permalink)
    Very nice, Foodbme. Ajs fine foods seems to appeal to me the most...
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:The Gourmet Sandwich Shop 2011/04/17 01:33:11 (permalink)
    annpeeples

Very nice, Foodbme. Ajs fine foods seems to appeal to me the most...

They have very nice stores - 1st Class- and prices to match.
    You just go up to the sandwich counter and tell them how you want them to build it and it's done. They have a standard sandwich menu too. All very good.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1