The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Great American Hot Dog Book

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
The Great American Hot Dog Book Fri, 03/30/07 8:49 PM (permalink)
This is the title of a new book that will be hitting bookstores soon. I was sent an advance copy that I just finished reading. An excellent book about hot dogs that is well researched, well written, and a fun and easy read. It is published by Gibbs Smith of Layton, Utah and written by Becky Mercuri. See here for more info:http://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Hot-Dog-Book/dp/1423600223/ref=sr_1_3/103-7009109-8546260?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174700044&sr=1-3

The book starts out by giving a history of the American Hot Dog and debunking urban legends and myths. Well documented, this is a fine history and introduction to the regional styles and descriptions of hot dogs that follow. The chapters include hot dogs of the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Great Plains, West and Southwest, and Pacific. Ms. Mercuri not only describes the types of hot dogs popular in each region, but gives names, descriptions, and histories of hot dog establishments all across the nation. Not only a handy road trip guide, but also a cookbook as well, sharing recipes for wieners, sauces, chilis, slaws, relishes, side dishes and more.

This book will appeal not only to hardcore frank fanatics, but to anyone who likes hot dogs and has an appreciation for history. Not to mention the many cooks who might want to reproduce a relish, chili, or side dish from a favorite hot dog joint. There's even a recipe for Italian Hot Dogs! I heartily recommend this book.

bbqjimbob

• Total Posts: 428
    RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Fri, 03/30/07 11:11 PM (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to reading it. As for one of those urban legends and myths that it debunks- let me guess- that earthosorbate (sp?) is nightcrawlers?!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
      RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Sat, 03/31/07 7:22 AM (permalink)
      WoW, You guys have your own bible now?
      Sounds like a fun read. Chow Jim

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Sat, 03/31/07 10:49 AM (permalink)
        Thanks John! Looks like a good read.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
          RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Sat, 03/31/07 8:26 PM (permalink)
          Thanks. I just ordered it.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
            RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Tue, 04/3/07 7:06 PM (permalink)
            <<The chapters include hot dogs of the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Great Plains, West and Southwest, and Pacific. Ms. Mercuri not only describes the types of hot dogs popular in each region, but gives names, descriptions, and histories of hot dog establishments all across the nation.>>

John: How accurate would you say it is with the stuff you are the expert on, like NJ Hot Dogs and places? That's usually my measuring stick with any book I'm thinking of buying. If they are way off base with the stuff I know about, how accurate could it be with everything else? --Ken

John Fox

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 12:23 PM (permalink)
              The book is very accurate. Becky Mercuri did her homework. She spent an awful lot of time researching hot dog history as well as the history of the places mentioned. She spoke with many of the owners of the hot dog establishments included and has created recipes that are knockoffs of some of the popular condiments and toppings found at places like Rutt's Hut, Blackies, and the many Texas Weiner or Coney Island type restaurants. Roadfood is mentioned too, as Mrs. Mercuri is familiar with our favorite web site.

genewj

• Total Posts: 370
                RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 12:26 PM (permalink)
                I ordered one on the internet.

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 12:48 PM (permalink)
                  Mine arrived a little while ago. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

John Fox

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 12:52 PM (permalink)
                    Wow, that was fast! It should be in the bookstores soon acccording to Becky Mercuri. Mid April I think, although my local Barnes & Noble said they will have it April 28.

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 5:09 PM (permalink)
                      Hey, John, I see that you're quoted in the book. Hmph! New Jersey has the best hotdogs. Balderdash!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                        RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 5:43 PM (permalink)
                        John: Thanks for the reply to my question, I'm going to put the book on my birthday list for later this month. ---Ken

John Fox

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 7:10 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Hey, John, I see that you're quoted in the book. Hmph! New Jersey has the best hotdogs. Balderdash!

Indeed. Or as the author put it, "Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York are considered the Holy Trinity of Tube Steaks, although anyone from Chicago would hotly debate this claim." Although I do like the variety of hot dogs available in Jersey (and would say that N.J. has the best dogs) I was quoted as saying that Jersey is "the hot dog capital of the world... serving a wide diversity of hot dogs ranging from Texas weiners, Italian hot dogs, kosher style all beef, New Jersey deep-fried... and quality beef pork griddle franks."

You gotta admit, at least it's at the epicenter of the hot dog universe.

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 7:25 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by John Fox

quote:
                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Indeed. Or as the author put it, "Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York are considered the Holy Trinity of Tube Steaks, although anyone from Chicago would hotly debate this claim." Although I do like the variety of hot dogs available in Jersey (and would say that N.J. has the best dogs) I was quoted as saying that Jersey is "the hot dog capital of the world... serving a wide diversity of hot dogs ranging from Texas weiners, Italian hot dogs, kosher style all beef, New Jersey deep-fried... and quality beef pork griddle franks."

You gotta admit, at least it's at the epicenter of the hot dog universe.

Well, as a Connecticut native banished to Ohio I'll agree that you have a few good hotdogs in New Jersey. Then again, when living in Ohio, what else could I say?

John Fox

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 7:39 PM (permalink)
                              There are about 4 pages devoted to Ohio. The popular Cincinnati chili and Coney Dogs are mentioned as is Tony Packo's Cafe. Ever been to Tony Packo's?

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 9:07 PM (permalink)
                                Yes, I have been to Tony Packo's -- several times. The hotdogs are OK, lots of snap, but the relish and the sauce are terrific.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                  RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                  Saturday, September 15, 2007...the 4th Annual N.J. Hot Dog Tour. Where believers are made.

"Next to the race at Monte Carlo, the concours d'elegance at Pebble Beach, and the festival at Cannes, my favorite event."
                                  The Bear

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 04/4/07 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                    Received mine today and already enjoy it. John: great tip on the book and you deserve the mention you receive in it!

TnGuy

• Total Posts: 71
                                      RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Thu, 04/5/07 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                      John:

Thanks for bringing this to my/our attention. I just placed an order for a copy. My wife and I enjoy traveling around the US and this should be a great resource to have. I look forward to reading and learning - and following that up with plenty of tasting and enjoying!!!

Hope all is doing well with John and family.

David

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                                        RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Sat, 04/21/07 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                        I ordered a copy 10days ago... patiently still waiting. Thanks!

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
                                          RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Sun, 03/16/08 5:23 PM (permalink)
                                          Great call on this book John. Our local library just got it in and I enjoyed it so much I bought my own copy for the recipes.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                            RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Sun, 03/16/08 6:04 PM (permalink)
                                            I just ordered one myself...Russ

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                              RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Mon, 03/17/08 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                              my kind of book. Thanks John!

loucrew

• Total Posts: 30
                                                RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 03/19/08 5:26 AM (permalink)
                                                Just ordered my copy. Will be here on Thurs.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                                  RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 03/19/08 5:29 AM (permalink)
                                                  Thanks for the tip....I'm gonna enjoy it!!!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                                    RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Tue, 03/25/08 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                                    I just received the copy I ordered from Amazon. There are many excellent recipes in the book. This is a must own book for any fan of Hot Dogs! ...Russ

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                                      • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
                                                      RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Tue, 03/25/08 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                                      Is there anything in there about Carolina style dogs?

MiamiDon

RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Tue, 03/25/08 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Is there anything in there about Carolina style dogs?

Yes. She visits Buzzy and Bear's Grill in Huntersville, NC, and there is a recipe for "Piedmont-style NC Dogs and Coleslaw". Then she goes to Jay Bee's in Statesville, NC, and gives a recipe for an "NC BBQ Dog" and "Eastern NC Coleslaw".

South Carolina has City Billiards in Aiken, with a recipe for "Chili Dogs".

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                                          • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
                                                          RE: The Great American Hot Dog Book Wed, 03/26/08 1:38 PM (permalink)
                                                          thanks

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com