Helpful ReplyHot!The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/19 15:21:17 (permalink)
And we Chicagoans appreciate your benevolence.  Perhaps in time (say May1-3, 2015) you'll come to appreciate for yourself the glories of the Chicagostyle Hot Dog, run through the garden.

Or maybe you'll just have a grilled salami sandwich and be done with it.

Buddy
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/19 15:47:48 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse,

My dates listed were only the Friday date to denote the weekend. I will be in Cleveland all weekend for the Advanced RV Fest & Open House May 1-3. By that time I will hopefully have a new Advanced RV motorhome to show off. So this event we will not beg off.

That will be our third camper van this decade and the new one will enable us to be out on the road even more. We have been averaging more than 100 days per year and 20,000 miles of which 90%+ are on the "blue highways".
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/19 15:48:02 (permalink)
I'm having trouble filling in the Doodle poll on the iPad, but we would be available most dates except these:
March 14-15
April 4-5
May 9-10
May 23-25
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/19 15:57:29 (permalink)
Buddy,
I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to the visit. I have had the opportunity to eat one of those strange frankfurters, so I'll likely pass on the opportunity to try again. However, with the exception of anything with mushrooms (to which I am allergic) I can't wait to enjoy the richness of Chicago's other offerings.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/19 18:02:39 (permalink)
Davydd,
Sorry you can't join us for this event.  Cleveland is an emerging food town with a helluva lot of good grub.  There's no shortage of information here on Roadfood about where to go while you're visiting Cleveburg.  Between buffetbuster, wanderingjew, and myself, we've easily listed a couple of weeks worth of good eats.  And, of course, I know Nancy is originally from the area, so you know what you're doing.  Enjoy a Bearden's Burger and think of me.

Ralph Melton,
Sorry you're having problems with the Doodle Poll, but it's starting to look irrelevant.  ChiTownDiner seems to have hit on the ideal weekend.  Not a single objection for those dates (presumably, people will come in early for extra-curricular activities).  It's still early, and I'm hoping we'll get more responses from out-of-towners, especially those who attended the Chili Crawl, but for all intents and purposes, I think it's safe to mark your calendar for May 1-3, 2015.

Michael Hoffman,
Chicago is looking forward to seeing you too (although mostly Lisa).  Don't discount those "strange frankfurters" yet.  Once you walk into one of our many Hot Dog Joints and the heady aroma of 100%beefmustardonionrelishpickletomatosportpeppercelerysaltonapoppyseedbun infiltrates your sinuses it's near impossible not to eat one.  And yes, even without the CSD, you'll eat pretty darned good that weekend, guaranteed!

wanderingjew,
I've got my fingers crossed for good timing and cheap airfares!

Buddy
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/19 18:27:50 (permalink)
Bearden's was my wife's high school hangout. It is that old. We will be mostly on the east side in Willoughby.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/19 23:13:22 (permalink)
I'm looking forward to my first CSD!!
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/20 11:25:29 (permalink)
The weekend of May 15-16 is the only one that is truly bad for me at this point.
(plus Passover)
I found the doodle and dood it.
post edited by irisarbor - 2014/08/20 11:29:54
cookielover3
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 10:08:48 (permalink)
I like Uncle Bub's in Westmont.  I've gone a few times.  They have fantastic soup along with yummy 'que.  I have a bottle of their sauce in my fridge right now. Isn't Westmont a bit far out of Chicago to go just for bar b que?  There is a little place on the north side of Chicago called Rub bar b que and I like them a lot. 
schlotz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 11:19:57 (permalink)
Buddy,

Pencil me in as a tentative yes on your list. This sounds like a great weekend trip and I'd love to be able to check Burt's Place off my bucket list! And thanks again for the BBQ sauce from the Cincy Chili Crawl...it felt a bit roguish getting a bottle out of the trunk of a car with Illinois plates.

-Boyd
Fenix107
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 11:43:47 (permalink)
I am new to the group and am looking forward to meeting some of you. I think this is going to be the perfect time and place for me to do it. I have already marked it on my calendar.

Andy
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 11:54:30 (permalink)
Fenix107
I am new to the group and am looking forward to meeting some of you. I think this is going to be the perfect time and place for me to do it. I have already marked it on my calendar.

Andy

Welcome to Roadfood, Andy!!!  Hope you'll be able to join us!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 15:27:33 (permalink)
cookielover3,
Uncle Bub's does have some decent 'Que, and it is a fair piece outside Chicago's city limits.  I wasn't necessarily suggesting it as an actual stop on the tour.  It was more of a gentle poke at my good friend ChiTownDiner who is a big fan of Uncle Bub's and lives in Westmont.  CTD organized the Friday activities for the Cincinnati Chili Crawl (Bow down, mere mortals and pay tribute to the Mighty Spreadsheet!) and I'm hoping he'll choose to take an active role in planning the non-Hot Dog/Italian Beef stops for this event.

I haven't yet been to Rub up on Western Avenue, but have read enough good and bad reports, that I think it deserves a visit, just to form my own opinion.  It'll be tough to beat Smoque, at least as far as north side Barbecue goes.  If we include a BBQ stop in the Friday activities, my inclination would be toward a south side joint.

As for the geography issue, we covered a lot of ground in the Chili Crawl.  Granted, Chicago takes up a lot more square mileage than Cincinnati, but we'll need the extra travel time in between destinations to digest the food from the previous stop.

schlotz,
Glad you've got us on your calendar, this should be a heckuva good time.  Also happy you're enjoying our Bar-B-Que Sauce, in spite of it's upper Midwest origins.  If you think Illinois plates were out of place in Ohio, imagine the stares your Texas plates will garner here!  Don't worry, I'll protect you.

Fenix107,
Welcome aboard!  Just so you and all the other new, local Roadfooders are aware, there's already a group of Chicago and Milwaukee folks known as The Contingent.  We've been getting together for close to 10 years now in one form or another, sometimes organizing tours in Beer Town, other times the Cheeseheads come down here for a Chicago tour.  We usually do 2-4 themed tours each year, plus a handful of "one-stop" events along the way.

Keep an eye peeled on the Eat & Greet Forum for announcements and information on our next get together.  You probably won't need to wait until next May to break bread with your fellow Roadfooders.

I've already made some consultations with at least one expert in the area of CSDs (guess who), and a crawl list is starting to form.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2718
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 15:45:04 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Buddy,
I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to the visit. I have had the opportunity to eat one of those strange frankfurters, so I'll likely pass on the opportunity to try again. However, with the exception of anything with mushrooms (to which I am allergic) I can't wait to enjoy the richness of Chicago's other offerings.

MH -

Do not fear or disdain the CSD (the non-human version anyway). I don't think I ever consumed a Chicago Style Dog before my Contingent Initiation Ceremony. Oh the memories of that pride filled weekend (Thank you sir, may I have another).

Just do what I do when ordering a CSD. Ask them to hold all the crap and add catsup. Just make sure it's Heinz or it's not an authentic Chicago Style Dog.

jrp
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 16:38:14 (permalink)
Catsup on a hot dog? You're going to have to stop eating in North Carolina. Why, next thing you know you'll be wanting to eat pulled pork and other non-human foods.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2718
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 19:26:34 (permalink)
Oh. My mistake. Enjoy this instead.

Fenix107
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/21 20:44:06 (permalink)
Thanks for all of the kind greetings. Looking forward to anything that comes along that I can make.

Andy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/08/22 01:56:25 (permalink)
Fenix107,
Just checked Google maps and see you're way out west near Dekalb, just south of Sycamore.  We used to have friends who lived in Sycamore (he was an administrator for NIU's law school).  They threw a massive party every year for the Pumpkin Festival.  Their house was right on the parade route, so we could walk out of the house, onto the front lawn, Bloody Mary in hand, and watch the local marching bands and hand made floats pass by.  After the parade we went inside to watch the Bears play their latest victim (this was back when they were routinely good) while enjoying more Sunday brunch cocktails and food.

Those were good days, fondly remembered.  I hope you're able to enjoy the Pumpkin Festival and all the other delights offered by living in a small town attached to a university.

Hope we'll see you soon for a Contingent event.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/02 15:47:15 (permalink)
Hello all,

There hasn't been a lot of posting in this thread for a couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean we haven't been working on making this a great tour.  I've been turning to an array of experts for advice, including our own chicagostyledog, as I create the initial list of stops.  As of now, that list includes for Hot Dogs: Rand Red Hots, Poochie's, Red Hot Ranch, Big Guys Sausage, Jimmy's, and Fatso's Last Stand (a ChiTownDiner favorite).  The Italian Beef list includes: Johnnie's, Jay's, Freddy's, Duke's, Scatchell's, Buona Beef, Boston's, Luke's, and Al's.

Obviously, the list needs to be cut down.  Even if time and distance weren't an issue, limited belly space would prevent us from visiting all these stops in one day.  The ideal tour, I think, will have three stops for CSDs and three stops for Italian Beef sandwiches.  There's also a possibility of visiting the Vienna Beef plant and Outlet Store.  chicagostyledog is looking into that situation.

We will be doing "research" over the coming weeks and months to insure that the crawl in May will include only the best of the best.  Anyone interested in joining this time (and beef) consuming chore is welcome to join us.

The other consideration is a non-food stop, similar to the American Sign Museum visit in Cincinnati.  We need someplace where we can take a break and walk off a few calories without causing undue strain.  If anyone has any ideas, or has heard about some little known, out of the way place they think the group might enjoy, I'm open to suggestions.

Finally, I know there are some in the group who plan waaaaaay in advance.  Let me suggest, as you're considering where to stay, Rosemont and Des Plaines have a wealth of hotels and motels in all price ranges.  They are clustered around O'Hare Airport, and are very close to at least one of the stops that will be our starting point.

Keep watching this space for updates, and please keep your feedback coming

Buddy

post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2014/09/02 15:48:49
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/02 17:47:02 (permalink)
Buddy

Kudos to Jay's Beef

Chi Town Diner and I gave it a thumbs up when we visited back in 2011

Jay&#x27;s Beef Schiller Park IL by ohso37, on Flickr
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/02 18:05:43 (permalink)
Be still my heart!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/02 19:27:06 (permalink)
Buddy, Are there enough quality places that serve both dog & beef?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/02 20:50:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2014/09/02 21:07:33
joerogo,
I think it's a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" situation.  There are plenty of places that do both, but I can't think of many that do both well.  I'm told Paradise Pup does a pretty good Italian Beef sandwich to go along with their stellar CSDs, but I've excluded them from the list for reasons of practicality.  The Contingent visited the Pup in February, '13 and found it to be a tight squeeze with just 18 people.  If this tour is anything like the Cincinnati Chili Crawl, we'll be looking at 25 people or more.  The lines and limited space at PP make it less than desirable for our group.

Some speak highly of Portillo's CSDs and Italian Beef, and they do a perfectly acceptable job of both.  But if I'm going to show off my city's culinary treasures to a group of visitors from all over the country, I'm going to try do better than Portillo's.

Michael Hoffman,
No, do not be still your beating heart.  Keep it beating until at least May 4, 2015 or you'll miss the crawl.

wanderingjew,
If that photo isn't enough to inspire a return trip to Our Fair City, I don't know what is.  I'll be checking out Jay's along with a couple of others in the near future.

I just visited Buona Beef this afternoon and found it to be quite good.  Their Italian Beef has more of an assertive aromatic herb flavor than most others.  It was also one of the spiciest beef sandwiches I've had.  Probably a lot of crushed red pepper in their gravy (and no, regardless of it's visual similarities to the liquid served with a French Dip, it isn't "au jus", it's GRAVY).  It wasn't distressingly hot, but compared to other Italian Beefs, which are not especially known for their spiciness, this put a nice buzz on my lips.  Fries were institutional frozen variety, but cooked perfectly to compensate.

chicagostyledog and I will be sampling others on the list.  Anyone in the area interested in joining the research should PM me with available dates.

Buddy
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8496
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/02 21:29:16 (permalink)
I definately want to do this one........easy for me to get to Chicago by bus or train.
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/08 01:24:14 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Hello all,

There hasn't been a lot of posting in this thread for a couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean we haven't been working on making this a great tour.  I've been turning to an array of experts for advice, including our own chicagostyledog, as I create the initial list of stops.  As of now, that list includes for Hot Dogs: Rand Red Hots, Poochie's, Red Hot Ranch, Big Guys Sausage, Jimmy's, and Fatso's Last Stand (a ChiTownDiner favorite).  The Italian Beef list includes: Johnnie's, Jay's, Freddy's, Duke's, Scatchell's, Buona Beef, Boston's, Luke's, and Al's.

Obviously, the list needs to be cut down.  Even if time and distance weren't an issue, limited belly space would prevent us from visiting all these stops in one day.  The ideal tour, I think, will have three stops for CSDs and three stops for Italian Beef sandwiches.  There's also a possibility of visiting the Vienna Beef plant and Outlet Store.  chicagostyledog is looking into that situation.

We will be doing "research" over the coming weeks and months to insure that the crawl in May will include only the best of the best.  Anyone interested in joining this time (and beef) consuming chore is welcome to join us.

Buddy

I'm curious if you considered Michael's Hot Dogs in Highland Park for this event.

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/08 13:12:26 (permalink)
David,
I completely forgot about Michael's, mainly because it's not on my regular radar.  Also considered were Wolfy's, Wiener and Still Champion, Mustard's Last Stand, and Gene & Jude's.  There are some restrictions that enter into the equation when you're organizing an event for 25+ people in a caravan of cars.  Geography, time, and practicality will sometimes exclude some stops you might make on your own.

Nothing has been decided, but I'm leaning toward certain stops based on the different examples of the CSD they offer.  So far, the strong contenders include Rand Red Hots (an excellent version of the "minimalist" CSD and outstanding Fries), Poochie's (for the classic CSD.  Also their extensive menu, including a Grilled Salami Sandwich and great Cheddar Fries), and Big Guys Sausage (in the absence of Hot Doug's, they offer a nice array of the "gourmet" Encased Meats that Doug Sohn pioneered.  Also, they're relatively close to Freddy's, one of the potential Italian Beef stops).

Again, nothing has been decided.  This event is still eight months away with plenty of time for discussion and debate.  As you may have noticed in earlier posts, even folks from outside the area have expressed their opinion on some of the early candidates.  I welcome their input and yours, David.  I hope you'll continue making suggestions and including your reasons for picking them.  I also hope you'll join the tour.  The Roadfood Nation is coming to our front door next May, and we need to show them a good time.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/08 21:34:11 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
David,
I completely forgot about Michael's, mainly because it's not on my regular radar.  Also considered were Wolfy's, Wiener and Still Champion, Mustard's Last Stand, and Gene & Jude's.  There are some restrictions that enter into the equation when you're organizing an event for 25+ people in a caravan of cars.  Geography, time, and practicality will sometimes exclude some stops you might make on your own.

Nothing has been decided, but I'm leaning toward certain stops based on the different examples of the CSD they offer.  So far, the strong contenders include Rand Red Hots (an excellent version of the "minimalist" CSD and outstanding Fries), Poochie's (for the classic CSD.  Also their extensive menu, including a Grilled Salami Sandwich and great Cheddar Fries), and Big Guys Sausage (in the absence of Hot Doug's, they offer a nice array of the "gourmet" Encased Meats that Doug Sohn pioneered.  Also, they're relatively close to Freddy's, one of the potential Italian Beef stops).

Again, nothing has been decided.  This event is still eight months away with plenty of time for discussion and debate.  As you may have noticed in earlier posts, even folks from outside the area have expressed their opinion on some of the early candidates.  I welcome their input and yours, David.  I hope you'll continue making suggestions and including your reasons for picking them.  I also hope you'll join the tour.  The Roadfood Nation is coming to our front door next May, and we need to show them a good time.

Buddy

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it in May or not. I'll be on sabbatical and I'm not sure where I'll be. I also have my doubts that I will be able to keep up with this kind of eating schedule. the thought of eating five, six, seven or so times a day is daunting to me. When I read the report of the eating tour last October, I think I went into a diabetic coma.

David

ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/08 22:24:03 (permalink)
Buddy,
This Chicago event looks like it is going to be a winner in terms of attendance and food.  Do you think you'd be willing to also lead an eating tour of Cleveland some time next year?  I can't think of a better person to plan a Roadfood outing in the rock and roll capital of the world than you.  Just looking ahead...

Danny
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/08 22:36:52 (permalink)
Davidsanders,
Most of us Roadfooders do not eat six or seven FULL meals during these get togethers.  Only the ChiTownDiner does that.  The great thing about these events is that you get to sample many menu items at a restaurant in one visit.  We all sort of order different things and then we all share.  It is a lot of fun! 

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re: The Great Chicagostyle Hot Dog and Italian Beef Crawl, Spring 2015. 2014/09/09 01:14:11 (permalink)
Davidsanders,
Just a quick follow up to ChiBears15's answer (condolences, BTW on yesterday's loss).  Members of The Contingent, along with many other Roadfooders I suspect, learned early on not to eat full portions at any one stop.

On our very first get-together, another Italian Beef outing, we brought along two sharp knives and two cutting boards (25 people, no waiting) and split the sandwiches at every place we visited.  One sandwich would usually serve three people on the first few stops; four people by the end.  We were still bloated and hurting by the time we reached our final destination, but that tour taught us an important lesson about pacing and portion control.

Later tours were cut down to five eating stops, with several non-eating activities inserted into the schedule.  The goal is variety and quality, not quantity.

CB15,
While I could certainly lead a Cleveland tour, and would be happy to do so, saying I'm the best person to do it is a disservice to the likes of buffetbuster, wanderingjew, and ChiTownDiner.  Certainly I'm proud of any discoveries I've made in Cleveburg, but many of my favorite eateries in The Cleve were recommendations from one of those three gentlemen (relax, I use the term loosely).

I'd want to spend a long weekend there doing research before I put together a tour.  There are so many places I've passed and haven't had a chance yet to investigate due to my daytime work schedule when visiting.  Also, I'm not sure there would be a theme since Cleveland has no "signature food".  I suppose Eastern European food/Pierogis could be considered a dominant category, but then we'd be excluding some of my favorite joints.  Plus, one of the best Polish restaurants in town, Babushka's, closed its doors last summer.

If we're going to start a tradition of doing a crawl through a different city every spring, I'd really be interested in a Kansas City 'Que Crawl, an Iowa or Indiana BPT Crawl, or finally making a reality of that Detroit Tour we've been discussing for three years.

But yeah, as long as you asked so nicely, I'd be interested in leading the gang to Cleveland sometime in the future.

Buddy
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1