The Great Clam Famine of 2005

Author
davetoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2005/10/17 15:48:46 (permalink)

The Great Clam Famine of 2005

My wife and I drove from Western MA to Scales in Millbury, MA this past Friday (75 miles each way) for their EXCELLENT fried clams. Much to our surprise and disappointment, thet did not have any clams. They served up their last clam on Tuesday (10-11). It seems that because of all the rain up and down the east coast, all the clam beds have been closed again (WHAT A BUMMER). The gentleman at Scales is supplied by Ipswich Shellfish Co. (the biggest and best supplier of fish, clams etc. in New England).What's a clam lover to do in this situation? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 Replies Related Threads

berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: The Great Clam Famine of 2005 2005/10/17 16:21:14 (permalink)
    Dave, sorry to hear about this. We just attended our friends yearly clam bake/party on the 8th, and there were plenty of steamed clams. I think Rick said he bought two bags of 70 dozen littlenecks. Hopefully they will be back soon.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1984
    RE: The Great Clam Famine of 2005 2005/10/18 09:26:59 (permalink)
    As a Scales fan myself, I didn't know that they had run out. I hope that they get them again. I depend on them for clams this time of year now that all of the seasonal places are closed. BTW for others making the trip, Scales winter hours are more limited, and they are flat out closing for a few days soon to go to an Ice Cream convention. As always it pays to call ahead to any RF place when it is a long trip. UPDATE 21 Oct I just got back from Scales.....still no clams. The chicken that I got was good, but it wasn't whole belly clams. It has got to be costing them biz, because even though they do sell other stuff, it is the clams that they have become famous for. UPDATE 27 Oct... more heavy rain and still no clams I am told that anyone that has them is working off of frozen stock. People are worried. Usually when beds are closed due to high rain, the clams are still "there", just temporally polluted. After a week or so everything goes back to normal. This time, too much sediment may have killed the clams. We will not really know untill the clam beds reopen,,,,,,hopefully in a week or two. If a lot of clams were killed it will take several years to recover.
    davetoo
    Junior Burger
    RE: The Great Clam Famine of 2005 2005/10/27 13:35:17 (permalink)
    Tmiles, thanks for the updates. Looks like we can cancel the trip to Millbury this weekend. Although, back on 10-14 when we couldn't get clams, we had some haddock, scallops and shrimp (of course with onion rings)....it was all OUTSTANDING. He really knows how to properly prepare seafood and his ingredients are extremely fresh.
    Please let us know when the real Ipswich clams show up again. Thank you in advance.
    davetoo
    Junior Burger
    RE: The Great Clam Famine of 2005 2005/10/30 17:39:58 (permalink)
    Clam Famine Update: On friday 10-28 I called Dube's in Salem MA, they said that they had clams (From Canada supplied by the folks at the Ipswich Shell Fish Co). The lady stated that the clams were on the small to medium size (Sounds Good To Me!) Anyway to make a long story short, we drove the 130 miles (one way) to do lunch. My wife had the fried flounder dinner which is always great there.I had the fried clam plate which is normally around $14 but because of the current situation was $16. This
    was without doubt, the best fried clam dinner that I have ever had. The clams were on the small side,(which is my preferance), they were sweet, crisp, fresh and had that great ocean taste that I thought was only possible with clams harvested in Ipswich. Dube's is a great place. If you're fortunate enough to get there, make sure to try their oion rings (if your party is less than 6 people),order the small size, because you will not come close to finishing it. If you do make the journey to Dube's, bring cash as they do not deal with credit cards.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1984
    RE: The Great Clam Famine of 2005 2005/10/31 09:17:45 (permalink)
    I had some clams at Scales, Millbury Mass on Friday. I don't know where they came from because they were to busy to bother them with the question. As Davetoo mentions, no local shortage lasts for long, because the free enterprise system will always rush to find a solution so long as there is a profit to be had. The clams I had were good, but they were somehow a little different than usual, possibly due to the source. The price was actually a buck less than recently.
    lizardqueen1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: The Great Clam Famine of 2005 2005/10/31 11:22:47 (permalink)
    Dube's also has excellent shrimp and boneless fried chicken.
    davetoo
    Junior Burger
    RE: The Great Clam Famine of 2005 2005/10/31 15:11:47 (permalink)
    Everything at Dube's is great. I just wish that we lived closer to their location. If we did I'm sure that we would eat there at least a couple of times a week.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1