The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur

wheregreggeats.com

~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur Sat, 06/23/12 11:48 AM (permalink)
Aside from trying my hand at cooking lunch at "the lodge" ... one day a week, for precious few people, I've developed a huge respect for people who really do it up right.
I was eating a superb meal at a tremendous, one-of-a-kind restaurant yesterday and felt the owner would be worthy of a salute.

DEBORAH FLYNN owns THE EASTSIDE GRILL here in Northampton ... she took over the restaurant about 5 years ago and tweaked it, improved it, knew enough to leave it well enough alone, maintained quality, manages the kitchen, greets customers ... the whole works. 

My meal yesterday was a superb Cajun fish & chips with slaw off the 6-day-a-week bar menu ... I wouldn't have changed a molecule and it was everyday affordable.

I'm wondering if you have anyone to "nominate" who runs a ONE-OF-A-KIND place and gets everything right.

I'm guessing, from within our ranks, chewingthefat might qualify :)

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6225
    Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur Sat, 06/23/12 12:56 PM (permalink)
    I nominate Don and Margaret Varlamos, proprietors and chefs of Swiftwater Seafood Cafe in Whittier, AK.  The food is always superb, especially the halibut.  On the weekends they do a smoked prime rib that is killer.  No matter how busy they are, Margaret always makes time to come to the table to say hello.  If I only had time for one meal in AK, it would be there.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
      Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur Sat, 06/23/12 5:02 PM (permalink)
      wheregreggeats.com

Aside from trying my hand at cooking lunch at "the lodge" ... one day a week, for precious few people, I've developed a huge respect for people who really do it up right.
      I was eating a superb meal at a tremendous, one-of-a-kind restaurant yesterday and felt the owner would be worthy of a salute.

DEBORAH FLYNN owns THE EASTSIDE GRILL here in Northampton ... she took over the restaurant about 5 years ago and tweaked it, improved it, knew enough to leave it well enough alone, maintained quality, manages the kitchen, greets customers ... the whole works. 

My meal yesterday was a superb Cajun fish & chips with slaw off the 6-day-a-week bar menu ... I wouldn't have changed a molecule and it was everyday affordable.

I'm wondering if you have anyone to "nominate" who runs a ONE-OF-A-KIND place and gets everything right.

I'm guessing, from within our ranks, chewingthefat might qualify :)

Thank You!....I hope so, this biz is a tough row to hoe!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
        Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur Sat, 06/23/12 11:25 PM (permalink)
        Especially collecting all those coins from the pay-per-use toilets

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
          Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur Sun, 06/24/12 7:00 AM (permalink)
          TJ strikes (out) again.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur Wed, 06/27/12 7:01 PM (permalink)
            lleechef

I nominate Don and Margaret Varlamos, proprietors and chefs of Swiftwater Seafood Cafe in Whittier, AK.  The food is always superb, especially the halibut.  On the weekends they do a smoked prime rib that is killer.  No matter how busy they are, Margaret always makes time to come to the table to say hello.  If I only had time for one meal in AK, it would be there.

Wow ... Coming from you, that is a major salute.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur Wed, 06/27/12 7:05 PM (permalink)
              I'll add RENNY & PENNY who own THE BRICKYARD in Daytona.
              They keep a sliver of a place busy serving superb bar food (especially the burgers and CC'd grilled wings).
              Again ... front of the house and a kitchen we can all see.
              Superb servers ...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com