~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
2012/06/23 11:48:17 (permalink)

~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur

Aside from trying my hand at cooking lunch at "the lodge" ... one day a week, for precious few people, I've developed a huge respect for people who really do it up right.
I was eating a superb meal at a tremendous, one-of-a-kind restaurant yesterday and felt the owner would be worthy of a salute.

DEBORAH FLYNN owns THE EASTSIDE GRILL here in Northampton ... she took over the restaurant about 5 years ago and tweaked it, improved it, knew enough to leave it well enough alone, maintained quality, manages the kitchen, greets customers ... the whole works. 

My meal yesterday was a superb Cajun fish & chips with slaw off the 6-day-a-week bar menu ... I wouldn't have changed a molecule and it was everyday affordable.

I'm wondering if you have anyone to "nominate" who runs a ONE-OF-A-KIND place and gets everything right.

I'm guessing, from within our ranks, chewingthefat might qualify :)

6 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7372
    Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur 2012/06/23 12:56:17 (permalink)
    I nominate Don and Margaret Varlamos, proprietors and chefs of Swiftwater Seafood Cafe in Whittier, AK.  The food is always superb, especially the halibut.  On the weekends they do a smoked prime rib that is killer.  No matter how busy they are, Margaret always makes time to come to the table to say hello.  If I only had time for one meal in AK, it would be there.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur 2012/06/23 17:02:25 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

Aside from trying my hand at cooking lunch at "the lodge" ... one day a week, for precious few people, I've developed a huge respect for people who really do it up right.
    I was eating a superb meal at a tremendous, one-of-a-kind restaurant yesterday and felt the owner would be worthy of a salute.

DEBORAH FLYNN owns THE EASTSIDE GRILL here in Northampton ... she took over the restaurant about 5 years ago and tweaked it, improved it, knew enough to leave it well enough alone, maintained quality, manages the kitchen, greets customers ... the whole works. 

My meal yesterday was a superb Cajun fish & chips with slaw off the 6-day-a-week bar menu ... I wouldn't have changed a molecule and it was everyday affordable.

I'm wondering if you have anyone to "nominate" who runs a ONE-OF-A-KIND place and gets everything right.

I'm guessing, from within our ranks, chewingthefat might qualify :)

Thank You!....I hope so, this biz is a tough row to hoe!

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur 2012/06/23 23:25:17 (permalink)
    Especially collecting all those coins from the pay-per-use toilets
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18940
    Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur 2012/06/24 07:00:00 (permalink)
    TJ strikes (out) again.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur 2012/06/27 19:01:19 (permalink)
    lleechef

I nominate Don and Margaret Varlamos, proprietors and chefs of Swiftwater Seafood Cafe in Whittier, AK.  The food is always superb, especially the halibut.  On the weekends they do a smoked prime rib that is killer.  No matter how busy they are, Margaret always makes time to come to the table to say hello.  If I only had time for one meal in AK, it would be there.

Wow ... Coming from you, that is a major salute.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:~ "The Greggie Award" ... Best Restauranteur 2012/06/27 19:05:48 (permalink)
    I'll add RENNY & PENNY who own THE BRICKYARD in Daytona.
    They keep a sliver of a place busy serving superb bar food (especially the burgers and CC'd grilled wings).
    Again ... front of the house and a kitchen we can all see.
    Superb servers ...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1