The Grouchy Glutton From St Clair County, AL

Author
grouchy glutton
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2004/02/22 21:25:19 (permalink)

The Grouchy Glutton From St Clair County, AL

Hi folks. In my area I'm known as the Grouchy Glutton. Every week I publish a new restaurant review of some eatery in St Clair County, Alabama. I take no prisoners; if the food, atmosphere and service are good we all get along, but if not, well, it ain't a pretty sight. Please visit our website at www.stclaircountyal.com
I also write a weekly Driving Dixie travel article providing insider info on interesting and unusual day-trips within a hundred mile radius of our area.
You can view all these articles from our front-page menu, and the website format is almost identical to this one.

Ya'll come!!!!

3 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The Grouchy Glutton From St Clair County, AL 2004/02/22 21:46:42 (permalink)
    Grouchy,
    Thanks a million for visiting us. I live in Athens, Georgia, about 125 miles east of y'all, and have an eventual trip planned that will take in the secondhand stores of Anniston, Gadsden, and Piedmont, plus points going to and coming from.
    Additionally, I have research to perform in Birmingham, so your outside-St. Clair-ramblings will be a help to me. Since Pell City is so close to I-20, a trip into town to eat and visit your Alabama Thrift Store (if it is still there) will be a likely possibility.
    All I had to go on until now is an old Hungry Herman book (about a 1977 edition, at that) that I bought in a thrift store for 15 cents: not much, but better than nothing...if anything much in it is still in date!
    And I will promise not to get lost in downtown Cook Springs.
    Urban(e?)ly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. For y'all who don't know (and that's bound to be most of you), Cook Springs, Alabama has an I-20 exit. The "town" consists of an EXTREMELY narrow railroad underpass and a post office: that's absolutely all I saw there. There's about got to be an old mineral spring there somewhere, and when I find it, I'll taste the water.
    Cook Springs is so small that it makes Metropolitan Cropwell look like Times Square in N. Y. C.
    grouchy glutton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: The Grouchy Glutton From St Clair County, AL 2004/02/23 20:45:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    [P. S. For y'all who don't know (and that's bound to be most of you), Cook Springs, Alabama has an I-20 exit. The "town" consists of an EXTREMELY narrow railroad underpass and a post office: that's absolutely all I saw there. There's about got to be an old mineral spring there somewhere, and when I find it, I'll taste the water.
    Cook Springs is so small that it makes Metropolitan Cropwell look like Times Square in N. Y. C.

LOL, Ort. You've got Cooks Springs nailed. I have a picture of that tunnel in our Photo Gallery (qv). The springs are somewhere around there, probably on the property of the rest home near the spot that once had the famous Cooks Springs resort hotel. Like you said, not much there now. Are you from this area? You seem to know a lot about the communities. Yes, the Alabama Thrift Store is still there. I buy a lot of books there. Ya'll be a-comin'.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: The Grouchy Glutton From St Clair County, AL 2004/04/16 20:58:18 (permalink)
    Grouchy,
    Interesting column. I've been there----being ignored certainly gives a bad spin to the entire meal. At least you wound up with good 'que anyways!
    I'm going to Fairhope AL in a few weeks. Any words of advice on where to eat etc? Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1