The Hickory Hog Point Pleasant, NJ

Author
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
2008/10/26 21:41:17 (permalink)

The Hickory Hog Point Pleasant, NJ

Hi,
I'll preface this post by saying I'm in no way a BBQ conneseur. My BBQ experience is limited to an occasional place in NJ which although it has many great roadfood specialties, is lacking in BBQ. My wife, father-in-law and I went to a place called the Hickory Hog for dinner tonight (3009 Rt 88, Point Pleasant, NJ) www.thehickoryhog.com I was very impressed. I got a combo platter with half a rack of baby back ribs, pulled pork, cornbread and 2 sides (mac and cheese and cole slaw). My baby back ribs were very tender and the sauce very nice. The pulled pork was very good as well. The cole slaw was only ok, I've definitely had better, but the mac and cheese was wonderful. It was nice and creamy and cheesy. I also really liked the cornbread which I usually don't like. My father-in-law got smoked pork loin covered in a mango bbq sauce, cornbread, baked beans, and garlic mashed potatoes. He enjoyed it all as well. My wife isn't very adventurous with her food and got plain grilled chicken with cornbread, a side salad and corn on the cob. She enjoyed it as well but thought the chicken was a little dry (but then she doesn't like most sauces including BBQ sauce.) All 3 of us enjoyed the Hickory Hog and plan to return. I'm not sure how it would rate compared to joints in more BBQ friendly areas, but for NJ it was great.

Dave

3 Replies Related Threads

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: The Hickory Hog Point Pleasant, NJ 2008/10/27 01:14:27 (permalink)
    Wish they had beef ribs !
    I still want to try the place, though, thanks for sharing..
    The wings look real good in the pic, and I love "hand breaded" chicken fingers.

Those baby back ribs look real good (for my sis) in their menu pic ...
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: The Hickory Hog Point Pleasant, NJ 2008/10/27 01:36:11 (permalink)
    Wow...thanks for this great find...got to give it a try....any other central Jersey people know about this place????
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: The Hickory Hog Point Pleasant, NJ 2008/10/27 21:53:49 (permalink)
    Lee, Ellen,
    I found this place in an article about Central Jersey BBQ in a local paper. Besides the Hickory Hog they also listed Memphis Pig Out in Atlantic Highlands, D & L BBQ in Asbury Park www.dlbbq.com and Ben's Extreme BBQ Smokehouse and Grill with locations in Bayville and Forked River www.exbbq.com. I'm going to try them all soon.

Dave
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1