The Hot Dog Show

Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/08/05 11:14:19 (permalink)

The Hot Dog Show

Did anyone see the hot dog show on PBS last night? A roadfooders dream show about nothing else but hot dog joints across the USA.

Charred, grilled, fried and steamed were all covered as were many, many of the hot dog places covered here. The origins and history of the hot dog were covered, as well as the unanswerable question: Why do we love them so much? Because they taste good!

My kids and I really enjoyed the program, especially since we were having chili dogs for dinner. Paled in comparision though.

10 Replies Related Threads

rmtnfoodie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2003/08/05 11:52:01 (permalink)
    Seems PBS stations repeat this quite often during the summer season. We've seen it maybe 3-4 times and its always enjoyable. The filmmaker/writer enjoys his work, the places and people he visits and it shows. I think the filmmaker/producer was mentioned in one of the forums lately - I believe he's based in Pittsburgh at WQED (?) and I hear he's working on more food & travel related programming.

rt
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2003/08/05 12:39:48 (permalink)
    Yes, Rick Sebak is based at WQED in Pittsburgh. If you go to their site, most of his documentaries are available for purchase. Most are VHS, some are DVD and VHS. He also did An Ice Cream Show, Sandwiches That You'll Like, PA Diners, Roadside Attractions, and some on amusement parks. I love his work.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/09 04:01:26 (permalink)
    KET, my public TV station has been running trailers for a hot dog documentary. It airs again in Kentucky, Monday, February 9 at 10 PM (on KET 2). I cannot remember if I've seen this or if I'm remembering a hot dog show I saw on The Food Network.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see Lone Star started a forum for it. The documentary name is "A Hot Dog Program" and it was released in 1996. Below is a program description from KET's Web site:
    A Hot Dog Program

This documentary is an all-American celebration of what may be the country's most popular food. From Fairfield, Connecticut, to Los Angeles, California, the program visits some of the nation's coolest hot dog places, taking viewers inside a giant hot dog-shaped building, stopping at some crazy late-night stands and looking at how hot dogs are made. The special also considers how and when hot dogs became so popular — and surveys the toppings that go on them.

In Stereo TV-G (CC)

I know more about hot dogs now (thanks to Roadfood.com), so the program might be more meaningful. I plan to watch after a late supper of Nathan's spicy all beef franks with the works.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/09 15:07:32 (permalink)

ATTENTION ROADFOODERS IN PITTSBURGH AND WASHINGTON,DC!!!

SET THOSE VCRS AND TIVOS!!!

The Hot Dog show (one hour in length) that Rick Sebak produced in 1999 is on tonite on WQED-13 in Pittsburgh at 9pm tonite, and at 10pm tonite on WETA-26 in Washington, DC.

Check out the Varsity, Pink's, The Original, Super Duper Weenie, Rutts, and many other great hot dog shops!!!

jm199
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/09 15:08:51 (permalink)

OOOOOOOPS!!! Tonite means MONDAY FEBRUARY 9, 2004.

So sorry!!!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/09 16:24:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads-up jm199!!! Also on tonight at 9 is American Experience which is all about Tupperware! Should be a great double feature!!
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/09 16:53:16 (permalink)

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette did a preview of The Tupperware story this past Sunday. I was NOT going to watch American Experience tonight until I read the article. Here is the link:

www.post-gazette.com/tv/20040208tupperware0208fnp3.asp

It sounds fascinating

Brahma Bob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/10 16:39:53 (permalink)
    This was the first time that I had watched The Hot Dog Program. I had a smile on my face the whole time. John Fox is always talking about Rutts Hut. Well, now I know.

What'll ya have, what'll ya have, what'll ya have!

What got me was the number of dogs served per day at these places! Incredible! The hot dog is alive and well across America!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/10 16:52:21 (permalink)
    Well aren't you guys lucky. We aired the Tupperware show last night. The closest thing to "dogs" was "Dogs and More Dogs" which was about state of the art dog labs where the latest developments in genetic mapping and even cloning are in the air. Now that's scary. We did air The Ice Cream Show several years ago. Starting the 27th we're "begging for bucks", no hot dog show there, BUT we are airing a show called: "America's Home Cooking: Casseroles and Covered Dishes". For a pledge of $200 we'll send you all FOUR books! Any takers.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: The Hot Dog Show 2004/02/11 03:18:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brahma Bob

This was the first time that I had watched The Hot Dog Program. I had a smile on my face the whole time. John Fox is always talking about Rutts Hut. Well, now I know.

What'll ya have, what'll ya have, what'll ya have!

What got me was the number of dogs served per day at these places! Incredible! The hot dog is alive and well across America!

It sure would seem so, Bob.

I'm really glad I was able to see the entire documentary last night. I recorded it and immediately watched it again. Having it on tape means I can transcribe all the business names for possible visits someday. As planned, I had Nathan's hot dogs for supper, first boiled, then grilled.

What a fun documentary. It's a genuine hoot, besides being educational and informative. I would guess it's already attained classic status.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1