The Italian Store - Washington DC

Author
Kodachrome
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
2006/02/03 20:40:59 (permalink)

The Italian Store - Washington DC

After a few reccomendations from some regular members over the years pointing me to this place I finally decided to stop in on my way to Woodbridge.

It is located off Lee Highway in Arlington, VA in a strip mall beside a starbucks.

The Italian Store is unique in that it is not mainly a pizza shop (though I did see probably 15 pizzas walk out the door and a dozen or so slices in my short time there). They are also a sandwich shop and italian grocery store. They have fresh tomatoes, high quality imported meats and cheeses, and a fairly extensive wine section.

Their sandwiches looked amazing- stuffed to the brim using fresh ingredients...but I came for one thing...PIZZA!

They have 2 sizes - 16" and a huge 20". I believe I paid $13.50 for my plain mozz pie. Not the cheapest out there but certainly not the most expensive. You pay for fresh dough, high quality cheeses, and a home made sauce.

Great stuff. Not a fancy neopolitan...just a plain old 100% kick butt New York pizza.

HIGHLY reccomended.

5 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The Italian Store - Washington DC 2006/02/03 22:45:40 (permalink)
    What makes it "unique"? It looks like a standard Italian deli. There was one in Silver Spring when I was growing up. Here's Molinari's in SF (there are a number of others--including one small local chain of them, Ferrari's--but this is arguably the best one in my town):

Kodachrome
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: The Italian Store - Washington DC 2006/02/03 23:37:07 (permalink)
    The thing that makes it "unique", as I said, is that it is not just a typical pizza joint. It is consistently voted among the best in the DC area- and all of it's competitors are regular pizza places.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The Italian Store - Washington DC 2006/02/04 02:43:01 (permalink)
    To me, it looks like a deli that (I'll take your word for it) sells very good pizza. I'm not knocking it--just trying to figure out if there's something I'm not getting.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3709
    RE: The Italian Store - Washington DC 2006/02/04 08:16:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

To me, it looks like a deli that (I'll take your word for it) sells very good pizza. I'm not knocking it--just trying to figure out if there's something I'm not getting.

It looks like a great Italian grocery store to me. The one we go to does not sell pizza..........darn it.........but they do sell the best Italian subs that you will ever taste, and at a bargain price.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: The Italian Store - Washington DC 2006/02/06 17:52:37 (permalink)
    It's fairly unique to the area. There aren't many strictly Italian markets.
    I don't think the italian place in Silver Spring BT mentions is there any more. But, I could be wrong on that. I haven't seen it.

It's a big country, so "unique" may be a bit over stated. But, it's worth a trip there when in the area. Their subs are great, pizza's good. When I don't have time to make my own dough, I like to buy their fresh dough.

We had a great italian market in Greensboro, NC that made their own sausage, cheese, desserts and other deli things. Fantastic! It was run by a family who had moved from Brooklyn and were upset that there was no place to get italian imported goods, no good italian sausage and cheeses or italian deli of any merit. So, they opened a place. It was always packed by ex-NYers. Good time.

The Arlington, VA store isn't quite as good as a market as the Greensboro place, but the pizza is good and there are a few italian items and olive oils that can't be bought anywhere else arund here, at least in one store.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1