The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
2011/08/30 20:52:28 (permalink)

The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP

David "Honeyboy" Edwards passed away 8-29-11. 
Born in Shaw, MS in June of 1915. Left home when he was just a teen to travel with some of the most famous Delta Blues men.

He played with legends like Pinetop Perkins, Robert Johnson (the man that sold his soul to the devil for his music ability), Johnny Shines and many more.

His voice has the warble, and soulsome sound.

I am listening to his Delta Bluesman right now, it is a wonderful mix of his older and newer stuff.

Honeyboy - your talents, your heart and your soul will be missed by so many.  RIP

http://www.davidhoneyboyedwards.com
http://www.torontosun.com...end-david-edwards-dead

6 Replies Related Threads

smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP 2011/08/30 21:06:00 (permalink)
    R.I. P. Honeyboy.

Honey was something. The last man standing. We will not see his kind again. His memory was amazing.
    I was lucky to have spent some time with him. First for my film on Howlin' Wolf, and again for a film shot on a riverboat on the Mississippi.
    But probably my fondest memory is the night I met him at Buddy Guy's club in Chicago was introduced to him before he performed and we discussed him being interviewed for my film and he agreed and was gracious. Then he went to perform and I went to sit down and have a beer. I think Honey was drinking beer as well. When the cocktail waitress came to take my drink order I told  her I wanted to buy Honeyboy a beer or whatever he wanted to drink. I saw her talking with him and start to laugh. She came over to report that he said he needed a " big ol glass of gin"!

R.I. P.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP 2011/08/30 22:02:14 (permalink)
    Smokestack

Your name sounds like an old blues musician's name.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3141
    Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP 2011/09/02 09:43:32 (permalink)
    For twenty years  every time I saw Honeyboy I wondered if it was for the last time. Someone posted that the ongoing heatwave is Honeyboy playing up yonder.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP 2011/09/02 20:13:25 (permalink)
    RIP Honeyboy. long live the blues.

not to blow my own horn but, quite a bit I'll meet a young guitar player where I'm playing & they say I'm a great blues player & they tell me they don't understand & can't play the blues.
    I don't understand it because the blues is the basis for most of the music we listen to & love. jazz,rock, soul, R&B.
    I guess kids are different today, not wrong but different.
    say hello to Big Bill Bronzey & Muddy Waters & Bo Diddley for me.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP 2011/09/03 12:30:13 (permalink)
    Ive been up to my armpits in putting on the Dusk till Dawn Blues fest this week and just heard about Honeyboy. Sad--very sad--he was the last in a long line of a bunch awesome folks who lived tough hard lives and still made sure we all got  entertained. Thanks for the music Honeyboy! we will miss you.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP 2011/09/05 09:29:40 (permalink)
    So sad to see these wonderful musicians pass away.  Thankfully we have much of their music that remains.  RIP Honeyboy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1