The Left Lane Is For Passing!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:02:58 (permalink)
He filed suit againt Mr.Petty asking for a undisclosed amount for the usual pain, suffering... As I understand it, it was thrown out.I do know many people cheered Mr.Petty and said it is about time!! Perhaps this jerk will think twice before being a "keeper of the speed"[:D
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by Wabbit

Some jerk was camped in the left lane. Mr. Petty flashed lights, used horn all to no avail. So he did a bump and run! The jerk did move, but pressed charges.

The guy could have claimed "serious injuries" too, guess what though, the insurance company won't pay it as this would be considered an intentional act.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:05:08 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Some jerk was camped in the left lane. Mr. Petty flashed lights, used horn all to no avail. So he did a bump and run! The jerk did move, but pressed charges.

The guy could have claimed "serious injuries" too, guess what though, the insurance company won't pay it as this would be considered an intentional act.

I think the Camper is the guilty one not Petty. The Camper was trying to impede the flow of traffic and Petty just wanted to get out of harms way. He just used his professional driving skills to fix the problem. I wonder how many accidents the Camper caused in the past. Better yet did he learn a lesson from Petty and stop trying to endanger future drivers? The whole situation, court costs, damages to both cars, frustration, and retaliation could have been avoided if he/she would have moved over when he flashed his brights, honked his horn, rode his/her ass. Instead the Camper decided that they were traffic monitor and nobody was getting by. I have seen this same driver speed up or slow down when the driver on the right tries to make room for one of them to move over. This is not a speed thing it is the fact that the fast lane Camper is either embarrased about there actions for Camping or has some twisted perception that they own the road. Either way I would still love for a Fast Lane Camper to pull over to the right and tell us why they do it? I am at a loss....Russ
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:14:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

Incidentally, in case anyone is interested, I have driven for approximately 37 years/500,000 miles without a vehicular accident.

That's just plain weird. You must send out invisible repulser rays. I have been driving for 39 years, and have been crashed into repeatedly. One guy even backed up across a road to hit me while I was stopped at a stop sign. The last one was three years ago, when some fool tried to cross three lanes of traffic on US-1 from a Burger King parking lot. He made it across two of them, before I hit his car at about 30mph. Didn't even see him until he crossed my lane about 20 feet in front of me. Now I too have experienced the pleasure of air bag deployment!

I have definitely had a few very close calls, but so far, so good in terms of accident avoidance for the past 37 years. A few weeks ago, if I had not exercised caution at a green light, I would have been broadsided by a speeding flatbed truck, and I think that I might not be here to talk about it if he had hit me. The lesson of that experience is--even when you have a green light, take a look at the traffic approaching perpendicular to your direction of travel. I did, and it saved me from being creamed.

A few years ago, I was driving on Rt. 1 in Linden, NJ, and suddenly a car hopped the very low divider and crossed all 3 lanes--right in front of me--hopped the curb, and crashed into a building. This was really just a matter of luck, since he would have hit me if I had been driving just 1 or 2 mph faster.

Back in April of this year, I was a passenger in a car that was hit broadside by a woman driving a Lexus SUV. My SO's Honda Accord sedan was damaged enough to be declared a total loss by the insurance company, but neither of us sustained any real injuries. The idiot woman told the police that "the harder I stepped on the brake, the faster it went". Yup! That's because she was flooring the GAS pedal, rather than jamming on the brakes--as confirmed by a certified mechanic's examination of her SUV afterwards.

That type of accident could have happened to anyone, since we were not even on the highway when we were hit! We were actually on the property of a Shell gas station, preparing to exit it when this idiot woman managed to hit another vehicle, continue through a red light, drive up on the grass adjacent to the road, and broadside us on the gas station property. So, I could have been the victim of this person who does not deserve to have a driver's license, but just by chance, the true victim was my SO who was forced to buy another vehicle by this circumstance.

All of this being said, I could be involved in a very serious accident tomorrow, since some accidents just involve being in the wrong place at the wrong time when crazy or intoxicated or inattentive or unskilled drivers crash into you.

I know that, to a great extent, I have been very lucky, but I also have to think that my driving skills also have played a role in my driving record. My advice is:

*Maintain your car at least as well as the car's manufacturer specifies, if not better. This will help to avert accidents caused by failure of brakes, or tires, or other parts. This maintenance includes the condition and the inflation pressure of your tires. Tire pressure should be checked at least every few weeks, and in the process of getting "up close and personal" with your tires, you are more likely to spot damage to a tire before it causes a problem.

*Keep to the right on highways, except when passing.

*Use your headlights as soon as the sun starts to go down--Don't wait until it is really dark. Also, be sure to use your headlights during periods of rain, fog, and snow. Even though the law requires headlight use when your windshield wipers are on, apparently very few people seem to be aware of this regulation. The bottom line is that if your car is more visible, it is less likely to be hit by another car.

*Use long following distances when driving behind other vehicles, and make those following distances VERY long if it is raining or snowing. By not tailgating, you are automatically giving yourself a much greater chance of stopping in time if the person in front of you does something really unexpected.

*Never be the fastest vehicle on the road. Feel free to exceed the speed limit by a bit, but never be the fastest one.

*Use winter tires during the winter months--even if you have all-wheel drive. I have AWD, ABS, traction control, and vehicle stability control (anti-skid system), and I still use winter tires for an extra edge of safety. Most people think of winter tires in terms of being able to get going, while I advise their use for their ability to allow you to stop in a significantly shorter distance on snow and ice than so-called all-season tires will allow. Winter tires also help to keep your car on course when you make a turn.

*If you see a deer cross the road, slow down to a crawl or stop your car. Experience shows that the first deer is frequently followed by a second, a third, and perhaps four or five more deer.

*As mentioned in an earlier post, make a right turn on a red light only after coming to a complete stop.

*If you have to stop your car on the shoulder of the road, get the car as far away from the road's travel lanes as possible. I can't believe how many disabled cars I have seen parked--literally--on the line separating the shoulder from the travel lane.

*Do not drive in another vehicle's blind spot. If you are passing someone on a multi-lane highway, don't take the leisurely approach. When you want to pass them, do so as quickly as possible in order to limit the amount of time that you are in their blind spot or next to them.

*When on the highway, if you see traffic slowing ahead, activate your 4-way flashers in order to "wake up" the drivers in back of you to the need for them to hit the brake. By giving them an extra bit of warning, you are reducing the possibility of being rear-ended. (Incidentally, if you are tempted to tell me that this use of 4-way flashers is illegal, I want you to know that I am aware of this, but will continue to do it anyway in order to reduce the chance of being rear-ended. A ticket is cheaper than an accident. Incidentally, it has been over 10 years since I have received a traffic ticket, and that was for making an "illegal turn" in NYC, at an unmarked intersection. I chose to pay the ticket, rather than taking time off from work to fight it.)

Happy and safe motoring to all!
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:24:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Either way I would still love for a Fast Lane Camper to pull over to the right and tell us why they do it? I am at a loss....Russ

I used to know a woman who was in the habit of always driving in the left lane of highways, and I should also point out that she tended to drive pretty slowly. When I rode with her, I would feel VERY unsafe, and of course, it was extremely embarassing--even as a passenger--to have to endure the dirty looks from drivers who were forced to pass us on the right after June failed to pull over when they flashed their lights or honked their horns.

Finally, one day after one more harrowing ride in June's Buick, I asked her why she insisted on riding exclusively in the left lane, and she replied--are you ready??--that she "feels safer" by driving in the left lane. I attempted to reason with her, but when reason failed to evoke a rational response from her, I simply informed her that henceforth, we would travel ONLY in my car with me driving. She accepted that.

Grillnut
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:29:31 (permalink)
I usually drive in the right lane if there are two lanes going my way on a multilane highway or in one of the center lanes if there are three or more lanes going my way.

However, if I'm in the left lane passing one or more slower-moving vehicles, I'm not pulling over until I'm done passing, regardless of whether somebody else is riding my bumper because he wants to go faster than I am.

And if I've pulled into the left lane to let a car onto the highway, I'm not pulling back into the right lane until it's safe for me to do so at my current speed. If the driver I let onto the highway accelerates past me before I have a chance to pull over again and other drivers also start passing me on the right, well, it's their own damn fault.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:33:44 (permalink)
I was out this past Saturday night when we had sleet and ice and God-awful road conditions to contend with. Sometimes I think many Ohio drivers are almost as ignorant as Alabama drivers about how to drive in such bad weather conditions. It took me two hours to get from Cincinnati to Sardinia. The nutty shenanigans of some drivers was appaling to say the least. You do not drive 70 MPH with ice on many roads.
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:47:58 (permalink)
I can relate to those who have road shotgun in a left hand lane bandits car. One of the last times I rode with my then 70 year old dad I got so tired of all the motorists passing us on the right, while we were going 50 mph in the left hand lane, and getting the one finger salute over and over, I vowed never again. This was the same trip my dad wanted me to ask a group of young gang bangers in the Englewood section of Chicago for directions.. I guess his dimentia wasnt limited to his poor driving & lane choice.
Russ Jackson
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 16:52:57 (permalink)
I think if you are getting passed on the right regularily it might be time to revisit your driving habits. This would be a warning sign that you are driving poorly. Also if people give you the finger frequently or all you see is there face in your rearview mirror one might think about taking a refreasher course in driving etiquette and road procedures....Russ
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 17:13:40 (permalink)
I'll admit, I usually drive in congested urban and suburban areas and usually drive in the left lane which is permissible especially on 3-4 lane highways. I'll also admit that I drive pretty fast....what irks me is when cars...actually no it's usually Hummers, Vans, Pick Ups and SUV's will tailgate you if you're going say...80mph, and if you change lanes and let them pass, and then get behind them...guess how fast they're going....80mph.....

wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 17:15:52 (permalink)
quote:

He filed suit againt Mr.Petty asking for a undisclosed amount for the usual pain, suffering... As I understand it, it was thrown out.

Wow, the day a case like that gets "thrown out" here in Rhode Island is the day that all the fast food chains simultaneously go out of business.

Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 18:07:26 (permalink)
The suit was frivolous at best. The public wrote alot of letters to newspapers saying such. I think the bonehead was lucky, he could have caused a accident, ticked off someone with a gun, etc.. Mr Petty did him a favor
quote:

quote:

He filed suit againt Mr.Petty asking for a undisclosed amount for the usual pain, suffering... As I understand it, it was thrown out.

Wow, the day a case like that gets "thrown out" here in Rhode Island is the day that all the fast food chains simultaneously go out of business.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 18:10:31 (permalink)
As a fellow road warrior let me add my two cents.

If I am in the left lane and someone wants to pass...I move to the right and let them. No matter how fast anyone is going, it's the right thing to do and it helps keep everyone a little bit safer. Too many times people like to use their car as a 3000 pound weapon.

Another benefit....who is going to get the ticket if a Statey is up ahead.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 18:40:33 (permalink)
quote:

The suit was frivolous at best. The public wrote alot of letters to newspapers saying such. I think the bonehead was lucky, he could have caused a accident, ticked off someone with a gun, etc.. Mr Petty did him a favor.

Do you know how many "frivilous suits" we end up paying out- on a day to day basis?

- I can assure you if this happenned in Rhode Island, all Mr Petty would have to say was "I didn't realize I hit him, it was an accident" and then insurance would have to cover it since it is no longer an intentional act. Even if every aspect was bogus, a judge would never award summary judgement to the plaintiff, and then if it went to trial, if there was a a defense verdict (meaning the plaintiff got "zero") I can assure you the judge would grant a new trial....

... I'm in the insurance field by the way hence my interest in this particular thread.

Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 19:49:16 (permalink)
In this case the only "damage" was a bruised ego. I do agree people are sue happy and it cost all of us
quote:

quote:

The suit was frivolous at best. The public wrote alot of letters to newspapers saying such. I think the bonehead was lucky, he could have caused a accident, ticked off someone with a gun, etc.. Mr Petty did him a favor.

Do you know how many "frivilous suits" we end up paying out- on a day to day basis?

- I can assure you if this happenned in Rhode Island, all Mr Petty would have to say was "I didn't realize I hit him, it was an accident" and then insurance would have to cover it since it is no longer an intentional act. Even if every aspect was bogus, a judge would never award summary judgement to the plaintiff, and then if it went to trial, if there was a a defense verdict (meaning the plaintiff got "zero") I can assure you the judge would grant a new trial....

... I'm in the insurance field by the way hence my interest in this particular thread.

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 21:00:34 (permalink)
I find there are alot of people who on a three lane or more road will pass on the right, even when the left lane is open. I think some speeders may have a tendancy to avoid the the left lane on the belief that is the lane the cops are watching.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 21:55:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Michigan, Southern California, Kentucky and Colorado are the best.

...Russ

It is indeed against the law in Kentucky. Signs are posted at regular intervals along all expressways. I see people who were driving in the left lane move into the center lane after they see the sign. I don't know how aggressive the patrol is about enforcing it, although I heard they gave out warning citations when the law was first enacted.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 22:18:03 (permalink)
Here in WV the State and Sheriff patrol cars are THE WORSE about staying in the left lane. On a 3 lane road I usually stay in the middle lane. People can pass me on the left and oncoming traffic and slower drivers can have the right.

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a habitual speeder. I'm usually doing 5 - 10 over when able.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 23:15:26 (permalink)

Rcently I was westbound on I-64 in Southern Indiana. As one climbs the hills out of the Ohio River floodplain the road has three lanes on the westbound side to allow for trucks to stay out of the left lane altogether. Speed limit is 55 mph (urban freeway). Just over the top of the hill is a site often used by the police for a radar car. As I came up the hill my radar detector was beeping and I kept my speed at 60 mph or a bit above. Two cars from Illinois came up behind me flashing their lights and obviously in a bit of a hurry. I pulled over to the middle lane and they jumped as they went by me (estimated 80 mph) They were doomed, and I felt kind of sorry for them. We know that place is a speed-trap and treat it with some respect. About 2 miles down the road they were both sitting by the side of the road while the Trooper wrote up the tickets.

The comment about moving with traffic and "blending in" is a wise one. If everyone is doing 10 mph over the limit the odds are it is allowed...If only out of staters are doing that, It would pay to back off and stay with the group!

If a left-lane homesteader doesn't move over within a reasonable time on a freeway here in IN-KY, I will go around on the right, but I give them time to move first.

In SoCal where the freeways have 4 or more lanes on each side the rule is the same, but there is a lot more movement in the right lanes and less consideration of Left-Lane hi-speed only.

I am always amazed that some folks seem to think the "Commuter Lanes" mean no speed limits.. That seems to be a universal rule no matter where you are in the country!!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 00:14:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear
By staying in the right lane most of the time, I can give them a very wide berth as I pass them.

Tedbear,
There's only one problem with that... in some jurisdictions, it is illegal to pass on the right under any circumstances.
In 1977 when I lived in Oklahoma, they had signs on the interstates that read "DO NOT PASS ON RIGHT" as you left Arkansas. (Tiki, you'll know if this has changed.) Well, there used to be this old curmudgeon who refused to move over and hoarded the left lane and drove along deliberately at 41 m.p.h. just to hold up traffic... he had a Purple Heart tag and driver's license which couldn't be revoked, and this was his way of thumbing his nose at everyone. I understand that somebody rammed him into a bridge abutment one sunny afternoon and went off and left him for dead; I never heard anything else after that.
Here in Georgia, the cops will ticket left-lane pokesters when they have to. I don't make a habit of right-lane passing, but sometimes you just plain have to.
Unspeedingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 00:33:01 (permalink)
This is beginning to sound a little more like Roadrage than Roadfood.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 01:16:46 (permalink)
They recently started enforcing the law against using the left lane for only passing here in Colorado, and it wasn't soon enough! I think Colorado drivers were (are) some of the worst for not properly using left lanes for passing.

I've done a few semi-cross-country roadtrips, and I've found that the most courteous drivers are in Oregon. Anybody agree or disagree?
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 01:18:32 (permalink)
I don't think I stated my first sentence properly in the last reply. I meant enforcing the law to use the left lane ONLY for passing.

Duh.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 02:16:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

There should be one simple rule. If someone is driving faster than you move over to the right. You're supposed to be cognizant of everything around you including autos approaching you from the rear. I think people passing on your right is much more dangerous because it is much more difficult to monitor your right side rear view mirror and it takes your eye off the road ahead of you more. Also if a faster car is forced to move over in the right lane to pass they are also forced to move into a slower moving lane. That is also not a good situation. So move the H E double hockey sticks to the right if you cannot keep up with the prevailing speed no matter what it is.

YES!!!!! OMG. I live here & know where the cops like to sit, so get out of my way. When you see me tap the brakes, then you can worry. That headlight being out on the front of the Caprice got me pulled over more times that I care to admit. If I am coming up behind you, GET OVER as soon as it is safe enough to do so. Ma & Pa Kettle driving along in their Caddy @ 65MPH? NO!!! I do about 9 miles over the speed limit, sometimes more. If you're out for a leisurely drive that is one thing. There's a lane for that, it's called the right lane!!!

Even better, those who don't follow the speed limit or traffic signals. It's a 24 hour world, people do work all shifts, and yes, if you sit at a green light for more than 5 seconds, I will tap my horn. Looking at me in your rearview to see who honked at you STILL isn't hitting the gas pedal, lady.

The worst offenders around here? City traffic, the sneaky ones who try to turn after the turn arrow has expired. Oncoming traffic has the green light. You have the red light. This means you don't get to turn anymore. I'm not sure what people do not understand about this concept. The yellow arrow clears the traffic from the intersection. It doesn't mean, "Yeah, just keep turning!" I've seen cops pull people over for it. I, myself, have been pulled over for it (no ticket, just a warning.) Worst intersection for it is the corner of Barker & Bluemound. Is this happening in other cities?
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 02:23:41 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Ok, so riddle me this: if people are turning on a yellow turn arrow, the arrow turns red, the light for the oncoming turns green & someone in the oncoming lane decides, "This stops now. The light is green, green means go," regardless of cars still turning & there is a collision, who is at fault? The oncoming driver for failure to wait for traffic to clear the intersection? Or the driver who failed to yield the right of way (FTYROW) to the oncoming traffic? I work in subrogation and am curious purely on a professional level, and not because I could have tboned somebody this morning but waited for traffic to clear.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 559
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 04:39:56 (permalink)
There's an awful lot of opinions here and way too much advice. It really boils down to one simple thing: do you want this teed-off, angry and frustrated guy behind you where he can do you damage, or do you want him way out in front of you, where you can watch him and stay away and protect yourself? The answer is simple -- get your butt over, and let him go. If he wants the road, give him the road. We are not the cops.

Same is true on the backroad two-lanes. Don't these boneheads doing 40 mph for miles see all the cars backed up behind them? If I'm out for a Sunday drive and someone comes screaming up behind me, I'll take the shoulder or pull into the next turnoff. Let 'em go. Bye-bye. I won't let them mess up my day. And often we get a nice wave from a grateful person.

By the way, the MSN article said pull over to the right, regardless of the prevailing speed. Once again, we are not in charge.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 07:10:54 (permalink)
You all are spoiling my retirement since I was going to buy a "BIG" RV hang in the left lane with the left turn signal on and travel 50 mph.
I do not interprit green as go but as,green - proceed if the way is clear.
Only two places now do things right as far as traffic is concerned and these are Zanesville,OH and Clewiston,FL, trucks only in left lane. All though town (four lane roads). Makes things so much easier on traffic.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5210
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 08:26:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Two cars from Illinois came up behind me flashing their lights and obviously in a bit of a hurry. I pulled over to the middle lane and they jumped as they went by me (estimated 80 mph) They were doomed, and I felt kind of sorry for them. We know that place is a speed-trap and treat it with some respect. About 2 miles down the road they were both sitting by the side of the road while the Trooper wrote up the tickets.

The next Wisconsin state budget has a shortfall of over 5 billion dollars. If the state police ticketed every Illinois driver that drove like that up here that shortfall would become a surplus.

quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

In 1977 when I lived in Oklahoma, they had signs on the interstates that read "DO NOT PASS ON RIGHT" as you left Arkansas. (Tiki, you'll know if this has changed.) Well, there used to be this old curmudgeon who refused to move over and hoarded the left lane and drove along deliberately at 41 m.p.h. just to hold up traffic... he had a Purple Heart tag and driver's license which couldn't be revoked, and this was his way of thumbing his nose at everyone. I understand that somebody rammed him into a bridge abutment one sunny afternoon and went off and left him for dead; I never heard anything else after that.

I wonder if Richard Petty was ever investigated. Although the really scary thing about this is the irrevocable driver's license...hopefully Oklahoma and any other states have stopped this practice!
Russ Jackson
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 08:33:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by easydoesit

Same is true on the backroad two-lanes. Don't these boneheads doing 40 mph for miles see all the cars backed up behind them? If I'm out for a Sunday drive and someone comes screaming up behind me, I'll take the shoulder or pull into the next turnoff. Let 'em go. Bye-bye. I won't let them mess up my day. And often we get a nice wave from a grateful person.

It used to be the rule that when driving on a rural two-lane if you had three or more cars stacked up behind you one was supposed to pull over and let the traffic pass. The problem on the road and in society is that it is all about me not being courteous for others. If someone is so dim-witted that the guy behind them wants to just get by and they dont understand that. And they cant take the extra 20 seconds to speed up a little and pull over. Then maybe they shouldn't drive. Whats worse is when you do finally get by on the right they have a cell phone glued to there ear. And for the ones who do it on purpose I am still waiting for a response...Russ
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 08:42:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stricken_detective
Ok, so riddle me this: if people are turning on a yellow turn arrow, the arrow turns red, the light for the oncoming turns green & someone in the oncoming lane decides, "This stops now. The light is green, green means go," regardless of cars still turning & there is a collision, who is at fault? The oncoming driver for failure to wait for traffic to clear the intersection? Or the driver who failed to yield the right of way (FTYROW) to the oncoming traffic? I work in subrogation and am curious purely on a professional level, and not because I could have tboned somebody this morning but waited for traffic to clear.

I think you can argue intentional act on the party that "decides to go straight on the green light" especially if they decide go knowing full well that traffic in the other direction is attempting to clear the intersection, but that's only if they admit to it. If there are independent witnesses, then that will usually help with the liability decision, if the left turning vehicle states they have the green arrow and the vehicle going straight states they had a solid green, well without independent witnesses or other physical evidence, both parties have failed to prove their case.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/11 08:48:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

They recently started enforcing the law against using the left lane for only passing here in Colorado, and it wasn't soon enough! I think Colorado drivers were (are) some of the worst for not properly using left lanes for passing.

I've done a few semi-cross-country roadtrips, and I've found that the most courteous drivers are in Oregon. Anybody agree or disagree?
I never drove in Oregon but I have been in Ohio since 1977 and I think the drivers here are mostly courteous. One thing that I do not like is when I am passing on the left and someone comes up behind me and tailgates me - if I am 5, or 10 miles over the limit, I am not going to speed up more just to make that tailgater happy. I will pass at the speed I am traveling and get over to the right lane when I have safely passed the slower vehicle.

As far as I know tailgaters do not have any more right of way than I.

So if you like to tailgate and keep getting road rage because of something like this I suggest you rethink your brain processes.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1