The Left Lane Is For Passing!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
sonjaab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 12:43:01 (permalink)
Its always fun to screw with a "left lane campers" !

Once you get around them a nice "brake check" once
or twice gets their attention!
Also drifting on the left shoulder and throwing up
all kinds of debris rocks/trash works wonders too!

Now if your driving a nice big pickup truck and they
are in their teeny tiny "I hate America" import rice
burner its tons of fun to drift into their lane next
to them real close so they can see themselves in your
shiny paint job!
If they are awake and or smart they usually move over!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3142
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 12:46:40 (permalink)
I guess we have more than a few road ragers here.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 12:49:46 (permalink)
I would keep in mind always generally you do not know who you might be messing with on the road and you never know who might have a gun nearby them so I would not go out of your way to try to teach them the rules of the road or pay them back by playing games with them.

You will live a longer happier life if you stay to the right and follow the speed limit posted.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 12:52:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sonjaab

shiny paint job!

Sonjaab:

Are you kidding??? This is a joke, no?

If not then you are WORSE than the LLC and more. You are hostile and dangerous, and a bully.

Anyone who thinks it is "fun" to "screw around" with anyone to upset them is a bully and sadistic.

So now we have passive-aggressive and just plain aggressive.
Remember, most accidents are caused by emotion...
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 12:54:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

I am not sure why speeders speed but if they think they are in the right they have a strange conception of the law.

If you suffer road rage every time you go out on the road and think no one knows how to drive but you you have more problems than you think.

If you tailgate regularly and try to blow others off the road you really are the menace to society.

If you have to pass every one on the road and habitually speed God help you and the citizens you encounter.

Just because you are always in a hurry do not think any one else really appreciates it.

I agree with you almost 100%.
Speeding is needed to keep traffic moving. When driving one must consider the flow of traffic at hand. You must also never stay in others blind spots or put yourself in a position where you are getting tailgated or tailgating the guy in front. Many times during morning and evening traffic the flow is much greater than the posted one. If one were to drive at the lower end of the posted traffic accidents will take place. Anyone driving a motorcycle at speed or under the flow of traffic eventually will get killed. California actually allows motorcycles to go 5 over the flow of traffic. As to the other 4 comments you made you are spot on and I agree with you.

There are a lot of great drivers out there. But there are also a lot more bad ones than ever before. LLC are growing at an alarming rate it seems lately.

...Russ
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7839
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 12:55:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sonjaab

shiny paint job!

And when you get served with lawsuit papers 3 years later for the accident you didn't think happenned (and probably really didn't happen), then what are you going to do?

Russ Jackson
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 13:05:21 (permalink)
And don't forget most LLC's drive below the posted speed limit most times. Trucks are kept to the right lane usually 5 below the maximum posted speed. Safe driving conditions are had when traffic is spread out not bunched up into little packs....Russ
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 13:17:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

And don't forget most LLC's drive below the posted speed limit most times. Trucks are kept to the right lane usually 5 below the maximum posted speed. Safe driving conditions are had when traffic is spread out not bunched up into little packs....Russ

Russ, A respectful question here:

Above, you said "speeding is necessary to keep traffic flowing" and here you (I think) criticize those who go below the limit. I thought the limit was designed for safety on the road, esp. in tricky conditions, curves, etc. I thought the "speed limit" was a limit, not a minimum.

To my understanding you are supposed to drive below the speed limit....No wonder you are frustrated at some drivers...

(Of course I drive above the limit at times, esp. if all the other traffic is, but I try to stay at/below the "limit")...
Russ Jackson
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 13:32:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Russ, A respectful question here:

Above, you said "speeding is necessary to keep traffic flowing" and here you (I think) criticize those who go below the limit. I thought the limit was designed for safety on the road, esp. in tricky conditions, curves, etc. I thought the "speed limit" was a limit, not a minimum.

To my understanding you are supposed to drive below the speed limit....No wonder you are frustrated at some drivers...

(Of course I drive above the limit at times, esp. if all the other traffic is, but I try to stay at/below the "limit")...

I don't have a problem with a driver driving at the lo end of the speed limit. Example: if the speed limit is 65 and the minimum is 55. And a driver feels he must drive at the slower pace. He/She must be in the furthest right lane where they belong. Not in the passing lane. I think that if you are driving properly you should almost never be passed on the right. I am not some psycho road rager that drives way over the speed limit. I am a courteous respectful driver. I have nor would I ever use my car as a weapon. But I do know that someone who purposely log jams traffic by camping in the left lane is wrong and dangerous. I would just like to know what possesses them to do it. He is just as nuts as the guy who brake checks and crop dusts the other driver when he finally gets by. Both of them will end up in jail, dead or injure someone else if given time....Russ
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 13:41:14 (permalink)
quote:

I don't have a problem with a driver driving at the lo end of the speed limit. Example: if the speed limit is 65 and the minimum is 55. And a driver feels he must drive at the slower pace. He/She must be in the furthest right lane where they belong. Not in the passing lane. I think that if you are driving properly you should almost never be passed on the right. I am not some psycho road rager that drives way over the speed limit. I am a courteous respectful driver. I have nor would I ever use my car as a weapon. But I do know that someone who purposely log jams traffic by camping in the left lane is wrong and dangerous. I would just like to know what possesses them to do it. He is just as nuts as the guy who brake checks and crop dusts the other driver when he finally gets by. Both of them will end up in jail, dead or injure someone else if given time....Russ

Thanks for the clarification.

I have driven in US with a friend form Germany (where there is no speed limit), and she is appalled by US drivers, esp. one who pass on the right (ie drive fast on the right) which is totally forbidden in Germany. I wonder if they have LLC's there? Probably not, too "law-abiding" I think....

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 14:13:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

I have driven in US with a friend form Germany (where there is no speed limit), and she is appalled by US drivers, esp. one who pass on the right (ie drive fast on the right) which is totally forbidden in Germany. I wonder if they have LLC's there? Probably not, too "law-abiding" I think....

It is a lot harder to get a license in Germany and drivers are generally far more skilled, or at least better trained. Here, you make a u-turn, park, and do a few low speed maneuvers and you are turned loose on the freeway. That is like being given a medical license because you can apply a band aid.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 14:19:11 (permalink)
This may sound crazy, but I think some people do it and don't even realize it. I have one relative who always complains about LLCs, but does it constantly himself. It drives me nuts! In just about every other way, he is a bright and unselfish person.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5085
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 15:10:06 (permalink)
The left lane is great for tossing those empty Old Milwaukee cans out the window, though...

Brad
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 17:06:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

The left lane is great for tossing those empty Old Milwaukee cans out the window, though...

Brad
I usually hook shot them over the car into the right lane while I am passing...
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 19:00:22 (permalink)
actually, I think littering is 100,000 times more disheartening than bad driving. I'd rather we lynched litterers than these left-lane campers.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/15 19:14:10 (permalink)
Scorereader, they are just having a little jostling levity on the beer cans. I'm sure they do no more than flick cigarette butts out the window.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/01/15 20:52:56 (permalink)
I just stumbled upon this thread, and I've found it both facinating and informative. I consider myself to be a better-than-average driver; I never drive more than 5 miles over the limit ( if even that ), I NEVER turn or change lanes without signaling , and I always stay a safe distance back from the vehicle in front of me. Many years ago, I had to find out the hard way what happens when you tailgate, and thanks to that experience, I'm now a bit fanatical on the subject of tailgating. Generally I stay in the right lane, yet I still get brainless morons who rush up on my bumper, often getting within one car lenght or less of my lil' Nissan ( at 60 miles an hour, no less. ) In cases like this, I put on my flashers and tap the horn. If Einstein still doesn't get it, I then begin to GENTLY apply the brakes, slowing down just enough to "encourage" Mr. Bumper-Thumper to seek another lane. Occasionally I'll get a one-finger salute as I'm passed by the idiot, but I can live with that. I've concluded that about 93% of licensed drivers in this country need to attend mandatory remedial driving classes. Hell, probably wouldn't hurt me to attend...
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/01/16 08:33:13 (permalink)
PopsDogHouse

I think the bump and run should be legal on the interstate.

It's not " /> Too me, even more dangerous are the people that make a lane change while turning. EG - Person is in the left lane at a redlight intending a left turn. Light goes green, person makes left turn and drifts into right lane. It's illegal in most states, if not all, and certainly dangerous everywhere.

Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/01/16 10:56:15 (permalink)
1- The right lane is safer (except in congested areas where there is heavy access ramp traffic coming in). When you are in the interior lanes, your manuevering room is limited because of the traffic in the lanes to your right. If you are in the right lane, you can use ALL of the territory to your right to dodge oncoming traffic and to avoid problems in front of you. My family accuses me of not "practicing what I preach" because I typically set my cruise at 8 to 10 miles above the posted limit (North Carolina doesn't apply insurance points against NC licensed drivers for speeding less than 10 miles above the speed limit) and, therefore, spend little time in the right lane when traffic is moderate or heavy.

2- I can't believe that no one has mentioned the "slingshot" driver. It is not unusual to have 20 or more cars lined up behind a left lane camper, all anxious to move on once he has moved over. Then some nut case decides he is going to speed by in the right lane and pick off the left lane one car at a time. Then the left lane becomes a long line of tailgaters trying to keep their place in line to avoid falling farther behind. I think the slingshotters are the most dangerous drivers on the road.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/01/24 00:04:22 (permalink)
I've always enjoyed driving more than just about anything else, but the legions of inept, inconsiderate and incompetent motorists using our highway system is taking all the fun out of it for me. Some of the things I see other drivers do just scare the hell out of me. Today I saw a brain-dead moron make a left turn from a straight-only lane, instead of moving into the left-turn lane to make his turn. Later, another idiot cut right in front of me ( no signal, of course ) as I was moving through an intersection; I had to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. What is the matter with people today??? It wasn't near this bad twenty years ago. I sure wish I had the authority to pull dangerous drivers over and confiscate their drivers' licenses; I'd end up with enough of those things to wallpaper my apartment! 
sop that
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/24 21:24:26 (permalink)
Today I had the pleasure NOT of driving behind someone with a “I might be slow, but I am in front of you” bumper sticker.  I am on the 405 for 28 miles and we were in the car pool lane.  The guy in front of me was not driving, he was having a conversation.  At times he would talk with both hands. Most times I could see one hand gesturing wildly as he gazed at his passenger.  The normal speed on the 405 at this time of day is 70.  This guy was fluctuating between 60 and 75.  I think it mirrored his hand motions.

My rule, Do Not Impede the Flow of Traffic!  People passing you on the right, yeah, they are idiots, but there is no good reason to stand in the way of an idiot, unless you like the sport of baiting idiots!
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/25 13:31:14 (permalink)
I've started counting the obliviots driving while on the phone. Incredible! How did these people make it before they were constantly connected to someone else? 
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/25 14:17:14 (permalink)
Four pages of left lane passing at or near the speed limit. Wow, to some us this is mindblowing to even think that you're vehicular speed will even approach 1/3 the posted limit when you drive in near constant gridlock. Even more incredulous is the thought that the police even bother to enforce motor vehicle laws and that they are usually some of the worst offenders. Left lane passing is a bit different where I come from.  When (if you even bother) signal to move into the left lane, the vehicle in the left lane will on cue speed up to prevent you. You fall back and let him pass you and then try again before the vehicle behind him tries to do the same. Another variation on this is to use your horn instead of your left turn signal. Should you find yourself in a single lane and not moving fast enough for the driver behind you, he will more then likely lay on his horn and blow around you in the opposing lane without a clue if there is any space ahead of you.

Welcome to driving in Miami.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/25 14:56:51 (permalink)
Sounds like almost as much fun as driving in Chicago.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/25 16:49:01 (permalink)
mbrookes

I've started counting the obliviots driving while on the phone. Incredible! How did these people make it before they were constantly connected to someone else? 

The good thing about cell phone users driving vehicles is they are usually oblivious to what you are doing coming past them and don't try to speed up or block you or whatever.
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/26 15:11:46 (permalink)
No, they just "drift" over the line into your lane. That's fun. In case there is any doubt, I am TOTALLY opposed to driving and cell phoning.  

Do you mean cars come with turn blinkers now? I thought they had quit making those. So few people use them!
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/26 17:11:48 (permalink)
sop thatMy rule, Do Not Impede the Flow of Traffic!  People passing you on the right, yeah, they are idiots, but there is no good reason to stand in the way of an idiot, unless you like the sport of baiting idiots!
Thats a good rule, and go ahead and call me an idiot but if someone is dinking around in the left lane, I'm by them on the right if they show no sign of moving....no horn, no flashing lights, just a blinker and I'm gone..

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/26 20:00:19 (permalink)
I agree, mbrookes. These morons are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road. Hopefully, in the near future all fifty states ( plus DC ) will have state laws prohibiting talking on a cell phone while the vehicle is in motion.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/26 20:10:10 (permalink)
..probably need to change cars to prevent fiddling with or changing radio stations or CDs while the car is in motion too
sop that
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2009/03/27 12:12:04 (permalink)
Cosmos

I didn’t intend to offend someone that passes on the right, I often pass on the right too.  

What I have observed and was thinking of is the car that fly’s past on the right then nearly hitting the car in front merges left, barely missing the slow moving car. The same type of move from the left is just as bad.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1