The Left Lane Is For Passing!

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2008/12/10 07:58:17 (permalink)

The Left Lane Is For Passing!

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/InsureYourCarDyn.aspx?cp-documentid=15431061>1=33004

There is an article on MSN today regarding people that camp in the left lane not letting people pass or moving over. Police are starting to crack down on these offenders of the road and ticket them. In my opinion people who do this on purpose should lose there liscence. Just like a reckless driver does. I drive over 60,000 miles a year and this is by far the number #1 reason for Road Rage and accidents on the highway. The state of Ohio is the worst the minute you come into Ohio from Michigan the stupidity starts. Michigan, Southern California, Kentucky and Colorado are the best.

I would love to hear from someone who does this and why. What posesses someone to do this? Log on in a different name if you feel you must and give me the other side of this if there is one. I have always wanted to know the the answer to this question.

And to those of you who hate the left lane slo-poke feel free to vent here as well.

...Russ

147 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7896
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 08:26:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/InsureYourCarDyn.aspx?cp-documentid=15431061>1=33004

There is an article on MSN today regarding people that camp in the left lane not letting people pass or moving over. Police are starting to crack down on these offenders of the road and ticket them. In my opinion people who do this on purpose should lose there liscence. Just like a reckless driver does. I drive over 60,000 miles a year and this is by far the number #1 reason for Road Rage and accidents on the highway. The state of Ohio is the worst the minute you come into Ohio from Michigan the stupidity starts. Michigan, Southern California, Kentucky and Colorado are the best.

I would love to hear from someone who does this and why. What posesses someone to do this? Log on in a different name if you feel you must and give me the other side of this if there is one. I have always wanted to know the the answer to this question.

And to those of you who hate the left lane slo-poke feel free to vent here as well.

...Russ

Keep in mind these laws are for people who are going 50mpn in the left lane in a 65mph zone. Not for people who are going 95 mph that want to pass someone going 90mph in a 65 mph zone, as for as those people are concerned....TOO BAD!!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 08:29:24 (permalink)
    I set my cruise a few miles slower than the speed limit. I find that I get better MPG by staying on cruise and the reason I set it slightly lower than the speed limit is that I do not have to get on and off of it. I never block the left lane. If I am caught up in it, I will speed up until I can safely pass.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    PopsDogHouse
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 08:39:35 (permalink)
    I think the bump and run should be legal on the interstate.
    KingCrab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 08:48:59 (permalink)
    I agree with the OP, the self appointed "keepers of the speed", or "left lane bandits" are the most dangerous drivers on the road. Especially the goofs doing this and talking or texting on their cell phones, oblivious to the traffic flow around them.

My daily commute to and from work logs 55,000 miles a year on the highways, and I wish the police would ticket these dangerous, nuisance drivers as well.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 09:23:20 (permalink)

The oblivious people who ride the left lane constitute one of my major annoyances on the highway. For that matter, on multi-lane highways, those who ride the center lane when not passing other vehicles are also failing to obey one of the primary rules of the road in every state, namely, Keep to the right unless you are passing another vehicle.

When I ride the Interstate highways, my usual habit is to ride the right lane--which is almost always virtually devoid of traffic. If I set my cruise control to the speed limit, I find that I am almost always passing people who are in the center lane or the left lane. If they are not passing other vehicles, why are those drivers NOT in the right-hand lane of the highway?

When I approach a highway entrance lane, I move over temporarily to the center lane, in order to allow those in the merging lane to enter the stream of traffic. (This maneuver is frequently referred to as a "complementary lane change") Then, once it is safe for me to move back to the right lane, I do so.

When traveling long-distance on Interstate highways, it is not unusual to come upon a lone vehicle slowly riding the left lane, even though there is not another car in sight ahead of it. IMHO, these people are simply oblivious to both their surroundings and to the laws of the road and are best avoided, simply because someone who is so oblivious to his/her surroundings is unpredictable. By staying in the right lane most of the time, I can give them a very wide berth as I pass them.

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 09:46:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

...Russ

Keep in mind these laws are for people who are going 50mpn in the left lane in a 65mph zone. Not for people who are going 95 mph that want to pass someone going 90mph in a 65 mph zone, as for as those people are concerned....TOO BAD!!!

Not really the law is for people who are not passing in the fast lane. If the speed limit is 65 mph and there is a car in the center lane you must speed up past the car in the center and merge back into the center lane to yeild right of way to future passing cars. The left lane is for passing only not metering the speed of traffic....Russ
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 10:05:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    The left lane is for passing only not metering the speed of traffic....Russ

Sorry, that's absolutely incorrect, I know a *$%&load of people in several states who were ticketed by police for doing the exact same thing (exceeding the speed limit in order to pass in the left lane) - and guess what, for the few that tried to contest it the judge didn't want to hear it.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 10:37:40 (permalink)
    (/me waves to Russ) I'm bad about camping out in the left lane if I'm on a trip going through town. I try to pay good attention to people coming up behind me--but don't always--and when I started dating Julie she read me the riot act about using the left lane in this way, so I'm trying to be better about keeping to the right, because I am driving more and more like an old lady every day.
    Tedbear
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 10:40:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nancypalooza

(/me waves to Russ) I'm bad about camping out in the left lane if I'm on a trip going through town. I try to pay good attention to people coming up behind me--but don't always--and when I started dating Julie she read me the riot act about using the left lane in this way, so I'm trying to be better about keeping to the right, because I am driving more and more like an old lady every day.

Nancy--With all due respect--All you have to do is to remind yourself that if you are not passing someone, then you should not be in a passing lane! The left lane is not a "travel lane".

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 10:44:38 (permalink)
    Here is what the Minnesota Drivers Manual says:

Freeway Speed and Lane Use
    Maintain the same approximate speed as surrounding vehicles, when
    possible, but never exceed the posted speed limits. If you are driving
    at a slower speed than other traffic, stay in the lane nearest to the right
    side of the road.
    Otherwise, choose the lane of traffic moving at the
    speed you prefer and stay in it. If you must change lanes to pass other
    vehicles or to leave the freeway, signal your intent and make sure your
    path is clear before moving over.

It tells you not to speed but I also take it to mean if traffic is speeding and going faster than you and exceeding the speed limit that you should move over to the right lane. It is not your responsibility to enforce the traffic laws and quite frankly could be endangering others in trying to do so.
    Tedbear
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 10:46:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KingCrab

I agree with the OP, the self appointed "keepers of the speed", or "left lane bandits" are the most dangerous drivers on the road. Especially the goofs doing this and talking or texting on their cell phones, oblivious to the traffic flow around them.

My daily commute to and from work logs 55,000 miles a year on the highways, and I wish the police would ticket these dangerous, nuisance drivers as well.

Quite a few years ago, there was a feature on TV news about an elderly retired physician from Maryland or Virginia whose chosen mission was to ride the left lane of the Washington Beltway at precisely 55 mph, because he had appointed himself as the the arbiter of how fast others should drive. According to the coverage, he spent quite a few hours per day, intentionally riding the left lane of that Interstate highway, "enforcing the speed limit".

I wonder how many accidents he caused through this behavior, and I also wonder why he was apparently not ticketed for Failure to keep right.

KingCrab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 10:53:00 (permalink)

I knew these people existed, its too bad the news media gave this guy his 5 minutes of "fame" for such a dangerous,(to himself, and others) reckless act. Also what a sad way to make yourself still feel viable, and important at his age. imho.

Here in Chicagoland that guy would have be lucky if something seriously bad didnt happen to him if he tried that stunt on these roads.

Tedbear
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 10:53:15 (permalink)

Incidentally, if we are talking about common illegal driver behaviors, how about the all-too-common violation of the "Right turn on red" statutes?

In every state with which I am familiar, you are permitted to make a right turn on a red light after coming to a complete stop, so that you can determine whether it is safe to proceed. However, I am beginning to think that I am the only person who actually stops before making that right turn on a red light. Some people do not even slow down significantly, and I have seen quite a few very close calls because of this violation of the statute.

I have even had people sound their horn because I "dared" to obey the law. Have others out there observed this frequent, dangerous violation?

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:06:42 (permalink)
    People who passive aggressively sit in the left hand lane should be ticketed and fined around $10,000.00, second offense, life, no parole.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:08:03 (permalink)
    Here's the law in Florida:

40-6-40.
    (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
    (1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
    (2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway, provided that any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such a distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
    3) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or
    (4) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
    (b) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    (c) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center of the roadway except when authorized by official traffic-control devices designating certain lanes to the left of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes or except as permitted under paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of this Code section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center of the roadway in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.
    (d) No two vehicles shall impede the normal flow of traffic by traveling side by side at the same time while in adjacent lanes, provided that this Code section shall not be construed to prevent vehicles traveling side by side in adjacent lanes because of congested traffic conditions.

Here's[url='http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html']a list [/url]for all states.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:10:11 (permalink)
    Sounds to me like we have some closet wannabe State troopers here!

I guess since we put 60,000 miles on our sole vehicle in 6 years I do not suffer the frustration level some of you do on the roads.

I can tell you if you travel Route 32 between Eastgate and Sardinia much you might have some road rage frustration because those left lane hogs are out here a lot, coming and going.

I have learned to live with them for the most part. I think some do it because they will be turning left in a mile or ten.
    PopsDogHouse
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:16:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:
    Originally posted by KingCrab

Quite a few years ago, there was a feature on TV news about an elderly retired physician from Maryland or Virginia whose chosen mission was to ride the left lane of the Washington Beltway at precisely 55 mph, because he had appointed himself as the the arbiter of how fast others should drive. According to the coverage, he spent quite a few hours per day, intentionally riding the left lane of that Interstate highway, "enforcing the speed limit".

I wonder how many accidents he caused through this behavior, and I also wonder why he was apparently not ticketed for Failure to keep right.

And this kind of behavior is why some people get their a$$es kicked in cases of road rage.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:40:14 (permalink)
    On the Autobahan, they don't sweat the small stuff. We were going 90 MPH or whatever the Kilometers were and people were flying by us..I mean flying by us!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:41:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

Here is what the Minnesota Drivers Manual says:

This must be something that Minnesota drills into you guys because my Minnesota-raised SO was appalled that I had been doing this my whole adult life. Yet another example of the superior education system in Minnesota.

And before you guys get all high-horsey about it, this behavior at least on my part came from the family member who taught me how to drive, and told me it was safest to stay in the lane you will need most of the time--I think they meant in town and I just overgeneralized it to the interstate. I'm not being an 'arbiter of speed' or anything like that. I'm just trying to stay away from the mergers.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:44:44 (permalink)
    Hee Hee...I passed a State Trooper van today...he was in the left lane, I passed him doing 70...he pulled off at the next exit.

My wife went on a business trip with a co-worker many years ago, from Syracuse to Rochester. The woman was a very skittish driver, drove well below the speed limit...and in the left lane...Finally she asked my wife why everyone was honking their horns and flashing their lights at her. My wife explained the passing lane concept to her...somehow she missed that when she studied for her license...So the trip got a little better...she moved to the right lane...but still drove 50mph in a 65...My wife drove the next time..
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:56:14 (permalink)
    A couple of years back Illinois enacted a law that IIRC makes it illegal to travel in the left lane for more than a mile for no apparent reason. Doesn't matter if there's any other traffic around or not. (Flatlanders, am I correct in my understanding of this?)

My experience has been that Wisconsin and Minnesota drivers seem to be the worst left lane loiterers, but I see more of those and Illinois plates than any other. A Wisconsin-raised friend of mine told me that he was told that the left lane is for "faster traffic" so it's OK to just camp out there as long as you're going faster than the right lane, regardless of whether or not any passing's taking place.

Brad
    Tedbear
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 11:56:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

Hee Hee...I passed a State Trooper van today...he was in the left lane, I passed him doing 70...he pulled off at the next exit.

My wife went on a business trip with a co-worker many years ago, from Syracuse to Rochester. The woman was a very skittish driver, drove well below the speed limit...and in the left lane...Finally she asked my wife why everyone was honking their horns and flashing their lights at her. My wife explained the passing lane concept to her...somehow she missed that when she studied for her license...So the trip got a little better...she moved to the right lane...but still drove 50mph in a 65...My wife drove the next time..

As I said in an earlier post, if people are actually this oblivious to what is going on around them (as well as being ignorant of the rules of the road), it is best to give them a very wide berth. Oblivious drivers are extremely unpredictable, simply because they haven't quite mastered the concept that there are other cars on the road and that the actions of one driver can directly impact (both literally and figuratively) on other drivers. When someone is in his/her own little world, that person can be counted on to do something really boneheaded, such as suddenly changing lanes without signalling and without checking to see if there is another car in their blind spot.

Incidentally, in case anyone is interested, I have driven for approximately 37 years/500,000 miles without a vehicular accident.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 13:46:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

Incidentally, in case anyone is interested, I have driven for approximately 37 years/500,000 miles without a vehicular accident.

That's just plain weird. You must send out invisible repulser rays. I have been driving for 39 years, and have been crashed into repeatedly. One guy even backed up across a road to hit me while I was stopped at a stop sign. The last one was three years ago, when some fool tried to cross three lanes of traffic on US-1 from a Burger King parking lot. He made it across two of them, before I hit his car at about 30mph. Didn't even see him until he crossed my lane about 20 feet in front of me. Now I too have experienced the pleasure of air bag deployment!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10398
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 14:05:38 (permalink)
    A buddy of mine is one of those people who just sit in the left lane and never leave. It doesn't take long until I start giving him grief about it. He tells me he just doesn't like to switch lanes. As if that is a reasonable justification for doing something so dumb and dangerous.

Almost all of my accidents have been deer related. Such is life in western PA!
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1851
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 14:16:25 (permalink)
    My sig other is a left lane driver. She'll go there to pass someone then just never go back. No reason, just camps out over there driving 65.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 14:36:14 (permalink)
    Living in different states I have noticed consistent driving techniques among its inhabitants, many of which are very predictable.
    Seattle had to be the funniest (yet at the same time the saddest)
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 15:00:18 (permalink)
    There should be one simple rule. If someone is driving faster than you move over to the right. You're supposed to be cognizant of everything around you including autos approaching you from the rear. I think people passing on your right is much more dangerous because it is much more difficult to monitor your right side rear view mirror and it takes your eye off the road ahead of you more. Also if a faster car is forced to move over in the right lane to pass they are also forced to move into a slower moving lane. That is also not a good situation. So move the H E double hockey sticks to the right if you cannot keep up with the prevailing speed no matter what it is.

In England it is the law that you stay over (the left lane in their case) at all times except to pass. When everyone understands and behaves accordingly it sure makes for safer driving. That's what I observed in England.
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 15:13:42 (permalink)
    Many years ago Richard Petty of NASCAR fame was running for Sec. of State for NC. Some jerk was camped in the left lane. Mr. Petty flashed lights, used horn all to no avail. So he did a bump and run! The jerk did move, but pressed charges. Mr.Petty lost the election, but not by much. Pitty he didn't win, would have been nice to see a person with "problem solving" skills in office.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! 2008/12/10 15:43:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wabbit

Some jerk was camped in the left lane. Mr. Petty flashed lights, used horn all to no avail. So he did a bump and run! The jerk did move, but pressed charges.

The guy could have claimed "serious injuries" too, guess what though, the insurance company won't pay it as this would be considered an intentional act.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1