The Little Top - Greenville TN

Author
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
2008/02/26 07:08:14 (permalink)

The Little Top - Greenville TN

I logged in to gotricities.com this morning to read Fred's (Sauceman) latest article only to find it about The Little Top drive-thru in Greenville TN.

The article was great but oddly enough I ate there just yesterday (for the first time) as I was driving through Greenville.

Apparently I should have ordered the chipburger because the regular cheeseburger and fries were as bad as I have eaten in many years.

Regardless, here's Fred's excellent article about the chipburger..

http://www.gotricities.com/content/article.dna?idNumber=5309

7 Replies Related Threads

sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: The Little Top - Greenville TN 2008/02/26 08:20:16 (permalink)
    RibRater,

Yes, you're quite right. Ignore the burger. There will be a second Little Top article this Thursday. Greeneville is my hometown, so I had many meals at The Little Top's ancestor, The Big Top.

Fred
    RibRater
    RE: The Little Top - Greenville TN 2008/02/26 09:11:44 (permalink)
    Looking forward to it, thanks Fred.

(If you could pick up the pace a little on writing these articles I would probably miss a bad sandwich or two around here )
    RibRater
    RE: The Little Top - Greenville TN 2008/02/26 09:46:44 (permalink)
    Hey Fred,

I was just thinking again about the food I ate yesterday. It sure seems to me that for the $5.50 i paid, that place could serve a freshly made hamburger and handcut fries..and still make a tidy profit.

I often wonder why small places don't do just that and make a name for themselves locally for really good food. (The chipburger may or may not be but I'm just talking about the burger part of the menu).

I went to a new local hotdog place over in Piney Flats and, although they had only been open a week, the food was just food. I could have walked to the Hardees 50 feet away and got the same thing. I see now that he has a Nathan's sign up so I need to get back in and give them another try but I don't understand why you would open a place these days and not even try to stand out by doing things different and fresh.

Sysco rules I guess but it's still a little disappointing when these places could do so much more with not much more effort.

ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: The Little Top - Greenville TN 2008/02/26 10:52:31 (permalink)
    Larry,

Had a pretty good pork plate at a place called the "Chuckwagon BBQ" in Greeneville a few weeks back. Family run place with the husband doing the cooking and wife and daughter running the counter. 249 East Andrew Johnson Highway (11E)in Greeneville. To keep this somewhat on topic I have passed the little top many times as my job job used to take me to Greeneville every Monday. For some reason I never stopped. Now that I've read Fred's article and your comments it's probably just as well as I would've had a cheeseburger. Ham sandwiches just don't do much for me.

Charlie
    RibRater
    RE: The Little Top - Greenville TN 2008/02/26 12:28:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ces1948

Larry,

Had a pretty good pork plate at a place called the "Chuckwagon BBQ" in Greeneville a few weeks back. Family run place with the husband doing the cooking and wife and daughter running the counter. 249 East Andrew Johnson Highway (11E)in Greeneville. To keep this somewhat on topic I have passed the little top many times as my job job used to take me to Greeneville every Monday. For some reason I never stopped. Now that I've read Fred's article and your comments it's probably just as well as I would've had a cheeseburger. Ham sandwiches just don't do much for me.

Charlie

Sounds good to me Charlie..will certainly give that place a go when I'm over there. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, the chipped ham thing is not really me but if I knew that was their "specialty" I would have ordered that before the burger just to try it out.

Buckshot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: The Little Top - Greenville TN 2008/03/19 18:46:49 (permalink)
    Fred Sauceman,

When I was in high school going to away football games, we (the team) would travel by bus through Greenville and stop to eat at a place on 11E, something like "King Arthur's Court". In later years (somewhere around '69 or '70) my wife and I were introduced to a pretty good place downstairs, I think it was called the "Camelot Room". Best I remember they had good steaks! How long have these places been gone?

Buckshot
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: The Little Top - Greenville TN 2008/08/18 18:00:32 (permalink)
    Buckshot,

Sorry I'm so late in responding. Yes, your memory is correct. In fact, I grew up between King Arthur's Court and The Igloo! King Arthur's Court was a motel in Greeneville, with a restaurant upstairs that served French dip sandwiches, had fish fries on Fridays, and a Sunday buffet. Downstairs was the Camelot Room, which, in its day, was a first-rate steakhouse. The building still stands, but food hasn't been served there for years. The Camelot Room was Greeneville's "elegant" restaurant in the 1960s.

Fred Sauceman
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1