The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival

Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2126
2008/12/15 13:43:25 (permalink)

The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival

Great news about the Roadfood Eating Tour of 2009! It is going to be the best opportunity yet to indulge in exemplary regional food elbow-to-elbow with Roadfood friends and regional cuisine connoisseurs from all over the map.

2009 is going to be very different from previous years' bus tours. Rather than driving from location to location, activities will center around a culinary block party that Roadfood.com is hosting together with New Orleans food people: The first annual Louisiana Roadfood Festival. This dream-eats event is going to take place in the French Quarter the weekend of April 4 & 5. The festival's theme is "Louisiana's Legendary Roadside Eats in the Heart of New Orleans," meaning that sixteen of the finest Roadfood cooks from all over the state will be coming to the festival to serve their specialties (think boudin sausage, meat pies, oyster loaves, fried catfish, gumbo, and jambalaya). The festival is going to be open to the public and most proceeds will benefit Cafe Reconcile, the New Orleans restaurant that provides at-risk kids the opportunity to learn the food service business. (www.cafereconcile.com)

The Festival's exact details, including good deals on hotels, are still being worked out and will be announced well in advance on the Roadfood.com home page. But one thing is certain now: a limited number of folks from Roadfood.com will be having our own fais do-do (that's Cajun for PAR-TEE) the night of Saturday, April 4. We are writing this letter to alert you well in advance.

Here is the plan for the Roadfood.com get-together. The 110 people who have bought tickets in advance will set out in two buses from the festival Saturday evening, about 6pm, for a picnic in the Louisiana lowlands a half-hour from the city. Here we are going to dive into a proper feast of what is arguably America's most distinctive regional cuisine, the menu including a full-scale crawfish boil (April is the peak of crawfish season), a shrimp boil, an open-pit pig roast, corn and potatoes, and sausage-and-chicken jambalaya. Plus all the beer and wine you can drink! Live local music and entertainment will be on hand to add to the Cajun flavor. It is sure to be a memorable evening of eating, drinking, dancing, story-telling, socializing, and picture-taking. Tickets will be $95 per person, including everything: food, beer, wine, entertainment, and transportation to and from the French Quarter.

Tickets (which make a fine Christmas present!) will go on sale for Roadfood Insiders on Friday the 19th at 1 PM ET at http://www.roadfood.com/insider/store/louisianaeatingtour/ and on December 23rd for everyone else. Considering how fast previous year's tours have sold out, we strongly advise you not delay if you do want to be part of this very special evening of Bayou delights and Roadfood camaraderie.

19 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10283
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 13:53:08 (permalink)
    Although I am a fan of the traditional Roadfood bus tours that have been held in the past, this does sound rather amazing.

Stephen-
    Is there a limit on how many tickets you can puchase? I'm still not sure how many will be in my party. Once I mentioned NOLA, several others said they wanted to come.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 14:05:58 (permalink)
    BuffetBuster - We have set an 8 ticket limit. Let me know if you think your party will exceed that number and I can bump it up.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 14:14:17 (permalink)
    Stephen-
    Eight will more than cover me, thank you. I checked out the website for Cafe Reconcile and it looks like a terrific cause.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 15:19:37 (permalink)
    As I read the introductory post I see an open-to-the-public party on Friday and Saturday to which Roadfooders can purchase tickets. There also appears to be no free time at all. If I'm correct, I'm seriously disappointed.

Admittedly I've been on only two of the April tours, but for me the most appealing feature was the cameraderie of the group as we met in different places both on the bus tour part and then as smaller groups met on their own.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'd surely like to find a way to like it better!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 16:00:08 (permalink)
    Rick, Here is a quick summary:

Saturday 11 AM to 7 PM we are having a street festival in the French Quarter. It is open to the public, and about 16 restaurants from around the state of Louisiana will be serving yummy eats. Many other activities will occur during the day, but we can't officially announce anything (except that we are building the worlds longest po-boy).

Saturday 6 PM to 10:30 PM - Roadfood Bus Tour. This is going to be an intimate event where you have to purchase tickets. It includes everything - food, beer, transportation, tax, tip.

Saturday 11 AM to 7 PM - Street festival continuation.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3726
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 16:12:24 (permalink)
    I would have to say that this does not seem like my idea of Roadfood. The street event sends like it has the potential of being very crowded and not Roadfood fun. I have never been on a tour but if the opportunity arises, I would go for the Roadfood people on a bus tour.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5420
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 20:00:01 (permalink)
    I'm talking to PP right now about going.

Is there anything planned for Sunday? Doesn't look like it.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/15 20:19:32 (permalink)
    Events are going to be planned throughout the weekend, but we can't confirm anything else right now.
    stooli
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/16 16:10:11 (permalink)
    Any policy on children, my friends brought their two toddlers on the first tour in chicago and are interested again. The kids are about 6 and 4 now - would they be allowed and would they need tickets?

Dan from FL
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/16 17:44:05 (permalink)
    Dan, I think it is fine to bring kids to the event. It should be a family friendly environment, although, we won't have activities specifically for kids. Send me an email when you purchase your tickets and I will refund you 50% of the fee for each of your children.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2941
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/18 09:24:52 (permalink)
    Stephen - I'm an older looking 12 year old...hoping to get the same deal!  My Uncle Buffetbuster will accompany me! 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/21 17:11:23 (permalink)
    Don't fall for it Stephen!  What CTD really means is that he and I plan on eating for 12!

You are undoubtedly still working out the all the details, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that one of the restauranteurs coming in will be Lionel Robin from Robin's.  I have been reading that Roadfood review for years and have yet to make it to his place.  The photo of his crawfish etouffe looks incredible! 
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/23 17:04:59 (permalink)
    A Roadfood street festival sounds fantastic! What a great idea! It's hard to get around to every place in NOLA and you are gathering them together for our convenience.

It just so happens that will be almost the 5th anniversary of our wedding in NOLA so we were thinking of headin down to celebrate anyways! See you all there!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2008/12/28 10:03:15 (permalink)
    UPDATE - All tickets have been sold.

There is a strong possibility we will be releasing more tickets, but we won't know the exact number for a couple more weeks.  Nonetheless, it is still worth heading down to NOLA for the street festival and for participating in eating the worlds longest po-boy.  It is going to be an incredible weekend.

Stephen
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2009/01/02 12:11:08 (permalink)
    Stephen -

Do you know when the hotel info will become availble?  Also, if it is a negotiation point, it would be nice to have any special rates extended to the Thursday also.  Thanks and Happy New Year! 
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2009/01/02 13:42:56 (permalink)
    We are in the process of negotiating with a few hotels in/near the French Quarter.  It will probably be a 3/4 star caliber property with a rate between $120-180/night.  The sales managers were on break between Xmas and Jan 5th, so I hope to have some more info a week or two after that.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2009/01/02 15:05:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update!
    joseiw2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2009/01/13 22:35:37 (permalink)
    We are getting our trip in order, and wanted to know when we should fly/drive in and out.  The last info I saw on scheduling said something on Sunday,  but I don't know how badly I need my wife to miss watching the NCAA for this, so I don't know how to schedule yet.  Any more clues?

Joe S.
    Wichita, KS
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:The Louisiana Roadfood Eating Tour & Festival 2009/01/14 07:48:48 (permalink)
    We are REALLY close to making an announcement.  If everything goes according to plan we will give a full release by the end of the week.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1