The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The "MOOSE" has multiplied

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
The "MOOSE" has multiplied Fri, 05/11/07 5:16 PM (permalink)
I just learned that the people who operate the Moose cafe at the Asheville, NC farmers market have opened one at the Greensboro farmers market. I sure hope that the Greensboro location serves up the chow equal to the one in Asheville. Greensboro is just 70 miles from me while it is 130 miles to Asheville.

If no one else beats me to it, I will get down there and put together a review for you sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Chiliman

• Total Posts: 197
    RE: The "MOOSE" has multiplied Sat, 05/12/07 3:19 AM (permalink)
    I will be at the G-boro Farmers Market today for the CASI State Championship Chili Cook-off. I'll have to give it a run.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
      RE: The "MOOSE" has multiplied Sun, 06/17/07 8:05 AM (permalink)
      I finally made it down to the Moose in Greensboro last night. The service and the apple butter were great--but nothing else was.

Maybe it was just because we didn't get there until 8:00 and were the last people served for the week. The cold biscuits served with the signature apple butter forecast what was to come. We knew not to expect freshly cooked food when our fried chicken and 6 vegetables were brought to the table within 2 minutes after we placed our order.

The food was far below what we had expected based on our previous visits to the Moose in Asheville. The carrots, pinto beans and sweet potato were decent, but I have had better fried chicken from the travel food case beside the cash register at gas stations, the cold clump of macaroni and cheese was like glue and the inedible green beans and cabbage tasted canned. The cashier insisted that their vegetables were fresh rather than canned, but if these had been fresh in the morning they must have been warmed up many times during the course of the day since they were so terribly overcooked.

Incidentally, when the cashier asks the inevitable "how was everything", I tell them.

I will try this location the next time I'm passing by at breakfast time to see if they can screw that up too. This was a terrible disappointment made even worse by the fact that it would have been a shorter drive to go to Lexington # 1 for barbecue!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com