"The Mayor"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
2003/11/04 18:08:42 (permalink)

"The Mayor"

I just talked with the "Mayor" and he is in Panama City, FL and he indicated that he wish to tell all that he was overdosing on seafood. He was in Mexico Beach and had a seafood platter for $13 which included 22 shrimp, 14 oysters and 14 scallops and shared a portion with McDuff. My guess is a small portion.

He ate at the Crab Shack out of Savannah where Janet had shrimp scampi and he indicated it was just as good as roadfooders described.

He will be back in southern Indiana Saturday where he will share his trip with all.

I got a feeling the little dog McDuff will be a big dog when he returns. He sends his special regards to Bushie.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

46 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/04 18:34:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

He was in Mexico Beach and had a seafood platter for $13 which included 22 shrimp, 14 oysters and 14 scallops...

Holy &%$*&%*^$!!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7020
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/04 19:45:40 (permalink)
    He's trying to make us all jealous and doing a damn fine job! WOOF!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/07 19:13:49 (permalink)
    Roadtrip report Fall 2003

We loaded up the dog and more junk than we would ever need and headed out last Saturday (11/1). We got a few showers between Louisville and Lexington, but the Sun came out as we turned south on I-75 and headed for Knoxville and a meeting with Paul (Sundancer) and his Mother. When we met at Newport TN, Paul guided us a few miles out of town to Carvers Orchard and Dinner House in the tiny town of Cosby,TN. The ladies enjoyed some great Catfish, while Paul and I ordered Pork Chops and Country Ham. After this delicious lunch we wandered through the apple processing area and fruit stand. It was fun watching the grading and sorting machines working to organize the Fall Crop. We bought some squash and apples to take along with us and Some fried apple pies-fresh from the fryer then headed out to seek our fortune! Thanks Paul, for a very enjoyable afternoon. It was great to meet your Mom and to finally get to share some time with you.

We traveled a number of back-roads that afternoon, arriving in Spartanburg, South Carolina fairly late in the evening. We had eaten so much for lunch and the fruit we took along with us that a stop at the Beacon Drive-In in Spartanburg was more than we could handle that night.
    DAY TWO- Sunday.
    We headed down a series of back-roads that run beside I-26 from Spartanburg to Charleston stopping at a couple of Flea Markets along the way. Upon arrival in Charleston in time for lunch we headed for JESTINE’S KITCHEN following Stern’s recommendations. Never disappointed with their reviews, we were quite happy to share a good combination seafood lunch. The Coca Cola Cake was more like a rich brownie than a cake, but it was quite good! We looked around the Historic District of Charleston for most of the afternoon and then began the search for theWRECK in Mt. Pleasant, across the river from Charleston. Now that was a project !! With a little help via the cell-phone, we located the place. As you can see –no sign- no ads…nothing gives away its business, yet folks find it and rave about the food.

The Menu (see below) was the basic fresh shore and sea food. It is really nice to sit overlooking the Bay, with just screens between you and the sea. Temps in the upper 70's made it a very pleasant evening for this sort of dining.

More in the next segment......

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/07 21:08:56 (permalink)
    The Saga Continues---

Road-Trip DAY 3 – Charleston SC to Brunswick GA

Following U S 17 south out of Charleston we crossed the low country salt flats, stopping now and then to add some local foodstuffs to our growing collection. We both really like fruit butters, especially after experimenting with producing some of our own for the first time this year. We found Cherry and various berry spreads that are proving to be quite good.
    We wanted to lunch at Tybee Island trying the Crab Shack as recommended by many of you. It proved to be a good choice. Arriving mid-afternoon made for a very uncrowded dining room.

The lunch was really quite good. Sausage, Shrimp, Corn and New Potatos in a "Low-Country Boil" for me and Escalloped Shrimp and veggies for Jan.

Even McDuff Loved the fresh Shrimp!

We headed on down to Brunswick,GA for a night at Jekyll Island and some time on the Beach.NOTE--NOTE-- NOTE--- We usually use Triple A guides to help pick out our nightly lodging on these trips. For some reason we picked up one of the throw-away booklets from the Welcome Center on the highway as we entered Georgia. It had ads for many motels at very large discounts. We figured that most of these were 'come-ons' with no actual rooms available at the rates quoted. We called the DAYS INN on Jekyll Island to check on a "$39.95" room rate for two. The triple A guide quoted the cheapest room in that Motel at $89 and up !! Sure enough they offered us a room for the advertised rate of $39.95. When we arrived we found the place far exceeded our expectations. It was Beautiful, and almost empty. The Fall rate change had just gone into effect and the Winter folks had not come down in force (yet).

DAY 4- Brunswick GA to Panama City FL

We followed the Amtrak line west from Jacksonville, watching and listening for rail activity as we traveled. At Perry FL we picked up U S 98 and skirted the beaches for the rest of the time on the Florida panhandle. A late Lunch stop in Mexico Beach yielded a seafood platter the likes of which I have never seen in a "Non-Buffet" before. Paul got the mixture close but reality was even better. In addition to the slaw, fries and Onion Rings I had over a measuring cup of Fried Scallops, 22 fried Oysters, 16 Jumbo Shrimp and a handfull of Boiled Shrimp with a garlic-butter coating. After a lunch like that Dinner was going to be a cup of soup and some TUMS !!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/07 21:36:02 (permalink)
    We had a couple of goals established for this trip...
    1. We wanted to pick up a cooler full of shrimp and Seafood in Pensacola to have available for some of the colder months to come.
    2. We wanted to get McDuff used to multi-day roadtrips so this was to be a training session for him. He did quite well.
    3. We also wanted to get out of town for awhile, and this route seemed to be just the ticket ! The weather was perfect, the traffic (mostly) light, and the costs moderate in lodging and fuel...to be made up at the dinner table !!

We spent the night of DAY 4 in Panama City, getting an Oceanfront room right on the beach for LESS than $40 (for a Pets Welcome" Motel, that's cheap).

Day 5 was spent around the Pensacola area. We looked at the Wolf Bay Lodge and would like to stop there for dinner on our next trip, but this time we did some shopping and headed to MONTANAS for dinner. The combination BBQ and Seafood was an interesting meal to be sure.

MONTANAs has a real deal going for us older folks. The dinner Buffet is normally $9.99 for adults, but they have an 'Early bird Senior Citizen' rate from 4-6pm charging only $6.00 for the same choices. Now I guess they think we won't do the damage to the Buffet that some younger people might...hehehe I think they know better now !!

Next day it was time to stop by JoePatti's Seafood market and load up 15 lbs of Shrimp and 5 lbs of Scallops all nicely iced down and just off the boat that morning.

It was a quick run up I-65--12 hours including pit-stops and Pecan Breaks to Louisville. The final photo is Duff's reaction to the last day's ride.

And that , My Friends is what I did on my Fall Vacation... Pass the Cocktail Sauce please....

Thanks to the Great Texas BushMaster for all the Technical Support.!!
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/07 22:12:55 (permalink)
    You covered alot of miles there, Mr. Mayor. Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the report and we're all glad you made it home safely.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/07 22:26:11 (permalink)
    2230 miles, Cheapest Gas was in Brunswick GA at $1.27 Highest just across the line in Florida $1.59 plus...
    It was a fun time!
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/07 22:43:33 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great trip Mr Mayor & McDuff looks like a real charmer. From owning a cairn I can tell you, you'll have your hands full with one of the Scottish breeds. They're independent little cusses but with hearts a mile wide.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/08 03:04:49 (permalink)
    Oh man, I just want to jump into that picture and eat that plate of ribs! Good photography!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/08 07:40:59 (permalink)
    Great trip!Amazing seafood platter!!!!And I notice a Handy Blues and Barbecue Fest tshirt---if your going to be there in 2004--i will meet you there for lunch.--In fact it would make a great meeting place for alot of roadfooders---great music--killer food! I am on a board of directors for a nonprofit group thats involved with a 13 yr old festival here in Oklahoma and we want to attend as many events put on by the Blues Foudation--thats the Handy folks--as possible so we have chance to study their production systems and network with other folks doing festivals and "Blues In The Schools"-which is a pet project around here. Anyway--loved the narrative and appreciate the reviews!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/08 08:12:35 (permalink)
    Tiki, M'Boy... You have said the magic words! We enjoy a couple of days in Henderson each year at festival time. It is only a little over a hundred miles downriver from us. We don't do the whole week, but have joined in the 'Zydeco night' and the weekend music programs. The patriotic theme to the Tee-shirt from 2002 was an outstanding graphic to select for the event. Put us on your schedule and plan to enjoy a solid BBQ meal at the Moonlite in Owensboro (only 30 minutes away from Festival Park).
    Remember that when you enjoy BBQ in Western Kentucky it's usually BAAAAAAAAAAAd !!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/08 12:00:50 (permalink)
    I'm going to South Carolina in April, but this makes me want to go RIGHT NOW!

McDuff is just cute!
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/08 17:34:29 (permalink)
    Mayor, Tjis is one the THE best accounts of a roadtrip I have seen yet. Thanks for giving us all the bite by bite details.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/08 18:42:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the triplog, Mr. Mayor! That Crab Shack looks good to me!

My favorite picture, though, is the one with Jan and McDuff down on the beach. That's got a real special feel to it...
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/08 22:22:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Tiki, M'Boy... You have said the magic words! We enjoy a couple of days in Henderson each year at festival time. It is only a little over a hundred miles downriver from us. We don't do the whole week, but have joined in the 'Zydeco night' and the weekend music programs. The patriotic theme to the Tee-shirt from 2002 was an outstanding graphic to select for the event. Put us on your schedule and plan to enjoy a solid BBQ meal at the Moonlite in Owensboro (only 30 minutes away from Festival Park).
    Remember that when you enjoy BBQ in Western Kentucky it's usually BAAAAAAAAAAAd !!

Your on!! and any of you others music fans really ought to jion us!!!And i dont mind it BAAAAAAAAAd as long as it GOOOOOOOOOOOd!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 06:17:05 (permalink)
    Folks,
    On my machine the photo spaces in my report are blank this morning???Don't know why?? Is this happening to you too? Anyone know why?
    AL
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 09:13:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Folks,
    On my machine the photo spaces in my report are blank this morning???Don't know why?? Is this happening to you too? Anyone know why?
    AL

They are the same way on mine. I thought perhaps "netnanny" was blocking those highly erotic BBQ photos

Is the website they are linked to down? Can't think of any other reason that they might have gone missing.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 09:38:35 (permalink)
    I use Bushie's website..when I checked it a short time ago, my photos were messed up there...so as soon as he wakes up I hope we can get it straightened out...
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 10:19:15 (permalink)
    Maybe the photo problem has cleared up for everyone by now, but photos are showing up in all their spots on my machine. However, has anyone else had any difficulty in loggin in last few days; like frequently taking three tries to get name and password accepted?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 10:31:15 (permalink)
    strange...they(photos of my trip) are still not coming on here... I use the 'rember my sign-in feature...so I haven't logged in for months. Have no trouble getting onto the site 95% of the time
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 10:52:31 (permalink)
    I am not able to view these pix either. Too bad--I'd love to see them. What's up?
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 11:50:09 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, you are right, there is some problem with the website this morn. Just went to topic of your trip and this time got same "no pictures" as you and everyone else is experiencing. Did find some pictures open in some other posts, tho, when could get to them. More difficult (take longer time or have to do and redo) than usual to get a number of topics to open just now.
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 11:53:38 (permalink)
    Al, I am profoundly jealous....and now craving seafood.....which is pretty expensive here in SW Ohio.........
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 12:03:37 (permalink)
    It's hard to brag when you can't show-off the photo's. I think the difficulty is in the site they are posted too. We are working on it. Other thread photos seem to be ok. So come back tonight..we will try to get this straight by then.
    We suffer the lack of seafood here in Kentuciana also. Captain D's just doen't do it for us. Now I have an Iodine surplus...but by Spring we will need another trip !!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 17:52:13 (permalink)
    Everyone, there is some problem with my web area. I can't even access it! And yes, I've paid the bill.

I've been gone all day, but Mr. Mayor contacted me on my mobile phone and made me aware of the problem. As of yet, I can't explain it.

Y'all just use your imaginations to envision the food pictures for now. Think positive thoughts...
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 20:12:05 (permalink)
    Sorry, no photo's today. Glad I saw the bunch when you posted them. Mr. Rushmore???? What's going on???
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/09 22:40:09 (permalink)
    dendan..Patience...It isn't this site. We have a problem with the ISP site that we post them to to be able to drag them into the ext here. Bushie is working on it. We hope to get them reloaded soon.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/10 08:22:21 (permalink)
    Latest word: Something happened with my ISP on Saturday, and the problem still isn't resolved. It affected everyone in this area, so it's not just "my page" that is experiencing the problem. As Mr. Mayor said, it has nothing to do with the Roadfood site.

Bottom line is that 1) the pictures I put on there for Mr. Mayor got deleted, and 2) I can't access the page to do any maintenance until the ISP fixes the problem they are having.

This will hopefully get resolved soon.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: "The Mayor" 2003/11/10 08:23:48 (permalink)
    Mayor,
    Thanks. I know others will want to see them.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1