The Most Unusual Pasta Dish???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6322
2008/08/06 14:58:22 (permalink)

The Most Unusual Pasta Dish???

I love Pasta!! We eat it every Sunday...but I rarely order it out,because,quite frankly,I make much of what is on many menues, and I believe, better. We search for restaurants that serve pasta in unusual ways...not the standard fair...or not simply add on ingredients...it's not easy to please me,I'm sorry.
Rivoli's in Toms River NJ has some unusual dishes using interesting ingredients like a votka dish with asparagas...I love pasta ala roma(with peas...or Florentine(with spinach) in various combinations.
Any great,unusual pasta dishes you've had that you can share with me?
Thanks,I'm adventurous, and will try to match it!

52 Replies Related Threads

fattybomatty
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:22:45 (permalink)
    Lee...at the bridgewater Manor in Bridgewater NJ there's an italian restaurant called the Tropea that I ate at years ago that made a pasta in a cream sauce with Caviar. I never had caviar before so I tried it. It was ok, but nothing great. I checked out the menu and it doesn't have it listed on the menu anymore. That's probably the most unusual dish I have had at an italian restaurant
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:22:50 (permalink)
    Hi Leethebard....there are two pasta dishes I can think of right off. One of them I saw on The Barefoot Contessa and we liked it a lot. It is Pasta, Pesto and Peas. I think she used bow ties pasta, and I can't recall the amounts, but that is something one could do to taste. At any rate, it is good and good served room temperature.

The other one I did a long time ago and again, can't recall amounts, but another one that can be done "to taste". Use spaghetti or whatever pasta you prefer, and make a sauce of melted Bleu Cheese, olive oil and broken pieces of walnut. It is different and we thought quite tasty. I like to try different ways with pasta also and it is fun to experiment.

Donna
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:32:02 (permalink)
    Two great choices,Donna. We make pesto qa lot,especially with all the basil in our garden...and i love peas..an interesting combination I've got to try....and the blue cheese with walnuts sounds very good also!!! Thanks!
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:43:35 (permalink)
    Hi interesting thread......I happen to love pasta with anchovies, good quality truffle oil and herbs like basil or parsley. Another one of my favorites is pasta carbonnera.....I know it is not very unusual though.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 16:56:48 (permalink)
    We also love to make a quick sauce with what we get out of our garden...zuchinni,basil,fresh plum tomatoes, some peas..to which we add various mushrooms,olives,capers,and a drizzle of Evo!!...but that isn't the question I posed, so sorry...got carried away!
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:01:28 (permalink)
    Lee, where is Rivoli's in Toms River? My Mom lives in Whiting and I am always looking for different places to eat.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:08:12 (permalink)
    It's on Fischer Blvd,near the end closer to rt.37. It's pretty well known..they serve their dishes in large serving bowls to each customer...portions just about no one can finish...they're famous for that...and at a very nice price...you get to take home another meal too!!!!Some great pasta combinations. Try the Chicken Monica with fettucini!

Here's their website...Enjoy!!!!!
    http://www.rivolis.com/
    fattybomatty
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:08:15 (permalink)
    Lee I know this isn't very unusual, but my favorite dish is tortellini carbonara with the cream sauce, peas, and proscuitto. If I see it on a menu I always get it
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:09:45 (permalink)
    Not unusual at all...delicious!!!!! Peas and any pasta are great.
    fattybomatty
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:12:27 (permalink)
    I actually like this other one I have where they use sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms instead of the peas and proscuitto. Basically, you can give me tortellini in a cream sauce with almost anything else thrown in and I'll eat it
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8523
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:15:07 (permalink)
    I have a variation of Donnas recipe-add pesto to the mix of blue cheese and walnuts-and the last two minutes of cooking the pasta, add asparagus-drain,mix together and it is a wonderful dish.Hot or cold!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:15:16 (permalink)
    Now there's a great add in for pasta...sun dried tomatoes...gives the dish a great flavor!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:26:44 (permalink)
    Ok, it's a homemade dish. Take half a head of cabbage and shred it the width of linguine (sp)throw it in the pot with your pasta while making a cream sauce. To the cream sauce add your parm. and a couple of interesting additions: one is red pepper flakes, fresh thinly sliced garlic, and thin slices of Smithfield country ham. The key is to try and have everything the same size. By the time your pasta is cooked, your cabbage is tender and ready to eat. We mix it together with the sauce and have some freshly made garlic bread and a cold bottle of wine.

Dennis in Cary
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:28:01 (permalink)
    I like the pasta with bottarga (dried fish roe)...you can google the word to come up with recipes...it sounds strange, but the flavor is great....and only sprinkled with breadcumbs, not cheese (a major no-no in Italy for pretty much most seafood/fish-based pasta sauces).

Pasta with sardines is another nice dish I've eaten in Italy (I think they add pinenuts and raisins to the sauce)....an interesting combo of sweet and sour flavors.
    However, I remember eating the dish in an upscale Italian restaurant in New York, and I was not thrilled with the dish at all...I think the quality of fresh sardines that we get in the States just aren't the same as those in Italy...but it may be just a personal taste preference.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 18:21:21 (permalink)
    Lee,

One simple pasta dish I like to make has a bit of a southern twist. Although simple it is quite tasty. I do it in the microwave but you can do it any way you like.

Cook and drain pasta, I use medium to large shells usually. Set aside
    Combine a can of Sylvia's Collard Greens (the best), a can of Cannellini beans and a jar of quality Alfredo sauce...heat and stir.
    Add sauce mixture to pasta. Heat and stir briefly. That's it... very simple and fast.

What makes this dish remarkable is the Sylvia's Collard Greens. They are smoky, have deep down flavor and are amazingly vegetarian which makes the entire dish vegetarian. The Cannellini beans nestle nicely into the shells while the Alfredo binds all together, with the collards caressing all.

You can substitute ingredients for most of the ingredients here except for the Sylvia's Collard Greens. It is really the greens that make the dish really different and good.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 18:51:16 (permalink)
    Very Interesting Greyghost,
    I've had dishes with spinach added to a white sauce,but never collard greens.I can see where the flavor would be a nice addition to the white sauce...thanks for rhe tip...
    ...and yes tacchino...the breadcrumbs are a nice variation from the parmesan or romano classics...my grandma used to sprinkle it on spaghetti way back when!!!
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 18:52:08 (permalink)
    Paprika broccoli pasta.

In a pan, stick of butter and a tbs olive oil, saute 3 minced cloves of garlic,broccoli chopped, canned tomatoes (just the tomatoes, no juice) squeeze them dry. WHen broccoli softened, add 2 tbs paprika and handful of chopped parsley, few shakes of red pepper flakes, saute a few minutes more, add salt and black pepper.

Add to boiled rotini. Shave some parmesan on top.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 19:09:09 (permalink)
    We make this dish Fabulousoyster,only we use Penne or Rigatoni!!
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:22:35 (permalink)
    Welsh style mac & cheese is a nice way to combine cultures. Combining sharp cheddar, English ale, Coleman's mustard, Lea & Perrins and hot pepper with Cavatappi pasta makes for an amazingly tasty mac & cheese. Beats that creamy bland stuff every time.

I guess you would call this one, "The Welsh Rabbit visits Italy".
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:25:32 (permalink)
    When I worked at Lidia's Kansas City we made this unusual filled pasta with pureed butternut squash, mostarda di cremona (Italian for mustard fruit, a sort of chutney, preserved spicy fruit with mustard seeds) and, if I remember correctly, fresh marjoram and butter. It was quite unusual, and quite delicious.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:35:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

When I worked at Lidia's Kansas City we made this unusual filled pasta with pureed butternut squash, mostarda di cremona (Italian for mustard fruit, a sort of chutney, preserved spicy fruit with mustard seeds) and, if I remember correctly, fresh marjoram and butter. It was quite unusual, and quite delicious.

Now see,that's the kind of dish I'm talking about,unusual and an eye catcher...and delicious sounding enough to order it!!!!
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:48:41 (permalink)
    Toasted (browned in Olive Oil) breadcrumbs topping a pasta will also be on tonights menu for us: I'm making Ziti with gypsy peppers, anchovies, capers, and peperoncino as we speak.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:54:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster

Paprika broccoli pasta.

In a pan, stick of butter and a tbs olive oil, saute 3 minced cloves of garlic,broccoli chopped, canned tomatoes (just the tomatoes, no juice) squeeze them dry. WHen broccoli softened, add 2 tbs paprika and handful of chopped parsley, few shakes of red pepper flakes, saute a few minutes more, add salt and black pepper.

Add to boiled rotini. Shave some parmesan on top.

I also "Do" this one with broccoli rabe, and the addition of cotechino sausage. Delicious.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 21:14:56 (permalink)
    I love broccoli rabe as a side dish...never put it in pasta...another one I'd like to try...I'm gonna gain a ton...these recipe's are too good!!!!
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/13 02:03:02 (permalink)
    cannellini beans
    tomatoes
    tuna
    ditalini
    garlic
    a little olive oil

^^tuna optional

or

cannellini beans
    broccoli
    ditalini
    tuna optional

christmas pasta:
    anchovies, drain out oil
    garlic cloves, chopped up
    cooked angel hair

heat canola oil in large frying or saucepan, add garlic. when light brown, add anchovy fillets. Get them all nice & oily & then mash the bejesus out of them with a fork. The point is to have very very tiny chunks if any. pasta should be boiling while you do this. When done, throw pasta in pan, mix up with anchovy sauce, serve.

^^My grama's recipe. you can't use the oil from the can of anchovies, although my cousin asked me if you could. UGH I could not even imagine that. My gram uses olive oil for salads only, canola for making stuff like this. Me & my dad love hot stuff but I can't imagine ruining the christmas pasta with red pepper flakes.

my mom likes to do this

hot cooked fettucine (or other pasta)
    alfredo sauce, thinned with a bit of milk
    mushrooms
    broccoli
    bacon bits sprinkled on top
    grilled chicken breast, optional
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/13 08:18:10 (permalink)
    Mom's fettucini dish is a real delicious classic!!!!...grilled chicken would be a great option!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 03:00:18 (permalink)
    My friends in Germany use pasta as a staple, like rice, and, ergo, you can put almost anything over it. Think: Asian ingredients, of course, beef stoganoff/noodles, my friends made an interesting lamb stew with pasta, saute/stir fry with egg/veggies, my daughter loves pasta w/green chile, and so on.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 11:58:01 (permalink)
    My mom got a Swiss Pasta dish from a Swiss friend in the 50's. It still is popular in our family...my own kids love it..Here it is...I urge you to try it!
    Irene's Swiss Pasta-Shell All In One

In a skillet,fry two onions in plenty(about a stick ) of butter 'til onions are soft.Add salt to taste.
    Add a hefty amount of ground up sirloin(perhaps two pounds or so..and stir til done and meat is broken up.Just drain some of the fat..it is better to use a less fatty ground meat.
    Separately cook some fresh or frozen peas(not canned).
    Prepare a pound of LARGE Pasta shells(NOT the jumbo stuffing shells)according to package.
    Drain pasta and add a little meat sauce to the drained pasta with the butter to prevent pasta from sticking
    Serve each plate by making a nice layer of pasta,followed by a nice amount of meat and onions with the butter .
    Spread a fair amount of cooked peas over the meat AND
    HERE'S THE MAGIC!!!
    Grate a lot of good Swiss Cheese over the hot other ingredients...Stir all together 'til cheese is melting.......and enjoy!!!! The shells tend to hold some of the mix inside,too.

Believe me so many people over the decades have loved this all in one...all the food groups in one....and so tasty!!!!

All of us kids are now married, and we make this for all our families....it has been printed in several cookbooks, to which we have donated the recipe....
    If you give it a try...let me know what you think...I have many other pasta recipes where that came from....Mom collected them over the decades! But this Swiss pasta dish is a favorite!!!
    Lee
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 12:58:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

I love broccoli rabe as a side dish...never put it in pasta...another one I'd like to try...I'm gonna gain a ton...these recipe's are too good!!!!

Lee:
    Orecchiette with broccoli rabe is pretty common in Apulia. I've made it myself. The hardest part was finding orecchiette around here. I finally found some at a local grocer and also at Whole Foods.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1