Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 139
RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 2:14 PM (permalink)
I have a kitchen gadget story to tell: 20+ years after a Las Vegas wedding ceremony, spouse and I decided to have our marriage validated in the Catholic Church. We had a 5 minute ceremony integrated into the regular Saturday AM mass. That night, we had a big casual outdoor party for friends, unconnected with the event earlier that day, although they were aware of it. I was distressed and embarrassed when everyone starting arriving with wrapped gifts. But it was OK because it was a ‘wedding shower’ of Most Useless Kitchen Gadgets.

Besides the mushroom brush, I received a Bigfoot (to join two ketchup bottles together so as not to waste a drop), a coffee filter separator, a plastic teapot-shaped receptacle for a used teabag, lemon wedge squeezer, pierogi sealer, previously owned salad shooter and many more. I don’t remember them all because some quickly found new homes.

Bless our state legislators for prohibiting items hanging from the inside rear-view mirrors. That saved me from witnessing the equivalent bounty of Mr. RubyRose’s Most Useless Vehicle Accessories – most notably a selection of unclothed and obviously surgically enhanced cardboard air fresheners.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
    RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 2:18 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

On a positive note, if I were to have one modern gadget in my kitchen, it would be a rice cooker.

Since I am fairly new to the site, this topic may well have been covered before. If not, I would love to hear your thoughts. I'd give my magic peeling wand to the best -- if I hadn't trampled it.

We recently talked about rice cookers. Just go to the Side Dishes Forum, then Side Orders, then Rice Is Nice for the discussion.

In my post there, I practically wrote a tome praising the worthy rice cooker. It's really too long to repost here.

I love the Panasonic rice cooker I use. I don't get a crust, but sometimes, some of the bottom grains will brown just a bit. Sometimes. But this doesn't disflavor the rice. I learned from an Asian immigrant friend how to use this rice cooker, and that's covered in my post. There are tips for minimizing or eliminating any crust on the bottom.

I'd hate for folks to think a rice cooker has drawbacks. I don't believe they do. In fact, I think they're a godsend. It should be noted that some may be more equal than others; I've never used any of the real cheap models.

Like Grampy, I would choose my rice cooker over any other modern kitchen gadget.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 2:24 PM (permalink)
      After the rice cooker, my selection might be the Vincent van Gogh coffee cup with disappearing ear.

dendan

• Total Posts: 479
        RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 2:25 PM (permalink)
        quote:

After the rice cooker, my selection might be the Vincent van Gogh coffee cup with disappearing ear.

Does the coffee leak when the ear is gone...sounds like a "second".

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 2:27 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by dendan

quote:

I make sure to stick a banana in the ear just in case.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
            RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 2:33 PM (permalink)
            quote:

quote:

quote:

I make sure to stick a banana in the ear just in case.

A sunflower or iris works better.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
              RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 3:05 PM (permalink)
              You are not supposed to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear !!!

At least .. that's what Ma always said

dendan

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 3:07 PM (permalink)
                I 'ear that!! LOL

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                  RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 4:50 PM (permalink)
                  lleechef - it's too cold up there to run around clothed only in a tie! I don't know what kind of laws y'all have up there, but running around nekkid down here is likely to get you in trouble!

Ruby - I liked your story! What did you do with all of that junk? My sister in law have decided that wedding showers are wasted on the young. You need one after you have been married for 20 years!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                    RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 4:56 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by yumbo

I'd have to say the Octodog is just about the most useless food invention yet: http://www.octodog.net.

-Yumbo

ps - I learned this from Dave Barry's XMas Gift Guide.

I just send my husband an email telling him I want one for Christmas. I never have anything to tell him when he asks me what I would like. I wonder if I'll get one?

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                      RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 5:28 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by lleechef

My favorite gadget has to be the mandoline. I've had it since 1979, bought it directly from the factory in France, paid $30........here, today, they go for around $250. I just used it Sunday to make a pommes darphin and will use it tomorrow night for the vegetables for shrimp stir-fry. I use it for french fries, shoestring fries, waffle fries, potato (or vegetable) chips, julienne vegetables, paper-thin slices of veggies for brunoise.........I love my mandoline!

Are you ever lucky. I recently bought one because there are so many recipes that call for using one. Was I ever disappointed. It was highly touted as being inexpensive and easy to use (from the salesperson at a famous cookware place in Philly. I get it home and am all excited and cannot understand the directions and have no idea on how to operate it.........could you come down to Maryland and show me how? I promise you all the best crab to crack and jumbo lump crabcakes that you can eat!

lleechef

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 7:49 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
                        Originally posted by lleechef

My favorite gadget has to be the mandoline. I've had it since 1979, bought it directly from the factory in France, paid $30........here, today, they go for around $250. I just used it Sunday to make a pommes darphin and will use it tomorrow night for the vegetables for shrimp stir-fry. I use it for french fries, shoestring fries, waffle fries, potato (or vegetable) chips, julienne vegetables, paper-thin slices of veggies for brunoise.........I love my mandoline!

Are you ever lucky. I recently bought one because there are so many recipes that call for using one. Was I ever disappointed. It was highly touted as being inexpensive and easy to use (from the salesperson at a famous cookware place in Philly. I get it home and am all excited and cannot understand the directions and have no idea on how to operate it.........could you come down to Maryland and show me how? I promise you all the best crab to crack and jumbo lump crabcakes that you can eat!

I'm on my way........start cookin the crabs.

Sundancer7

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 8:11 PM (permalink)
                          The most useful gadget I have ever bough is this cheap $5.00 slicer, shredder of veggies. I do not know the name but it is a plastic device that slices and shreds veggies. It has three inserts that slices, large shreds and small shreds veggies. I use it all the time. It has a device that you rest your veggie on to protect you while it shreds. I use it most of the time, but on two occasions I neglected to use and once I took off the top 1/8 inch of my forefinger. Damn, it hurt for a week and at that time, suits was essential in our company and I could not button my shirt or tie my tie. I wore a finger cot on the forefinger and took a lot of ribbing from my colleagues who indicated the finger cot looked like a condom for a midget. I changed to a bandaid.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                            RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 9:54 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Lone Star
                            Ruby - I liked your story! What did you do with all of that junk? My sister in law have decided that wedding showers are wasted on the young. You need one after you have been married for 20 years!

I bought a pretentious cookbook and had a friend make it and all the castoffs into a Gourmet Gadget gift basket, which I donated to a charity silent auction, where it sold for an amazing $68.00!

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                              RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/9/03 10:36 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by yumbo

I'd have to say the Octodog is just about the most useless food invention yet: http://www.octodog.net.

-Yumbo

ps - I learned this from Dave Barry's XMas Gift Guide.

And here I thought the grater that moves up and down (so your hand doesn't have to) was the most useless gadget. Still, it's good to know there's a safe way to make hot dog octopi.

For best gadget I have to agree on the thermometer with the outside-the-oven readout. Gotta put it on my list.

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 9:15 AM (permalink)
                                Speaking of cheese graters, I can wax poetic about my Microplane. I can also plane a door, if need be, as it was originally a carpenters tool.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                  RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                  My current favorite kitchen gadget is my battery powered pepper mill. I will also give the recommendation to the digital readout oven thermometer. It is essential to perfect roasts. And no one has mentioned the ubiquitous spaghetti fork. I use mine whenever I make pasta. It is the perfect item for mixing sauce and pasta together!

meowzart

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                    oh yeah, speaking of useless:
                                    http://www.thegadgetsource.com/080697483225.html

Can anybody hazard a guess as to why you want one of these and in what instance you would use it? Maybe lleechef knows....

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                                      RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by meowzart

Can anybody hazard a guess as to why you want one of these and in what instance you would use it? Maybe lleechef knows....

Perhaps if you weren't eating enough square meals.

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 9:49 AM (permalink)
                                        Somebody once gave me a spaghetti twirling fork, with a crank at one end to automatically twirl your pasta. Of course it is not as practical as the telescoping fork. With this you can extend it to a length of two feet, thereby obviating the impoliteness of reaching across the table.

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 9:57 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by i95

quote:

I've seen this gadget. It's an egg cuber. Supposedly you stick a peeled hard-boiled egg in it and refrigerate it. The result is a square egg. It's perfect if you like square eggs, but worthless if you don't.

i95

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:

quote:
                                            Originally posted by i95

quote:

I've seen this gadget. It's an egg cuber. Supposedly you stick a peeled hard-boiled egg in it and refrigerate it. The result is a square egg. It's perfect if you like square eggs, but worthless if you don't.

"Squeggs," no?

(Please send $ 35, Texas sausage and tie to i95 c/o web master.)

dendan

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 10:20 AM (permalink)
                                              SQUAREGGS

dendan

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                                Useful - pickle plucker
                                                Wothless - pie bird to let heat/steam escape

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

SQUAREEGS

Shame they weren't round. We could call them Fowl Balls.

meowzart

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

Wothless - pie bird to let heat/steam escape

Two people I work with swear by their pie birds...And these are pretty serious cooks/bakers/entertainers. I haven't actually tried one. Anybody else?

i95

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                      Shame on you, clothier, for your pop culture omission that the theme of the (Jami Gertz vehicle) television show "Square Pegs" was performed by non other than The Waitresses.

This group's name, alone, would have qualified for you to reference on the Road Food site. But the fact that you seemed to have purposely strayed from the very group that gave us the classic 80's mantra ode, "I Know What Boys Like," is downright shameful.

i95

• Location: Sin City, VA
                                                        RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                                        Actually, I'm pretty sure that the (L.A.-based?) Busboys preceded the Akron, Ohio-based Waitresses by about a year (1980 vs. 1981). Now, if you just tell me where Wall of Voodoo is now, you win a Romeo Void album (yes, album).

i95

• Location: Sin City, VA
                                                          RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                                          You just left the '80s and stepped further back in the '70s. You're on your own there, clothier. Although, when you see 'em, tell War that, indeed, war is good for absolutely nothing.

lleechef

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Wed, 12/10/03 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

I honestly have no idea why anyone would want a square egg so that makes it an even MORE useless gadget! And at $2.99 it's a bargain! I want one!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 139

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com