Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 139
lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/12/03 10:23 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

You've never heard the expression "turning Japanese"?

No. What's that? Am I gonna get in trouble here?? About that Japanese weenie playing comment? I'm in enough trouble already, Grampy, BUT.......please.......do tell!

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
    RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/12/03 10:34 PM (permalink)
    Hmm. Let us be historical here to save face. It was an army term in the second world war for self indulgence.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
      RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/12/03 10:41 PM (permalink)
      Grampy, that was more info about weenies than I needed......but.......thanks!

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
        RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Sat, 12/13/03 12:53 AM (permalink)
        Grampy, I had no idea that was an old term! I honestly never heard of it until there was a pop song in the eighties called 'I'm Turning Japanese (I Really Think So)'. I had never heard of it before.

This place is truly educational.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
          RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Sat, 12/13/03 3:05 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by tiki

quote:
          Originally posted by Helen Maxwell

quote:
          Originally posted by yumbo

I'd have to say the Octodog is just about the most useless food invention yet: http://www.octodog.net.

And on the note of strange things people do with hotdogs, I present this: http://www.sub.nipponham.co.jp/winny/kazari/

I'm somewhere between impressed and terrified.

--Helen

Now THATS scary!!!

Wow. Wow. If someone presented me with those hot dog reindeer I think I would just collapse in fits of ecstacy! And I had thought the "salmon" made out of mousse and cucumbers in my Olde English cookbook was impressive. The hotdog reindeer SHAMES the food of kings!

Michael Stern

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Sat, 12/13/03 3:24 AM (permalink)
            I bought Ginsu knives about 20 years ago, and still use them, probably more than my fancy-pants German ones. I lost the amazing inside-the-egg scrambler (a Ron Popeil special), which I bought as a joke, but actually wound up using ... to save a mixing bowl when making scrambled eggs. On the other hand, I never was tempted by Mr. Dentist TV ads to start doing my own dental work.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
              RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Mon, 12/15/03 8:47 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
              Originally posted by i95

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the (L.A.-based?) Busboys preceded the Akron, Ohio-based Waitresses by about a year (1980 vs. 1981). Now, if you just tell me where Wall of Voodoo is now, you win a Romeo Void album (yes, album).

In Tijuana. Eating barbecued iguana.

And the Bus Boys played my one of my brother's frat parties around 1978...I'll ask him the exact year if you want.

RubyRose: I use my mushroom brush all the time!!!

My most useful gadget: my weird whisk from IKEA

Least useful: MY brother's friend make Eggzact egg timers...they are heat-sensitive and tell you how done your egg is by the color. Similar to mood rings for eggs.

ET:

It would surprise me if it was the same Bus Boys in 1978 but who knows? Regarding Wall of Voodoo, however, is there a more distinguishable 1980's voice more than Stan Ridgway's. Perhaps the late Country Dick Montana's from the Beat Farmers? God rest his soul.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Mon, 12/15/03 9:43 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by clothier

The Beat Farmers? Whoa.

That one's a little out of my wheel house.

Clothier- heading back to the 70's.

No "California Kid," clothier? BTW, I just e-mailed you this morning. More importantly, rock-on.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                  RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Thu, 12/25/03 12:01 PM (permalink)
                  Oh no! The Vogt family now owns a Bacon Wave. I just used it...it's not bad. And I would rather fight than give up my precious Pocket Fisherman. Long live Ron Popeil!

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Thu, 12/25/03 6:19 PM (permalink)
                    And what has everyone gotten this year......

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                      RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Thu, 12/25/03 10:53 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

white belt (auotgraphed by Herb Tarlek)
                      I have my doubts that anyone not from Cincinnati would know who Herb Tarlek is/was.

I suppose he is an iconic figure for anyone in sales......:-)

EliseT

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/26/03 2:21 AM (permalink)
                        Isn't he the guy from WKRP???

The only kitchen gadget I got this year was a cocktail strainer in my stocking. But I did get a set of drill bits and a nice Swiss Army knife. I can't help but wonder if that is why the Swiss decided to be neutral. Maybe their hand-to-hand-combat tactics were just useless with a 3-inch blade. Oh, and I got a corian cutting board inexplicably in the shape of a teapot.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                          RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/26/03 2:58 AM (permalink)
                          I'm blessed with hardwood cutting boards, all made by Appalachian craftsmen. But the cutting boards I use most these days are those sheets of thick, smooth surface plastic that can be washed germ-free in the sink or dishwasher. They're perfect when working with meat, and they're large enough that cut-up vegetables stay on the sheet for easy handling.

Wish I could remember what they're called. The ones I have were a gift back around '96. For a long time I couldn't find them anywhere around here. Then last summer I saw 3 different brands in Bed, Bath and Beyond. It appears they've caught on.

4fish

• Total Posts: 214
                            RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/26/03 11:13 AM (permalink)
                            I got a gadget from my Mom. Judging by the package it's a cross between a whisk and a pair of tongs. I'm dubious! Anyone ever used one of these?

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                              RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/26/03 11:43 AM (permalink)
                              quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd have to say the Octodog is just about the most useless food invention yet: http://www.octodog.net.

And on the note of strange things people do with hotdogs, I present this: http://www.sub.nipponham.co.jp/winny/kazari/

--Helen

Be sure to look at the frankfurter spectacular
                              http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

Are the colors faded out on those 1970s recipe cards or is the food...*supposed* to look like that?

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                                RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 12/26/03 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

Clothier- checking inventory

Pet Rock
                                Mood Ring
                                Chia Pet (still in the box)
                                Ginsu (still sharp, but tip broken from whacked it inot the tree)
                                Incense (nope, makes me sneeze)
                                8 tracks
                                leisure suit
                                bell bottoms
                                white belt (auotgraphed by Herb Tarlek)

did I forget anything?

Why, the white shoes that go with the white belt, of course! (I still remember the White Shoes and Belt conspiracy of the '70s...)

EliseT

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Sat, 12/27/03 3:42 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Vince Macek

quote:

quote:

quote:

--Helen

Be sure to look at the frankfurter spectacular
                                  http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

Are the colors faded out on those 1970s recipe cards or is the food...*supposed* to look like that?

Food photography has come a long way! I have a collection of unappetizing old food photographs that seem to be intentionally encouraging one to diet. Orange meat, lime green veggies, with whole raw onions and the like as garnishes. My favorites are foods fashioned to look like something else. My absolute fave is a cheese ball "pineapple" with a real pineapple leaf top decorated with sliced olives. Mmmmmm.

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Sat, 12/27/03 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                    Fortunately, I was spared useless food gadgets this year (unless you include the ballpoint pen with a radio in it that you can listen to Car Talk while writing out your grocery list). On the positive side, I was given a W├╝sthof Japanese slicing knife. Most of my knives are 20-year-old Sabatier carbon steel, but this dandy, with a razor-sharp edge and perfect balance, has earned a place right next to them.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
                                      RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Sat, 12/27/03 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by JimInKy

I'm blessed with hardwood cutting boards, all made by Appalachian craftsmen. But the cutting boards I use most these days are those sheets of thick, smooth surface plastic that can be washed germ-free in the sink or dishwasher. They're perfect when working with meat, and they're large enough that cut-up vegetables stay on the sheet for easy handling.

Wish I could remember what they're called. The ones I have were a gift back around '96. For a long time I couldn't find them anywhere around here. Then last summer I saw 3 different brands in Bed, Bath and Beyond. It appears they've caught on.

I used to insist on beautiful wooden cutting boards, too, but the idea of germs, no matter what I did (and somehow bleaching them seemed wrong, so I didn't)...

Anyway if the white cutting boards you're referring to from Bed, Bath & Beyond are the same ones I picked up there last year, I got a "buy one, get a slightly smaller one" deal from there! I like 'em!

But I'm so obsessive compulsive about certain things that I actually use those (please don't laugh at me) over another, larger (16 x 20) Corningware Counter Saver. I'm very funny about my custom-made work island that I've literally been schlepping around with me for 16 years, wherever I moved! The top and back of it is white and in pristine shape because of the TWO Counter Savers I have on it!

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
                                        RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Sat, 12/27/03 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                        After my last post, I realized I'm in the "hamburger" category, and I wanted to add that a very useful, albeit very cheapo, gadget that I have is an aluminum burger press. I think this cost me 99 cents at China Outlet (that place rocks).

4fish

• Total Posts: 214
                                          RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 12/30/03 3:07 PM (permalink)
                                          Thanks, Clothier! I haven't taken it out of the package yet but maybe I'll try flipping French Toast with it this weekend.

Sushi_Girl

• Total Posts: 228
                                            RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Thu, 01/8/04 10:09 AM (permalink)
                                            I actually own a Ronco food dehydrator that my mtoher ordered 5 of off the television and i cant live without it. I make dried herbs, raisins, and various other mummified foodstuffs in it. I also own one of those "egg mood rings" and find it very useful indeed. I used to own a rice cooker, but found that i make better rice in a nice old pot.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                                              RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 04/6/04 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                              I know this post is late but I have to tell my story.
                                              My daughter bought me a "Pasta Pot" for Christmas. Well, I kept
                                              forgetting to use it until one Sunday afternoon I was getting ready to make spaghetti and she reminded me about my pot. I had my sauce simmering and proceeded to cook my spaghetti. Well,when it came time to drain the spaghetti, it drained ok, but then I could not get the lid off of the pot. We ran cold water over it, and my husband, daughter and I all kept trying. Finally, my husband had to get a screw driver and wedge the lid off. By then , the spaghetti was rather soggy. I have not used the pot again. I'll just use my old faithful colander from now on.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                                                RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 04/6/04 11:22 AM (permalink)
                                                All right, everyone has seen the egg peeler on TV.

My wife is known for her deviled eggs and does large numbers of them at times.

We ended up with one of these peelers. We made several valiant efforts but we were unable to get 1 egg to peel. These were not difficult eggs to peel, we know about those.

Fess up people, I know someone else out there has one of these worthless devices.

Cakes

Grampy

RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Tue, 04/6/04 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by emsmom

I know this post is late but I have to tell my story.
                                                  My daughter bought me a "Pasta Pot" for Christmas. Well, I kept
                                                  forgetting to use it until one Sunday afternoon I was getting ready to make spaghetti and she reminded me about my pot. I had my sauce simmering and proceeded to cook my spaghetti. Well,when it came time to drain the spaghetti, it drained ok, but then I could not get the lid off of the pot. We ran cold water over it, and my husband, daughter and I all kept trying. Finally, my husband had to get a screw driver and wedge the lid off. By then , the spaghetti was rather soggy. I have not used the pot again. I'll just use my old faithful colander from now on.

I thought I mentioned it somewhere, but I have a great gadget that is shaped like a half-moon, with holes, that fits over the pot and allows you to strain directly from it. Amazon has one that is similar one, but mine is a little wider and has side handles:

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                                    • Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                    RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Thu, 07/8/04 6:32 PM (permalink)
                                                    Grampy
                                                    I recently saw a great big, $35 or something like that, devise manufactured under the Black and Decker name----It is made to take up valuable space on the counter and open jars. I don't remember opening enough jars in the last 20 years to spend $35 (+ or -). It is really a something no home should be without. Not !!!!

Grampy

• Location: Greenfield, MA
                                                      RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Thu, 07/8/04 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Grampy
                                                      I recently saw a great big, $35 or something like that, devise manufactured under the Black and Decker name----It is made to take up valuable space on the counter and open jars. I don't remember opening enough jars in the last 20 years to spend $35 (+ or -). It is really a something no home should be without. Not !!!!

AM:

If you are talking abour the item above, it's a pasta strainer that costs only a few bucks. I still use my freebie rubber jar opener that works like a charm.

kdiammond

• Total Posts: 133
                                                        RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Thu, 07/8/04 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        I have and actually use (fairly often) a dumpling press. I got it for a buck at the dollar store. It opens into two half moon shapes and has crimps at the edge. I just put in a piece of wonton skin, a bit of filling and voila! Makes lovely wontons for soup with ruffled edges, and pretty good pierogis and raviolis.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                                          • Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                          RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 07/9/04 8:24 AM (permalink)
                                                          Grampy,

I have the same type of jar opener you have, and $35 to spend on wine, women and song. I gotta admit you don't get much of any of them for $35 any more though. My jar opener is blue and says "Yankeegas, The Northeast Utilities System". Cost nothing and hides in a drawer when not in use, takes up no valuable counter space. By the way, I read your Martini post and all those who responded and am about to try one of each described. One at each of the Eye-tral-yon restaurants you reommended.

kdiammond---anything you got for a buck that works is a big plus. How did you fit the viola into the wanton skin ????

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                                                            • Joined: 11/13/2003
                                                            • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
                                                            RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets Fri, 07/9/04 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                                            A cool gadget I have is a garlic peeler. It's a tube of some kind of plastic, about four inches long and an inch in diameter. Put garlic cloves in the tube, roll it between your hands a few times, and out pops perfectly peeled cloves. Even easier than the smash-with-a-knife technique.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 139

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com