The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2004/07/09 13:41:41 (permalink)
Funny how I haven't thought about it before, but the gadget I use more than any other is a cocktail shaker.
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2004/07/09 14:29:06 (permalink)

I will admit to purchasing the magic knife. And guess what, it works great. When I make bbq I always serve paper thin cut potatoes deep fried in yet another gadget, the roto fryer. You can buzz through a potato in under minute. After lending it so my office manager for a cook out she had me get 3 of them for family members.
Peanut
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2004/12/31 18:25:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Somebody once gave me a spaghetti twirling fork, with a crank at one end to automatically twirl your pasta. Of course it is not as practical as the telescoping fork. With this you can extend it to a length of two feet, thereby obviating the impoliteness of reaching across the table.

My family had a spaghetti fork with a crank (handle) to wind the spaghetti. It has been lost. It would mean a great deal to my 90 year old mother to have another one. Any ideas or does anyone have one to sell???
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2004/12/31 18:46:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut

quote:

Somebody once gave me a spaghetti twirling fork, with a crank at one end to automatically twirl your pasta. Of course it is not as practical as the telescoping fork. With this you can extend it to a length of two feet, thereby obviating the impoliteness of reaching across the table.

My family had a spaghetti fork with a crank (handle) to wind the spaghetti. It has been lost. It would mean a great deal to my 90 year old mother to have another one. Any ideas or does anyone have one to sell???

Check E-Bay, perhaps. My telescoping cranking spaghetti fork with the optional "meatball grabber" is battery powered...
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2005/01/02 07:53:56 (permalink)
that magic knife was cool-- where did you get that??

ok-- here's my idea of a VERY USEFUL gadget........... i've used one of these sevaral times over the years-- but at my current job i've really seen how useful this can be.. an apple slicer.. the things that you hold in your hand and can core and slice up an apple (in to wedge type slices) in a matter of seconds.. working in a kindergarten setting with 5 and 6 year olds-- you realize just how important it is to have an apple cut up for you.. especially when you have no front teeth to bite in to them with!! i have seen kids trying to eat an apple by picking it apart with a fork.. making more of a mess than they should and getting more of the apple all over the place (themselves included) than they'd actually get in their mouths..... so-- i got one for them.. they think it's great and it saves us a lot of clean up!!!
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2005/02/25 14:28:36 (permalink)
A wonderful gadget is the microwave rice cooker, less than $10 at Wal-Mart. It is much more foolproof than the electric ones.

Question: what kind of hamburger press should I buy?
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2005/02/25 15:20:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

Question: what kind of hamburger press should I buy?

antibacterial hand soap
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2005/02/25 15:32:47 (permalink)
That and a double grind from the Kitchenaid. Any other ideas?
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2005/02/25 15:53:28 (permalink)
quote:
that magic knife was cool-- where did you get that??

ebay!
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2005/02/27 18:07:18 (permalink)
I asked my daughter who works at Bed,Bath and Beyond for a rollup type plastic cutting board,(easy to clean and store and you just curve it to drop chopped stuff into the pan or pot) she got a set of 2 for around 5bucks, the very next day I found the exact(even the package picture was identical)thing at the corner everything store for a dollar!! My other fav gadget is my stick blender, I can make omelets almost as fluffy as WaffleHouse!! The most useless is the double sided flouring contraption that you put the flour and intended in one side attach a lid full of holes then a sencond container, shake, flip and now u have 5 dishes to wash instead of 3, it does however make fore a good double pie/cake carrier
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/01 22:17:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut

quote:

I know this is a real old thread but just seen one on www.stupid.com good luck they might have a few left, never know with the holidays and all. The most useless gift I've recieved is a battery powered pizza wheel. Still have it in it's original box. Chow Jim
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/01 22:38:43 (permalink)
Where should I start? We have the smallest George Forman and the largets and love them both except for the coating coming off of the big one. Our rice cooker takes the guesswork out of making rice and vegetables. We got a Black and Decker jar opener because the parents have trouble opening some jars. Works wonderfully. The Presto Pizzaz pizza oven seems to do a better job than the oven does. The salad shooter makes short work out of slicing potatoes too.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/01 23:35:38 (permalink)
My Boerner V-Slicer is a tool I use several times a week.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/02 08:51:15 (permalink)
Beautiful hands and nice presentation Chow jim
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/02 11:38:30 (permalink)
My most useful: the butcher knife like the one from the Halloween movies, the rice steamer that is used to steam mussels, the garlic press, the handheld flour press that I use to mash 'taters and mash veggies etc. etc., and the skewers used to make kebabs on the Weber grill, and yes the George Foreman grill which is very nice to have when there's just two of you.
The most useless: I hate those plastic blender things for veggies --- the ones you use to make cole slaw, etc. They always seem to make a mess and are a pain to clean and the butcher knife and block are just as handy. And, the pop corn popper --- I still find the good old fashioned pot makes the best pop corn and it is festive to hear the kernals hitting the lid.

Andrea
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/02 13:57:47 (permalink)
I got a new knife that's great: the Wusthoff offset bread knife. Maybe the neatest feature is the "reverse scalloped" edge, so one can sharpen and steel it easily. My most useless gadget may be the Chef's Choice knife sharpener: it seems to put an edge that's just not quite "right" and is difficult to steel. It also won't sharpen all the way to the bolster. Back to a triangular stone for me!
Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/02 14:26:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

I got a new knife that's great: the Wusthoff offset bread knife. Maybe the neatest feature is the "reverse scalloped" edge, so one can sharpen and steel it easily. My most useless gadget may be the Chef's Choice knife sharpener: it seems to put an edge that's just not quite "right" and is difficult to steel. It also won't sharpen all the way to the bolster. Back to a triangular stone for me!
Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/02 14:29:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Sorry for the double....
After some trials and tribulation, I discovered by re=reading the instruction booklet that you MUST NOT steel the edge of a knife sharpened with the Chef's Choice sharpener. The gadget puts on a different type of edge. I just re-sharpen with the machine when things get dull. (Literally)
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: The Most Worthless/Useful Gadgets 2006/01/02 14:31:59 (permalink)
Fishmonger, I think all the Wusthof knives are great. I've accumulated several over the years when my budget would allow.

Now to the truly useless gadget of the year, IMHOP: the mashed potato maker. This is an electrical appliance with revolving and rotating beaters similar to those of a small hand mixer. You peel and cut up your potatoes and put them in the vessel and turn it on and it boils them. Then you take them out and drain them and put them back and add your butter, milk, seasonings, whatever, and the beaters. Then you turn it on and the beaters mash your potatoes. What cretin thought up this one? Saves no time, costs money, performs not one more kitchen function. I saw it in Chefs Catalog and can't believe their buyer fell for this.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1