The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Author
kirstine
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 266
2009/02/24 21:26:28 (permalink)

The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

The Motoraunt
12410, 66st NW,
Edmonton, AB,
T5B 1K4

Myself and my partner have just moved to Edmonton.  I had read somewhere online about this little diner in Edmonton that was basically constructed of a large bus and with myself and my partner having a bit of an interest in anything eccentric decided we were going to visit this place the first week we arrived in Edmonton, so that we did today and I'm glad!!

It is located in the Northern part of Edmonton and a little bit away from most things, had we not had sat-nav we would never have found it.  It certainly is an interesting little place located by some railway tracks and there are no signs present to indicate that what your looking at actually is the Motoraunt, there is just a little open sign located in the yard.  Once you reach the little door, you will come into a narrow corridor and pass by the kitchen, there is a small set of steps up into the actual bus part of the restaurant or walk on into the dining room which is a room built onto the bus itself.

The moment we walked in we were greeted by the owner, she immediately handed us out menus and proceeded to offer us anywhere we wanted to sit and informed us they were only licensed upstairs, this surprised me as I never expected them to be licensed. We took a seat in the main dining area of the diner and spent a while talking to this lady (never got her name), she was very interested in where we had came from and how we had known about the place and was extremely flattered that we had visited.  She then proceeded to tell us the history of the place and brought us some old pictures over.

Basically it came around in 1983 when her husband had a dream of buying a large RV and making it into a mobile restaurant then driving across Alberta, British Columbia then eventually down to California, during this time they would live in the top quarters of the bus and have the restaurant in the bottom.  Unfortunately they never attained this dream so basically then her husband and her set about creating a unique dining experience, gradually they built bits onto the bus over the years to allow more room for diners.  The bus is still mechanically sound and ready to go should they wanna pack up and decided to get on the road.

We both loved the whole "whackiness" of the place and it felt soo warm and welcoming, a bit like going to grandma's house rather than a restaurant and I was amazed we were the first customers of the day (it was around 1pm) but I suppose it being -18 and continuously snowing in Edmonton didn't help.

Anyway for the food:

It's a small menu offering burgers, fries, hotdogs, breakfast and a few sandwiches plus alcoholic drinks, soft drinks and ice creams.  You can order what is known as the "monster burger" which is 2 1/2 pounds of pure beef, the menu states no bread, fillers or seasonings are added to the meat. We both ordered the motor burger which I think was around 8 ounces, Darren went for the homemade potato chips and myself the homemade fries which are both made from russet potatoes and fried in canola oil.  We waited maybe 15-20 minutes for our food to arrive but that gave us plenty of time to walk around the place and take a few pictures.  When we did get our food we were two very happy diners, the burgers were substantial and the fries and potato chips were hot, crisp and delicious.  The burger was garnished with lettuce, 2 large slices of tomato, lots of onion, homemade tomato relish and a pickle.  It was messy to eat but delicious, probably one of the best burgers I've had.  Some argue it is the best in Edmonton, I can’t comment there but it certainly pleased me.  We had root beers and grape juice to wash it all down....served in jars with handles of course. Our bill for the two meals and two drinks came to $19.  I can't wait to go back!

Pictures: (click on them for full size)

16 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/24 22:18:31 (permalink)
    /me stands and applauds  

Very nice job with the pics and writeup missy!  That looks like a wonderful burger.  I was going to ask you if those were duck-fat or similar fries but it occurred to me coming from the UK you might not think that was a big deal.  And the place--I love those cobbled-together places, and on the base of a bus . . terrific.  Thanks kirstin!  So how are you guys enjoying the other side of the pond so far?
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/24 23:24:08 (permalink)
    I had an odd problem.  All the thumbnails opened up til I got to the burgers.  Afeeeter that it wouldnt download.  I closed the browser and tried again.  This time none of the photos would link.
    That must be a heck of a wagon.  Does it really have a second floor for living quarters?
    It must be huge.
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/24 23:46:59 (permalink)
    We're really enjoying it here, hopefully it remains that way!  Certainly seems more relaxed than Northern Ireland strangely!  We're actually not gonna be living in Edmonton itself now, we've just got an appartment in a nice little town called Leduc outside it.  I do really like Edmonton though, it has a small town feel plus we've found it to be good for dining out!

The second floor of the bus is just tables.  I think the original plan was to use the top floor as living quarters when they went out on the road but since that never happened I guess they didn't have to!  It really is an interesting place, alot of character and somewhat whacky considering the year round lit artificial Christmas tree!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/25 08:59:44 (permalink)
    Great report kistinem1, we hope to hear more from you! I've been as far as Lethbridge in Alberta, lots to see and do! I hope you get a chance to explore Western Canada and share it with us!
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/25 11:44:48 (permalink)
    Route 99 Diner
    8820 99 St NW,
    Edmonton, AB

We decided we wanted a pizza lastnight so went for a drive around Old Strathcona in Edmonton to see if we could find anywhere that looked interesting.  We were driving down a street when we came across a diner called "Route 99 Diner" so Darren turned back and we decided to go there instead.  It seemed to be modelled on a 50's themed diner and was complete with working jukebox and memorabilia and just a casual and relaxed place to be, not the fanciest place in the world but it seemed to be a favourite amongst locals too as they were a few who stopped in to have a snack, watch the hockey game and have a beer.

The menu was typical diner food, breakfast, pizzas, burgers, salads and things like meatloaf dinners.  I went for the donair which was spicy beef, tomato, lettuce and some sort of sauce which I cannot remember the name of in a pita, this came with hot salted fries and slaw.  Really really enjoyed this, lots of flavour and really great fries.  My partner went for a personal size beef and cheese pizza which he said was also very good.  They also had a selection of desserts; these included rice pudding, chocolate cake, lemon meringue, cheesecake and icecreams.  We skipped dessert this time.

The two meals and two hot chocolates came to $21.

We didn't get many pictures as it was dark and they always come out blurry without a tripod,  here's a couple of pictures of the food though:

HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/25 18:19:56 (permalink)
    Very nice reports.  Please keep them coming.  I'm Canadian but now live in the US.  Would you please eat some poutine for me and wash it down with a Labatt? 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/25 18:49:43 (permalink)
    Good job on the report. Thank You.
    Question--Semi-tongue-in-cheek,  The $19 check for the Burger meal was not in US dollars, right? (Dumb question, I know!! but I have lost track of the exchange rate!)

Question 2- Genuine Tongue-in-cheek   What is all that white stuff around the outside of the diner? I thought you were in "Southern Canada ???"
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2886
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/25 20:11:10 (permalink)
    kirstinem 1 -

Nice report...thnaks for sharing!  The burger looks really good.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/02/25 21:38:30 (permalink)
    Kirstinem1,
       Excellent report! The Motoraunt seems just idiosyncratic enough to be a real treasure, good food and all. Keep those reports on your local Edmonton area eateries coming!
       Maybe when you've been there long enough, you'll get a feel for the local specialties and can tell us what we could expect if we ventured there.
       Thanks for a great writeup!
          Unfrozenly (it's 40 degrees F out tonight here), Ort. Carlton in Warmrainy Athens, Georgia.
    post edited by Ort. Carlton. - 2009/02/25 21:39:50
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/05/18 19:14:45 (permalink)
    We returned to the Motoraunt on Saturday as we passing by and thought we might as well call in.  Just thought I'd share a few more pictures:

The Food:

Another Motor Burger for me, loaded with homemade tomato ketchup, cheese, pickles, onions, lettuce and tomato:

Darren went for the grilled chicken breast sandwich with Swiss cheese and bacon and some russet homemade fries:

Some more restaurant pics:

Darren suggested we go for the 2 lb Monster Burger next time which I definately will have to document.  Check out this link to see the size of one... http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2008/03/10/edmonton-a-burger-the-size-of-my-head/

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/05/20 13:57:31 (permalink)
    That place is seriously cute.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 899
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/05/20 14:22:27 (permalink)
    kirstinem1, this is a great report!  You may be our only reporter from Alberta -- and it's perfect timing, as Amy & I are planning a cross-Canada trip from Vancouver to Toronto in late July.  I hope you're up for meeting, because I'll certainly email you with details.  Keep those reports coming!    Chris
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/05/20 14:49:41 (permalink)
    ]
    ayersian

kirstinem1, this is a great report!  You may be our only reporter from Alberta -- and it's perfect timing, as Amy & I are planning a cross-Canada trip from Vancouver to Toronto in late July.  I hope you're up for meeting, because I'll certainly email you with details.  Keep those reports coming!    Chris

That sounds like an excellent trip! Would love to eventually get round to doing something like that myself, we had talked about driving across Canada and down to Vermont, it will be a looooong drive though! lol Yes we would certainly be up for meeting in July, feel free to email me the details!
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 645
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/05/22 01:18:01 (permalink)
    This looks like a really funky and wacky place.
    chrissie41
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/05/22 08:27:59 (permalink)
    awesome burger, love the melty cheese.
    and that kittay is seriously cute~!
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Motoraunt- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 2009/12/19 20:14:31 (permalink)
    http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/local/article/387791--hitting-the-road

The Motoraunt may have to close after the city upped the rent! Such a shame! :(
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1