The Mystery of Peter Dawson

Author
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 842
2008/09/13 00:07:56 (permalink)

The Mystery of Peter Dawson

Back in the 60's, as a fan of Leslie Charteris, I gave my business to Peter Dawson scotch . I liked it.After all, if it was good enough for Simon Templar....
At any rate, sometime in the ensuing years, the Pennsylvania State liquor store system stopped carrying it, and I moved on.Pennsylvania has always been good at protecting its citizens from excessive diversity in their choice of potables.
When I moved to the Delmarva area,where choices were somewhat less limited, I tried my old favorite again, and found it incredibly raw and harsh,
What happened?
Does anyone know?
Was there an acquisition or a re-formulation?
I know that that was what happened to several brands of pipe tobacco that my late father had favored.
Does anybody have any information to offer?

7 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: The Mystery of Peter Dawson 2008/09/13 09:48:36 (permalink)
    I know nothing of Peter Dawson scotch, but I have good reason to think it never was very good if it was the favorite of a British spy - those strange folks are, after all, well known for their flagrant bad taste

What I can suggest is that your taste buds have developed in a good way - most likely due to drinking better scotches- and what you thought fine a few years ago you now recognize as swill fit only for the British snooping classes.

Cheers, John
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: The Mystery of Peter Dawson 2008/09/13 10:31:55 (permalink)
    Having read all "The Saint" books and quoting "That's what the actress told the Bishop"
    (or versa visa) on many appropriate and in-appropriate occasions I can understand your
    desire to be Saint-like. I also think that George Sanders was perfect in the part.
    But I disliked scotch of any sorts from the first sip, which almost became the last. So
    became my drink of last resorts-----only when there was no bourbon, rye, Irish, Canadian
    or hooch-----so Phil, Peter Dawson will always be a mystery to me. Maybe Simon can solve
    the case for you !!!!!!

John, have you no love for our cousins across the sea ??????? I understand Philby
    loved Peter Dawson and lots of other "boys" from Oxford, or was it Cambridge, old chap?????
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: The Mystery of Peter Dawson 2008/09/13 10:59:40 (permalink)
    Back in the good old days a buddy of mine owned a Volvo 1800, the car Roger Moore
    drove in the TV series. Moore was the second best Saint as far as I am concerned.
    I loved driving in the Volvo with Frank, but he never let me behind the wheel. He
    drove it in the Bridgehampton Road Race when there were fewer houses and people out there.
    Great car !!!! Great TV series !!!!!! Menz-a-menz movies !!!!!!!!! Fun books !!!!

Thanks for the memories Phil. By the way, do you own a racetrack in Calif ????
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: The Mystery of Peter Dawson 2008/09/13 11:38:56 (permalink)
    Ive bought a few bottles of scotch a a present for my dad. I only got one for myself. Afte reading how wonderful Haig&Haig Pinch Dimple was I in vested in a bottle at the liquor on the base in Berlin. I guess the stuff was a class act, but I could never drink it as the medicine flavor just turnd me off.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The Mystery of Peter Dawson 2008/09/13 17:18:02 (permalink)
    1. Don't own a racetrack
    2. Like Haig and Haig sometimes. My father favored it, when he could afford it. When he couldn't, he drank Inver House,which I found undrinkable, so, that leads me to believe that, even back in the 60's, I knew the difference between good and bad scotch. The present Peter dawson is different, I just wish I knew why
    3. What DID the actress say to the bishop?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5406
    RE: The Mystery of Peter Dawson 2008/09/26 01:39:12 (permalink)
    20 bucks father, just like downtown.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The Mystery of Peter Dawson 2008/09/26 09:02:37 (permalink)
    He works in mysterious ways
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1